Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

asur posted:

Texas, Florida, Atlanta, and DC are all options with a general lack of deathscape or murk.

Note and warning: Texas, Florida, and Atlanta each have their own version of deathscape and murk. This year was "nice", but 100+ days straight over 90 with 30+ days over 100 and humidity to match is the norm in Texas. I've found myself favoring the moderate New England weather, even with the early sunset and cold nor'easters. Do wish we could get all of New England in the Atlantic Time Zone year-round, but the populous commuter corner of CT would hate being in a different time zone than NYC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

My wife wants some acreage where stuff will grow, things are quiet, and water exists so she can do flower farming. So this takes me out of the immediate surroundings of major cities--including Portland in that regard. But stuff does grow there.

There are some other options going along the East Coast but I'm just posting about Portland here so that there's something to concentrate on.

I was just giving Rochester as an example of what did bother me when I was younger. I might actually be fine in Portland but I haven't really been there for a protracted enough amount of time to be able to tell accurately. I wasn't ever actually diagnosed with SAD, but rather it was something I picked up on afterwards.

There are some tier 3 cities in the Midwest where you can get that within 30-45 min of downtown. Market in places like st louis exist, but they're nowhere near as good as the tier 1 or 2 cities. University town can be ok too if you're up for a less developed city.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
I just moved to Colorado this summer from Nebraska. Im enjoying the massive amount of sun.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
DC gets a little bit of everything. You might get a tornado, you might get a hurricane, you might get a nor'easter that brings two feet of snow (although global warming is making that less likely), you might get 100 degree days with 80% humidity (global warming is making this more likely).

And if that's not enough you might get a 5.8 earthquake.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

barkbell posted:

I just moved to Colorado this summer from Nebraska. Im enjoying the massive amount of sun.

I've had Denver somewhere on my theoretical places-to-move list for a while since it seems to hit a combination of bearable weather (lots of snow but I've lived in Maine so you know, whatever), relatively dense population within city limits, a metro area that should be fairly resilient against future climate change impact (especially once you count the altitude variations), nice sightseeing and natural surroundings, and a comfortably non-chud political lean. Plus housing is, by the west coast standards I'm used to, dirt cheap even for stuff that's within a 20-minute walk of downtown.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Nov 16, 2021

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Roadie posted:

I've had Denver somewhere on my theoretical places-to-move list for a while since it seems to hit a combination of bearable weather (lots of snow but I've lived in Maine so you know, whatever), relatively dense population within city limits, a metro area that should be fairly resilient against future climate change impact (especially once you count the altitude variations), nice sightseeing and natural surroundings, and a comfortably non-chud political lean. Plus housing is, by the west coast standards I'm used to, dirt cheap even for stuff that's within a 20-minute walk of downtown.

Colorado does strike an incredible balance for a lot of factors. We very, very nearly moved there in the before times of the pandemic. Boulder specifically, because cities with urban areas larger than like 500-800k are overrated and not actually worth the added pain of living in, and cities in the 150k range provide the best balance of stuff & life.

Then again, we wound up moving to the forest in a town of 2600 people, so I'm very disillusioned with cities.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

kayakyakr posted:

Colorado does strike an incredible balance for a lot of factors. We very, very nearly moved there in the before times of the pandemic. Boulder specifically, because cities with urban areas larger than like 500-800k are overrated and not actually worth the added pain of living in, and cities in the 150k range provide the best balance of stuff & life.

Then again, we wound up moving to the forest in a town of 2600 people, so I'm very disillusioned with cities.

A small town can be more urban than the typical US city if it's walkable

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

cum jabbar posted:

A small town can be more urban than the typical US city if it's walkable

not this one 🤣

But also, we didn't get very close to town-center, so that doesn't help. I can ride my (free) bike to one of our 3 restaurants any time it's not freezing out, so that's a positive.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

It was interesting moving to SF from Texas, I actually gained an extra 30 days a year of sun going to California based on published averages

The only downside of SF weather is that it's 62F pretty much year round except for five or six days randomly sprinkled around the calendar, and that one glorious week in October when "Indian summer" becomes a top trending social media phrase

Vallejo and Richmond ("suburbs" :airquote: of SF and Oakland) have basically perfect weather, but unfortunately have really high crime rates

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
thats a material difference betw sun levels in all of california and sun levels in sf, one of the foggiest large cities in the us

as opposed to south and east bay, which are far enough that in a sane country would be considered like entirely different cities and are, for san jose anyways

asur
Dec 28, 2012

bob dobbs is dead posted:

thats a material difference betw sun levels in all of california and sun levels in sf, one of the foggiest large cities in the us

as opposed to south and east bay, which are far enough that in a sane country would be considered like entirely different cities and are, for san jose anyways

It's only foggy if you live west of Divis. The further east you get the less fog and if you're on the east side (soma, Rincon, mission bay, dogpatch, etc) there's pretty much zero fog during the day.

I'm a huge fan of SF weather in general, low to mid 60s throughout the year is great though if you want it significantly warmer you can always go south to LA. Slightly warmer could go to Oakland though iirc the closest part is about the same temp as east SF.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

asur posted:

It's only foggy if you live west of Divis. The further east you get the less fog and if you're on the east side (soma, Rincon, mission bay, dogpatch, etc) there's pretty much zero fog during the day.

I'm a huge fan of SF weather in general, 60-70f throughout the year is great though if you want it significantly warmer you can always go south to LA. Slightly warmer could go to Oakland though iirc the closest part is about the same temp as east SF.

this wasn't true before the 0.5c climate change increase in the last decade or two, altho west of divis was always the foggiest.. of course in a few decades fog will be a distant memory in sf

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

asur posted:

I'm a huge fan of SF weather in general, low to mid 60s throughout the year is great though if you want it significantly warmer you can always go south to LA. Slightly warmer could go to Oakland though iirc the closest part is about the same temp as east SF.
Peninsula is nice too (although very suburban). Redwood City, a town roughly halfway between San Francisco and San Jose, has built its entire civic identity around how good their weather is:

"Climate best by government test"

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

bob dobbs is dead posted:

this wasn't true before the 0.5c climate change increase in the last decade or two, altho west of divis was always the foggiest.. of course in a few decades fog will be a distant memory in sf

I can only recall two or three days where we had any fog at all, and even then it burnt off by 11am, this year

Over the the sunset it's still foggy regularly but that's just a function of living on effectively really tall ocean beach

On the news Saturday it was a big deal that we got any fog, and then did a follow up piece lamenting it wasn't as foggy as predicted and burnt off by 9 am

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

kayakyakr posted:

Denver's real estate market is super hosed though. Boulder is alright but it's a college town, with all the pluses and minuses that come along with it.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Lockback posted:

Denver's real estate market is super hosed though. Boulder is alright but it's a college town, with all the pluses and minuses that come along with it.

You say "super hosed", I say "wow, a 2-bedroom house near the downtown core for under a million dollars, what a deal".

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Every desirable real estate market is "super hosed", welcome to the new normal

Fortunately computer touchers can afford it

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Guinness posted:

Fortunately computer touchers can afford it

Careful if you say their name three times the housing inquisition will come back

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Since I’m just in the “feeling things out” phase, I figure this is better than the interview thread…I’m wondering about the transition from an Engineering Program Manager in Defense, to a SW Product Manager.

Without going into the specifics and making this a long rear end post - how often do you see people who work on mixed HW/embedded SW products get pulled in? Like, I look at and have used JIRA, but I’m not the Scrum master or anything. And I can lead a team to execute and deliver on complicated, inter-related products, but I don’t have a lot of technical depth in pure SW development and what that ecosystem is like.

When I watch videos on being a PM for a SW product I feel like I fundamentally don’t speak the same language, and that just sets up a big barrier to entry that makes achieving a clean crossover 10+ years into my career a bit of a challenge.

Maybe I’m being too pessimistic about it, but I’m just not sure how to problem solve this. May be an alternate question is - “what are the qualities and skills you’d look for in a perfect Product manager?”

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Crazyweasel posted:

Since I’m just in the “feeling things out” phase, I figure this is better than the interview thread…I’m wondering about the transition from an Engineering Program Manager in Defense, to a SW Product Manager.

Without going into the specifics and making this a long rear end post - how often do you see people who work on mixed HW/embedded SW products get pulled in? Like, I look at and have used JIRA, but I’m not the Scrum master or anything. And I can lead a team to execute and deliver on complicated, inter-related products, but I don’t have a lot of technical depth in pure SW development and what that ecosystem is like.

When I watch videos on being a PM for a SW product I feel like I fundamentally don’t speak the same language, and that just sets up a big barrier to entry that makes achieving a clean crossover 10+ years into my career a bit of a challenge.

Maybe I’m being too pessimistic about it, but I’m just not sure how to problem solve this. May be an alternate question is - “what are the qualities and skills you’d look for in a perfect Product manager?”

Product manager == direction, go to market plan, viability, money numbers, etc
Project manager == schedules, Jira, and communication between stakeholders

Both get called PM in similar contexts. Your post to me feels like these are getting conflated? Lots of project managers eventually become product managers. Hard to give concrete advice without knowing what you're looking for.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

leper khan posted:

Product manager == direction, go to market plan, viability, money numbers, etc
Project manager == schedules, Jira, and communication between stakeholders

Both get called PM in similar contexts. Your post to me feels like these are getting conflated? Lots of project managers eventually become product managers. Hard to give concrete advice without knowing what you're looking for.

Ah yea, some context got deleted when I edited down before posting. My goal would be Product Manager, I eventually want to lead where the Product goes.

My current position is a probably 30/70 of Prod/Project, because we don’t quite delineate the same way. So I do the market research/business case, but end of the day I do focus more on execution.

I have seen the Technical Program Manager positions and have wondered if that is the most obvious way in…

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

If you want to get into product stuff, get a PMP certification book and leaf through it, or maybe consider getting an audio book version of a PMP cert book and leave it on in the background. PMP dictates the way that profession talks and communicates so might as well go to the source

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Hadlock posted:

If you want to get into product stuff, get a PMP certification book and leaf through it, or maybe consider getting an audio book version of a PMP cert book and leave it on in the background. PMP dictates the way that profession talks and communicates so might as well go to the source
Agreed, but be warned: PMPin' ain't easy.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

I have a PMP!!! So maybe I am closer than I thought…

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

FMguru posted:

Agreed, but be warned: PMPin' ain't easy.

:tipshat::hf::clint:

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug
Come to New Jersey! We have awful commutes, hot and humid summers, blizzards in the winter that bury us under feet of snow, and the highest property taxes in the country!

Also, we all drive like psychopaths and our default attitude is "shithead".

...why do I still live here?

New Yorp New Yorp fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Nov 16, 2021

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Western Jersey is underrated. I wouldn’t live there, but I used to enjoy driving through it.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Crazyweasel posted:

Without going into the specifics and making this a long rear end post - how often do you see people who work on mixed HW/embedded SW products get pulled in? Like, I look at and have used JIRA, but I’m not the Scrum master or anything. And I can lead a team to execute and deliver on complicated, inter-related products, but I don’t have a lot of technical depth in pure SW development and what that ecosystem is like

Product managers come in many shapes and sizes. Some are more technical, some more business, some more about tackling a specific challenge, some about driving consistent value.

A pm shouldn't be a scrum master, but some are. I think your path is probably a common one, but the jump is usually internal. My experience is pms are usually promoted from a business function or have prior product management experience.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.
Anyone have experience being interviewed by a CEO? This is for a company with just over 400 employees and I would be coming in as a senior software engineer, so I’m wondering if this is a red flag for micromanagement or just evidence that they invest a lot in hiring (or maybe a little of both).

Edit to add: first round was for placement, second was a technical round, third with the CTO to discuss career goals, now is this round. It’s overall been a positive interview process and I’ve liked the people I’ve talked to, and this place has great Glassdoor reviews - 4.5+, including positive ones from ex-employees.

Eldred fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Nov 16, 2021

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Eldred posted:

Anyone have experience being interviewed by a CEO? This is for a company with just over 400 employees and I would be coming in as a senior software engineer, so I’m wondering if this is a red flag for micromanagement or just evidence that they invest a lot in hiring (or maybe a little of both).

I wouldn't read too much into it one way or the other. Is this a final interview or an early interview? If it's a final interview, it's probably a bullshit "culture fit" interview where all you have to do is not say anything blatantly racist or noticeably poo poo yourself. If it's an early one, that's a little weird.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

I wouldn't read too much into it one way or the other. Is this a final interview or an early interview? If it's a final interview, it's probably a bullshit "culture fit" interview where all you have to do is not say anything blatantly racist or noticeably poo poo yourself. If it's an early one, that's a little weird.

Great, thanks! I edited the post to add a bit more context too, it’s the final interview.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Hadlock posted:

Isn't PMP a project management credential?

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
My boss is dividing the team (in practice) into two, with one part being given all of the responsibility of doing triage and handling customer tickets in addition to their regular duties. This new "team" consist of all the newest hires.

Up until now we've had a lot of freedom, with areas of responsibility that we're expected to improve upon on our own initiative. Customer tickets were, in theory at least, handled by the team as a whole. It sure feels like they're making an a-team and a b-team, because while doing tickets is probably a good way to ensure new people learn all parts of the architecture, there does not appear to be a way to "graduate" from this initiative.

It sucks that I will no longer have the freedom that was sold to me when they hired me, and that I will have to context switch to do tickets the people from the a-team deride as "boring as poo poo". I feel pretty worried that if they need to let people go they'll just cut the b-team, although I guess they probably would have given the least senior people the boot anyway.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Edit: never mind

Eldred fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Nov 17, 2021

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

thotsky posted:

My boss is dividing the team (in practice) into two, with one part being given all of the responsibility of doing triage and handling customer tickets in addition to their regular duties. This new "team" consist of all the newest hires.

Up until now we've had a lot of freedom, with areas of responsibility that we're expected to improve upon on our own initiative. Customer tickets were, in theory at least, handled by the team as a whole. It sure feels like they're making an a-team and a b-team, because while doing tickets is probably a good way to ensure new people learn all parts of the architecture, there does not appear to be a way to "graduate" from this initiative.

It sucks that I will no longer have the freedom that was sold to me when they hired me, and that I will have to context switch to do tickets the people from the a-team deride as "boring as poo poo". I feel pretty worried that if they need to let people go they'll just cut the b-team, although I guess they probably would have given the least senior people the boot anyway.

How good is your boss generally about matching the available work to what you want to work with? Can you say something like "I would like to get better at using X technology and feature Y looks like a good place to apply it" in a 1:1? There's not much you can do if your boss is actively separating you from interesting work, but the first step is bringing up the problem from a constructive angle.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Eldred posted:

Edit to add: first round was for placement, second was a technical round, third with the CTO to discuss career goals, now is this round. It’s overall been a positive interview process and I’ve liked the people I’ve talked to, and this place has great Glassdoor reviews - 4.5+, including positive ones from ex-employees.

It's a little weird but not unheard of. If the company is growing quickly, they probably haven't adjusted their hiring protocols since they were in the 100-200 range.

I wouldn't put much weight into glassdoor.

Gibbon
Feb 22, 2004
chang chang!
Sounds like that CEO hasn't learnt to let go, maybe they started the company

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Ensign Expendable posted:

How good is your boss generally about matching the available work to what you want to work with? Can you say something like "I would like to get better at using X technology and feature Y looks like a good place to apply it" in a 1:1? There's not much you can do if your boss is actively separating you from interesting work, but the first step is bringing up the problem from a constructive angle.

The boss has been completely hands off until now. Presumably he will be after this as well. He's not involved with the tickets or this initiative as such.

I have a focus area / part of the architecture I am expected to own, and I do have long term and short term goals/plans for it. This is simply an added duty I will have to do at the same time.

The initiative ensures tickets have a specific place to land inside the team instead of being tossed around between people who have other stuff they would rather do. I guess the last part is still true, but only for half the team going forward.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Will there be a manager or leader for this b team?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016

thotsky posted:

The boss has been completely hands off until now. Presumably he will be after this as well. He's not involved with the tickets or this initiative as such.

I have a focus area / part of the architecture I am expected to own, and I do have long term and short term goals/plans for it. This is simply an added duty I will have to do at the same time.

The initiative ensures tickets have a specific place to land inside the team instead of being tossed around between people who have other stuff they would rather do. I guess the last part is still true, but only for half the team going forward.

Where I've worked, if there were a lot of tickets for a project and many who could handle them, then there has one person responsible for tickets each week and we rotated responsibility through the team.

Idk why your team isn't doing that but maybe you can convince them that it would be better for making sure everyone has an understanding of the users as you wouldn't want the A team to miss out on all that helpful context.

Given you're already on B team, I don't see how to do this without making it look like you just don't want to do the work though.