Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Dangit. Was rather hoping I could make it to building computers and HMFs so I can unlock fuel generators before I ran out of power capacity, but I am only just unlocking Manufacturers with <100MW to spare so I don't think I'm gonna make it :(

guess i gotta go do another coal jenny :mad:

(e) ooorrrr i could build like fifty more energy storages, continue building up to making computers & HMFs and race my soon-to-be-dwindling energy reserves :getin:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Nov 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Who else here has noticed that a tool gave you incorrect numbers when planning a factory and only realized it when you were 80% done. *raises hand* anyone?

I got burned by the different overclocking rules for power plants and the calculator I use not using those different rules. I have an extremely cool design with nuclear power plants oriented in a pentagon but only just now realized that I was short an entire power plant for the amount of uranium rods I'm building. :negative:

At least nothing is radioactive yet.

Hell, maybe there's enough room to plop down the 6th plant right in the middle then I won't have to do anything too crazy

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Klyith posted:

There's a more complex solution that I know works, which is to use head lift against the fresh water producing extractors. You position your refineries above the extractors so that they have more head lift, and then place a slightly-elevated buffer such that the extractors can't fill it all the way. What happens is that when the buffer is partly full the extractors are forced to turn off, due to exceeding their head lift. But the refineries can still add water to the buffer so they keep working. It's really neat.
That seems to work fine. Took a bit of fiddling to place the buffer and pump at proper heights.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Ciaphas posted:

Dangit. Was rather hoping I could make it to building computers and HMFs so I can unlock fuel generators before I ran out of power capacity, but I am only just unlocking Manufacturers with <100MW to spare so I don't think I'm gonna make it :(

(e) ooorrrr i could build like fifty more energy storages, continue building up to making computers & HMFs and race my soon-to-be-dwindling energy reserves :getin:

I'm at ~60GW grid capacity, still haven't automated computers, and my HMF production is a basic setup only producing ~2/min. HMFs are probably best to set up first since they have such low yield and you'll want tons of them for building fuel plants. By the time you can actually start building all the fuel generators you end up draining your entire supply that's been slowly building up over time and will probably have to wait for more to stock up.

If you automate circuit boards first you can get away with not automating computers for a long time. With the right alts you can make 150 circuit boards/min out of nothing but a single pure oil node and some water, I usually end up doing that first because then you can use them to automate both computers and high speed connectors at the same time with much less hassle. HMFs always feel like they need dedicated production to have as many as you want, for computers having a single manufacturer with the caterium computer alt recipe fed by containers has been sufficient.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Ciaphas posted:

Oof yeah 1200MW is borderline when you start doing manufacturers.

Though since your consumption line is pretty constant, I assume you have all your existing production being dumped into the sink for tickets? In that case you could just pull the plug on the sink. Everything will back up until production shuts down, power use will drop way down, and you can run the lines for just HMFs and computers from that power no problem. Then you can get your fuel power on.

In the past this would have been very sketch since a "mostly shut-down" factory is always ready to spike into temporary full power because you pulled 3 things from storage. But with power storage those short spikes aren't a problem.

(Also, large numbers of power storages evidently can have a weird performance impact. Not from 50, it was more like people on reddit who built 500 or 1000 of the things. But I thought I'd mention it as a warning because they're easy to build lots and some people see that as an invitation.)

Combat Pretzel posted:

That seems to work fine. Took a bit of fiddling to place the buffer and pump at proper heights.

Sweet! I wasn't sure my description was good enough to build from.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Are those huge spiders new? First time I've seen them today. Before only those that reach to your hip, today one that was larger than the player character.

Klyith posted:

Sweet! I wasn't sure my description was good enough to build from.
At the site, I just stacked two 4m tall blocks and put a buffer on there (8m height diff.). Then I had to do some test runs on where to place the pumps on the sloped supply pipe. At some point it found an equilibrium, at around 50% buffer fill at that. :haw:

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Combat Pretzel posted:

Are those huge spiders new? First time I've seen them today.

No they've been around for a while. The spider skittering noise is honestly a super creepy sound that always puts me on edge.

Edit: Wait till you find the version of the spider that will jump attack and fart clouds of poison at you

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I’m not an arachnophobe but those spiders give me the fuckin heebie jeebies. Their shiny/slimy looking skin and that noise they make augghhh wish you could craft a flamethrower.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
gently caress those spiders. And yet the arachnophobia mode isn't exactly better.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Klyith posted:

Oof yeah 1200MW is borderline when you start doing manufacturers.

Though since your consumption line is pretty constant, I assume you have all your existing production being dumped into the sink for tickets? In that case you could just pull the plug on the sink. Everything will back up until production shuts down, power use will drop way down, and you can run the lines for just HMFs and computers from that power no problem. Then you can get your fuel power on.

In the past this would have been very sketch since a "mostly shut-down" factory is always ready to spike into temporary full power because you pulled 3 things from storage. But with power storage those short spikes aren't a problem.

(Also, large numbers of power storages evidently can have a weird performance impact. Not from 50, it was more like people on reddit who built 500 or 1000 of the things. But I thought I'd mention it as a warning because they're easy to build lots and some people see that as an invitation.)

I think there's one or two minor factories that aren't being sunk properly because I just couldn't be assed, and a few buildings are start-stop 'cos of bad ratios; but you are correct, I made it a goal to Sink Everything this time around, because Power Problems Suck, and peaks & troughs on that graph from me grabbing supplies always means Problems, eventually, as you allude to. Helps that I'm drowning in tickets as a result, too :v:

Thanks for the idea on cutting the sinks off in the name of HMFs and computers - if I turn off the two sinks at the end of Central Storage that'll turn off 95% of the factory at a swoop and give me room to work.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Leal posted:

gently caress those spiders. And yet the arachnophobia mode isn't exactly better.

The spiders are just look goofy and walk funny while the arachnophobe mode is nightmare fuel.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

Rynoto posted:

The spiders are just look goofy and walk funny while the arachnophobia mode is nightmare fuel.

I turned arachnophobia mode on once to see what it would do. Hearing the skittering noises while a spider with THAT image plastered over it was so much creepier. Then ignored the game for a while until a new update came out, and that one happened to be the one where they made NEW SOUNDS IN ARACHNOPHOBIA MODE AND IF THATS NOT A WHOLE-rear end SPOOK.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

gently caress those spiders. I remember watching a youtube about the design of satisfactory and how it’s really good, yet he takes a full on minute to say ‘hey dev that brought the spiders into the game. gently caress you in particular. ‘ and now every time I end up getting surrounded I think about that quote and :hmmyes:

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
I dunno I find the spiders easier to sidestep than the spitters and not that hard to deal with. I guess fighting palm sized huntsmans most of my youth has made me less scared of fake not-spiders.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
If I'm honest, the spiders in this game are why I automated the production of explosive charges and rifle ammo.

vvv A single rifle shot will pop one of those damned flying crab things, but they fly so awkwardly they can be hard to hit. Dammit game, let me craft a shotgun.

boxen fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Nov 17, 2021

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013
I don't think the spiders are difficult, but they have lead to some annoying scares. On my first playthrough I found my way to the underground uranium node before I got to oil, that was special.

Late game everything that isn't a spitter becomes trivial now as I fly over them and chuck bombs from above. Spitter's fireballs can detonate the nobelisks though, I learned that the hard way, so I tend to use the rifle on them and sometimes the flying crabs.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

boxen posted:

If I'm honest, the spiders in this game are why I automated the production of explosive charges and rifle ammo.

Same. Funny thing is, I've noticed ever since I built a bullet factory and started carrying the rifle around full time I am about 100x more scared and cautious with pretty much every enemy. Especially spiders. Back before that, when I heard the skittering sound I'd stop, get out the bat, and just say "come at me bro!" Maybe try to get a rebar shot off if I had clear lines of sight.

The bat kills them faster than they can kill you, and they drop organs which make 100% healing inhalers. No tactics needed, no building walls and towers, just Conan those fuckers. The math works in your favor.

With the gun for whatever reason I'm a complete coward. Maybe because the spiders can be pretty hard to track, and I seem to forget that I still have the bat in the next slot. Maybe because my expectation with the gun is not taking damage. Maybe just because I don't do much exploration these days, and I'm carrying enough stuff that the corpse run would be a little annoying.

Conclusion, carrying a gun turns you into a giant pussy.

Rynoto posted:

The spiders are just look goofy and walk funny while the arachnophobe mode is nightmare fuel.

It's the Alien principle: the thing you know is out there but can't see is much much worse.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Problem with the spiders for me is that unlike every other animal they actually climb for you. They just come at you from different angles than normal and that’s somehow terrifying when you’ve been in a mentat haze for the last 45m trying to unfuck your aluminum setup. It’s just the psychological damage that irks. I don’t think I’ve ever died to spiders unlike the rear end in a top hat hogs yeeting me into the void while I try and grab a slug.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Do the spiders respawn? It seems like they are back in areas I could swear I cleared out.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

priznat posted:

Do the spiders respawn? It seems like they are back in areas I could swear I cleared out.

Yes. Don’t quite know the length of time it takes but they do. Also I’ve never seen anything respawn in an area I’ve “touched”. Maybe dropping a building or some foundations might prevent it as well although again not at all sure what the threshold is there.

Edit: the wiki has the info

“the wiki” posted:

Creature respawn mechanism

There are spawn points for hostile creatures such as Hogs and Spitters scattered around the map, particularly near by Resource Nodes or collectibles.
If creatures were killed, they will attempt to respawn within three game days, and only if the pioneer is not within 300 meters of the spawn point.
At the start of the game, (or upon game updates/balancing) the hostile creatures will be present around their spawn point by default.
To prevent hostile creature respawn, the following must be fulfilled:

There is at least one player-built building within a 300 meter radius around the hostile spawn point.
The existing creatures around their spawn point, if present, must be killed first.
The creatures with their spawn point only active at night, must wait to be spawned at least once then be killed, even if all the above criteria are fulfilled before the first night.

Ice Fist fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Nov 17, 2021

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Wiki says player constructions within 300m of the spawn point will prevent them from coming back.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Ice Fist posted:

Yes. Don’t quite know the length of time it takes but they do. Also I’ve never seen anything respawn in an area I’ve “touched”. Maybe dropping a building or some foundations might prevent it as well although again not at all sure what the threshold is there.

Are they the only animals who do? Seems like the hogs and spitters don’t.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

priznat posted:

IIRC everything more than 300m from a 'built thing' can respawn

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Ah ok I was mistaken it seemed like the hogs just left their scales or whatever but must have had something built up in the vicinity.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

“the wiki” posted: posted:

(Respawn logic line 3) The creatures with their spawn point only active at night, must wait to be spawned at least once then be killed, even if all the above criteria are fulfilled before the first night.

I've been puzzling over this sentence for a bit. Does it mean that some creatures will only come out at night, and then have to be killed and a building placed to prevent future respawns?

Maybe?

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Here's a stupid way to reliably break the game in the current experimental build:

Wanted to make a more reliable way of getting from place to place in my "factory cart only" world since driving them over rough terrain is a nightmare. Started in the Northwest Desert and was getting to the point where subcomponents will need to be delivered long distances. The obvious solution is a giant concrete square floating high in the sky encompassing the entire world. With the introduction of zooping this isn't too much of a time sink as long you have some decent concrete production.

For any pickup and delivery the carts need to be elevated from the ground up to the ring. Reliable jump pad trajectories were introduced in a past update, so by alternating pads around a vertical spine you can drive a cart onto the ground floor pad and have it delivered to the top without having to build giant ramps down to the ground.

This was the first spine constructed along with its attached item mall.

And here's the second spine constructed as a stress test near the ~64 high speed connector/min factory at the south edge of the map.

There's an inherent problem to this though.

I'm still in the cart in that second picture. The initial plan was to suicide dive all the carts off the concrete ring down to their destinations where they would bounce harmlessly off the ground and carry on. If you try this, after falling for a relatively short distance the cart will freeze in mid-air and your character will turn invisible. I can get out and stand on top of it, also seeing my xenobasher floating horizontally at my feet so I can assume I'm both T-posing and invisible. I can pick the cart back up from mid-air but the only way to fix the t-posing and invisibility is to reload the save.

So that's out, but there's a simple enough solution again. I already have a vertical spine constructed at the noteworthy locations with alternating platforms every 6 foundation lengths. By constructing falling chambers on the opposite side I can safely get the carts back down to ground level without falling long enough to trigger the terminal velocity bug.

I now have a functional delivery circuit which can easily be expanded with additional spines at current and future locations to deliver anything to and from any location. It takes a little while for the carts to bounce up to the ring and to make the controlled fall back down but it's a lot faster than trying to drive any sort of length across terrain in the cart. It's been tested by having a cart successfully start at the item mall and make the full circuit to deliver the connectors to their respective bin.

Trouble now is that if I actually try to load the list of my cart paths it will crash to desktop every time. Guessing something about the game code isn't set up for vehicle pathing at high elevation so it implodes the second you try to look at it. I can still successfully record a circuit, save it, and have the cart autopilot along it, but loading the path list is out at least for now. I hope I'm confusing at least one person at Coffee Stain with the handful of crash reports I sent. For the long term plan to work I have to be able to set multiple carts on the same path to increase throughput to the necessary levels, unless the devs fix this niche bug it's going to be a hassle to scale up. Since I can't look at the list I'll have to spend time recording multiple trips around the same delivery route, then saving the routes to an inaccessible list and setting the cart on an autopilot I can never touch again. That introduces another problem of adding a bunch of redundant routes for the game to keep track of for potentially hundreds of carts traveling all over the world, instead of grouping those carts into a handful of routes. I don't think that will cause it to crash but it can't be good for performance. I also can't delete any of the obsolete older paths I've been using until now, though that's only 15 or so and not a big deal in the long run.

For now it works one cart at a time so I'm at least going to expand it enough to get my item mall stocked up. A lot of these problems could presumably be avoided by just building the concrete ring lower to the ground instead of so high that the elevation fog kicks in and you can't see the ground. Cautionary tale.

NoEyedSquareGuy fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Nov 18, 2021

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
Spiders don't really "bother" me in a combat sense, I pull out the bat and swat 'em before they can get a chomp in. The biggo ones are a little more testy, but you can kill basically anything with a little dash and slap. Even spitters got easy once I realized that I had to zig-zag in, slap 'em twice, step back from their burp, and then scoot in for two more slaps.

But the sounds the spiders make as they approach give me the willies.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Teledahn posted:

I've been puzzling over this sentence for a bit. Does it mean that some creatures will only come out at night, and then have to be killed and a building placed to prevent future respawns?

Maybe?

Yes. And if you go to the place where they spawn during the daytime and build some stuff, it won't block them from spawning until after the first time they've been killed.

I hadn't looked at that info in a while, but a while back the wiki / "common knowledge" was that you needed a powered building to prevent respawns. I wonder if that was just wrong, or if the devs changed it?

Also 300m is hella far, no wonder I never see respawned monsters anywhere I've ever been before. Leaving just the occasional lookout tower, bridge, or ladder behind you when exploring will turn the game to peaceful mode pretty quick.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Yeah I'm pretty sure that info on respawning is out of date. I remember reading a patch note about adjusting it so you need at least one powered manufacturing building and at least 8 total player constructions (or some other number) to prevent a respawn. So just running a power line past won't cut it, you need to e.g. place a miner on a node and build a couple support buildings or foundations to "claim" an area.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I still think I kind of prefer the arachnophobia mode. Running past a cave entrance and hearing a distant high-pitched mewing and being afraid of it is hilarious.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Got past that hump and got some fuel generators stood up. Power's still borderline, but stable, so I'm in the clear :toot:

this is about the part where I usually peter out, though, because I'm really not sure what to do next, despite the clear corner indicators of what the insatiable HUB must be fed

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

A Moose posted:

I still think I kind of prefer the arachnophobia mode. Running past a cave entrance and hearing a distant high-pitched mewing and being afraid of it is hilarious.

It's funny/great that I still find them pretty creepy in arachnophobia mode. Its sort of an amusing compromise?

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Here's a stupid way to reliably break the game in the current experimental build:

I love that your answer to "Factory carts are hard to drive off road" was build a skyway in the clouds and make the access and exits out of jump-pads and controlled falls.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

If the terrain will not suit the factory, the factory must come to the terrain. As the precepts demand!

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Teledahn posted:

I love that your answer to "Factory carts are hard to drive off road" was build a skyway in the clouds and make the access and exits out of jump-pads and controlled falls.

The devs released a patch today which completely fixes the problem of loading vehicle lists so now it can scale up easily. Nice of them to do that the day after I finally got it all set up.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Has anyone tried renting a dedicated server? Any recommended hosts? Preferably one with NY data center. Was thinking of trying GTXgaming to set a up a server for friends and me next week on official release.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I’m getting ready to jump into U5, having mostly skipped U4. Are there any lingering building/terrain bugs still on experimental? Trying not to end up having my factories being built around a bug that’s likely to be fixed before it goes on stable.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Vasudus posted:

I’m getting ready to jump into U5, having mostly skipped U4. Are there any lingering building/terrain bugs still on experimental? Trying not to end up having my factories being built around a bug that’s likely to be fixed before it goes on stable.

I started a U5 last week and the only issue with building I've run into is the extremely weird, microscopically tiny offsetting that sometimes happens building on FICSIT foundations*. Luckily concrete foundations look better, are cheaper, and don't have the bug :v:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

There are a few collision box issues in the northern forest but nothing serious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Is everyone porting their u5 game over from experimental to EA or will we just be able to open our Dave on EA and have it just... Work?