Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Corky Romanovsky posted:

Reuters seems to think 6 new reactors. Macron previously said he'd reduce nuclear power from 75% to 50% (idk the units). They got something like 56 reactors. Some of them might be scheduled for decommission, as most were finished between 1980 and 1990 with 40-year lives, and possible extensions to 50 years (and concerns about substandard steel, lol).

macron is a dumb piece of poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
and also a big pussy

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Al-Saqr posted:

any society that depends on high school grades as a literal life changing event like in China really ought to not ban essential services like tutoring, it’s insane theyd even consider banning it.

china is promoting extracurricular activities (dance swimming gymnastics etc), exercise and vocational schooling instead of cramming to be a concaved skinny four eyed nerd

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

DiscountDildos posted:

I've got some sympathy for young Chinese people who may have busted their asses to get good enough at English to make a career out of teaching it in China, only to see the rug potentially pulled out from under them.

But a lot of these tutoring services, at least the ones that tutor English, openly prefer foreigners. Americans, Brits and Australians in particular. An old high school friend of mine went over there with less than zero teaching experience and, last I heard, is getting paid like $40K usd/year plus a paid-for apartment in Shanghai(!) to spend around 20 hours a week singing Old Mcdonald with a bunch of Chinese 4-year Olds.

I can empathize with the policy based on the resentment for the sexpats alone.

https://twitter.com/JMartinTEFL/status/1459497744247267328?s=20

The "list of countries" thing is a product of the work permit requirements. Most Asian countries have something similar, but legally you have to be from one of those countries to get your work permit if you're going to be an English teacher in China, even at training centers. There are ways around it, but they're mostly illegal, technically (doesn't stop people from doing it.) A lot of teachers from other countries are, on their work permits, not actually teachers.

China does have some requirements that are supposed to keep people like your old high school friend out, a person needs documented proof of two years experience working as a teacher, or (and this is the weakness in the whole thing) "certification." Which is a $30 groupon TEFL course and a weekend of your time.

The money for Chinese people in private education is in grad school entrance exam prep, I don't think that's been affected by anything yet, and that industry does not really hire or want foreigners.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/NewsBytesApp/status/1460552613372436481

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Evil Xi is up to something in the West! Surely this graph means something

CaptainACAB
Sep 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of Langley

Nonsense posted:

Evil Xi is up to something in the West! Surely this graph means something

This graph helpfully provided by the CIA, that is.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

that's from mckinsey

holy loving poo poo. lmao

the net worth increase not in sync with gdp is an interesting point to consider because it might be that the infrastructure and economic development of China had aggregate effects larger than accounted for (that idea of getting more than $1 in overall economic benefit for $1 spent)

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
China (Beijing) doesn't want the land of Taiwan, they want the military value of Taiwan island.

You know what Taiwanese can do to ensure their self rule and avoid an invasion? disband their own navy completely and let mainland build strategic submarine base on island. Taiwanese can keep their army or double the size if they want. Beijing doesn't care about what's going on in the island. They already have huge trade volume with Taiwan and they don't necessarily need to have Communist cadres to run the daily operation.

When people argue about the concept of national sovereignty, they confuse national identity with regional military security. There are 200+ modern nation states in the world but a lot of them don't control their own regional security. For example, Canada's regional security is heavily rely on the US. Even Cuba, has a US military base on it, which the US essentially force it on Cuba if you check the history. Same thing for a lot of small states with foreign military bases. Most of these are US military bases, they act as a security guarantee of the region. So again, I can easily list a bunch of countries, that are real countries and have a seat in the UN. But they don't remotely control their own regional security.

What the people arguing for Taiwanese Independence, conveniently pretend the Taiwanese also entitle to have a say in which side they can side for their security. No they don't. They never do. This is decided by the size of the island and its strategic position to the mainland. There is no way an unified and strong China, be it ruled by a communist party or a run-of-the-mill nationalist party, allow Taiwan to be part of US defense system. China can have election tomorrow and vote in a different government next month, she will still want to control Taiwan's strategic value. They probably will push for quicker military reunification since an elected government can not afford to do long term planning like the CPC can.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

dead gay comedy forums posted:

that's from mckinsey

holy loving poo poo. lmao

the net worth increase not in sync with gdp is an interesting point to consider because it might be that the infrastructure and economic development of China had aggregate effects larger than accounted for (that idea of getting more than $1 in overall economic benefit for $1 spent)

GeeDeePees is a bullshit number?

Shocked Pikachu Face

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
In unrelated news, a bunch of foreign companies have recently been targeting single mothers and widows for firings, with an unusual regularity. Most recently the Italian Vali in Loznica. Previously it was mostly banks that disproportionally targeted them (for evictions, in their case).

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Cao Ni Ma posted:

China's plan is def slow integration but they are kinda at a standstill because of the current government and their own one china policy. If they had a more malleable government in charge of taiwan right now and they can sell their case for slow integration they could probably put it for a vote. I dont think a blockade would help in this case in fact it will probably hurt them a whole lot more.

But I'm not really familiar with Taiwanese people's political desires outside of their lust for the status quo and probably an ingrained belief that they will always be better than the peasants in the mainland thanks to colonialism/capitalism despite the rapid growths of a lot of states rendering this completely wrong. Sort of like hong kongers.

#notallhongkongers

this kind of mentality was fairly strong ~10 years ago, but i'm not sure how prevalent it still is. the people you hear about are the ones most likely to speak up (beneficiaries of HK as a capitalist gateway into china being platformed by the equivalent of HK's rupert murdochs).

the language difference is a barrier that HK faces, but the fact there's been continual familial contact with guangzhou (also cantonese as a first language) is interesting. people from HK can just pop over and see how things are changing for the better. as usual, getting out and connecting with your community is good for a clearer picture.

i see the cultural clash turning into just another regional rivalry about cuisine, fashion etc. the material clash of political systems is what's most interesting about HK.

DiscountDildos
Nov 8, 2017

my dad posted:

In unrelated news, a bunch of foreign companies have recently been targeting single mothers and widows for firings, with an unusual regularity. Most recently the Italian Vali in Loznica. Previously it was mostly banks that disproportionally targeted them (for evictions, in their case).

That sucks. What's the point of that?

https://www.danas.rs/vesti/ekonomija/sindikat-sloga-kako-se-prave-spiskovi-suvisnih-radnika-u-fabrikama-vali-i-u-valjevu-i-loznici/

"What worries us as a union is the criteria on which workers are fired because two single mothers, widows, one of whom supports three children, are left without work and existence, which we consider a violation of basic human dignity and the right to life," it is stated. in a statement from that union.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
For evictions, they're softer targets that are usually less financially capable of having adequate legal defense and other relevant burdens, it's as cruelly simple as that.

As for the firings, I have no loving idea.

e: meaningless comment removed, I don't want to guess

my dad has issued a correction as of 04:51 on Nov 17, 2021

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Peter Daou Zen posted:

didn't we have...somebody in the China threads that was a huge sexpat weirdo who GBS was in love with then kept revealing how actually hosed up he truly was??

you'll have to be more specific

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

stephenthinkpad posted:

China (Beijing) doesn't want the land of Taiwan, they want the military value of Taiwan island.

You know what Taiwanese can do to ensure their self rule and avoid an invasion? disband their own navy completely and let mainland build strategic submarine base on island. Taiwanese can keep their army or double the size if they want. Beijing doesn't care about what's going on in the island. They already have huge trade volume with Taiwan and they don't necessarily need to have Communist cadres to run the daily operation.

When people argue about the concept of national sovereignty, they confuse national identity with regional military security. There are 200+ modern nation states in the world but a lot of them don't control their own regional security. For example, Canada's regional security is heavily rely on the US. Even Cuba, has a US military base on it, which the US essentially force it on Cuba if you check the history. Same thing for a lot of small states with foreign military bases. Most of these are US military bases, they act as a security guarantee of the region. So again, I can easily list a bunch of countries, that are real countries and have a seat in the UN. But they don't remotely control their own regional security.

What the people arguing for Taiwanese Independence, conveniently pretend the Taiwanese also entitle to have a say in which side they can side for their security. No they don't. They never do. This is decided by the size of the island and its strategic position to the mainland. There is no way an unified and strong China, be it ruled by a communist party or a run-of-the-mill nationalist party, allow Taiwan to be part of US defense system. China can have election tomorrow and vote in a different government next month, she will still want to control Taiwan's strategic value. They probably will push for quicker military reunification since an elected government can not afford to do long term planning like the CPC can.

yeah the main issue is Taiwan turning into a US military base full of thousands of military planes, covered shelters for submarines, missile "defenses" across the island, etc. and why wouldn't they fear that? like the US doesn't have that as a design.

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

imagine if China or Russia were to start building bases on Cuba, huge amounts of missile batteries and ports - they'd no longer need to invest in carriers because the Air Force could base on the island. Do you think for a second that the US would accept this encroachment?

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

THS2 posted:

imagine if China or Russia were to start building bases on Cuba, huge amounts of missile batteries and ports - they'd no longer need to invest in carriers because the Air Force could base on the island. Do you think for a second that the US would accept this encroachment?

we, ah, don't have to imagine that particular scenario

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

R. Guyovich posted:

we, ah, don't have to imagine that particular scenario

it's all technically Taiwan assets so I don't know how you can confuse that with US control, or with the militarization of the Korean peninsula, or the continued military occupation of Japan.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

lollontee posted:

that... is why they want to close the private companies is what im saying. they want the competent teachers for the chinese public school system

People keep talking about the government recruiting former training centre teachers as public school teachers, but lol.
They could have, but they didn't.
They could have had a whole response for this set up ahead of time, and they didn't.
The timing of all this was chosen by the government, there was no immediate rush, they could have developed a transition plan for workers and companies and all that stuff, but they didn't.

And let's be clear, the private education industry in China was a sewer that needed cleaning. But instead the government blew it up, and now everything is covered in poo poo.

Regarding public teaching jobs in China: there are none available anywhere anyone would want to work. They are already taken by friends and family of school principals, etc. Highly prized, fought over, all that stuff.
There are lots of teaching jobs available... halfway up a mountain in Yunnan. So if you, a city-born, city-educated person want to drop your expensive, exclusive hukou, and haul halfway up a mountain, leaving behind your family support network that is so essential as to be assumed in China, then great, go do that.
Stuff about the Tibetan plateau, sure, lots of jobs there. Except, the wages and prices and... everything in China is strongly balanced around someone having a lot of help from nearby parents. House prices. Childcare services. Lots more. If you don't have that, you're screwed, and the best you can hope for is that things will be better for your grandchildren if you work hard, because you and probably your children are not going to have a good time.

So for normal people in the real world, they can't go get those public school teaching jobs.

Now, an actual legitimate response to the education industry being vile would have been Nationalise loving Everything.

Just take it. Take it all, dump price controls on the classes, cut out the vast markup and have the government run it not-for-profit. Bam, done.
No crying parents, no despairing teachers. Bosses and investors suffer, but gently caress them.

As it is, most of the people suffering from this are working class (the teachers) and lower-middle-class (the parents).
All the rich people have their children in private schools that offer all the tutoring anyone could want, internally.
And the rich people who owned these centres frequently managed to bail with a few months of operating budget because classes are paid in advance, so while they're disrupted, they're hurt less than the people below them.

This could have been avoided, but it wasn't.

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

are you an english teacher

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

THS2 posted:

are you an english teacher

No, I am not.

Edit: Are you the gatekeeper?

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

What do you do?

Do people largely approve of the general trajectory of China and the government?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
McKinsey is basically the economic hitmen of the CIA so they might be right when saying that China is now the worlds richest country because they don’t want that to happen

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Atopian posted:

People keep talking about the government recruiting former training centre teachers as public school teachers, but lol.
They could have, but they didn't.
They could have had a whole response for this set up ahead of time, and they didn't.
The timing of all this was chosen by the government, there was no immediate rush, they could have developed a transition plan for workers and companies and all that stuff, but they didn't.

And let's be clear, the private education industry in China was a sewer that needed cleaning. But instead the government blew it up, and now everything is covered in poo poo.

Regarding public teaching jobs in China: there are none available anywhere anyone would want to work. They are already taken by friends and family of school principals, etc. Highly prized, fought over, all that stuff.
There are lots of teaching jobs available... halfway up a mountain in Yunnan. So if you, a city-born, city-educated person want to drop your expensive, exclusive hukou, and haul halfway up a mountain, leaving behind your family support network that is so essential as to be assumed in China, then great, go do that.
Stuff about the Tibetan plateau, sure, lots of jobs there. Except, the wages and prices and... everything in China is strongly balanced around someone having a lot of help from nearby parents. House prices. Childcare services. Lots more. If you don't have that, you're screwed, and the best you can hope for is that things will be better for your grandchildren if you work hard, because you and probably your children are not going to have a good time.

sorry didnt read past this bit of the stream of consciousness brain dump

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

THS2 posted:

What do you do?

Do people largely approve of the general trajectory of China and the government?

I teach science, lol, and have been unaffected by the current changes aside from general professional concern, if that's what you're getting at. No-one seems to want to do much about how science is taught, which is fine by me. Well, aside from religious countries, but that's the least of their problems I guess.

General trajectory, general public approve. Not difficult, given the environment.
Education changes: most parents don't think about it enough to care, and probably wouldn't care even if it were more prominent.

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

Atopian posted:

I teach science, lol, and have been unaffected by the current changes aside from general professional concern, if that's what you're getting at. No-one seems to want to do much about how science is taught, which is fine by me. Well, aside from religious countries, but that's the least of their problems I guess.

General trajectory, general public approve. Not difficult, given the environment.
Education changes: most parents don't think about it enough to care, and probably wouldn't care even if it were more prominent.

Sounds like a chill, happy, stable environment for your career. That's awesome.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

crepeface posted:

sorry didnt read past this bit of the stream of consciousness brain dump

Going to go look up those numbers, because they're seriously contrary to the opinions/experience of everyone I've talked to about this. Can see it going either way, I guess.

Edit: Oh I see:
"Some young people could earn higher incomes in second and third-tier cities and then buy cheaper properties in their smaller hometowns"

Yeah, this happens a lot and will certainly mess up the statistics.

"You can't get married until you have a house."
"I have a house... in rural Henan, 60 minutes drive away from the nearest employer!"

Almost anyone working in a city can technically own a house... somewhere.
It may well be unfurnished, lack utilities, and be utterly unlivable by anyone hoping for something other than subsistence farming, but it's definitely a house!

Atopian has issued a correction as of 05:47 on Nov 17, 2021

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

I guess what I love the most about being in the US are the constant panic attacks and "no hope for a future"

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
lmao it owns

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

watching the boomers not die off very slowly, the organizations you work for fail because none of these nonces retire, etc.

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

some motherfucker who is literally 80 years old wasting my god drat time because not only does he have a pretend job, but he actually technically "owns" a lot of land around it so you can't tell him to gently caress off

Lightningproof
Feb 23, 2011

THS2 posted:

I guess what I love the most about being in the US are the constant panic attacks and "no hope for a future"

I was in China for a while in 2013 (teaching English lol) and it was crazy — coming from the UK — to be in a country that felt like it had an actual future ahead of it. definitely the most striking thing was the general sentiment that tomorrow had something in it that would be worth waking up for. everything in the UK is crumbling to poo poo except (parts of) London, which is just a massive sponge for extracting money out of anyone who happens to pass through it

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Lightningproof posted:

I was in China for a while in 2013 (teaching English lol) and it was crazy — coming from the UK — to be in a country that felt like it had an actual future ahead of it. definitely the most striking thing was the general sentiment that tomorrow had something in it that would be worth waking up for.

This is correct.
Lot of problems to fix, but at least there's a chance.
If people recognise and try to avoid them.

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

Atopian posted:

This is correct.
Lot of problems to fix, but at least there's a chance.
If people recognise and try to avoid them.

what the gently caress are you talking about. Problems recognized and trying to avoid them. What the gently caress are you talking about?? what politics? Who is doing this?

It's loving pathetic that you think that either the UK or the US governments will ever reform their governments to the point of not killing themselves.

Yeah, dude, if people recognize the problems, then they will recognize them, and we will fix the problems. i'll also make my rear end in a top hat tighter and i'll never poop

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
methinks you're getting a little too eager to jump down his throat mang

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Atopian posted:

Going to go look up those numbers, because they're seriously contrary to the opinions/experience of everyone I've talked to about this. Can see it going either way, I guess.

Edit: Oh I see:
"Some young people could earn higher incomes in second and third-tier cities and then buy cheaper properties in their smaller hometowns"

Yeah, this happens a lot and will certainly mess up the statistics.

"You can't get married until you have a house."
"I have a house... in rural Henan, 60 minutes drive away from the nearest employer!"

Almost anyone working in a city can technically own a house... somewhere.
It may well be unfurnished, lack utilities, and be utterly unlivable by anyone hoping for something other than subsistence farming, but it's definitely a house!

this thing that could be happening is definitely happening and also its the worst possible scenario where they don't have drinkable water because of lead pipe poisoning.

maybe quote literally the sentence before the one that lets you engage your imagination engine:

quote:

Despite skyrocketing housing prices in major cities such as Beijing and Shanghai, many smaller cities were still affordable for young people, said Vincent Cheung Kiu-cho, deputy managing director at Colliers International, a real estate consultancy.

Some young people could earn higher incomes in second and third-tier cities and then buy cheaper properties in their smaller hometowns, he said.

CaptainACAB
Sep 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of Langley
The West's problem is capitalism and the only way you fix it is a communist revolution and lol. Lmao.l

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

CaptainACAB posted:

The West's problem is capitalism and the only way you fix it is a communist revolution and lol

Good loving luck my friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9KjBq15zEk