Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Sanderson really needs an editor. I didn't feel that the first 3 books were overly long though some light trimming could have been good, but book 4 really made it clear he's become quite self-indulgent. Watching the videos and interviews that they put out around the release was really eye-opening because it showed that he doesn't actually have an editor. He has a lot of people who read his book in development and give feedback but all of them were really emphatic that they never try to remove content.

He needs someone who can look at a whole chunk of of the book and say "this needs to be rewritten" or "this needs to be cut". There are so many points in book 4 that drag needlessly and do many meaningless character regressions.

It's been talked about in this thread to death but of course these books focus on mental illness. And it's really impactful, different characters resonate with different people but it's great to see characters with those internal struggles since it's rare, and done so well. While seeing progress and setbacks is realistic in a sense... It's also realistic for people to make more long-term progress, where their regressions are shorter lived and more well-controlled. And more importantly just from a narrative structure it gets really old to see your favorite characters going through a loop. An editor could fix that, or at least trim it so it's less of a slog.

What made book 4 worse than the rest was just how many chapters were spent on characters where no progress was made at all. How many Shallan chapters were there where she was just being repetitively paranoid (building up to a painfully obvious "twist"), or where Venli wandered around doing nothing? Way too many. The Navani chapters bored a lot of people, but at least there was some movement in them. I actually mostly enjoyed the Kaladin chapters in the book, but they also just went on way too long.

I really hope he gets one for book 5, especially since it's going to be the climax of Era 1. I want it to be long, just not a slog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I liked all of Rhythm of War

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007
What if there was a remixed edition called Rhythm of GWAR?

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Dalmuti posted:

What if there was a remixed edition called Rhythm of GWAR?

It would be the novelization of https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phallus_in_Wonderland

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Just cut out all of venli, half of navani, add more adolin and make dawnshard part of the book.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

I think not even so much more of Adolin's plot, but it might have been interesting to see some more of Shallan's story through his eyes. RoW did not really need the page count it ended up with.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
I'm a big Sanderson fan, but I think his efforts to assembly line and solve the writing process through proceduralizing everything has resulted in higher page counts done quicker, as he hoped, but at the cost of quality.

I understand why he's done it. I understand why ANY genre fiction writer would want to produce as much possible, because it's almost impossible to make an impact without very regular releases, but...it feels like his writing improved all the way up to the release of Stormlight 1 and then just regressed.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
His previous editor Moshe retired in 2020 iirc.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I think words of radiance was better than TwoK.

Not as much of a fan of RoW. I do remember seeing brandon post somewhere that he wasn't sure if RoW was fully balanced in terms of tone / emotional beats, IIRC partially because even with test readers, in the middle of a friggin' pandemic it gets harder to judge how things land. "Is this story too dark and gloomy, or is it just that everything is already miserable?"

I am glad that stormlight 5 is supposed to tie up all the major arcs, though. It seems like RoW also suffered from 'gotta set up the last book' syndrome, like Well of Asecension did.

Selane
May 19, 2006

All right, just finished RoW, so here's my dumb opinions before I forget what happened:

-arrrghhh the pacing. Like 80% of the book is basically Die Hard starring Kaladin Willis. Also we really didn't need a long, boring slog through Shadesmar after the one in the last book.
-The Venli stuff was overall pretty boring. I felt like the flashbacks for Kaladin/Shallan/Dalinar in the first three were interesting enough and had decent payoffs, but does anyone really care about Venli?
-The Navani stuff was ok but I agree with that one guy in that my eyes glazed over when it got to the voidlight/lifelight/warlight/whatever parts. Her spending almost the entire book not interacting with anyone but Raboniel made her chapters pretty boring to read
-Kaladin saying the fourth ideal was predictable but still cool
-I got tired of all the contrived reasons why people can't use their powers, stormlight draining daggers, random fabrials, some bug thing that eats stormlight, the entire tower defense system conveniently getting reversed. I get that he's having trouble writing around the fact that the good guys are so powerful at this point so is trying to hamstring them, but maybe he just shouldn't have made that happen in the first place. I realized that it was getting kind of ridiculous in the third book where Shallan literally gets shot in the loving brain with a crossbow and is mildly inconvenienced at worst
-I knew the pursuer was gonna get the axe at some point, but he gets killed by some guy that to my knowledge has never showed up previously?
-lol at Taravangian accidentally becoming god. I'm not sure how to feel about that, but I admit it was cool when he erased a bit of Wit's memory, about time someone got the better of that smuglord
-I might be forgetting something here, but did they ever mention the origin of Szeth's magic supersword or explain it? He seemed to just kind of suddenly have it out of nowhere and it seems to be the most powerful thing in the universe seeing as how it killed a god in one hit
-I can't believe that rear end in a top hat Shallan actually accused my man Pattern of being a bad guy

Top comedy moments:
"Can't you spare those two guys? Show some mercy".
"Sorry, I couldn't hear you over the sound of the giant boulder I just crushed them with"

Also Wit basically trying to bone Jasnah and getting absolutely nowhere.

I thought the first three books were fine overall, but I really had to put my nose down to power through the last third of this one. At one point I must have been checking the number of remaining pages on my Kindle every 15 minutes or so.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Selane posted:

-I might be forgetting something here, but did they ever mention the origin of Szeth's magic supersword or explain it? He seemed to just kind of suddenly have it out of nowhere and it seems to be the most powerful thing in the universe seeing as how it killed a god in one hit

We do know that. Nalan gave it to him when he revived him at the end of Words of Radiance. Where he got it is not clear, but the Nightwatcher offered the sword to Dalinar when he visited her, As for the sword itself, I gather you haven't read Warbreaker. There's a reason why we strongly recommend reading Warbreaker before WoR, but very absolutely definitely before Oathbreaker. And most fans are in agreement that the sword is indeed the most powerful thing in the universe, apart from the gods/shards themselves.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
You don't actually need to know anything abought Nightblood or read Warbreaker to understand its role in the Stormlight books. But like all Sanderson books you'll keep catching other characters from other book series pop up if you start reading them all.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

M_Gargantua posted:

You don't actually need to know anything abought Nightblood or read Warbreaker to understand its role in the Stormlight books. But like all Sanderson books you'll keep catching other characters from other book series pop up if you start reading them all.

while this is true warbreaker is both good and free so, you know, it's an easy reccomend

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

Selane posted:

All right, just finished RoW, so here's my dumb opinions before I forget what happened:

Also Wit basically trying to bone Jasnah and getting absolutely nowhere.

Hardly the most important point, but I thought it was pretty clearly implied that they are boning, I mean they literally share a tent. Jasnah is just less horny than him unless she's knee deep in ancient tomes.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea I don't know where you're getting the idea that he "got absolutely nowhere"

I can't remember examples but my takeaway from the book is that they were definitely an item fabrial :haw:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I thought they were both asexual

Selane
May 19, 2006

Sarrisan posted:

Hardly the most important point, but I thought it was pretty clearly implied that they are boning, I mean they literally share a tent. Jasnah is just less horny than him unless she's knee deep in ancient tomes.

Oh I know that, I just mean that one particular scene near the end when he's kissing her fingers or whatever and it's like "as far as she could tell he was attempting to arouse some sort of passion within her".

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

M_Gargantua posted:

I thought they were both asexual

She has a POV chapter where she says she's not really into the physical part of a relationship, but she liked Wit and so would sleep with him. I won't dig much deeper as I can't find the chapter and it's not a topic I'm an expert on.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Sarrisan posted:

Yeah they're definitely having sex, Jasnah is just some variety of asexual -- which hopefully everyone here understands is not the same as "doesn't have sex".

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

BananaNutkins posted:

I'm a big Sanderson fan, but I think his efforts to assembly line and solve the writing process through proceduralizing everything has resulted in higher page counts done quicker, as he hoped, but at the cost of quality.

I understand why he's done it. I understand why ANY genre fiction writer would want to produce as much possible, because it's almost impossible to make an impact without very regular releases, but...it feels like his writing improved all the way up to the release of Stormlight 1 and then just regressed.

He's pushing himself to do too much. Just my opinion but look at this:

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Lol at pat even being on that chart

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

External Organs posted:

Lol at pat even being on that chart

I love that chart just for GRRM and Rothfuss.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Now put PirateAba from The Wandering Inn on there

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Spoiler tags apparently don't like to be repeated, so I deleted what I had before

I feel like he's trying to reel back Jasnah. He had a scene in Oathbringer where she joined in on some council meeting, and she casually mentions that they should just kill all the Parshmen. Kaladin then understandably goes "wait, no, that's bad" and she in turn shoots him down with facts & logic, not caring about anyone's emotions. Let's not dwell on the fact that it's also not as coldly strategically brilliant as she thinks it is, as they're all stranded in the middle of a war they're basically losing against the Parshmen, so it's not like they could realistically do what she wants anyway. The book still seems to want to treat it as a "you go girl" moment though and comes off as bizarrely tone deaf. Having her actually see a battle and feel like poo poo about it in RoW is kind of nice, but they still give her a free murder pass moment. I don't know what Brandon wants out of that character.

Coquito Ergo Sum fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Nov 17, 2021

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
The surprise ending at the end of RoW has some clever foreshadowing in the letters to Hoid included in the earlier Epigraphs.

Frost's response letter to Hoid in WoR (responding to Hoid's earlier call to arms against Odium in tWoK epigraphs)

quote:

My path has been chosen very deliberately. Yes, I agree with everything you have said about Rayse, including the severe danger he presents. However, it seems to me that all things have been set up for a purpose, and if we—as infants—stumble through the workshop, we risk exacerbating, not preventing, a problem. Rayse is captive. He cannot leave the system he now inhabits. His destructive potential is, therefore, inhibited. Whether this was Tanavast's design or not, millennia have passed without Rayse taking the life of another of the sixteen. While I mourn for the great suffering Rayse has caused, I do not believe we could hope for a better outcome than this. He bears the weight of God's own divine hatred, separated from the virtues that gave it context. He is what we made him to be, old friend. And that is what he, unfortunately, wished to become. I suspect that he is more a force than an individual now, despite your insistence to the contrary. That force is contained, and an equilibrium reached.

Whoops you replaced the old irrational rage-blinded Odium with a new brilliant Machiavellian Odium who is almost certainly about to spread misery around the greater cosmere! To be fair though, Hoid didn't actually play a huge part in bringing about that change, it was mostly Cultivation's plot.

The other good line is from Oathbringer's Epigraphs from Endowment (goddess of Warbreaker's planet) and her response to Hoid.

quote:

"Regardless, this is not your concern. You turned your back on divinity. If Rayse becomes an issue, he will be dealt with. And so will you."

Makes you wonder just how much of the creation of Nightblood and it's movement to Roshar was planned by Endowment+Cultivation in advance.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

Subvisual Haze posted:

The surprise ending at the end of RoW has some clever foreshadowing in the letters to Hoid included in the earlier Epigraphs.

Frost's response letter to Hoid in WoR (responding to Hoid's earlier call to arms against Odium in tWoK epigraphs)

Whoops you replaced the old irrational rage-blinded Odium with a new brilliant Machiavellian Odium who is almost certainly about to spread misery around the greater cosmere! To be fair though, Hoid didn't actually play a huge part in bringing about that change, it was mostly Cultivation's plot.

The other good line is from Oathbringer's Epigraphs from Endowment (goddess of Warbreaker's planet) and her response to Hoid.

Makes you wonder just how much of the creation of Nightblood and it's movement to Roshar was planned by Endowment+Cultivation in advance.

I seem to recall another epigraph letter with Sazed where he warns Hoid to focus on the power, not the person. That might have been in RoW.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Is there a decent summation of the events of RoW's ending? I really feel like I didn't get all that I should have out of it, and I'm worried that I'm going to go into the next book confused as hell.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I like to just read the Chapter Summaries on Coppermind alongside my re-read:

https://coppermind.net/wiki/Summary:Rhythm_of_War#Part_5:_Knowing_a_Home_of_Songs.2C_Called_Our_Burden

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Barreft posted:

His poor editor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRxsLPux3xg

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Barreft posted:

realizing that Sanderson is more prolific than Steven King was at this point in his career has shaken me to my core

and Sanderson's only drug is mtg

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

egg tats posted:

and Sanderson's only drug is mtg

Giving updates on Reddit, YouTube, and his official site might also be an addiction too.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Barreft posted:

Is every dot a different novel or novella, even if they don't have a name tag? Jesus christ.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.

Barreft posted:

This is honestly insane when you look at it like this.

I would like to see how he compares to other really prolific writers that don't do fantasy.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

insider posted:

I would like to see how he compares to other really prolific writers that don't do fantasy.

Stephen King isn't really a fantasy author, dark tower notwithstanding. Unless you consider horror to be a subset of fantasy.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

Stephen King isn't really a fantasy author, dark tower notwithstanding. Unless you consider horror to be a subset of fantasy.

eyes of the dragon and the talisman are also fantasy books

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

scary ghost dog posted:

eyes of the dragon and the talisman are also fantasy books

Yeah, and he also wrote a sequel to the talisman. My point is he's written a handful of fantasy books but he's not a fantasy author by most definitions, so if you're looking to compare the output of a non-fantasy writer to Sanderson's output, King is a pretty good pick. Especially because he's one of the few non-fantasy-by-most-definitions authors who will occasionally pop out a thousand page doorstop of a book. Neal Stephenson is another who will do that, but then you can start making the argument that sci-fi books are fantasy books but with magic replaced with technology.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Wonder what a graph of Tom Clancy and "Tom Clancy's" would look like.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

insider posted:

Pretty sure romance genre authors win this contest without breaking a sweat.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Sanderson's newsletter just came out, skyward #3 is released

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I am an rear end in a top hat and have bought the UK versions of the skyward books because the covers are far, far superior to the US versions.

I guess it'll come here a little ways into December. See ya later thread!