Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
There's nothing I enjoy more than watching """modders rights""" get destroyed. You exist to make free content for someone else's game lol. Hey moddie, do more free work haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Trampling the rights of modders by being happy people, including other modders, aren't screwed over cause someone with a monopoly on the unofficial patch and a complex wants to completely delete an older version and tell everyone else to deal with it and update to the latest legal version you loving pirates.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

ThaumPenguin posted:

Oh, that sounds great! It makes me wonder, are there any precedents for a script extender directly implementing fixes?

LE SKSE has memory patches built in since the game isn't particularly functional without them.

Gonkish posted:

Also, on a totally different note, according to this post on reddit it looks like some of the Engine Fixes mod is going to be implemented DIRECTLY INTO SKSE BY THE SKSE DEVS. So, like, that's a potentially awesome benefit of the Engine fixes author not having the time to update the mod.

Someone has taken on the burden of updating CommonLib for AE so it's likely I'll end up updating Engine Fixes.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

aers posted:

Someone has taken on the burden of updating CommonLib for AE so it's likely I'll end up updating Engine Fixes.

Ok two things:

1. Didn't even realize you were a goon! That's awesome!
2. Engine Fixes is loving AMAZING and I have no idea how any of it works, but thank you for making it at all, let alone updating it. Holy poo poo.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
How's the status of the anniversary edition mod apocalypse? everything still on fire and needing updates to function or is it going smoothly?

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

How's the status of the anniversary edition mod apocalypse? everything still on fire and needing updates to function or is it going smoothly?

We're in the stage where SKSE needs to be updated fully. (There's a partially functional beta out right now.) That's kind of the first step. Once that happens, other things can start moving along in earnest.

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

Leal posted:

I love that Arthmoor, being staunchly against the nexus file changes, is the poster child as to why its a good idea.

Last I checked he's still whining on the mod author's forums, but it's been a month or so.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Modding adjacent, I've been fiddling with a huge list of mods and threw in some nice ENBs and it's making my six-year old 960 chug. In doing so and with Elden Ring coming up I thought it might be time to upgrade my GPU. I thought to myself "that scalping thing surely is over in 2021 on the older-model GPUs" and I could not have been more wrong.

In the meantime catch me at a hot 30 fps with my ENB shaders and JK overhauls

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
You are playing with SE, right? Cause that upgrade made a huge difference for me.

Burns
May 10, 2008

I am back to having issues with items in the inventory crashing the game whever i try to sell them.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Yeah, I'm playing with SE but I'm running the usual suite of ELFX, Cathedral Weathers, water mods and stuff. Chucked out my grass mod even though it claimed to be faster than vanilla (which might have been true, no noticeable difference). Noble Skyrim doesn't seem to contribute to the problem much. If I chuck the ENB down to just color-correction I hit an easy 45-55 but with the actual shader it gets worse. Honestly, towns are fine but out in the woods especially I get a little chuggy.

I mean I've got 150 mods active so probably there's some scripting stuff and whatnot but the ENB seems to be the heavy lift. I also uh, haven't dusted out my PC in years.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Clean your PC and put in new thermal paste. Maybe change your CPU's fan, that's a good way to recover some performance and keep it alive for longer.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

ENB SE just straight up has massive overhead due to the way Boris implemented it. You can easily test this by disabling every single feature but leaving ENB actually enabled, there should still be a significant FPS hit.

If you just want color correction setting something up with Reshade will probably significantly improve your framerate. If you want ENB bells and whistles, well, you're stuck with it.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Honestly, I think SE looks great as is. LE needed help, and ENBs could only do so much, but SE, especially with some lighting tweaking mods can be quite beautiful.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
The Micro Center near me has a discord set up with channels for each GPU model. You join channel and get in the queue and once they have a model from any brand come in for that queue they give a portion to the queue. Get an hour to respond if you're called and until EOD to pick it up. Pay regular store price.

If you want to upgrade, looking around your local brick and mortars for a similar program might be worth your while.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Dameius posted:

The Micro Center near me has a discord set up with channels for each GPU model. You join channel and get in the queue and once they have a model from any brand come in for that queue they give a portion to the queue. Get an hour to respond if you're called and until EOD to pick it up. Pay regular store price.

If you want to upgrade, looking around your local brick and mortars for a similar program might be worth your while.

Didn't MC start price hiking GPUs?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Hey thanks for reminding me about deactivating mods in MO, I got rid of the survival stuff, the bathing stuff, and Genesis in the QWEST list. I disabled wildcat on the right side because I couldn't find it listed on the left side. OBIS I couldn't disable because the game kept crashing at the title screen, but that can be disabled in the MCM and I don't really care about invisible bandits as long as there aren't half a dozen of them and their friends bumrushing me at level 2.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Rinkles posted:

Didn't MC start price hiking GPUs?

Maybe? Its been awhile since I checked in on it because lol gently caress buying in this market but figured I'd just share it out there.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
OBIS is bloated and honestly sucks (especially for compatibility), but there's just so few actually good mods that add additional enemies that people just keep being compelled to include it in lists.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
The while thing about upgrading GPUs is doesn't that mean I'd need a new CPU, which means a new mobo? I frankly don't use my PC for that much high spec gaming and it's done me well for the past six years but with Elden Ring coming up and Skyrim not running modded like it used to it's making me consider.

It also could be the brain worms telling me I need to run modded Skyrim at 50 fps but y'know. I can always go back to Cathedrals ENB which is mostly a color set and run at 45 pretty solid

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Depends on what you currently have. It's quite possible that a CPU upgrade would only marginally improve performance.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Zodack posted:

The while thing about upgrading GPUs is doesn't that mean I'd need a new CPU, which means a new mobo? I frankly don't use my PC for that much high spec gaming and it's done me well for the past six years but with Elden Ring coming up and Skyrim not running modded like it used to it's making me consider.

It also could be the brain worms telling me I need to run modded Skyrim at 50 fps but y'know. I can always go back to Cathedrals ENB which is mostly a color set and run at 45 pretty solid

Ya if your computer is 6 years old the CPU will create a bottleneck against the GPU. Might not matter for skyrim but you would notice with other stuff

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Zodack posted:

GPUs go into a slot on the motherboard (PCI-E) that hasn't changed in like ... fifteen years?

New CPUs almost always require new motherboards, unless you're upgrading to something from the same company that came out only a month or six later.

New motherboards will often require new RAM if it's been a few years. A new standard will have come out by then.

Elden Ring is also making me consider an upgrade, as my computer hasn't really changed since 2013 except for a new GPU in 2016. But in terms of hardware compatibility, I could just replace that GPU and not worry about the rest. (Except for power requirements. Gotta worry about wattage.)

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

aers posted:

ENB SE just straight up has massive overhead due to the way Boris implemented it. You can easily test this by disabling every single feature but leaving ENB actually enabled, there should still be a significant FPS hit.

If you just want color correction setting something up with Reshade will probably significantly improve your framerate. If you want ENB bells and whistles, well, you're stuck with it.

Mine goes from low 20s to low 40s with one checkbox on the ENB panel (I forget the dialogue but it's the main one)

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
I have cleaned a truly vile amount of dust from my PC and swapped to Rudy from the other ENB I was using and am averaging 35 FPS in JK's interiors and 38-42 in the overworld (I haven't tried forests yet so that'll be... fun).

Messing around in the ENB menu and there are so many checkboxes that all have some variety of nonsense in them, not sure what "the main one" is but I will poke around.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

I usually use this little guide to help enb performance. It should work on any enb but I mainly use rudy's.

https://imgur.com/4neJqdv

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Zeron posted:

OBIS is bloated and honestly sucks (especially for compatibility), but there's just so few actually good mods that add additional enemies that people just keep being compelled to include it in lists.

My first memory of using OBIS was going to Bleak Falls Barrow and seeing about five bandits come running down the stairs, at least two of them without heads. I don't know if I can entirely blame that on OBIS but it was probably OBIS's fault somehow.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Hmmm... So Redbag does intelligent things and creates an entirely new cell for his interiors, which is good from the perspective of not loving random poo poo up accidentally, but it does create issues with the Silver armor quest from the Anniversary CC stuff. (The armor is in a chest in Lund's hut, near Rorikstead, and he gives that a makeover as well... which means that the chest is in an unreachable cell, because Redbag created his own, clean cells and didn't touch the vanilla Lund hut cell).

I need to figure out how to duplicate the chest and/or move it to the new cell, and I have no idea how to do this properly in the CK. (I mean, for the time being I used movetoqt in the console and it popped me into the cell to grab the chest just fine, but for future runs. If I get it working and don't gently caress things up I might even release the patch for others.)

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

There's an FNV mod called Afterschool Special which renovates the Goodsprings schoolhouse into a player home. To avoid any issues, the player home is a separate cell from the schoolhouse interior. You can actually choose which interior to enter by flipping a switch on the back wall. I guess it switches which door is present?

I suppose you could use that as an inspiration, maybe download it and see if you can find out how they did it?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I got this spell mod and holy poo poo this rocks

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/27789

You continue casting the spell and if there is anything gatherable near you it will spawn a wisp that flies over and grabs it. This can also include loose ingredient items out in the world.

All those gatherables around Whiterun? Bam, they take care of it all. Just keep casting until no more wisps show up.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I used an Auto-loot mod for a while on a previous run to a similar effect. I recall it was kind of a pain to setup because the default at the time was 'loot everything around me 100% of the time" and you had to kind of customize it from there. I remember the installation was a pain too for some reason, although that may have been related to the interaction with FO4 style quick loot.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Re: the CC stuff in Anniversary: technically they updated them to not spam you with courier notes at the start of the game... but somewhere along the line I must have a conflict or something, because I'm still getting a few.

Notably, Ebony Plate armor at level 1 is uh... yeah. Also, the zombies quest (Plague of the Dead), and Hendraheim for some reason. Those are all supposed to be delayed, but aren't. I'm going to have to dig through conflict resolution in xEdit to see what's up.

Waiting on the various patch collections to update for the new CC versions. Holy poo poo there's a lot of stuff.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Well poo poo. Looks like my game updated to AE.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Burns posted:

Well poo poo. Looks like my game updated to AE.

either roll with it and don't use SKSE dependent mods for a little while or downgrade the exe back to the SE one and keep your mods as is.

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/57618

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I'm currently going through the Book of CBBE, which adds a lot of visual variety, but has a chunk of silly skimpy sets. So I'm going through and unskimpifying them and

I laughed

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
I've never played Skyrim using followers before so I've been unaware of their quirks - are there any mods that generally improve them? I realized I can't tell them "hey use this armor/equip" and the interaction so far has been flavorful but minimal. I've got some mod for increased follower interaction but honestly that might be a Hearthfire thing and also be one of those weird stitched-together dialogue mods.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/58589

I did a thing. It uses SPID to give Irileth the CC Netch Leather Armor. That's it. There are other mods that do this, but they actually touch Irileth's NPC record (thus necessitating compatibility patches or potentially causing issues). This, on the other hand, uses SPID, which does some loving black magic to do its thing.

I'm currently attempting to figure out how to get SPID to give Dunmer bandits in Skyrim proper a chance to spawn in Netch Armor, but I am too dumb to figure it out. SPID is neat, though.

Gonkish fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Nov 17, 2021

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Zodack posted:

I've never played Skyrim using followers before so I've been unaware of their quirks - are there any mods that generally improve them? I realized I can't tell them "hey use this armor/equip" and the interaction so far has been flavorful but minimal. I've got some mod for increased follower interaction but honestly that might be a Hearthfire thing and also be one of those weird stitched-together dialogue mods.

I suggest leaving them non essential.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

this fuggin guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Rinkles posted:

I suggest leaving them non essential.

The serial killer trying to spread his craft!