Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Colostomy Bag posted:

There is so much wrong with this.

Guess one redeeming thing is the jack stand. But that is probably under a giant pile of rust as well.

Meh, many of those arent even under tension and they will elongate a fair amount before popping. Its much safer than some of the spring compressors that are dubiously holding on or worse are already slipping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I've seen far too many springs compressed using sub-standard means recently. It's like one dude posted one on toktok and then everyone else decided to post the times they had seen something similar.

The worst one I saw was the one that had woodworking clamps holding it in, like the ones you use when you're glueing two pieces together.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Wasn't there one with 1,000 zip-ties?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

PainterofCrap posted:

I remember that from like 20 ish years ago.
That was how the dude lowered the car IIRC.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Watch Wes Work encounters a Horrible Electrial Failure:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dA3NvgM0jAQ

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Jesus he couldn't have chosen a worse place to drill.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Farmers are known for modifying their equipment, you'd think JCB would put a sticker there or something that says "HEY, ALL THE WIRES FOR THIS poo poo ARE UNDER HERE"

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

I love that every wire is yellow with a green stripe.

Stripes cost extra! The stripe is painted on in a separate manufacturing step! Why did you spend extra on striped wire, but not different colors?

AI tip: buy striped automotive wire here. Pretty sure it's just one guy with a garage full of wire. Seems to be a competently run operation.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

STR posted:

You'll just lift the entire car. When black death hits, those fuckers are in there reaaaaaaaaal loving good. Some people wind up removing the head and chiseling out the injector, then drilling out what's left.

It's a somewhat common issue on common rail diesel Mercs. Seals on the injectors start letting exhaust out, melts everything around them, and by the time you've noticed it being down on power it's usually a big mess.

The seals let go, letting soot build up around them. Also melts everything around them.

Come to think of it, user builds character should probably make sure that's not happening on their Sprinter..

:hfive:

I don't know about lifting a whole van, but they get really stuck. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW7obNKxc4U The engine is only(?) 500 lbs dry according to shipping weights.

And black death is gross. It was one of the things I checked for and fortunately so far the van is clean. Replacing injectors and seals is on the radar for a long term (50-100k miles) project. Lots wood to chop before that though.

Here's what it looks like (not mine) when it's not terrible. It can definitely be worse, but those should all be just clean.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

PainterofCrap posted:

wesleywillis posted:

I remember that from like 20 ish years ago.
That was how the dude lowered the car IIRC.

This one?

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

ili posted:

This one?

Based on most RX-8 owners I've met, this is 100% on point.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

McTinkerson posted:

Based on most RX-8 owners I've met, this is 100% on point.

I was going to say, that's very On Brand™

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

ili posted:

This one?

That's the one.

Wanted to be around the first time he hit a good bump.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
since I saw it on a Mazda board, yeah probably that one.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Thumposaurus posted:

TLDW synopsis: guy has a beefy truck for towing heavy poo poo. Has a transmission built, repowers with an even beefier motor and twisted the input shaft so badly that the torque converter has to be taken apart with a death wheel to inspect the rest of the guts.

In the followup video, pretty much all of rest of the transmission, saving the exploded input shaft and pump stator that got chewed up removing the torque converter, was still solid and reusable. Rich really knows his poo poo with transmissions.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

ryanrs posted:

Stripes cost extra! The stripe is painted on in a separate manufacturing step! Why did you spend extra on striped wire, but not different colors?

AI tip: buy striped automotive wire here. Pretty sure it's just one guy with a garage full of wire. Seems to be a competently run operation.

Saving this for later. I may end up wiring the Opel more or less from scratch.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

ryanrs posted:

I thought the same thing but it turns out they printed the wire number every few inches on the insulation so it's not the end of the world.

I'm going to have to bookmark that, I've been buying assortments on eBay when I need a bunch for a project.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

kastein posted:

I thought the same thing but it turns out they printed the wire number every few inches on the insulation so it's not the end of the world.

I'm going to have to bookmark that, I've been buying assortments on eBay when I need a bunch for a project.

Reminds me of some military aircraft and ship wiring. All white Teflon. All labeled individually, with heat shrink labels at each end and regularly along each wire. And then bundled with kapton overwrap.

https://imgur.com/SdxGrNZ
Like that, but with orange tape over everything.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

And people ask where the military spends its money.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

https://i.imgur.com/WznnJno.mp4

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

BigPaddy posted:

And people ask where the military spends its money.

I don't ask. And that's not even close to the most wasteful poo poo that happens.

Awww, sleepy truck.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
https://i.imgur.com/Bk2vqXB.mp4

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Feels like these two are related.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

kastein posted:

Jesus he couldn't have chosen a worse place to drill.

The hydraulic oil tank has taken you up on that challenge.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

I knew taco trucks were becoming more popular but this is ridiculous

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
There's a lot of bad places to drill, but i think the battery wins

It's scared or threatened. Best thing to do is to leave it alone

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

kastein posted:

Yup buses do this too. Its a whole lot easier for troubleshooting than a rainbow of colors and stripes*.

*for the colorblind.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

builds character posted:

:hfive:

I don't know about lifting a whole van, but they get really stuck. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW7obNKxc4U The engine is only(?) 500 lbs dry according to shipping weights.

And black death is gross. It was one of the things I checked for and fortunately so far the van is clean. Replacing injectors and seals is on the radar for a long term (50-100k miles) project. Lots wood to chop before that though.

Here's what it looks like (not mine) when it's not terrible. It can definitely be worse, but those should all be just clean.

:stare: I have never had this happen on a VW/Audi Common Rail. How the hell does this happen. Is that just seal failures?

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

CommieGIR posted:

:stare: I have never had this happen on a VW/Audi Common Rail. How the hell does this happen. Is that just seal failures?

I believe it's failures of the injector sealing o-rings. They allow combustion gasses/goo to leak out into the open. This slowly-leaking combustion goo is the best glue known to man and makes it drat near impossible to remove the injectors.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Deteriorata posted:

Watch Wes Work encounters a Horrible Electrial Failure:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dA3NvgM0jAQ

You know, after all that, I kinda hate the stud he welded in. How is that not going to be twice as annoying as the loose rubber trim?

Just glue it with contact cement, god drat.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

CommieGIR posted:

Yup. There are copper seals that can leak. Everyone on the internet always says "faulty copper seals" but I honestly don't know what that means. Faulty like the design is bad or faulty like the manufacturing process is bad or faulty like they're actually a wear part and MB didn't call them that? It's really just copper washers so my guess is there's something else going on because they should be fairly straightforward to design and have predictable use characteristics. One possibility is that the prior procedure for tightening down injectors wasn't good enough because MB changed the tightening procedure for tightening them down in the new 2007+ vans (with a different engine) from one 90 degree turn after torque to two 90 degree turns. So maybe there are some that are just a little bit too lose and that's the cause.

Here's a video of the kind of puffing sound they make when they go bad and you can hear (and apparently smell) the diesel escaping so the other half of the mystery is why folks don't hear their engine change or smell the difference and think "hey, I wonder what's going on?". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKaOtRmFjB8

chrisgt posted:

I believe it's failures of the injector sealing o-rings. They allow combustion gasses/goo to leak out into the open. This slowly-leaking combustion goo is the best glue known to man and makes it drat near impossible to remove the injectors.

Apparently oven cleaner is the thing that gets rid of it but oven cleaner is also a terrible penetrant so it only clears it up on the outside.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Doesn't oven cleaner eat aluminum?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

ryanrs posted:

You know, after all that, I kinda hate the stud he welded in. How is that not going to be twice as annoying as the loose rubber trim?

Just glue it with contact cement, god drat.

just a strip of duct tape across the entire seam would have been good enough! replace it once a year or so

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

ryanrs posted:

Well you don't want to leave it there, yes, but once you rinse it off it'll stop reacting. Ideally use something else if you can avoid anything with Lye in it.

builds character posted:

Yup. There are copper seals that can leak. Everyone on the internet always says "faulty copper seals" but I honestly don't know what that means. Faulty like the design is bad or faulty like the manufacturing process is bad or faulty like they're actually a wear part and MB didn't call them that? It's really just copper washers so my guess is there's something else going on because they should be fairly straightforward to design and have predictable use characteristics. One possibility is that the prior procedure for tightening down injectors wasn't good enough because MB changed the tightening procedure for tightening them down in the new 2007+ vans (with a different engine) from one 90 degree turn after torque to two 90 degree turns. So maybe there are some that are just a little bit too lose and that's the cause.

Here's a video of the kind of puffing sound they make when they go bad and you can hear (and apparently smell) the diesel escaping so the other half of the mystery is why folks don't hear their engine change or smell the difference and think "hey, I wonder what's going on?". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKaOtRmFjB8

Apparently oven cleaner is the thing that gets rid of it but oven cleaner is also a terrible penetrant so it only clears it up on the outside.

Yeah I personally haven't experienced this failure yet in any of our CRDs or TDIs even after injector re-seals. Odd that Mercedes is dealing with this usually they have the better processes for this stuff.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Nov 17, 2021

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

builds character posted:

If you gotta get rid of organic compounds, there's always piranha solution :unsmigghh:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

ryanrs posted:

It'll also eat your skin, whoops

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

Well you don't want to leave it there, yes, but once you rinse it off it'll stop reacting. Ideally use something else if you can avoid anything with Lye in it.

Easy Off - Fume Free - lemon scent - is my choice for cleaning aluminum when normal APC or Purple Power won't touch the road grime.

Still not amazing for you - but less likely to cause issues with aluminum.
2-(2-butoxyethoxy)ethanol
potassium carbonate
2-aminoethanol
isobutane
d-Limonene

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Yeah, I am imagining caustic oven cleaner eating little pits in whatever aluminum that copper washer is supposed to seal against.

(I don't know anything about these cars and injectors, but this set off a material incompatibility warning in my brain.)

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

ryanrs posted:

Oh my god thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah I personally haven't experienced this failure yet in any of our CRDs or TDIs even after injector re-seals. Odd that Mercedes is dealing with this usually they have the better processes for this stuff.

Yeah, this makes sense to me but I haven't had the problem so it's all just based on reading I've done before buying and folks seem to say "oven cleaner" although carb cleaner is also suggested. The other advice is "just drive it until the injector pops." As someone new to diesels this seems like the dumbest most terrifying idea ever but it's also very popular advice. It's interesting because apparently it isn't nearly the same kind of problem in europe where they had the exact same engine. And it's not a problem with the next two gens of sprinters either which have the same kind of injector seals and hold downs.

ryanrs posted:

Yeah, I am imagining caustic oven cleaner eating little pits in whatever aluminum that copper washer is supposed to seal against.

(I don't know anything about these cars and injectors, but this set off a material incompatibility warning in my brain.)

You do need to lap the seats with 600 grit sandpaper (again, according to the internet so...) so maybe that's why folks think it's OK? I really don't know other than that it's an interesting mechanical problem MB created for themselves. I'm planning on replacing things prior to it being an issue so hopefully I won't show up here posting "hey this is black death in a sprinter..."