Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
the Texas Democrats being a complete dumpster fire notwithstanding, its great and by great I mean awful that the national Democrats just look at red states as a donation piggy bank to crack open every few years by putting up awful candidates that manage to check all the boxes for white professionals to send in a check

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
These are too critical of elections to take a chance doing anything but that thing that doesn't work

I mean the get elected part doesn't work the using it for $$$ sure does. Very tight.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Proud Christian Mom posted:

the Texas Democrats being a complete dumpster fire notwithstanding, its great and by great I mean awful that the national Democrats just look at red states as a donation piggy bank to crack open every few years by putting up awful candidates that manage to check all the boxes for white professionals to send in a check

In the 2017 election the VA DNC lost its chance at taking control of the statehouse because they let too many races go uncontested. It came down to drawing a name out of a 35mm film container to decide which party would control the statehouse. The Republicans won. The Democrats finally took it in 2019 with a rather large margin, but lost it this time around.

I should also note that they managed to gently caress up their *right* to redistrict the state, being the party in the majority, and the state legislature is allowed to vote on and approve new districts. But the GOP got the ballot initiative marked in such a way that made it sound like it was something *good* to undo years of precedent which would've allowed, at least for the next decade. They never explained it to Democratic voters, and even though it was marked "VOTE NO" on the Democratic sample ballot, it's not like you can trust anyone to read those!

So even though Trump lost VA by a little over ten points, *this* poo poo happened: https://ballotpedia.org/Virginia_Question_1,_Redistricting_Commission_Amendment_(2020)

65.69% of the electorate voted to allow the GOP to upend legislative precedent because they worded the ballot initiative with :decorum:.

Not that it's any surprise, but the bipartisan commission can't agree on loving *anything*, which is burning valuable time that could've been spent with different congressional districts: https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2021/10/20/virginia-congressional-redistricting-gridlock/

WHEN the redistricting committee admits they're deadlocked and unable to come to a consensus, the ultimate decision on redistricting falls to the VA Supreme Court Justices, which currently stands at 4:3 D:R.

Be sure to note the "Compositions" here to see just how infuriating it is to live in a state where the Democrats tripped over their dicks into a majority and now seem to be loving it away back to a Republican supermajority: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supreme_Court_of_Virginia#Current_composition

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

So World Cup qualifiers are currently happening and CONCAF has been in full swing for the last few weeks.

Right now Mexico is playing Canada. In Edmonton.

https://twitter.com/BodogCA/status/1460715849594118156

lol.

As of right now, Canada is up 2-0. If Mexico loses, that's three straight loses on the national level which is very schadenfreudey

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Handsome Ralph posted:

As of right now, Canada is up 2-0. If Mexico loses, that's three straight loses on the national level which is very schadenfreudey

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Waterloo

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Handsome Ralph posted:

So World Cup qualifiers are currently happening and CONCAF has been in full swing for the last few weeks.

Right now Mexico is playing Canada. In Edmonton.

https://twitter.com/BodogCA/status/1460715849594118156

lol.

Serves them right for telling the USMNT that when they looked in the mirror they wished they were like Mexico. And then promptly lost their third match this year against the US.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Very spirited game at the end… Canada almost gave it all up

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Hekk posted:

Serves them right for telling the USMNT that when they looked in the mirror they wished they were like Mexico. And then promptly lost their third match this year against the US.

Honestly seeing Mexico not only eat poo poo at the gold cup but also last Friday has really made this a banner year.

Canada beating them is just the cherry on top.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Local current events from your bizarrely friendly neighbours north of the 49th: Extreme flooding in southwestern British Columbia and northwestern Washington has reached the point where every highway out of the Vancouver area is shut down and underwater, and there are multiple cities with states of emergency declared due to the rising water levels.

https://twitter.com/KamilKaramali/status/1460691884041400322

The pumping station stopping the Fraser River from completely overflowing and being diverted into the lowlands of the Sumas watershed is about to be overrun. If any one of the pumps fail or the water levels rise another metre, the Fraser will start dumping into the lowlands. An area about 30 miles long by 10 miles wide will be a brand new lake that crosses the border.

https://twitter.com/waEMD/status/1460837285545398272

Even if everything turns around right now there's an estimated $30 billion in infrastructure damages. Several demolished sections of critical highway, multiple towns have lost parts of their water and sewage grids, and the oil pipelines are shutting down.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
https://twitter.com/germanotes/status/1460837243489247233?t=GxkrTBXDjyMwl89AbP4e-Q&s=19

:barf:

With all their sports sponsorships, I wonder when they'll get overextended and no longer be able to pay for any of this poo poo.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Hope LA got the money for the naming rights in cash.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Brute Squad posted:

Hope LA got the money for the naming rights in cash.

:lol:

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Getting real North Haverbrook vibes there.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Really great episode of The Team House where they interview Sean Naylor who wrote Not A Good Day To Die, about Operation Anaconda, and Relentless Strike about the history of JSOC.

He's apparently PNGed from the NSW community because he wrote what fuckups they were in Anaconda.

https://youtu.be/xUzFMADUPNY

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

In the 2017 election the VA DNC lost its chance at taking control of the statehouse because they let too many races go uncontested. It came down to drawing a name out of a 35mm film container to decide which party would control the statehouse. The Republicans won. The Democrats finally took it in 2019 with a rather large margin, but lost it this time around.

I should also note that they managed to gently caress up their *right* to redistrict the state, being the party in the majority, and the state legislature is allowed to vote on and approve new districts. But the GOP got the ballot initiative marked in such a way that made it sound like it was something *good* to undo years of precedent which would've allowed, at least for the next decade. They never explained it to Democratic voters, and even though it was marked "VOTE NO" on the Democratic sample ballot, it's not like you can trust anyone to read those!

So even though Trump lost VA by a little over ten points, *this* poo poo happened: https://ballotpedia.org/Virginia_Question_1,_Redistricting_Commission_Amendment_(2020)

65.69% of the electorate voted to allow the GOP to upend legislative precedent because they worded the ballot initiative with :decorum:.

Not that it's any surprise, but the bipartisan commission can't agree on loving *anything*, which is burning valuable time that could've been spent with different congressional districts: https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2021/10/20/virginia-congressional-redistricting-gridlock/

WHEN the redistricting committee admits they're deadlocked and unable to come to a consensus, the ultimate decision on redistricting falls to the VA Supreme Court Justices, which currently stands at 4:3 D:R.

Be sure to note the "Compositions" here to see just how infuriating it is to live in a state where the Democrats tripped over their dicks into a majority and now seem to be loving it away back to a Republican supermajority: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supreme_Court_of_Virginia#Current_composition

The only den group I saw actively campaigning against that ballot initiative was the NAACP.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Bored As gently caress posted:

Really great episode of The Team House where they interview Sean Naylor who wrote Not A Good Day To Die, about Operation Anaconda, and Relentless Strike about the history of JSOC.

He's apparently PNGed from the NSW community because he wrote what fuckups they were in Anaconda.

https://youtu.be/xUzFMADUPNY

What a bunch of babies. Lessons learned? gently caress that.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Who hasn’t abandoned a AFSOC guy to die once or twice and then tried to cover it up while touting their heroism.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Who hasn’t abandoned a AFSOC guy to die once or twice and then tried to cover it up while touting their heroism.

Reminds me of one of the villains in far cry five although that guy ate the other person eventually. But he really does encapsulate all the most toxic things about the military all in one.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

All because DevGru assholes wanted in on the action Delta was doing and succeeding in during Op Anaconda.

Pete Blaber, overall commander of JSOC in Op Anaconda, had sent his recce teams out in similar mountains to get used to the environment they'd be working in. "Environmental intelligence" and all that. Those Delta and TFO / ISA guys put in a lot of work, studied the terrain, studied the history of the area, studied battle tactics with books like The Bear Went Over the Mountain, about Soviet tactics, and The Other Side of the Mountain, about Afghan Mujahideen tactics during the Soviet-Afghan War. They did intelligence preparation of the battlefield, were prepped and kitted out for the harsh terrain and weather.

2 Delta recce / combat combat controller teams went in on foot, and one went in on modified ATVs with custom mufflers that made them as silent as possible. They set up on the high ground around the Shahi Kot valley. They basically saved the operation that was done by SF A Teams with indig Afghans working as the hammer on the west side, and 101st air assault on the east side of the valley working as the anvil. Only problem was that the hundreds of Al Qaeda guys weren't in the valley - they were in the mountains. The SF Teams and 101st guys were getting mortared and hosed up until the Delta recce teams called in accurate as gently caress fires on top of the AQ assholes.

Then the SEALs feel butt hurt about not getting in on the action (even though Blaber had included a limited number of SEALs to the mission already(, so Blaber gets side stepped and overruled by the overall commander of the Operation. Then, due to weather and mechanical issues with a helo, the DevGru element wasnt able to be infiltrated at night at their HLZ on the bottom of Takur Gar. The plan was to insert onto the bottom slopes of Takur Gar, then walk on foot to the top of the mountain, with the best, most commanding view of the entire valley. The delays cost them the darkness, and the DevGru element leader wanted to push it back another day so they could go in at night. He was overruled, and so they were to be inserted onto the top of Takur Gar. Inserted directly onto their OP. loving useless SEALs never learn. Between this and Operation Red Wings, the loving SEALs should never be allowed to pick where they're Inserted. They got hosed up, SEAL Neil C. Roberts either jumped or fell off the helo, and the rest of the clusterfuck started from there.

Good books on the issue:
Not A Goor Day to Die, by Sean Naylor
The Men, the Mission, and Me, by Pete Blaber (Delta officer in charge of AFO / the JSOC element of Op Anaconda)
Robert's Ridge, Malcolm McPherson

Bored As Fuck fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Nov 17, 2021

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They really might want to consider rolling back the Seals. For comedy value tell them that Marine Recon will take over their duties, "Because we trust the crayon eaters to do far less war crimes and shithead behavior then you."

Slightly unrelated:
Okay can anyone tell me is the joke about the Marines training you to be homeless later in life, a joke that came from the other branches, or within the Marines themselves? Cause I've heard it, but mostly from a former Army guys.

Sorry I'm kind of interested in the origin of all the weird Marine insults/"badges of honor". I'm still trying to figure out the crayon one, which has to be post 1969 as my Dad never remembered hearing jokes like that.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
The crayon joke is relatively recent and Marines have fully embraced it because nobody is allowed to hate the Marine Corps more than Marines.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Time Crisis Actor posted:

The crayon joke is relatively recent and Marines have fully embraced it because nobody is allowed to hate the Marine Corps more than Marines.

"We embrace your mockery and make it our own"

I mean, it is a service that loves to haze itself.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Yea, it's been a thing for a long time. Leatherneck was not a term of endearment either when it started.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Idk marines get hella mad when you poo poo on them but they also know on average they can prob kick more asses so they are a bit more chill than the AF or navy about jokes.

The army will just help you talk poo poo about ourselves ime.

"You think that's stupid, let me tell you about THIS stupid poo poo!"

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
I got pissed at an air force captain because he was explaining the process to get free days off of work to a bunch of junior soldiers after TDY or deployment in order to reintegrate with family and just chill out at home.

I was pissed because that’s only AFI policy, not DOD and sure as poo poo not Army so he’d spent the morning teaching Army junior enlisted about an Air Force free days off benefits that other services do not get. Way to get people’s hopes up by not knowing that stuff is only for airmen…

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Marines are hands down the funniest branch. They are also the most hosed up.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
https://twitter.com/KlasfeldReports/status/1461013185700536326?t=3UAk7CPmE_Z8wkIELlkaYA&s=19

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1461013287957630977?t=7CBzlqBGwIBl_Fqx2Rus3Q&s=19

Government recommended 51 months, so not a *huge* deviation

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thanks for the info everyone!

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

MazelTovCocktail posted:

They really might want to consider rolling back the Seals. For comedy value tell them that Marine Recon will take over their duties, "Because we trust the crayon eaters to do far less war crimes and shithead behavior then you."

Believe it or not but MARSOC could fit that bill well. They're a mix between Rangers and SF, with a heavy focus on Foreign Internal Defense as their primary mission.

https://coffeeordie.com/raiders-vs-special-forces/

I don't know anyone in MARSOC, but from what I've read they have modeled their qualification course after the SF Q course.

As much as we lambast Marines for loving Crayola, I'd bet money that the average MARSOC operator is far and above more intelligent than the average SEAL.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

how many MARSOC dudes have 7 figure book deals

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

mlmp08 posted:

I got pissed at an air force captain because he was explaining the process to get free days off of work to a bunch of junior soldiers after TDY or deployment in order to reintegrate with family and just chill out at home.

I was pissed because that’s only AFI policy, not DOD and sure as poo poo not Army so he’d spent the morning teaching Army junior enlisted about an Air Force free days off benefits that other services do not get. Way to get people’s hopes up by not knowing that stuff is only for airmen…

The biggest one to me was that airmen automatically get BAH at E4 or 3 years of service. I did not learn that until I was an E4 with 4 years of service in the army. If every recruit for every other branch knew that was AF policy, versus what every other branch does, then nobody would ever enlist for a branch other than the Air Force. I sure know I wouldn't have.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

A Bad Poster posted:

The biggest one to me was that airmen automatically get BAH at E4 or 3 years of service. I did not learn that until I was an E4 with 4 years of service in the army. If every recruit for every other branch knew that was AF policy, versus what every other branch does, then nobody would ever enlist for a branch other than the Air Force. I sure know I wouldn't have.

They should advertise that. I would have went airforce.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I kinda blame Marcinko and Ventura for being the guys who really began the "gee, maybe I can make a buck off of this" thing.

The handful of SEALs I met through my father back in the 80s (granted, I was ~4-9 during that period, depending on the year) were always quiet dudes. I remember only one "rear end in a top hat SEAL" story he told me about how a detachment was bunking with them on the Nashville and one of the skinny wirey guys started some poo poo and got laid out. They were in Barcelona on a port call and this enlisted SEAL comes back to the boat "all hosed up" (evidently the "New York Sex Club" was popular with sailors and was still there as of '91 since on a family trip there my father took us out of our way to *point it out*) and their quarters required them to go through engineering. Well, this guy runs into (again, relaying as it was told to me) "this big fuckoff huge Engineman" and starts talking poo poo. The SEAL in question was ~5'5". So the Engineman just *destroys* this SEAL.

The next day, the SEAL lieutenant, who'd been bunking adjacent with my father since he and his helo squadron detachment were in the bow and the SEALs were right behind, asks him what he he would do. My father tells him to go talk to the Engineman and ask if he wants to press charges even though the SEAL did gently caress all to him, and he should ask his own guy if *he* wants to press charges, to which the answer was "yeah, my guy ain't gonna press charges because he's too embarrassed he got his rear end kicked by an Engineman."

Fun side story about that cruise - the SEALs had a SEAFOX (https://www.warboats.org/seafox.htm) and one of their insertion/extraction submarines with them on the Nashville, and one day they decided to do maneuvers in the Barcelona harbor with it. Except for one small detail, they never got permission from the Spanish government to operate that submarine in their waters. Evidently it was a very minor international incident.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Counterpoint:

https://twitter.com/businessinsider/status/1460584233236316162?s=21

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code
Has Mark Wahlberg ever played a MARSOC guy? Checkmate. :smug:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Don't talk poo poo about marky mark. He got 20 confirmed kills in Vietnam

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Milo and POTUS posted:

lol

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bored As gently caress posted:

Believe it or not but MARSOC could fit that bill well. They're a mix between Rangers and SF, with a heavy focus on Foreign Internal Defense as their primary mission.

https://coffeeordie.com/raiders-vs-special-forces/

I don't know anyone in MARSOC, but from what I've read they have modeled their qualification course after the SF Q course.

As much as we lambast Marines for loving Crayola, I'd bet money that the average MARSOC operator is far and above more intelligent than the average SEAL.

Honest to god I agree with you. I think the Seals and it's members have made it such a toxic organization that attracts people like Dan BIlizen or probably a ton of guys who jack off to Captain Kyle Pillsbury Doughboy Rittenhouse. MARSOC has a longer history and wasn't founded by a felony and filled today with people who have the ethics of Spetnaz troopers in Afghanistan.

I want a return to spec ops guys who look like Rick Moraines, but are demo experts in Delta Force. The bearded roidhead needs to go (and honestly they applies to anyone like that in SF).

Wrong Theory posted:

Has Mark Wahlberg ever played a MARSOC guy? Checkmate. :smug:

Even more reasons to roll back the Seals. Every time I see his lovely rear end looking Wahlburgers in a store I remember that he partially blinded an Asian in a hate crime. He also tried paying him later, because felonies can't get a business license in CA or something similar.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Milo and POTUS posted:

Didn't he loving hate crime a Vietnamese guy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
You'll note I didn't say during the war