Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

repiv posted:

the pro+ has the start/select buttons bizarrely off-center and they fixed that on the pro2

sorry you can't unsee that now

God-loving-DAMMIT. I never noticed it before, and now it's distracting as hell.

*hurls Pro+ in the garbage*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

American McGay posted:

Yeah, I made it maybe 30 puzzles in before it started to truly hurt my brain, and the solving process was nowhere near as rewarding as something like Picross, so I gave up.

More power to the people who are good at it though, might be the most creative game I've ever seen, gonna be wild to see what custom puzzles people come up with.

There are certain people who’s brains are wired for a game like BIY. I’m not one of them, but I respect that the game exists for those people

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Dicey Dungeons is great and a steal at that price. Except gently caress the witch challenge (you know what I'm talking about).

Just completed Blasphemous and can really recommend that too. Great atmosphere, animation and music, real fun to play, never got lost, and creepy AF

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

i pushed through a decent chunk of baba but then got thrown into insane gamer rage as the game became, in my opiohnion and absolutely NOT salty at all, unfairly hard and cheap and so i quit. 10/10 game.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I enjoyed the logic parts of baba (changing the meaning of words and creating new interactions)much more than the puzzle aspects (move this block 3 tiles down and then 4 tiles left). I think I started to give up around when you start controlling multiple entities and have to move across conveyor belts and stuff.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Beastie posted:

1719 days no Pocket Card Jockey sequel what the hell

The biggest travesty in gaming.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I think I could probably get further than I did in Baba. Around world 7 or so. I really liked not skipping levels which tended to get me stuck for a bit. It's a great game. I should revisit it. Maybe it'll take my Picross Night Puzzle slot for a bit.

Speaking of Picross, I've got 2 pages to go of Mega Picross on S1. I sort of finally get them, but not really? It's weird. Anyway, the question is do I just continue with S2 or do I skip to Sega Picross? I don't know much about Sega, so there's no real attachment there aside from Streets of Rage, but the music sounds a lot better, and I like basic primary color pixel art to all the shading they do in S1. I have a lot of trouble guessing the image in S1 until it's colored, which is annoying. I figure Sega Picross would be like Mario Picross in that regard and you can actually guess the image before it's revealed (if I knew anything about Sega games).

However, I feel like it would be frustrating to get all the Quality of Life features in the latest game to only have them peeled back a bit in S2-through whatever.

It's a dumb minor problem but I'm just curious what you all think.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
A Youtuber I follow started playing Yoshi's Crafted World recently and it made me boot up my copy on the Switch again. I never did get all the flowers and stuff so I'm going back and trying to finish up 100%'ing it. The game remains great. Music still sucks though.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Guessing/knowing the image in Picross is a hindrance not a benefit, since it tempts you to make assumptions on where certain marks go as opposed to following the logical progression of the puzzle.

I basically never focus on what the picture "is" and really only notice it if it's an extremely symmetrical puzzle, and even then I try not to pay too close attention to it.

As for your question though, there's no reason not to jump around. The Sega collection will probably offer you a bit more variety than S2 would.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

yah it's nice to start to recognize the image near the end though. not to help you finish it, but so you see you're putting together a coherent visual thing rather than random noise. adds to the satisfaction in my imho.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Stux posted:

look at that subtle switch on the bottom to change what device you're connected to. the slight refinement of it. oh my god, it even has a profile switcher.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Got another shin megami television q for the group: when should I use incenses and sutras, the items that give permanent boosts to demons? I'm gonna be fusing my pals every few levels, which I'm assuming is both the correct way to play the game, and something that will nullify these buffs. Should I just hoard them until endgame?

I tried googling it, but it turns out that looking for information on recent releases on the internet will lead you to a bunch of content mill generated articles that contain no information, or dudes who can only communicate in long-form essays rife with unmarked spoilers.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Stickman posted:

If you're willing to open it up, the buttons are all compatible between models, and compatible with any SNES or SNES replacement buttons (same for membranes).

I love the Split Pad Pro, but it's disappointing that there's no attachment to use them wirelessly in console mode. Fortunately, that will soon be fixed! (E: no wireless, wired only - still useful?)

Wired or not, I'd slam-purchase it + a split pad if it also added gyro. (It does not add a gyro, I don't want to start a rumour that it does!)

The Postman posted:

baba is you update tomorrow! Level creator, bunch of new puzzles, and lots of new words and objects.

https://youtu.be/U4W_9rfjSus

That's cool! My partner and I got stuck embarassingly early and should probably look up spoilers, but either way more Baba is a great thing.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Got another shin megami television q for the group: when should I use incenses and sutras, the items that give permanent boosts to demons? I'm gonna be fusing my pals every few levels, which I'm assuming is both the correct way to play the game, and something that will nullify these buffs. Should I just hoard them until endgame?

I tried googling it, but it turns out that looking for information on recent releases on the internet will lead you to a bunch of content mill generated articles that contain no information, or dudes who can only communicate in long-form essays rife with unmarked spoilers.

yeah you should always be fusing, especially once your demons have gotten all their skills. i don't have specific tips for sutras and incenses other than just use them whenever you want, they probably won't make that much of a difference all things considered. i tend to hoard mine until the end of the game by which point i've forgotten about them and they end up collecting dust in my inventory.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

IIRC at least in some SMT games (I haven't played 5, so I can't say either way) incenses are full HP/MP heals in addition to the stat point, so it was suggested in those games to save them until you needed the heal.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Speaking of Picross, I've got 2 pages to go of Mega Picross on S1. I sort of finally get them, but not really? It's weird. Anyway, the question is do I just continue with S2 or do I skip to Sega Picross? I don't know much about Sega, so there's no real attachment there aside from Streets of Rage, but the music sounds a lot better, and I like basic primary color pixel art to all the shading they do in S1.

i'm a picross fiend and have played every puzzle in every picross s on the switch, and imo the sega version is my least favorite. the puzzles just feel a lot weaker and less fun, a ton of them felt like i spent more time clicking on and filling in squares than thinking about the puzzle.

i also don't have any nostalgia for any of it so that didn't help.

the rest of the s-series are all absolutely wonderful however!

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Commander Keene posted:

IIRC at least in some SMT games (I haven't played 5, so I can't say either way) incenses are full HP/MP heals in addition to the stat point, so it was suggested in those games to save them until you needed the heal.

They changed it up, in V they are just stat ups for demons (and now there is a separate type of item called balms for the MC) no heals this time around.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

Your Computer posted:

i'm a picross fiend and have played every puzzle in every picross s on the switch, and imo the sega version is my least favorite. the puzzles just feel a lot weaker and less fun, a ton of them felt like i spent more time clicking on and filling in squares than thinking about the puzzle.

I'm having trouble envisaging what you mean with the bolded part. (Don't worry, not trying to set up some kind of sick burn. I'm also a Picross fiend, and am just curious)

I've no Sega nostalgia, but I enjoyed the Sega picross well enough. Enough to do all the core puzzles, and most of the color/mega picross ones. Got a good 50 hours out of it at any rate. One thing I'll certainly say for the Sega picross is that it is *notably* easier that the core S games.

As you say, the S games are rad. And while the earlier games have less variants (and so technically less content) than the later games, I'm all about the core puzzles, and they are consistenly strong, and present in glorious abundance.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

magimix posted:

I'm having trouble envisaging what you mean with the bolded part. (Don't worry, not trying to set up some kind of sick burn. I'm also a Picross fiend, and am just curious)
yeah no i had a hard time phrasing that

what i mean is that the puzzles are all very heavy on filled-in squares in the final pictures so once you start filling them in you're just kinda going through the motions and filling, filling, filling because filling in one line makes it obvious where you need to fill in the next.

it's hard to put into words without using an example, but i think my favorite puzzles are the ones where you spend a lot of time thinking of where you can place the next square, only to place it and go "well.... how on earth does that help me figure out where to go from here"

e: i guess that's a lot of words to say they are kinda easy and unsatisfying lol

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Nov 17, 2021

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!

Your Computer posted:

e: i guess that's a lot of words to say they are kinda easy and unsatisfying lol

Another Picross fiend checking in, I’ve played them all including the weird anime ones and the indie ones. I agree that Sega Picross just isn’t satisfying, and I think that’s because the puzzles are just much easier than the others. Usually by about page 5 or 6 I have to start slowing down and not just mindlessly filling out the grid, but with this one, it was as you said the whole way - even the very last puzzles were really no challenge.

Sega Picross would probably be a great introduction to the series for someone who’s never played before, but as a big fan it was a let down. S5 was the peak IMO in terms of balance and difficulty.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Your Computer posted:

yeah no i had a hard time phrasing that

what i mean is that the puzzles are all very heavy on filled-in squares in the final pictures so once you start filling them in you're just kinda going through the motions and filling, filling, filling because filling in one line makes it obvious where you need to fill in the next.

it's hard to put into words without using an example, but i think my favorite puzzles are the ones where you spend a lot of time thinking of where you can place the next square, only to place it and go "well.... how on earth does that help me figure out where to go from here"

I get what youre trying to convey and am 100% the same way. I find this happens more for me with mega-picross over regular, which is probably a reason i find those puzzles more satisfying

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Devorum posted:

God-loving-DAMMIT. I never noticed it before, and now it's distracting as hell.

*hurls Pro+ in the garbage*
What's funny is I knew the Pro+ buttons were off-center but it never quite clicked that the Pro 2 centered them. There's a few minor alterations to the design but that particular aspect didn't jump out at me.

I'm probably a 70/30 split on Pro+/Pro 2 usage and the Start/Select position being slightly different hasn't thrown off my muscle memory at all. In contrast, I can never find the +/- buttons on the Pro Controller because they're not where I expect them to be anymore.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

repiv posted:

the pro+ has the start/select buttons bizarrely off-center

That's because it's based on the SNES controller.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
why is the Pro controller's dpad so bad drat

using the joycons slid into their little controller shell feels better to me when you need a dpad

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Crossposting from the RPG thread.

Finally stopped screwing around and fought the first boss in SMTV. Took me two tries, but it felt good learning his weaknesses and fusing up some demons to turbo-murder him. I'm loving this game, the demons all seem so vibrant and alive.

I also discovered "fusion accidents" when I tried to make an Angel for healing at Level 10 and ended up with a Level 15 Fortuna Megami.

Now I'm just doing subquests and meeting cool demons before heading to the next main objective.

What Miracles should I be focusing on? So far I've just been increasing my demon capacity and skill slots...are the specific power increases worth the cost? I'm assuming the Magatsushi builders (and the one that lets you heal when the bar is full) are top priority?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Really enjoying SMTV but the framerate is rough. Any word on them releasing a patch to improve handheld performance? If so I might shelve it for a while to wait.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Devorum posted:

Crossposting from the RPG thread.

Finally stopped screwing around and fought the first boss in SMTV. Took me two tries, but it felt good learning his weaknesses and fusing up some demons to turbo-murder him. I'm loving this game, the demons all seem so vibrant and alive.

I also discovered "fusion accidents" when I tried to make an Angel for healing at Level 10 and ended up with a Level 15 Fortuna Megami.

Now I'm just doing subquests and meeting cool demons before heading to the next main objective.

What Miracles should I be focusing on? So far I've just been increasing my demon capacity and skill slots...are the specific power increases worth the cost? I'm assuming the Magatsushi builders (and the one that lets you heal when the bar is full) are top priority?

Any time you get skill slots it's a top priority. The one that gives you demons bonus XP when fused (based on the XP the demon was carrying at the time) makes many demons viable immediately after being fused, since there's quite a few that need a level or so to get their best moves.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

I loved BIY because every single level was essentially a window into an entirely different puzzle game, it was just constantly mind-blowing, which I found super super satisfying. Yeah, I'd get to a point where it had melted my brain into slag and I couldn't make any more progress, but then I'd come back in a week and start chipping away again.

BIY probably holds the clear title for "best game I never finished."

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

b_d posted:

yah it's nice to start to recognize the image near the end though. not to help you finish it, but so you see you're putting together a coherent visual thing rather than random noise. adds to the satisfaction in my imho.

It's my favorite thing. I love how my partner will peek over my shoulder and guess what it is. She gets very happy when she's right, but it didn't happen a lot with S1.

magimix posted:

I've no Sega nostalgia, but I enjoyed the Sega picross well enough. Enough to do all the core puzzles, and most of the color/mega picross ones. Got a good 50 hours out of it at any rate. One thing I'll certainly say for the Sega picross is that it is *notably* easier that the core S games.

As you say, the S games are rad. And while the earlier games have less variants (and so technically less content) than the later games, I'm all about the core puzzles, and they are consistenly strong, and present in glorious abundance.

Easy... isn't bad. I do these as I fall asleep so it's nice to do something a bit rote. And if anything I would definitely hate to finish with an easy game if I do the others. I think I'll get Sega first then pick up 2 afterwards. I do love Picross. I adore Picross 3D. Let's get that back!

Thanks for the advice!

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

just use them and get the miracle that passes along some stats in fusion

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

100YrsofAttitude posted:

It's my favorite thing. I love how my partner will peek over my shoulder and guess what it is. She gets very happy when she's right, but it didn't happen a lot with S1.

Easy... isn't bad. I do these as I fall asleep so it's nice to do something a bit rote. And if anything I would definitely hate to finish with an easy game if I do the others. I think I'll get Sega first then pick up 2 afterwards. I do love Picross. I adore Picross 3D. Let's get that back!

Thanks for the advice!

Another game with picross goodness I might suggest is "Murder by Numbers". It is a genre mash-up, being a visual novel, plus picross gameplay. By virtue of being more about its narrative, it also leans on the less-hard side of the puzzling, but is still a fun time. At the least, I put a good 45 hours into it, saw credits, and would totally play a 'Murder by Numbers 2: Murder Harder'.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Murder by Numbers annoyed me because some picross puzzles were pixel hunts to find the puzzles, and each chapter you got scored and unlocked more puzzles based on your score. One chapter I apparently missed doing one so it also didnt unlock all the extra puzzles for me, and the only way to unlock it would be to play through the whole chapter again, so I just stopped at that point.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!
The puzzles in Murder by Numbers were flat out bad - there were a couple that had two possible solutions, that fit all the clues, but the game would only accept one. This is a cardinal sin of puzzle games. Also I thought the plot was not very good either, the interesting plot thread is sorted out almost offscreen in the third case in a very anticlimactic way, and the larger mystery was similarly underwhelming. It’s a shame since the concept had a lot of promise, just the execution was really bad.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

the plot is funny because there's not really any mystery or deduction, you basically stumble upon glaring clues that the perpetrators left for no reason. it's fun to follow along though.

i don't remember having trouble finding any puzzles, i didn't miss any and i didn't try especially hard to hunt them down.

more importantly though, the music is great. i believe it's the phoenix wright composer and you get extremely sick tunes while solving puzzles.

~

for another picross game though i highly recommend piczle cross adventure. you basically go around on an overworld solving puzzles to restore things like soulblazer. and use these things to access new areas and puzzles. there ARE silly hidden puzzles in this one but you can't "miss" anything, you never lose access to anywhere.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
The OST for Murder by Numbers is fantastic. Same guy that did some (all?) of the Ace Attorney soundtracks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpO0e9QlGPk

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

b_d posted:

i don't remember having trouble finding any puzzles, i didn't miss any and i didn't try especially hard to hunt them down.

While I have a *very* different opinion of the game than The Pirate Captain, it is the case that there is a more-easily missable puzzle. In Chapter 3, as I recall. Didn't run into that myself either, but it for sure was a thing (based on commentary I've seen). A shame. But for my own part, while I certainly would have been annoyed had that happened to me, I don't think it would have spoiled the game overall.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Read After Burning posted:

The OST for Murder by Numbers is fantastic. Same guy that did some (all?) of the Ace Attorney soundtracks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpO0e9QlGPk

I will always stan Becky's theme music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RayMtdOX5Y

It's just a shame she disappears after the second case.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I understand why the feature exists, and I understand why it's probably not possible to do what I'm about to ask. However. Is there a way to prevent the Switch from moving the inserted game to the first (or second if playing a digital game) slot on the Home screen without taking the cart out?

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Lastdancer fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Dec 22, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

magimix posted:

While I have a *very* different opinion of the game than The Pirate Captain, it is the case that there is a more-easily missable puzzle. In Chapter 3, as I recall. Didn't run into that myself either, but it for sure was a thing (based on commentary I've seen). A shame. But for my own part, while I certainly would have been annoyed had that happened to me, I don't think it would have spoiled the game overall.

huh, yeah that would suck. i don't remember too well since i played it when it was new. was there some kind of indicator of whether you had unfinished stuff left? or like a logbook or something? i just have no memory of being concerned about missing stuff before finishing a chapter, and i definitely was going for 100%.