Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
hard to get real worked up bout the rona no more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I was gonna say Blowback Season 3 should be the Vietnam War, but 60s Africa is real good too.

They loving murdered Lumumba.

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

in a previous life i did the consulting poo poo

there are two types of consultants, kids from good universities with no idea what the gently caress they're doing with their lives, and then there's the born mercenaries. absolutely nothing behind the eyes when they talk to you. i have worked with mayors pete in the past, and they are nice and productive as long as you do not, under any circumstances, try to engage them in a social context.

the question I have is what the gently caress lead him to become Mayor of South Bend, because most of these people are quietly shuffled into a mid-level office at Moloch Incorporated by the time they realize there's no partnership in their future. the route from McKinsey to Notre Dame Rape Coverup Coordinator is a bit of a headscratcher

As I recall, Pete Paul Montgomery's congressional district when he was growing up was solid Democratic from like the mid-70s... until Gingrich revolution in 94, got gerrymandered to oblivion when literally Mike Pence was its Rep in early 2000s, and actually went back to Democrats from 2006-2012... probably grew up expecting to be a Mayor->Congressman, but that district got sliced up in 2013 and his congressional aspirations with it (assuming).

Also same, and every drat petty city and township in this garbage state (Ohio) has 2-4 mayors pete lording over nuggets of power

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Listened to the latest chapo and Pete absolutely is a lizard person.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

im going to listen to the latest chapo tomorrow afternoon while i am working out

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Smythe posted:

hard to get real worked up bout the rona no more

you are history's greatest monster

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

I was gonna say Blowback Season 3 should be the Vietnam War, but 60s Africa is real good too.

Can't believe they got Hammarskjöld too

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

MonsieurChoc posted:

It's so incredibly sad thinking about what Africa could have been like under the influence of people like Lumumba and Nkrumah if they were allowed to continue ruling.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Space Camp fuckup posted:

you are history's greatest monster

arizona, what else is new

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

MonsieurChoc posted:

Blowback Season 3 should be Korean and Vietnam war, really anything about post WWII adventures in imperialism.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

AnimeIsTrash posted:

It's so incredibly sad thinking about what Africa could have been like under the influence of people like Lumumba and Nkrumah if they were allowed to continue ruling.

imagination must be suppressed!!!

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Cloks posted:

Blowback Season 3 should be Korean and Vietnam war, really anything about post WWII adventures in imperialism.

korean war would be perfect. seasons 1-2 were very relevant to modern poo poo the US is still doing and all the details would be very revealing imo

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Maximo Roboto posted:

Can't believe they got Hammarskjöld too

Oh yeah I saw that documentary recently. Incredible stuff.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

100% chance felix read that old uk politoon thread

https://www.instagram.com/p/CWWQgVtjRQ4/

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
They already made an off-handed comment during season 2 that Gladio was "another season". Its a topic that is virtually unknown inside the US itself and could benefit from a podcast with the production values of Blowback breaking it down.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
I'd like a blowback series on China and the west's fuckery but all these ideas have been good so hopefully they just go with the topic that sparks the most joy

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I hope Blowback continues until they die in mysterious circumstances totally not assassinated by the CIA.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

dead while getting some havana sin dome

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

i say swears online posted:

dead while getting some havana sin dome

*stav voice* nice.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

AnEdgelord posted:

They already made an off-handed comment during season 2 that Gladio was "another season". Its a topic that is virtually unknown inside the US itself and could benefit from a podcast with the production values of Blowback breaking it down.
eh, gladio has become almost an obnoxious internet meme at this point. i feel it's been covered well enough in the likes of Ghost Stories for End of the World, Death is Just Around the Corner, and Trueanon. and it's not like there's a zillion of hard concrete information to roll out about it that more speculatory-based pods have done about as good as a job.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

i more feel like with gladio that there isn't much definitive and trustworthy material on it like there is with iraq and cuba, there's only like a few books on it right? or is there more academic stuff out there as well

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Turns out Blowback season 3 is literally the War Nerd interviews with Annibale about the Years of Lead

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

It’s always been weird to me how even those casually on the left talk about may 68 but people almost never talk about the years of lead, considering the latter was much more focused and threatening.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

i more feel like with gladio that there isn't much definitive and trustworthy material on it like there is with iraq and cuba, there's only like a few books on it right? or is there more academic stuff out there as well
yeah that's more what i was going with, is while there's good stuff about it, and much of it probably true, it's not entirely solid and for obvious reasons going to be conjecture. and there never will be much else given a lot of the high honchos involved are dead and any documents have long been "misplaced"

doesn't really fit the blowback meticulous research and backed-up style of narrative

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

TheSlutPit posted:

It’s always been weird to me how even those casually on the left talk about may 68 but people almost never talk about the years of lead, considering the latter was much more focused and threatening.

i hear years of lead far more than may 68

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Have any podcasts looked at Turkish politics in the cold war. It seems like people say Gladio and then start talking about Italy and Belgium. Which did have poo poo go down, but Turkey is the NATO country with multiple open military coups and is where the term Deep State emerges from.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Atrocious Joe posted:

Turns out Blowback season 3 is literally the War Nerd interviews with Annibale about the Years of Lead

If they clean up the audio I'm 100% behind it

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

StashAugustine posted:

If they clean up the audio I'm 100% behind it

yeah people like annibale but my hearing sucks so i've never been able to enjoy his eps

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

Xaris posted:

i hear years of lead far more than may 68

Interesting. Maybe it was just me growing up in a college town where the left considered 68 a model of what student protests/direct action could lead to.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

TheSlutPit posted:

Interesting. Maybe it was just me growing up in a college town where the left considered 68 a model of what student protests/direct action could lead to.

that event was always much more in the popular consciousness. maybe because it was a mass movement and the years of lead or red army faction in germany were closer to the weathermen than a mass politic

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
I look forward to another hundred episodes of mike duncan missing the point of the russian revolution, brought to me by harry’s

selec
Sep 6, 2003

MonsieurChoc posted:

the alliance of western governments propping up apartheid SA would be good too

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

selec posted:

the alliance of western governments propping up apartheid SA would be good too

would listen to the hell out of a 70s-80s south africa series

biafra needs a look but it's probably too niche for blowback

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Xaris posted:

so was like 99% of america. there's a massive disconnect between Online and irl. not saying it's right or wrong, nor a moral judgement, but you go Online and covid is breaking down america and everyone is dying left n right, and then you go offline and everyone is just hanging out at bars and parks n stuff, and traffic is 10x worse than before, and no one even thinks about it other than wearing cloth masks to go do grocery shopping bc its a state requirement.

mostly just everything is so stupid that everyone gave up
765k deaths is 0.2% of the US population. even quadruple that (with under reporting) is still not even 1%. and thats not taking into account how spread out the population is on the landmass, and how disconnected americans have become socially. how can you expect anyone to care about a disease that has likely not affected anyone they care about in any serious way? peoples lived experience trumps the constant doom-saying in the media, especially in the media that they already dont care for. i personally dont know anyone who was diagnosed with covid, though naturally who i fraternize with are left leaning

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Cloks posted:

I'm not sure. Full disclosure, I'm only half way through their first season, so take my next paragraph with a grain of salt, but, here's my take.

I think there's value in discussing their work through the lense of comparative politics, further disclosure, this is a topic I'm studying in my very very late in life higher education. What I have found so compelling about their exploration of the iraq war are the cultural factors, which has been broadly abandoned ever since Oscar Lewis' seminal work "culture of poverty" broke the entire school of thought and sent it into the nether zone for like 50 years or whatever. The tiger economies, of which SK, TW, and JP are a part, are, broadly speaking, more interestingly analyzed as structural phenomena. Vietnam was defended by the capitalist world system in order to provide a "backyard" for the tiger economies. They needed someone to exploit for labor in order to participate in the invitation industrialization, basically, and thats why we fought that awful war, at the behest (and as the leader of) the capitalist world system. Further, the only reason they were elevated is due to the shocking (and incredible) work of Mao, who took China off the capitalist table. In the postwar period, we were gearing up to add china to global capitalism, but, uh, drat. So we brought up a collective of JP, TW, and SK in their absence. Now, while I don't doubt that there are incredible stories, and I would love to hear it, I am unsure that the issue is able to be broken down piecemeal enough to be compelling in their format.

I consider Blowback S1 to be more akin to a living room play, with a lot of interpersonal drama playing out between intimately connected actors. The tigers, Vietnam included, are more akin to a marvel movie, huge sprawling expanses and long-threaded, convoluted plotlines.

Just my 2c

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Judakel posted:

arizona, what else is new

im from los angeles bro. and i live there to this day. one single 101 exit from my family estate. :thanks:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
it’s not as funny as a core Chapo being anti vax but Virgil never got vaccinated and he got COVID in March or February

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost
Anyone in here listen to It's Not Just In Your Head? (commie mental health pod) I recommended it to a psychologist friend of mine and was wondering if anyone had episode recommendations I could send him. No specific topic, just something that's a good introduction to their subject matter. I've only listened to a few eps, starting from the beginning.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Bust Rodd posted:

it’s not as funny as a core Chapo being anti vax but Virgil never got vaccinated and he got COVID in March or February

did he talk about this on bad faith or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
no it was all over Twitter though. that was back when Virgil had friends and went to events.