Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
This is like the Keynesian beauty contest of pyramid schemes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
I found a new dumb crypto thing that isn't an NFT. Behold: The Constitution DAO. Buy the US constitution - on the blockchain !! *

* not actually on the blockchain, but send us ETH anyway

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Can you take an address pointing to a blockchain entry and make *that* an NFT?

The blockchain itself as an NFT, on the blockchain.

Or what about NFTs that just point the the previous NFT?

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

zedprime posted:

Yup, sure, when I think competent, sustainable business practices I think public video game companies.

Hmm, just hearing now Yves has set down his glass of Champaign to explain actually NFTs are cool and good.

The public game companies are loving circuses, why give them any benefit of the doubt?

I give it a month tops before a Ubicoin dupe glitch is found.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

syntaxfunction posted:

Can you take an address pointing to a blockchain entry and make *that* an NFT?

The blockchain itself as an NFT, on the blockchain.

Or what about NFTs that just point the the previous NFT?

Nobody knows and nobody will ever find out cuz it’s not like what it points at matters to anyone trading in them

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Random Stranger posted:

I'm going to guess that there's about $10 million in actual tether reserves. My thinking is they probably have something so they can point to it, but it was probably more than that, like in the $50 million range, but that cash has been looted.

I know I'm being optimistic in suggesting that there's any reserves at all...

I doubt it. If you're making up 48 billion dollars in fake money, it's probably not that hard to get a soft billion by being first to market against future bag holders.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
everyone clowns on bitcoin bros. goons, furries, everyone. and thats because nobody likes a buttcoin

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Let's all get rich short selling the future of humanity.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

I feel like that's where we're at already, have you not been investing in luxury electric car companies?

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

Prurient Squid posted:

Let's all get rich short selling the future of humanity.
:capitalism:

drk
Jan 16, 2005
i can't twitter good so I cant seem to link this directly, but here an actual copyright lawyer explains why NFT "contracts" really aren't, using the BAYC/MAYC terms as an example

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

There are two parts, one that got sort of elided: first, the NFT is superfluous because all the actual terms are recorded elsewhere. The NFT isn't the contract, so as the third guy on the reply chain mentions, "what's the point?" The second is that the actual contract was drafted by idiots.

Combined, and you couldn't create a bigger legal mess if you purposefully designed it.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1460832641352040449?s=20
https://twitter.com/by_justin/status/1460841094971756545?s=20

Vandar fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Nov 17, 2021

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

gently caress everything about this.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

This is why we need the Dictatorship of the Proletariat.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Key Arena became Climate Pledge arena. Staples Center became Crypto Center. First law of alchemy, equivalent exchange.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

gently caress beaten.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Crypto Center is gonna be eternally famous, like if it was named the Ford Edsel Court. It's gonna be huuuuuge.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

drk posted:

i can't twitter good so I cant seem to link this directly, but here an actual copyright lawyer explains why NFT "contracts" really aren't, using the BAYC/MAYC terms as an example

Sure our monkey machine is DEFINITELY multimillion dollar business with licensing potential just dont mind that our one page terms and conditions were drafted by a child. Hello innovation!!!

upsidedown
Dec 30, 2008

https://twitter.com/aardvarsk/status/1460864270090964994

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
welcome one and all to the butt coin arena, also known as my rear end hole

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

the dumbest timeline :psyduck:

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Enron had a stadium named after it as well.

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-11-17/perth-heat-to-offer-to-pay-players-in-bitcoin/100627522

lol

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Welcome to my crypto activation space.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
I don't see how anyone investing in NFTs can't see that a massive crash is inevitable. They are built on unstable crypto currency, legal grey areas and a complete lack of transparency. If you aren't a shark with some scheme to make a quick buck what the gently caress are you doing messing about with this stuff.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Everyone is either in denial or counting on being able to get out before the bubble pops.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

This is the same demographic that "invests" in literal ponzi schemes labeled as such.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

ultrafilter posted:

Everyone is either in denial or counting on being able to get out before the bubble pops.

You said “in denial” twice

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

I understand that those that are barely scraping by might need to resort to this when first getting an apartment, but I don't think they brag about it. Plus its coiners so its okay to point and laugh.

https://twitter.com/CoinersTakingLs/status/1460838711885635588

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

drk posted:

"It's innovative that lawyers are more confused about the function of this legal document, than people who don't know or decide law are" is such a pure distillation of crypto guy energy

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

syntaxfunction posted:

Crypto Center is gonna be eternally famous, like if it was named the Ford Edsel Court. It's gonna be huuuuuge.

You mean like Enron Field?

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

the Magic also play at the Amway Center, and Herbalife is the shirt sponsor of LA's soccer team

so yeah the dumb poo poo for rubes industry has been all over sports for a while lmao

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

If Crypto.com paid for, say, a 10 year naming deal but they go bankrupt in 2 years, can Staples Center get named something else or is it stuck as Crypto.com Center for 8 more years?

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
Whoever the goon was that pointed out that, in theory, you could have two NFTs pointed at the same target URL, you fuckin’ nailed it my friend.

https://twitter.com/NFTtheft/status/1460688714129035270?s=20

To summarize the article:

1) Some dipshit coiner(s) makes another dumb ape “project” (baby ape no I’m not kidding)for money laundering purposes.

2) 3 days later, another scammer buys another NFT project, gives it an identical “baby ape” name and points the Opensea url to the same loving image. Opensea just takes the money and runs with it without a care.

3) idiot coiners see that the baby apes are a great pyramid scheme / money laundering target investment because coiners are dumb as gently caress, however, some coiners start buying into the “fake” baby apes instead of the real deal. Due to the urls pointing at the same target and the images being identical it ends up being hard to tell who is the real deal

4) scammers make off with loads of etherium from the other scammers

Holy gently caress, this is the dumbest thing.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Gutcruncher posted:

If Crypto.com paid for, say, a 10 year naming deal but they go bankrupt in 2 years, can Staples Center get named something else or is it stuck as Crypto.com Center for 8 more years?

In Enron's case the field got renamed Astro's field for a bit before another company stepped in.

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

Gutcruncher posted:

IIRC Sports Authority had the naming deal for the Broncos stadium and it was called Sports Authority Field for some time after they went bust

So, to answer your question, the arena will be renamed Bored Ape Pavilion in a few years

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Gutcruncher posted:

Based on what happened last time, they'll be able to end the naming rights early for pennies on the dollar.

quote:

The ballpark was first named "Enron Field" on April 7, 2000, with naming rights sold to the Houston energy and financial trading company in a 30-year, $100 million deal. However, Astros management faced a public relations problem when the energy corporation went bankrupt in 2001 due to a financial scandal. Quickly wanting to distance themselves from Enron, Astros ownership asked to prematurely end naming rights, but Enron refused.[41] On February 5, 2002, Astros ownership filed a motion with the court overseeing the company's bankruptcy to force Enron to make an immediate decision on the matter. By February 27, the two entities agreed to end the naming rights, and settled with the Astros paying $2.1 million to Enron. Without a naming rights agreement in place, the ballpark became officially known as "Astros Field".[42]

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Gutcruncher posted:

A lot of sports arenas have been renamed when their naming sponsor suddenly went bankrupt. Almost as if paying for you name on a stadium is a bad idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Random Stranger posted:

A lot of sports arenas have been renamed when their naming sponsor suddenly went bankrupt. Almost as if paying for you name on a stadium is a bad idea.

The Pittsburgh Penguins’ “Consol Arena” was named after a coal company that went bust after a few years, which is still loving hilarious. Imagine being in a coal company and thinking not only that coal will go on forever but that you’ve got money to burn strapping your name on an arena. Fools and their money, etc. etc.