Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

she also refuses to hear talk of divorce, so i'm sure things will turn out just fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Well of course, Divorce is the name he wants for the kid

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down

Bruceski posted:

This is why I'm glad my family's naming tradition is just to put a y in there somewhere that fits. And by tradition I mean "Mervyn and Gladys decided it'd be cute a hundred years ago, and nobody's disagreed yet. No biggie." Sometimes it's first name, sometimes middle. Sometimes it's the more common spelling, sometimes less but still doesn't stand out. Just a bit of a family easter egg.

Strong Utah energy

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
It does make me wonder, if the mom is out of it from pain meds after labor, and the dad were to write down the name he wants, could she contest/have the hospital undo it? or would she have to tell the nurses first so the admin is aware?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Cowslips Warren posted:

It does make me wonder, if the mom is out of it from pain meds after labor, and the dad were to write down the name he wants, could she contest/have the hospital undo it? or would she have to tell the nurses first so the admin is aware?

She should fill out the paperwork beforehand. Otherwise, well, that's how Major Major got his name.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Mx. posted:

My husband (31M) of 5 years said he would leave me if I (29F) don’t carry on his family naming tradition (that he previously said he did not want to participate in) for our baby. I don’t want him to do that but I also don’t want to name my potential son an awful name. What should I do?

There was a post a while back where the wife refused to partake in her husband's family's tradition of naming every firstborn son of a generation Gaylord. Unfortunately it turned out to be fake.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
My mom's side apparently had a tradition of naming the firstborn son with the mother's maiden name. My mom and dad both swore this was never an option for me, but it haunts me a little.
Mom's maiden name and dad's last name were both regular English words that would have combined to make my life really unfun in school.
Think like Ms Witnessed married Mr Believer.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Isn't it a man's name either way? Either her husband's or her father's.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
I have my mom's maiden name for my middle name. It's a fun party trick because the name is a common word people use all the time

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Seth Pecksniff posted:

I have my mom's maiden name for my middle name. It's a fun party trick because the name is a common word people use all the time

Nice to meet you, Ms. Horngus

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Seth Pecksniff posted:

I love the tiny triangle of land that's near the top of the river but belongs to France because you cannot, under any circumstance, cede that land to Belgium because it's strategically vital

Wasn't that land or one like it the inspiration for some diplomatic shenanigans in Cryptonomicon or REAMDE, one of Stephenson's books?

Gnossiennes posted:

same, it's reason #1 i'll take a diet coke/coke zero over a regular coke any day, it makes my teeth and tongue feel just disgustingly fuzzy. even juice or aguas frescas, despite being about the same level of sugar, don't leave near as much of a gross film imo
Whoever the Coke scientist is -- I know you said the blind study showed people couldn't tell a difference in taste, but what about mouth feel? Is it in our heads?

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

spacetoaster posted:

So only men can have their own last names?

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3
The site won't let me post it as an embedded image or attachment but this bridezilla post is very funny.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Invisible Clergy posted:

The site won't let me post it as an embedded image or attachment but this bridezilla post is very funny.

Google asks me to log in when I click it, which is probably why.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

Whoever the Coke scientist is -- I know you said the blind study showed people couldn't tell a difference in taste, but what about mouth feel? Is it in our heads?

I am not a doctor or food scientist but the descriptions of mouth feeling fuzzy or filmy sounds like how my sister used to describe bananas before she found out she has a mild banana allergy. Maybe worth checking out.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Gadzuko posted:

I am not a doctor or food scientist but the descriptions of mouth feeling fuzzy or filmy sounds like how my sister used to describe bananas before she found out she has a mild banana allergy. Maybe worth checking out.

I don't drink cane sugar sodas enough to be sure if there's a difference, but normal US coke does have that teeth-clinging people have mentioned. It's an extremely common criticism of HFCS soda, but I wonder how real the effect is?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Invisible Clergy posted:

Oh, of course this reasonable out isn't at play and her husband is just being a huge piece of poo poo for literally no reason at all. I don't know what I expected. Carry on.

It's just ego.

Surprised he isn't trying to call the kid Pnurtis the Fourth the Second to make really sure it's all about him.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Grandmother's maiden name here, which is also an uncommon masculine given name (I am not a dude). Basically unguessable, extremely party-tricky.

emptyspace
Oct 21, 2008
My family has a weird thing where the males go by their middle names. Well, did, when they were alive. Both grandfathers, great uncle, uncle, all went by middle names. They even called me by my middle name until I said I didn't like it when I was 5. I wonder if that's a regional or generational thing, and how common it is. My dad and his brothers always went by first names.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Quackles posted:

Google asks me to log in when I click it, which is probably why.

That's weird. I'll just do it manually. I was gonna do an image because the meat was in a couple of comments:

What's the best way to disassemble raspberries?

op posted:

Like this, but down to the individual seeds: https://i.imgur.com/Z0c6ZKE.jpg

I've been pulling them apart with tweezers and it's really time consuming. I have about 10 pounds to get through this weekend.

commenter posted:

I am beyond curious as to why you need to do this - please explain!

op posted:

It is a really, really stupid reason. Suffice it to say that someone is willing to pay our venue a lot of money to do it.

commenter posted:

Vegan caviar looking thing?

op posted:

No, that would actually be less stupid. I didn't want to share this because it's going to derail me getting some actual technique suggestions with a million follow-up questions, but since you all are too curious: It's a bridezilla "artist's" amazing idea for confetti.

To preempt the inevitable questions:

Yes, we have attempted to convince her that there are other forms of biodegradable confetti that would be less expensive and just as harmless.

We have done tests with the bride and only completely disassembled raspberries "float through the air" in the manner she wants. Any chunks ruin the effect.

No, she is not worried about her dress. In fact, she considers the red stains a feature.

Besides "looking amazing," she wants her wedding to "feed the local animals" (our venue is in the woods). Yes, we have confirmed that the "local animals" eat raspberries. She has actually paid for an environmental study to ensure no lasting impact. Yes, we are worried that the animals are going to keep coming back to us for food. The environmental firm she hired said that due to the nature of the raspberries, it won't create lasting dependency as long as we otherwise clear all food scraps from the venue (we always do).

The "confetti" will be hand tossed using scoops to protect the guests hands. We will have the scoops pre-loaded so the guests aren't mashing a big bucket of raspberries.

Yes, she is absolutely 100% certain this is what she wants. No, I won't tell you what she's paying us. Yes, it is worth it even if I have to hire 20 temps to help us pull the damned things apart. But we need better technique we can train them with first because what we're doing now is slow and is mashing the seeds a little.

Yes, we already tried freezing them. Didn't really help and they were mushy when they thawed.

No, the wedding is not this weekend. The 10 pounds we're doing this weekend are for the first rehearsal. Depending upon how that goes, we'll either be doing another 10 pounds in a few weeks, or possibly much more.

FML

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS

AmiYumi posted:

I decided “yeah, not reading that” from the title and kept feeling more and more vindicated as I scrolled, and scrolled

…and scrolled :magical:
To each their own. I read the entire post (it’s entertaining like a car pile up on the highway and goes well with popcorn) but two lines of soda chat will make my eyes glaze over and I can’t force myself to read it.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Invisible Clergy posted:

That's weird. I'll just do it manually. I was gonna do an image because the meat was in a couple of comments:

I dont believe anyone would ever hire a consulting firm to do an impact report for a wedding

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Invisible Clergy posted:

before the ceremony even starts it's gonna get damp, it's gonna clump together, and it's going to get moldy

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I've known several parents who name their kids then call them by their middle name. It always perplexed me. If you wanted to call them that why didn't you make it their first name?

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I've known several parents who name their kids then call them by their middle name. It always perplexed me. If you wanted to call them that why didn't you make it their first name?

gotta keep em on their toes

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Fishing for inheritance?

HazCat
May 4, 2009

titty_baby_ posted:

I dont believe anyone would ever hire a consulting firm to do an impact report for a wedding

I can absolutely believe that someone with more money than sense would do it if the alternative was not getting their own way.

I'm assuming the venue was originally fishing for excuses to say no without having to be the bad guy, but when the bridzilla's response to 'you'd have to pay a shitton of money to a third party for a bullshit test' was 'yes, that's fine' someone's eyes turned into dollar signs.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

As interesting a plan as this is, don't bats bring risks of rabies and coronavirus?

(I'm completely serious!)

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

kimbo305 posted:

Yeah, it's been a long time since I was at Coke but mouthfeel is part of overall flavor and there wasn't a difference in any part.

There's a lot that goes into sensory effects and unless you're tasting things blinded with all other variables the same, there will be things that affect the outcome. Beverage container, carbonation level, temperature, all kinds of factors. These affect taste and mouthfeel.

Also, HFCS in carbonated soft drinks is what's known as HFCS-55, 55% fructose and 45% glucose, and has essentially the same sucrose equivalence as sucrose / cane sugar.

In the end though, drink what you like, and sensory perception is *extremely* personal and consumers are very frustrating to deal with as a product developer. 😉

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

Das Boo posted:

A million pages back, but I've always hated Coke for the film it leaves in my mouth. Never had an explanation for it and I'm surprised more people don't notice/hate it, but I feel vindicated.

Thank you.

Coke always makes my teeth feel absolutely filthy, instantly. Lots of other sodas do this (so I don’t drink soda on the reg), but coke is the worst.

E: I live in New Zealand so I don’t think it’s a HCFS thing. My theory is that it’s the phosphoric acid content. I made a trial batch of a chocolate phosphate soda at work at one point and discovered a distinctly cola-shaped bump in our food safety regulations, in that only cola drinks are allowed to have phosphoric acid as an additive.

Shithouse Dave fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Nov 17, 2021

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

spacetoaster posted:

I consider my birth name to be my last name, because I was born with it. That it's my father's name instead of my mother's doesn't factor into it. It would probably be a different story if I didn't get along with him. My husband's name still feels like it's not my actual last name.

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

Invisible Clergy posted:

Freeze dried raspberries would solve this.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Quackles posted:

As interesting a plan as this is, don't bats bring risks of rabies and coronavirus?

Just don't lick, eat, suck on, or gently caress the bats???

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Biplane posted:

wait, so what is the bat roost for then?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Biplane posted:

buddy,

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Quackles posted:

There are only a couple of cases of rabies per year in the US, usually from bats, but you're basically worrying about a lightning strike at that point. With the caveat that if you come into close contact with a bat, or get a bat anywhere in your house, you should get a rabies vaccine because rabies is 100% fatal if you do get it and it can be hard to tell if you've been bitten. You could also just get the vax in advance and not worry about it. I would still consider a bat house a net public health benefit because they eat mosquitoes and other bugs that transmit disease, especially if you're in a tropical climate.

Pretty sure there are 0 confirmed cases of bats transmitting COVID to humans, you're far more likely to catch it from the HOA board than from the bats at either rate.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Shithouse Dave posted:

Freeze dried raspberries would solve this.

Someone suggests this in the comments, but bridezilla rejects it because they will not cascade through the air properly or stain her dress red like the fresh ones will, which is desirable to her because she wants to use the stained dress in an art project or similar.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...

Invisible Clergy posted:

Of course the stupid OP, after making a post tearing her hair and rending her garments about how awful and disgusting the name is doesn't tell us what the stupid name is in the comments.

The name's been in the family for 5 generations? And the husband's doing a 180 on this after years of being on OP's side? Maybe the family are Vanderbilts or something and if they don't name their son Cornelius Pnurtis Agammemnon Johnson-Vanderbilt V, he'll be disinherited but they only dropped this bomb on the husband after he told the Corny III that he isn't playing ball. That would be an unenviable situation but just name him that and call him something else, that's what all various scions of the Rockefeller family, who are compelled to name their first male heirs "John" do:

Oh, of course this reasonable out isn't at play and her husband is just being a huge piece of poo poo for literally no reason at all. I don't know what I expected. Carry on.

That's because the name is in the post itself! Pnurtis. Or did you miss that? hehe ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

e: ^^ pnurtis wasn't in the original post lol

lyssaviruses are a bad time, don't touch bats. it doesn't happen often but people often are not touching bats

don't let your horses touch bats either

I (30sF) am having a hard time knowing how to say "no" to my coworker (20sF) about giving her money because she might have rabies

quote:

I have a coworker who is very attractive. Seriously beautiful. Over the past 5+ years that we've both been at our jobs, I've watched other coworkers encourage her to try modeling/youtubing/etc about fashion and beauty, which she tried, and she's now kinda famous in social media spheres. As far as I know, she's not actually like "movie star" or "famous actor" famous, but she has millions of followers and has made quite a bit of money off of her channels. She also gets into clubs a lot for free these days, and gets a lot of VIP treatment in certain places. As she's gotten more perks, she has stayed sweet, but she's gotten more and more of a "bad things can't happen to me" attitude, and a kind of "oh, I don't have to worry about that" kind of attitude about certain things. Like, she's started to believe her own bullshit and just image that her life is always going to be perfect and amazing. It's made her harder to work with, but she's generally still sweet, even though she talks about herself a lot.

She recently went on a vacation to Mexico and got bitten by a bat. She did get 1 rabies shot immediately. However, when the doctors told her she needed to take more, and that the shots would make her feel crappy and she'd need to rest after each shot, she decided to opt out of that and get the rest back in the US after her vacation was over.

Obviously, that's not how rabies shots work, and when she got back here and called to schedule the shots, apparently, her doctor told her that she could get them, but that it was too late for them to be helpful now, so...that's that.

Needless to say, she's freaking the gently caress out. Because she didn't know how fatal rabies could be, or how serious the injections should be taken. She also swears that the doctors in Mexico didn't tell her that the follow-up shots were that important, which might be true, but I've watched her blow off other medical/"real life" problems that need to be taken seriously before, so honestly, I don't know if I believe her. But at the same time, she might be really hosed, but won't know for something like 2 years.

Now she's talking about doing fund-raisers and stuff to look into experimental research or treatments and also kind of on a rabies crusade to inform her followers about rabies, which is kinda nuts and...ok, I know that she and I are about 15ish years apart, age-wise, but do people in their 20s seriously not know how dangerous rabies can be? Is that really a thing?

Anyways, the important thing is that she's asking for money and always accenting what a life-and-death situation it is. I am NOT giving her money for a lot of reasons, but I don't know how to tell her that I'm not giving her money, especially since she keeps saying things like "without this money, I could die".

Let's be honest, even with all the money in the world, she could die. Or she won't. No way to know.

How should I phrase my "no" to her?

edited to add that I do believe her, because she's never lied to my knowledge and she's never asked for money before in the office. Even if this is nuts, I don't think she made up what actually happened, and she has never tried to get money from the office before, so this isn't a habit or an on-going problem with her.

update: to make a long story short, some coworkers (including me) went to HR and complained that she was making us uncomfortable. By the time I went down, they basically said "are you here to complain about the rabies thing? We're working on taking care of it". HR called her down to their office, and a little later, my boss sent an email saying "Hey everybody, RabiesWoman had to go home today. Please direct anything important about her work to me. She will be back in a day or two". The speculation is that HR told her she can't be freaking out and soliciting money at work, and sent her home to pull herself together. I do feel really bad for her, because like I said, I do believe this is genuine, in part because she has NEVER come to work freaking out and crying like this before. She's occasionally came to work drama-freaking out over some ridiculous social thing for attention, but she was really looking panicked and horrified and miserable the last time I saw her. If anything else happens in the next week or so, I'll update, but I don't know if she'll be at this job (or I'll be at this job) or the next two full years to know for sure if she doesn't have rabies. As dippy as she can be, I really hope she's fine and finds a therapist, because I wouldn't wish this kind of situation on my worst enemy, much less someone who can be annoying self-involved, but it otherwise sweet and pretty good at her job

TLDR: My social-media famous, "like is always going to be perfect for me" coworker got bitten by a bat on vacation, and didn't get rabies shots as she should have. She's now freaking out and asking for money for "experimental treatments". How do I say "no" to her without sounding like the world's coldest rear end in a top hat?

Mx. fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Nov 17, 2021