Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Janitor Ludwich IV posted:

Did bootcha really get silenced by a lawsuit and that's why he doesn't do videos anymore

Don't think so

His next chapter is called 'The Machine is Bleeding To Death'

Maybe the investment infusion changed the tune or something?

e: ugg poo poo snipe

https://v.redd.it/9aq354pi52081/DASH_480.mp4

Pixelate fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Nov 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Anticheat: "No Russian"

a couple of things, thread.

Did bootcha really get silenced by a lawsuit and that's why he doesn't do videos anymore

also
There's a free fly this weekend right? I have never tried becoming a citizen. How badly will it damage my computer if i install it and then subsequently run it?

My friend tells me its great now and he said he's only in for $60

IIRC the problem with Bootcha is sheer boredom.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.

Pixelate posted:

Don't think so

His next chapter is called 'The Machine is Bleeding To Death'

Maybe the investment infusion changed the tune or something?

e: ugg poo poo snipe

https://v.redd.it/9aq354pi52081/DASH_480.mp4

Yeap totally working, not a broken-rear end shitpile at all. Pack it up, looks like the Citizens won folks.
Yeah EVE: Echoes actually has a few qol things I wish EVE did, but then I'd have to play EVE of some form again and nooope.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

fidelity mesh

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

- Moons

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Roberts must have seen Inception.

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin
it's actually just kinda like the citadel in mass effect, except its a planet with an outer ring and an inner ring, the inner ring simply rotates on its axis faster than the outer ring so it looks like that because of the advanced physics engine. The clipping is just early days

Here's a post I have in one of my IRL friends discord channel

quote:

the Servers are so busy At the present... makes it not easy to do bounty's when the universe has a bad time updating the Quest After u Explode the target... its Great plated when most citizens are in bed till Server Messing is Complete...
and can hold over 1000 ppl per universe will Definitely Make the universe Feel so alive

i got invited to Help Brake someone's Mate out off prison.. Very Significant Fun.. involved Noclipping down there as are Squad... avoided falling through the terrain and Rolled put a tank from the Cargo section... got my Firearms and med kids rdy to go... Many hacking Tools Ect... got in to some First Person Fidelicious Fights with the Goons... Crim stat went throw the ceiling on on this jaunt...We got our citizen...made it back to the spacemobile... Headed for a Special base... Brutalized our way in.... used the Personal computer to Hack the Mainframe... and wipe our records from the System

some words have been edited to protect the innocent but capitalization and spelling errors remain intact

really makes me want to buy one of those expensive ships you all are always raving about

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
Server Messing has been implemented since day one.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

I'm looking forward to Netflix picking up Bootcha's web series and reshooting it with more polish, sort of like the American Vandal series. Downside is people will think it's a parody, upside is Bootcha gets paid and it will be hilarious.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_DULlbuX0g

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
Found a better living belt

https://v.redd.it/x6msb61095081/DASH_480.mp4

Someone Kickstart it

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Oh no.

Working for Wargaming is an immensely stable job and I've heard good things about them as an employer. Why in god's name would you leave to go work for Croberts?

My assumption was that at this point their poaching of people already in the industry must be at around 0 because the only people who would work for them are new grads.

Also, wow I really hate this trend of making gifs of yourself editing your twitter bio. I don't know what it is, it just gets me.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/DentalForthrightAmericanriverotter-mobile.mp4

.random
May 7, 2007

Fidelitious posted:

Also, wow I really hate this trend of making gifs of yourself editing your twitter bio. I don't know what it is, it just gets me.

I think it’s possibly because it is incredibly dumb and also embarrassing that The Changing of the Bio is sufficiently momentous to warrant this treatment.

Though I guess if anyone should do it, it’s a person who has made it their life’s work to waste their life on social media. :shrug:

.random fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Nov 17, 2021

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
https://clips.twitch.tv/PiercingTransparentEmuSwiftRage-Y_X0sdqfCwEyV2Ge

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

CeeJee posted:

Server Messing has been implemented since day none.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
the longer this shitpile goes on the more sad I am that elite dangerous is pretty much cashed out and will drift away

the longer things go on in general, the more sad I am that space sims don't get a real big studio treatment and deliver us a real hot live sim product

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Fidelitious posted:

I've only seen in the context of SC. So I don't even know if it's a regular thing or just something CIG encourages.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

quote:

The 'mid years' 2015 to 2018 were all about showing us the making of tools, gradually we see the results of those tools. A new planet and landing zone roughly every 18 months has been the cadence. That would put the Pyro system to be 'on time' in about a year, the difference is it will arrive 'fully formed' unlike the Stanton system - which judging by the Server Meshing schedule seems just about right. Nyx to follow soon after as both systems are currently in active development, there may be others.

The new MTL Sandbox 1 team at Montreal have been contributing to the PU and the Roadmap has them contributing even more in the coming few months - building (as in edifices, not the verb) interiors/missions for landing zones, derelicts and missions etc They are recruiting like crazy. I remember about 3 years ago someone on Reddit deriding me and calling me all sorts of koolade-drinking crazy for suggesting ArcCorp would have interiors to it's buildings.

About recruiting staff. In the beginning they needed highly trained and experienced staff to change the game engine and to make the tools, now the tools are mostly ready to use they can recruit less well trained staff and train them internally to use the tools to churn out content. This process will accelerate over the next year or so.

Gen12 API first pass finishes it's sprint on the Roadmap in December. Hopefully Vulkan will follow soon after. That will change things a lot, simple things like ship interior culling make the addition of more content viable.

This next year is going to be the most amazing we have had so far. I think many are realising this if they actually look and follow the development progress.

People know my predictions for Squadron 42 at the anniversary, but there's a sneaky part of my brain asking.. maybe.. just maybe .. remember that video at the first Invictus Launch Week, the one where we join the UEE navy and go off to bootcamp? - Invictus is in May isn't it? Last week in May to 1st of June? What was it Jared Huckaby said a few weeks ago - "Squadron 42 is basically one huge dynamic mission in the Star Citizen universe." :wink: :wink:

It's that time of year again, time to allow ourselves to be the wide-eyed kid dreaming.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Mirificus posted:

People know my predictions for Squadron 42 at the anniversary, but there's a sneaky part of my brain asking.. maybe.. just maybe .. remember that video at the first Invictus Launch Week, the one where we join the UEE navy and go off to bootcamp? - Invictus is in May isn't it? Last week in May to 1st of June? What was it Jared Huckaby said a few weeks ago - "Squadron 42 is basically one huge dynamic mission in the Star Citizen universe." :wink: :wink:

These people have qanon-level brainworms. Always waiting for JFK junior to show up, he must be just around the corner.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

so i finally got the patch downloaded, but when I tried to play it had an error and won't load

dang, too bad.

also my friend told me that the crashes are caused by having a second monitor plugged in, which is just... my god why do people put up with this game at all? it's not even playable, what's there isn't even fun or unique or interesting. I know it's just brain worms but my god, why even try?

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

AHH F/UGH posted:

so i finally got the patch downloaded, but when I tried to play it had an error and won't load

dang, too bad.

also my friend told me that the crashes are caused by having a second monitor plugged in, which is just... my god why do people put up with this game at all? it's not even playable, what's there isn't even fun or unique or interesting. I know it's just brain worms but my god, why even try?
Everything makes more sense if you think of Star Citizen more like an MLM and less like a MMO.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
LuLaCitizen

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

TheAgent posted:

LuLaCitizen

delete this before i start getting friends-from-high-school facebook messages asking me how i'm doing and if i'm excited for a new space sim opportunity

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

AHH F/UGH posted:

dang, too bad.

If you are a secret masochist that loves to be treated like poo poo this may be the game for you, here is a quick test:

1. Do you want to have to travel for 5+ hours to your destination?
2. Do you want a 36 minute death penalty?
3. Do you expect to fill a 1000m3 cargo bay one 1m3 box at a time?
4. Do you want your mission to fail 5 times in a row losing everything you own everytime?

If so this game may be for you!

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

monkeytek posted:

Do you want your ship to explode because said 1m3 boxes are bouncing and damaging the hull?

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

monkeytek posted:

If you are a secret masochist that loves to be treated like poo poo this may be the game for you, here is a quick test:

1. Do you want to have to travel for 5+ hours to your destination?
2. Do you want a 36 minute death penalty?
4. Do you want your mission to fail 5 times in a row losing everything you own everytime?

If so this game may be for you!

Star Citizen might also be for you if you can answer YES! to these questions:

1. Do you not have much time or interest in playing any videogame, but still consider "being a gamer" an essential part of your personal identity?
2. Do you prefer thinking about having friends, respect, and fame in an online game to actually playing an online game and potentially not getting any of those things?
3. Do you like spending a lot of money?
4. Do you like spending a lot of money more when you can imagine that it's buying you friends/respect/fame in an online game?
5. Do you believe that literally anything can be done if enough people spend enough money and time trying to do it, no matter what the so-called "experts" say?
6. Do you like believing that more than you could ever possibly like an actual videogame that you would have to play?

If so, you're ready to play the real Star Citizen; get on over to their store and start buying up those Idrises, CIG will send you a fancy inkjet-printed certificate to reward you as soon as they get around to it!

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Time wasted = lost customers posted:

Say a movie night will take four hours, between getting to the theater, getting tickets, getting seated, watching the movie, and getting home again. Well if I only have three hours free that night I can't go to the movie with you. Sorry honey. Even though I've got three hours free tonight, we can't do that. That entertainment option has been ruled out by life.

This is reality, and it's immutable. The longer an entertainment product takes to consume, the fewer people can enjoy it. People have lives. Jobs take time. Kids take time. Life takes time.

I mention this because Star Citizen is continually adding things that make it more time consuming, and the more they do this, the more it will rule people out of playing it.

Now, the response from the Spectrum community to this conundrum seems to be, "Well too bad, guess this game isn't for you." And that's fine to an extent, some games aren't for everyone. But it does have to be for some people besides the people who don't work or have no lives, right? It won't survive otherwise.

How much more tedium can CIG pack into this thing before it stops being viable? Are we already past that point with 3.15?

quote:

Nah, that's your opinion, but honestly yes inpatient people like you won't stick around and that's not a bad thing.

If CIG wanted to bring every single player into this game, they would have copy pasted <insert overdone main stream title here>.

If this is not your type of game, then you have plenty to select from

quote:

I'll take that "lost customer" as a massive win for the community that followed the game and its vision from the start.

No offense, but we frankly don't need players that are of the "instant gratification" generation.
Don't let the door hit you.

quote:

Ahh, you mean the kind of losing of customers which means they break and surpass their fundraising records this year? After more "tedious time wasting" and "punishing" long-planned mechanics have been added.
I'm totally down for that kind of losing of customers.

Sorry to say but you're not that important to the SC project and neither are the players who think like you. I would argue that your demands that the game be watered down would actually cost more funding to the project as the backers who consistently keep pumping money into the project would be turned off as would anyone else who's looking for something different.

Making the game less challenging, more casual-friendly and simplified would attract short-term backers (maybe a lot of them) who who would leave when the next shiny AAA title was released but it would alienate the backers (millions of them) who actually want the game CR promised to make (with DoSM, long travel times, consequences etc)

But you do you. Keep banging that drum about how the game will lose customers while CIG keeps breaking their funding records. You sound like that homeless guy on my street corner who's always yelling that the world will end soon.

quote:

There WILL be missions you cannot "finish" in 12 hours simply due to the size of the world.

And that is GOOD because it puts everyone on a more leveling playing field. Even if you have too much time to play video games, you still can't consume them as fast as you want to. That's important.

I think it works out well for those that don't have a lot of time to play, the longer it takes to do missions.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Look honey, I know the fence needs painted and you want to see a movie but I already blocked out 12 hours for hot space mopping action aboard a jpeg yacht.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

"I think it works out well for those that don't have a lot of time to play, the longer it takes to do missions."

Pack it up boys & gals. The parody is coming from inside the house. Nothing more we can do here.

Also this entire discussion is very rich when you consider that backers can just PAY to get the best ships and skip doing the mission grind.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Mirificus posted:

Time wasted = lost customers posted:
Say a movie night will take four hours, between getting to the theater, getting tickets, getting seated, watching the movie, and getting home again. Well if I only have three hours free that night I can't go to the movie with you. Sorry honey. Even though I've got three hours free tonight, we can't do that. That entertainment option has been ruled out by life.

This is reality, and it's immutable. The longer an entertainment product takes to consume, the fewer people can enjoy it. People have lives. Jobs take time. Kids take time. Life takes time.

I mention this because Star Citizen is continually adding things that make it more time consuming, and the more they do this, the more it will rule people out of playing it.

Now, the response from the Spectrum community to this conundrum seems to be, "Well too bad, guess this game isn't for you." And that's fine to an extent, some games aren't for everyone. But it does have to be for some people besides the people who don't work or have no lives, right? It won't survive otherwise.

How much more tedium can CIG pack into this thing before it stops being viable? Are we already past that point with 3.15?

quote:
Nah, that's your opinion, but honestly yes inpatient people like you won't stick around and that's not a bad thing.

If CIG wanted to bring every single player into this game, they would have copy pasted <insert overdone main stream title here>.

If this is not your type of game, then you have plenty to select from

quote:
I'll take that "lost customer" as a massive win for the community that followed the game and its vision from the start.

No offense, but we frankly don't need players that are of the "instant gratification" generation.
Don't let the door hit you.

quote:
Ahh, you mean the kind of losing of customers which means they break and surpass their fundraising records this year? After more "tedious time wasting" and "punishing" long-planned mechanics have been added.
I'm totally down for that kind of losing of customers.

Sorry to say but you're not that important to the SC project and neither are the players who think like you. I would argue that your demands that the game be watered down would actually cost more funding to the project as the backers who consistently keep pumping money into the project would be turned off as would anyone else who's looking for something different.

Making the game less challenging, more casual-friendly and simplified would attract short-term backers (maybe a lot of them) who who would leave when the next shiny AAA title was released but it would alienate the backers (millions of them) who actually want the game CR promised to make (with DoSM, long travel times, consequences etc)

But you do you. Keep banging that drum about how the game will lose customers while CIG keeps breaking their funding records. You sound like that homeless guy on my street corner who's always yelling that the world will end soon.

quote:

There WILL be missions you cannot "finish" in 12 hours simply due to the size of the world.

And that is GOOD because it puts everyone on a more leveling playing field. Even if you have too much time to play video games, you still can't consume them as fast as you want to. That's important.

I think it works out well for those that don't have a lot of time to play, the longer it takes to do missions.

SC fans really are broke brain. Only they can believe on one hand that this will be the biggest game ever with huge player populations. While at the same time want only players that can spend 10's of hours at a time playing spin my ship as it transits to its next crash.

.random
May 7, 2007

Wells the ways I sees it is:

Imagine there’s a task (say, getting to the spaceport and launching your ship, just as an example) that takes 800 hours to complete.

Imagine you only have 2 hours to play a week, but another player can play 10 hours every day.

Would it take you weeks (400 weeks, technically) to get to the spaceport and launch your ship? Of course. But it would take the other player (~11.5) weeks, too!

On the other hand, if the task took only 1 hour to achieve, you’d be able to do it 2 times a week, but the other guy could do it 70 times a week! That’s 35 times as many times! That’s nuts!

This is actually a way of bringing those two players into parity, as I’m sure you can see in the cold hard math.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

i can kind of understand what they're saying, i am the type that enjoys flight simulator for example

would i sit down and fly a 7 hour flight, from start to finish at 1:1 regular time?

no, i would fly the first bit, the take off and ascent and cruise, and then warp through the next 6 hours of looking at pretty clouds

then back to regular time to finish off the approach descent and landing.

the time i've tried to do a really long flight 3+ hours, the game ended up crashing about 2 3/4 hours... so like gently caress you instantly lose the will to do it all again and just want to skip to the good bits

i know there ARE people that really enjoy doing the entire 7 hour flight, but having the ABILITY to pick and choose if you want to do one or the other is what makes a game, not being FORCED to sit staring at the screen for the entire 7 hour flight

similarly having missions that could span multiple hours/days of playing, sure it sounds cool on paper, but the first time you take 10 hours to do a mission, approach the final part and the game crashes, or you turn into a jello monster.... i would say 'ok, i tried lets just skip to the good parts now'

but no, CIG and it's weirdo backers want to insist you are present for the entire boring-rear end experience.

i guaranfuckingtee you if this poo poo pile ever goes to wide release, the first week will be EVERYONE screaming to allow us to skip this, skip that, teleport here, and speed up time there.

NO ONE not even the try hard grognards will want to play it the way Chris envisions it, hard stop

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
What would you even do during the trip?

Pilots in real life don't *only* fly non stop for 10 hours. They have books and poo poo.

Are you going to be able to hook up your ereader of choice in the game display and read while flying your fake ship?

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Burkion posted:

What would you even do during the trip?

Pilots in real life don't *only* fly non stop for 10 hours. They have books and poo poo.

Are you going to be able to hook up your ereader of choice in the game display and read while flying your fake ship?

i mean, the people that do that for 'real' use vatsim, so they're talking to controllers etc the whole time

also most of the time they're real pilots etc and this is just practice, i don't know many people that would do an entire real life flight in-game and not just alt-tab out most of the time

don't give Chris any ideas though, next patch will feature 'JUMP SEAT 1.0' in which you can sign up to jump seat on a ship, and when the pilot gets tired can go take a nap and let you take over... pre-alpha of course so expect things like getting a crime-stat for taking over the controls

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Lammasu posted:

What exactly would the social media manager for SC do?

Take shifts running Joe Blobbers and other accounts all over the internet whenever a Google alert comes in for various key words.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Blue On Blue posted:

you'd think they would have at least changed the error code from 30k by now so it's not so recognizable

just kick the can down the road some more, oh you have the NEW error 40k ! wow thats a new one to us, let us take another 5 years to fix it

Chris "thank you for playing Wing Commander!" Roberts approves this suggestion.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Lammasu posted:

Oh God, going through the old threads. So the first Kickstarter stretch goal is a repair robot for everyone. In all my years following this fiasco I've never once heard anyone mention robots. Wait, I take that back. Isn't like AI outlawed or something because of some Dune bullshit? But the very first stretch goal is hardly ever mentioned almost exactly nine years after it's achievement. Hell they don't even have repair mechanics little alone repair robot mechanics.

Wait until you get to the one where you play command and conquer like space Caesar directing your low class minions from the safety of your magnificent space yacht's super bridge.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

a couple of things, thread.

also
There's a free fly this weekend right? I have never tried becoming a citizen. How badly will it damage my computer if i install it and then subsequently run it?

My friend tells me its great now and he said he's only in for $60

I think it's more that at one point you could get the Roberts to respond to you and they were over the top crazy.

Now they just enjoy their money, ignoring everything, and CIG is just an uncaring EA except worse because they just silence people who disagree with them.

The engagement these days is sort of boring and dull, and nobody really cares to put that much effort into something.

I'm pretty sure once the money stops rolling in Chris will just go "eh whatever. Shut that... what was it again, star commander? Whatever. Just shut it off. Thanks. Bye. Get off my yacht now."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Pixelate posted:

Found a better living belt

https://v.redd.it/x6msb61095081/DASH_480.mp4

Someone Kickstart it

This is super cute. <3

The big error has a tiny error orbiting it!