Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

the shocking thing is Dave Weigel in the replies agreeing, he used to be at least smart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
N. Korea warns of 'catastrophic' COVID-19 crisis as other countries ease restrictions

Seoul hospitals overwhelmed, but Korea committed to staying open

drat, I am on the wrong side of the DMZ.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Goa Tse-tung posted:

the shocking thing is Dave Weigel in the replies agreeing, he used to be at least smart

When your end game/mission accomplished moment is just 1000 deaths a day.

Great Job Team!

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

Lacrosse posted:

my crow buddies at work keep checking in with me to see if I have any snacks but the last few times I've tried to find in-shell peanuts they were out. I'll have to check again, hopefully they're back in stock. I haven't fed them peanuts in months now but they still fly over to say hi every time I pull into the parking lot in the morning.

Corvid crew represent!

I now refer to any crow I see as my crow friends. 2 hours from home? Look! It's my crow friends! I'm like a 5yo with that poo poo

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
any amount of 'cases-per-day' that's higher than zero as a benchmark for 'normality' is horseshit

it's like, okay, assume that there are only 10,000 people infected with COVID in the United States, that we know of - let's open everything back up???

what happens to the 10,000 cases [plus everyone else in the Unknown category]: THEY MULTIPLY! gently caress you, that's how infectious disease works!

you don't stop pouring water on a burning house when there's still one wall that's on fire, just because you've put out the flames everywhere else!

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Lmfao NPR just HAD to both sides their booster approval coverage, and started citing the withdrawn paper for myocarditis risks and side effect poo poo. Absolutely embarrassing nation.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

facetoucher cat posted:

Corvid crew represent!

I now refer to any crow I see as my crow friends. 2 hours from home? Look! It's my crow friends! I'm like a 5yo with that poo poo

Wasn't there some study that corvids commute daily? Like they wake up and go "time to rise n grind" and fly off to some patch of territory an hour away where they expect to get peanuts. Those distant crows may well be your neighbor

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

Skyl3lazer posted:

Lmfao NPR just HAD to both sides their booster approval coverage, and started citing the withdrawn paper for myocarditis risks and side effect poo poo. Absolutely embarrassing nation.

I think one of the biggest silver linings for me personally during the pandemic is not having the temptation to hate listen NPR on my commute lol

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
boostering my titers this friday

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

facetoucher cat posted:

Corvid crew represent!

An old coworker once came upon a crow drowning in a fountain while other crows looked on and yelled. She fished it out of there and all the other crows got super mad for a second, but once she set it down and it regained composure, the crows figured out she wasn’t trying to eat their buddy and calmed down. From that point forward, any time I saw her downtown, there were at least a couple crows following her around.

They’re super interesting, especially around here in the city. If you walk across a bridge at the right time, you can watch thousands of them pouring across the river to meet up and, I guess, talk about all the news a crow can use. They move their meetup spots, too, a few years ago they would have the big meet basically on my block and they were all you could hear for an hour or two, now they’re back across the river again. Everybody goes home after the big meets, but they seem to be a twice daily deal.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
The corvids have adopted Agile business practices, that's their twice-daily stand-up meeting scrum or whatever

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

Failed Imagineer posted:

Wasn't there some study that corvids commute daily? Like they wake up and go "time to rise n grind" and fly off to some patch of territory an hour away where they expect to get peanuts. Those distant crows may well be your neighbor

I like to think they are!

There's two murders that come by here. One with three crows comes by around 8:30am and the other only has two and they show up a bit before 11am

The early morning crew were the original bunch and I think word got out there's food to be had

Owls have started showing up early, early morning and I'm thinking they're eating rodents munching on leftover food the foxes, opossums, and deer don't get overnight. My cats are absolutely terrified of the owl hoot. Guess it's instinct and I know they're scared but holy piss it's hilarious

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I want some crow friends :(

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Checking in on Covid as we continue to open up

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
It is no wonder the vikings loved ravens, to the extent that the first Danish flag was a banner depicting a raven. Huginn and Muninn ftw.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

euphronius posted:

Today is a COVID is over day.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

euphronius posted:

Corvids are doing fine. They are carrion eaters after all.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

gradenko_2000 posted:

any amount of 'cases-per-day' that's higher than zero as a benchmark for 'normality' is horseshit

it's like, okay, assume that there are only 10,000 people infected with COVID in the United States, that we know of - let's open everything back up???

what happens to the 10,000 cases [plus everyone else in the Unknown category]: THEY MULTIPLY! gently caress you, that's how infectious disease works!

you don't stop pouring water on a burning house when there's still one wall that's on fire, just because you've put out the flames everywhere else!

It makes sense if you assume we have a robust testing system in place, efficient track and trace, and also that we will immediately start using NPIs if cases start to climb. But since we have none of those things it's just a big lol.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

facetoucher cat posted:

I like to think they are!

There's two murders that come by here. One with three crows comes by around 8:30am and the other only has two and they show up a bit before 11am

The early morning crew were the original bunch and I think word got out there's food to be had

Owls have started showing up early, early morning and I'm thinking they're eating rodents munching on leftover food the foxes, opossums, and deer don't get overnight. My cats are absolutely terrified of the owl hoot. Guess it's instinct and I know they're scared but holy piss it's hilarious

There's a great horned owl that occasionally visits the tree outside my apartment. It really is amazing how silent they fly, they're like ghosts. Nature documentaries use Foley artists to create all the animal noises, so it's a trip to see them fly noiselessly.

The first time I noticed the owl, my roommate thought I was the one saying "who who who" right before we went out to go look for it.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Pingui posted:

Corvids are doing fine. They are carrion eaters after all.

If we were all to die they would have years and years of food.

:unsmith:

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Jon Irenicus posted:

we have legitimately forgotten how to properly greive as a society, if we ever knew at all.

but what about the tiny white flags biden planted :kiddo:

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

gently caress yeah, all year i vaped, up to 3 times a day

gently caress yes

biden normies btfo, if biden truly was so good he would have legalized cannabis and medical grade cannabis would have flowed to patients in need and to prevent covid but no biden is a demon monster who deprived people of cannabis, thus increasing their risk to covid, also increasing their risk to covid by asking them to vote for him in person, just a literal demon cracker with glowy spikes and demon cracker aura gently caress him i win :420:

get hosed brandon :flipoff:

Lastgirl fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Nov 17, 2021

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Lastgirl posted:

gently caress yeah, all year i vaped, up to 3 times a day

gently caress yes

biden normies btfo, if biden truly was so good he would have legalized cannabis and medical grade cannabis would have flowed to patients in need and to prevent covid but no biden is a demon monster who deprived people of cannabis, thus increasing their risk to covid, also increasing their risk to covid by asking them to vote for him in person, just a literal demon cracker with glowy spikes and demon cracker aura gently caress him i win :420:

get hosed brandon :flipoff:

lol

quote:

Collectively, these results suggest that CBD inhibits SARS-CoV-2 infection in part by activating the interferon pathway leading to degradation of viral RNA and subsequent viral-induced changes in host gene expression, including cytokines.

quote:

The mechanism contributing to the antiviral activity of CBD is the induction of the interferon pathway both directly and indirectly following activation of the host immune response to the viral pathogen. In fact, interferons have been tested clinically as potential treatments for COVID-19 (21). Importantly, CBD also suppresses cytokine activation in response to viral infection, reducing the likelihood of immune cell recruitment and subsequent cytokine storms within the lungs and other affected tissues. These results complement previous findings suggesting that CBD suppresses cytokine production in recruited immune cells such as macrophages (22). Thus, CBD has to the potential not only to act as an antiviral agent at early stages of infection but also to protect the host against an overactive immune system at later stages.

CBD has a number of advantages as a potential preventative agent against SARS-CoV-2. CBD is widely available without restricted access if the content of THC is <0.3%. There are multiple means of ingestion, including potential for inhalation and nasal delivery. CBD blocks viral replication after entry into cells and, thus, is likely to be effective against viral variants with mutant spike proteins. Unlike drugs such as remdesivir or antiviral antibodies, CBD administration does not require injection in hospital settings. Finally, CBD is associated with only minor side effects (15).

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

Iron Crowned posted:

There's a great horned owl that occasionally visits the tree outside my apartment. It really is amazing how silent they fly, they're like ghosts. Nature documentaries use Foley artists to create all the animal noises, so it's a trip to see them fly noiselessly.

The first time I noticed the owl, my roommate thought I was the one saying "who who who" right before we went out to go look for it.

They're amazing creatures, simply beautiful and they'll randomly attack people in Atlanta. I'd possibly pee myself if an owl latched onto my noggin

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo
I quit smoking weed earlier this year and have immensely regretted it. I'll buy a delta 10 vape time to time but I'm fairly certain it's just straight vitamin e and I'll end up with popcorn lung

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

facetoucher cat posted:

They're amazing creatures, simply beautiful and they'll randomly attack people in Atlanta. I'd possibly pee myself if an owl latched onto my noggin

:same:

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
do you have to smoke it to get any benefit? what about gummies?

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Koirhor posted:

do you have to smoke it to get any benefit? what about gummies?

CBD isn't thc, it is in fact legal everywhere including federally because it isn't the stuff that gets you high.

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Failed Imagineer posted:

whenever i drive around early in the morning i see them having their morning meetings in or on the side of the road. they always seem like they know something i don't.

i saw a hawk attempt to chill with some corvid friends on a frosty morning a couple weekends ago, but the crows were not very welcoming

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

I've seen whole lot of boomers really get into the whole CBD thing, even the gummies.

And yet people our age assume that it's just regular weed that works (THC just negates the CBD benefits) so yet another reason why the boomers are going to outlive us all in the end.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

lmao

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

Stevie Lee posted:

whenever i drive around early in the morning i see them having their morning meetings in or on the side of the road. they always seem like they know something i don't.

i saw a hawk attempt to chill with some corvid friends on a frosty morning a couple weekends ago, but the crows were not very welcoming

These are really good pictures! I've tried so many times to photograph the birds here but it just ends up looking like a blurry cryptid

Case in point, I took this about 10 seconds ago

Someone call space force!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I did a spatchcocked roast chicken for dinner tonight and it was GOOD

I am definitely taking this to the next level

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I’m a pioneer! I’m an explorer! I’ve got hot Moderna, flowing through me fast!

just got my booster :smug:

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

facetoucher cat posted:

These are really good pictures! I've tried so many times to photograph the birds here but it just ends up looking like a blurry cryptid

Case in point, I took this about 10 seconds ago

Someone call space force!

nice, i saw one of those red-bellied woodpeckers(? i think) a few weeks back, didn't get a picture though.
my favorite bird subjects lately have been the northern mockingbirds that hang out down near the waterfront here. they practically pose for me, and i swear i i heard one of them imitate my camera shutter

salient
Jan 2, 2021

Pingui posted:

I am sure this is fine...

quote:

This decline in the quality of health care will likely occur as demand increases. Even in the unlikely event that no further COVID-19 infections occur, the past months have left millions with long COVID and other severe, chronic problems. “I’m seeing a lot of younger people with end-stage cardiac or neurological disease—people in their 30s and 40s who look like they’re in their 60s and 70s,” Vineet Arora told me. “I don’t think people understand the disability wave that’s coming.”

Throughout the pandemic, commentators have looked to COVID-hospitalization numbers as an indicator of the health-care system’s state. But those numbers say nothing about the dwindling workforce, the mounting exhaustion of those left behind, the expertise now missing from hospitals, or the waves of post-COVID or non-COVID patients. Focusing on COVID numbers belies how much harder getting good medical care for anything is now—and how long that trend could potentially continue. Several health-care workers told me that they are now more concerned about their own loved ones being admitted to the hospital. “I’m worried about the future of medicine,” Sheetal Rao said. “And I think we all should be.”

the poor quality of care i'm seeing patients receive is genuinely terrifying. the bulk of the nurses and techs who are left in the ERs i transport to do not care about covid and will walk maskless between rooms like they're part of some sort of nosocomial covid challenge. rural ambulance crews have stopped masking completely and will care for respiratory distress patients without any protection. multiple physicians are telling chud paramedics they don't need to get vaccinated if they got covid previously :)

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

Stevie Lee posted:

nice, i saw one of those red-bellied woodpeckers(? i think) a few weeks back, didn't get a picture though.
my favorite bird subjects lately have been the northern mockingbirds that hang out down near the waterfront here. they practically pose for me, and i swear i i heard one of them imitate my camera shutter

mockingbirds are so cute and smart. Over the summer one would guard the blueberry bushes in my neighbor's yard. If any other birds came by it would dive bomb them until they left

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Parents finally scheduled for their booster. :woop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

salient posted:

the poor quality of care i'm seeing patients receive is genuinely terrifying. the bulk of the nurses and techs who are left in the ERs i transport to do not care about covid and will walk maskless between rooms like they're part of some sort of nosocomial covid challenge. rural ambulance crews have stopped masking completely and will care for respiratory distress patients without any protection. multiple physicians are telling chud paramedics they don't need to get vaccinated if they got covid previously :)

jfc