Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Pyle posted:

Reading these comments on warmups makes me think that everyone here is some fat purple belt who shows up only to roll.

Try out of shape blue belt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

L0cke17 posted:

Try out of shape blue belt.

I can roll for hour+ straight and be fine. Jog around the mat for 2 minutes I want to die.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Digital Jedi posted:

I can roll for hour+ straight and be fine. Jog around the mat for 2 minutes I want to die.

One of our brownbelts put it very well for me when I was a brand new white belt. The better at bjj you are the better at using gravity to do all the hard work the less energy it will take to roll.

FreakyMetalKid
Nov 23, 2003

L0cke17 posted:

One of our brownbelts put it very well for me when I was a brand new white belt. The better at bjj you are the better at using gravity to do all the hard work the less energy it will take to roll.

When the skill gap is large enough, sometimes I just lay there and wait for the other guy to lose. Sweeps and back takes just present themselves.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

FreakyMetalKid posted:

When the skill gap is large enough, sometimes I just lay there and wait for the other guy to lose. Sweeps and back takes just present themselves.

I do this, especially if I know I need a break between harder rolls.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I used to do that but I've found the more competition focused guys really punish you for it. Also lets bigger more athletic folks get a head of steam that I struggle with sometimes being a little older and lighter.

Now I try to keep some kind of pressure even from open guard and only slow down when I've secured top or at least a closed or half guard. Def a skill learning to threaten without burning too much gas.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
There are a few scenes in Dune where the Baron Harkonnen looks just like John Danaher

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

You must develop propriocetion, feyd-rautha

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

FreakyMetalKid posted:

lol, this happened to me last night. I'm an idiot white belt and was rolling with a purple belt. I was in top half and hosed up a knee-through pass and basically without him doing anything ended up in bottom closed guard. We had to take a break 'cause he was laughing so hard.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

On my second day back from knee injury, we were going over heel hooks in the advance class.

Despite my best efforts, I managed to not injure myself, which is a good thing.

I also got a returning person with an ankle lock so well they panic slapped me. At least I know it was working!

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Drewjitsu posted:

On my second day back from knee injury, we were going over heel hooks in the advance class.

Despite my best efforts, I managed to not injure myself, which is a good thing.

I also got a returning person with an ankle lock so well they panic slapped me. At least I know it was working!

That's funny. Hopefully your knee injury heels up nice. My first day back from my knee injury was reverse de la riva day and I was so nervous. Luckily it's healing fine, sometimes I forget it's injured and will elevate someone with butterfly hooks on the bad knee, remember and then make my leg go limp and drop them on top of me because I get scared.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

gay for gacha posted:

That's funny. Hopefully your knee injury heels up nice. My first day back from my knee injury was reverse de la riva day and I was so nervous. Luckily it's healing fine, sometimes I forget it's injured and will elevate someone with butterfly hooks on the bad knee, remember and then make my leg go limp and drop them on top of me because I get scared.

We got a guy that did this to me and it was one of the weirdest moments in a roll for me because we were going at a pretty good intensity level. I want from "no no nononono!" to "I'm OK.. I'm OK!" in about two seconds as I collapsed on him and sprawled but because that caused me to lose focus, he caught my arm real quick and got a sub in.

First I was worried about the sweep, then elated that I "evaded" the sweep, then frustrated that I got caught up in 3rd person view and had to tap, then worried that I obliterated his knee. What a rollercoaster.

Related: I have a real problem being a spectator while I'm rolling. A lot of times I'll land something like a pass or a sweep and have a "holy wow that worked" moment *or* someone will pull something ridiculous/cool on me and I'll basically just be enthusiastically watching jiujitsu happen, forgetting it's happening to me. Both lapses of focus lead to swift punishment.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
With no evidence I'm going to blame my class warm-up jogs for the shin splits I have now.
God do they hurt.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

so this training mon+wed morning and tue night has caused my conditioning to go sideways. mon+wed morning are light to moderate in effort but holy poo poo tuesday nights are brutal. the age of the people present is lower and their athleticism+skill level is higher and the number of rolls greater. if i do any exercise outside of class on thursdays, i'm dead on wednesdays. i want to keep getting better at bjj and part of that is taking care of my health so i want to keep my body moving and i want to get stronger to protect my joints and such.

i've got kettle bells, dumb bells, resistance bands, an exercise bike, and my own bodyweight at my disposal. anyone have ideas for sane exercise schedules outside of the weird class schedule? i might decide to add thursday nights no gi as well in the far future (which would be just as intense as tuesday. same crew).

i considered just doing something on thur+fri but that seems inefficient. maybe weights on mwf but i can't readily cardio on tuesday due to that night class. i think it's probably best to keep the weekends open for rest and i already do yoga every morning and have for years for fighting soreness and improving what little flexibility i have.

if i can come up with something useful, i might start me another log cabin log.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Could you do weights thu+sat or fri+sun? dead/bench/accessory one day and squat/press/accessory the other?

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Could you do weights thu+sat or fri+sun? dead/bench/accessory one day and squat/press/accessory the other?

that might work. i could also focus on upper body on tuesday because what really kills me the following day is my legs if i hit the bike or do any lower body lifting.

thanks for the ideas!

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

starkebn posted:

Good luck

Thanks Guys!

Well, I ended up losing both my matches. In Nogi I had a good double collar tie that I tried to use to break my opponent down with but he managed to break out of it then shoot for a single. The moment he shot for it, I tried to pull guard to prevent him from getting the two points. He must have touched my leg quick because when I was on my back with him in my full guard I looked over at the clock and saw he got the two. I then just proceeded to work my full guard game. I almost tapped him with a kimura from full guard. He played his arms really loose. Its something I have noticed that really big guys do. Not sure why they feel so comfortable. If my timing was better Im almost positive I would have gotten the sub, but I did get an advantage point for the attempt. I just needed the sweep to get on top and Im positive I would have won. I managed to somehow end up in deep half by the time the clock ran out. 6 minutes is not enough time IMO. If you really want to test someone out, a 10 to 15 minute match will show their mettle.

As for the Gi, basically the same thing happened. My opponent shot for a single but my reaction was to try and get the far side kimura. When I realized I couldnt get it, I got the 100% and nearly had a sweep but it failed when he kicked his leg out. I worked an open guard game for a bit before he ended up passing.

Im proud that I put into practice a lot of what I have learned from my professor over the past 8 months. I still have a few details to work on for a few escapes and now I realize I need to manage space better between me and my opponent standing up and learn how to manage to shoot first. My coach is loving amazing. Before my match he gave me a few pointers literally on the ground of the convention center floor showing me how to sweep and submit when someone is in your full guard and they have their head down on your chest with their elbows at your hips. He took the time to really help me understand this right before my match.

I ended up talking to my opponent for a bit and some of the other competitors after their matches. That bracket was really fun to watch (ultra heavy, purple master 3). Some really good talent. The guy who took silver was a bowling ball who had some excellent takedowns including a Kata Guruma that got the crowd roaring. Saw a pretty nasty injury where two guys heads collided and one of them went down for a while. Im not sure what happened to the Final. It was supposed to take place on a certain mat and I was there, but then it either got moved, they couldn't find one of the competitors or one of the competitors was injured and the match never took place(?). It was weird. The match isnt even up on Flo but the results are on the IBJJF site :confused:

My kids competed and both lost as well, but for their first tournament they did really really well. The heart they showed made me want to cry. It was beautiful!

Talked for a bit with Vitor Shaolin (seriously nice dude). We talked about the clock choke for a quite a bit and he gave me some pointers. I told him whenever I think of that move Im reminded of his match with Kenny Florian where he put him out. He laughed. I did get a chance to meet Andre Galvao, but he didnt want to talk about anything else but his online platform Atos BJJ On Demand. He was trying to convince me how his subscription service was better than BJJ fanatics. It wasn't working. Still a really nice guy. The Miyao brothers were walking around but they didnt look like they wanted to be bugged. Saw Travis Stevens who has huge gnarly hands! Saw Mikey Musemeci running around like a teenage girl, looking a bit confused as to where he was :derp:

All in all great time. I highly recommend making it out to the convention if you can. Its worth it for the free seminars alone. $20 to get in if you're a IBJJF member. Over the 4 days Robert Drysdale, Andre Galvao and Andy Murasaki, Mohamad Aly, and Leo Veira all taught.

Tacos Al Pastor fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Nov 15, 2021

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Thanks Guys!

Well, I ended up losing both my matches. In Nogi I had a good double collar tie that I tried to use to break my opponent down with but he managed to break out of it then shoot for a single. The moment he shot for it, I tried to pull guard to prevent him from getting the two points. He must have touched my leg quick because when I was on my back with him in my full guard I looked over at the clock and saw he got the two. I then just proceeded to work my full guard game. I almost tapped him with a kimura from full guard. He played his arms really loose. Its something I have noticed that really big guys do. Not sure why they feel so comfortable. If my timing was better Im almost positive I would have gotten the sub, but I did get an advantage point for the attempt. I just needed the sweep to get on top and Im positive I would have won. I managed to somehow end up in deep half by the time the clock ran out. 6 minutes is not enough time IMO. If you really want to test someone out, a 10 to 15 minute match will show their mettle.

As for the Gi, basically the same thing happened. My opponent shot for a single but my reaction was to try and get the far side kimura. When I realized I couldnt get it, I got the 100% and nearly had a sweep but it failed when he kicked his leg out. I worked an open guard game for a bit before he ended up passing.

Im proud that I put into practice a lot of what I have learned from my professor over the past 8 months. I still have a few details to work on for a few escapes and now I realize I need to manage space better between me and my opponent standing up and learn how to manage to shoot first. My coach is loving amazing. Before my match he gave me a few pointers literally on the ground of the convention center floor showing me how to sweep and submit when someone is in your full guard and they have their head down on your chest with their elbows at your hips. He took the time to really help me understand this right before my match.

I ended up talking to my opponent for a bit and some of the other competitors after their matches. That bracket was really fun to watch (ultra heavy, purple master 3). Some really good talent. The guy who took silver was a bowling ball who had some excellent takedowns including a Kata Guruma that got the crowd roaring. Saw a pretty nasty injury where two guys heads collided and one of them went down for a while. Im not sure what happened to the Final. It was supposed to take place on a certain mat and I was there, but then it either got moved, they couldn't find one of the competitors or one of the competitors was injured and the match never took place(?). It was weird. The match isnt even up on Flo but the results are on the IBJJF site :confused:

My kids competed and both lost as well, but for their first tournament they did really really well. The heart they showed made me want to cry. It was beautiful!

Talked for a bit with Vitor Shaolin (seriously nice dude). We talked about the clock choke for a quite a bit and he gave me some pointers. I told him whenever I think of that move Im reminded of his match with Kenny Florian where he put him out. He laughed. I did get a chance to meet Andre Galvao, but he didnt want to talk about anything else but his online platform Atos BJJ On Demand. He was trying to convince me how his subscription service was better than BJJ fanatics. It wasn't working. Still a really nice guy. The Miyao brothers were walking around but they didnt look like they wanted to be bugged. Saw Travis Stevens who has huge gnarly hands! Saw Mikey Musemeci running around like a teenage girl, looking a bit confused as to where he was :derp:

All in all great time. I highly recommend making it out to the convention if you can. Its worth it for the free seminars alone. $20 to get in if you're a IBJJF member. Over the 4 days Robert Drysdale, Andre Galvao and Andy Murasaki, Mohamad Aly, and Leo Veira all taught.

Sounds awesome, good on you for putting yourself in there

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
I can't tell whether judo is making my grip strength insane or I'm imagining that.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Sherbert Hoover posted:

I can't tell whether judo is making my grip strength insane or I'm imagining that.

It probably is. Fighting judo guys sucks and this is one of the main reasons.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.
My old gym used to have a weekly judo class taught by a spry but average-sized 6th dan in his 70s. When he would get grips on me just to demonstrate the fit-in for a throw, it activated something in the lizard part of my brain that said "you're about to die" in a way that few things ever have.

So yeah, it's probably helping your grips.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Nestharken posted:

My old gym used to have a weekly judo class taught by a spry but average-sized 6th dan in his 70s. When he would get grips on me just to demonstrate the fit-in for a throw, it activated something in the lizard part of my brain that said "you're about to die" in a way that few things ever have.

So yeah, it's probably helping your grips.

It's the lift. Judoka will lift you up with their grips which puts you up on your toes and gives an off-balance falling sensation that is very off-putting. It's a contrast with sambo players who tend to pull down and put pressure for to get snapdowns, drop throws or Georgian grips.

Mursupitsku
Sep 12, 2011
Won bronze in finnish nationals -76kg bluebelts last weekend. I signed up and on a whim and didn't prepare that well due to covid so it was nice to get at least some success. Only 2 matches this time. The second one felt winnable but I completely gassed out.

Its nice to see goon competition matches so below are my 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBTcV2l2jHQ&t=1952s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxKnCvIRFBw&t=4314s

What's the best way to make sure I don't gas out as bad in future matches? More hard rolling or more actual cardio training like jogging?

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

Mursupitsku posted:

What's the best way to make sure I don't gas out as bad in future matches? More hard rolling or more actual cardio training like jogging?

Specificity is king, but it depends on your baseline level of fitness. Sports Science in a nutshell, general training creates qualities that can be refined by sports specific training, and in fact general training is necessary on at least an occasional basis to prevent stagnation and injury. If your resting heart rate isn't at least in the 60's you'll benefit from non-bjj aerobic training, 30-60 minutes of a hr around 50-60% of max for your age group, a level where you should easily be able to have a conversation. Past that cardiac interval training becomes of greater value, especially because BJJ has a fairly high degree of intermittency, ie it's often periods of static positions and slow development leading to bursts of movement. Increasing basic strength and strength endurance can also help with gassing issues. At blue belt you're getting out of your spazzy stage but at competition level there is some consideration to technique efficiency. Finally, rolling hard rounds IN YOUR TIME CATAGORY leading up to the competition while cutting back on non bjj conditioning and weights adds some of that specificity back, with the caveat that it may be better to be slightly underprepared rather than injured.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1voIhxbjES9HYImWA534_ZQbn_qN02io4_eDPoTyUo_U/edit?usp=sharing Here's a crappy spreadsheet program I made for a blue belt from my gym with no lifting experience, with a basic taper period. Don't underestimate it though, doing just this got him a 150kg ish deadlift for his police academy fitness test. Chad Wesley Smith has some BJJ conditioning and lifting videos under the Juggernaut Strength moniker, and I'm also a big fan of the unified strength and conditioning approach of the Tactical Barbell books.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Mursupitsku posted:

Won bronze in finnish nationals -76kg bluebelts last weekend. I signed up and on a whim and didn't prepare that well due to covid so it was nice to get at least some success. Only 2 matches this time. The second one felt winnable but I completely gassed out.

Gratz!

I'm just a lowly one stripe white belt but I have improved my cardio in rolls by incorporating HIIT and heavy bag work into my exercise routine. I like darebee.com for workouts and my heavy bag is just 3 rounds at 3min each with 1min rest in between. Seems to have helped but YMMV because I'm not an expert at any of this

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Mursupitsku posted:

This is bro science so disregarded it if somebody more knowledgable chimes in:

I’m a decent purple belt so my movements are pretty efficient I guess, and I roll pretty lazily. I find that when I jog once a week my rolling cardio is better, and in the leadup to competitions I aim to be able to jog 5k. That’s as far as I go (because I’m lazy) but beyond that I think you’d benefit from aerobic training that’s more specific to the movements of grappling (like some HIIT that includes shots and sprawls) or even just to doing more intense rounds when training for a couple of weeks before the competition, and then train more lightly in the final week before the competition so that you’re not beaten up on competition day.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
from everything i've read supplementing specific training with general cardio fitness (30-60 mins of any exercise where your hr is between 130 and 150) only yields benefits.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Marching Powder posted:

from everything i've read supplementing specific training with general cardio fitness (30-60 mins of any exercise where your hr is between 130 and 150) only yields benefits.

I've heard heart rate of 180 minus your age is optimal, so in that range

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

Totally anecdotal but after I added a 4km run, 3 times a week to my routine I noticed my gas tank for boxing sparring and rolling improved dramatically

starkebn
May 18, 2004

02-6611-0142-1 didn't really say it, but it's also important to try and use less effort when rolling. If you're gassing during a roll it's probably because your technique isn't correct. Easier said than done, but don't try and force things to work with brute strength. Your muscle power should be used when it's needed but you also need to know when to relax or use gravity.

You usually don't see two equally matched black belts at high level competitions straining furiously. Sure, there is a lot of strength to hold certain positions, or push through technique, but the sleepier you can roll the better.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mursupitsku posted:

woah that's cool, congrats

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

in the bizarre injuries department, the end of my left elbow suddenly has sharp pain when i put weight on it like resting it on my chair handle. i probably banged it during a roll. i've resigned to the fate that life is just now a series of tiny annoying injuries since i've been going to class three times a week. it's making me consider if i want to pick up that fourth class each week.

better than major injuries, i suppose.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

whats for dinner posted:

Totally anecdotal but after I added a 4km run, 3 times a week to my routine I noticed my gas tank for boxing sparring and rolling improved dramatically

There is a reason why the Diaz brothers do triathlons. Cycling has definitively helped with my endurance.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

knuthgrush posted:

in the bizarre injuries department, the end of my left elbow suddenly has sharp pain when i put weight on it like resting it on my chair handle. i probably banged it during a roll. i've resigned to the fate that life is just now a series of tiny annoying injuries since i've been going to class three times a week. it's making me consider if i want to pick up that fourth class each week.

better than major injuries, i suppose.

I've had this. It's pretty annoying but far as I know it all healed fine and didn't come back.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

The only good thing about 13 months off due to the 'rona was the lack of constant pain in at least 2-3 parts of my body.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm starting to get some persistent soreness from my buddy throwing me close to 100x per day for his grading practice

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

CommonShore posted:

I'm starting to get some persistent soreness from my buddy throwing me close to 100x per day for his grading practice

i feel this. a wrestler and brand new (only about 6-8 classes total) whitebelt has opted to be my drilling partner which means he gets first roll with me when that part of class comes. he's a nice dude but the slams are no joke. i'm quickly learning to pull guard before he wrecks me, though.

Mursupitsku
Sep 12, 2011
Thanks for all the helpful answers! I've already started to do some jogging. However its getting pretty cold and slippery here so I'll probably have to get some better shoes at minimum to continue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

My Fuji Gi pants completely ripped open last night during sparring. Ripped from the waist line all the way down basically to my leg. I didnt even notice, my instructor stopped me and basically said "Your pants are open". I was slightly embarrassed as Im sure some people people got the full view of my undies and who knows maybe even more :butt: