Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Only Kindness posted:

Speaking of, Bernie Drummond just passed away.

Real heads will know.

Aw gently caress :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Failed Imagineer posted:

https://twitter.com/AlbertoNardelli/status/1460893292833423360?t=4WxJ-Q_wxZJ59JU4PiJ5GQ&s=19

Brexit seems to be a continued onslaught of annoyances and frustration until everything explodes

Like it isn't even directly Brexit, it's just Visa being greedy and upping their fees in the UK because they no longer are constrained by EU legislation (or depending how you look at it Amazon being greedy because they are unwilling to just eat the additional cost).

Amazing that so many people thought that things would somehow be cheaper when companies were no longer restricted by things like roaming charges, or transaction fees.

Also don't get sick on holiday now because EU health insurance is no longer a thing for you.

keep punching joe fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Nov 17, 2021

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

fuctifino posted:

The 9 Insulate Britain protesters have been sentenced to 3-4 months each in prison apart from this guy:

https://twitter.com/rachaelvenables/status/1460593839295582212

.... who was given 6 months for some inexplicable reason.

[standing in court naked] your honour, if you do not slam me in the clink I will poo poo on this floor here and now and I warn you I've had nothing but chilli for four weeks

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

fuctifino posted:

The 9 Insulate Britain protesters have been sentenced to 3-4 months each in prison apart from this guy:

Gotta say I'm loving this guy's "suck my dick you fuckman" energy

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

keep punching joe posted:

Like it isn't even directly Brexit, it's just Visa being greedy and upping their fees in the UK because they no longer are constrained by EU legislation (or depending how you look at it Amazon being greedy because they are unwilling to just eat the additional cost).

Amazing that so many people thought that things would somehow be cheaper when companies were no longer restricted by things like roaming charges, or transaction fees.

Also don't get sick on holiday now because EU health insurance is no longer a thing for you.

How is that not Brexit related? Brexit meant that Britian didn't have to abide by the EU's cap on Interchange fees.
As a result of not being constrained, as you correctly pointed out, Visa raised their fees and Amazon are to cheap to absorb the cost.

Like it may not have been a direct consequence of Brexit and arguably the people who voted to Leave didn't vote for their Visa bills to go up. But it is a clear indirect consequence of Brexit and the UK Government not having a proper deal in place.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Yeah honestly respect for that

There's a weird mentality with prison wardens where they don't seem to understand that the deprivation of liberty is the punishment & it's not their job to punish people more, so they take it upon themselves to generally make life lovely for everyone (in particular the elderly & disabled, since it's easier). I know some people itt take issue with the phrase "the cruelty is the point", but, in this case, the cruelty is the point.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Ugh

https://twitter.com/Independent/status/1460876176587698181

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

The picture looks like she just spotted a dinghy on the horizon

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

Clearly it is dysfunctional but I don’t think she has the same definition in mind as me

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

peanut- posted:

The Tory back benches are gonna revolt over the second jobs rules. Most of them are completely safe in their seats, and I have no problem believing they would rather topple the government than lose half their income.

I dunno if even Boris could get out of proposing these rules then withdrawing them.

Then again, the wording of this will 100% include some legal wording that means you can't be prosecuted for anything you did like this BEFORE it became law.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
The Conservative government has been in charge of the home office for 11 years. How many more years do they need before they start taking ownership of the problems they've created?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/PoliDigitalUK/status/1460927713758253057

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

If you think about it, everything is banned from the EU unless the EU approves it.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Is there much appetite for UK pies outside of the UK? Like I know the British love them, but even in Ireland you'd be hard-pressed to see a British-style pie outside of M&S

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Failed Imagineer posted:

Is there much appetite for UK pies outside of the UK? Like I know the British love them, but even in Ireland you'd be hard-pressed to see a British-style pie outside of M&S

The entirety of Australasia?

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Breaking News: Thing that was known to happen has come to pass.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Total Meatlove posted:

The entirety of Australasia?

Fair, but do they import a bunch of pies? I thought they had their own Gregg's equivalent (Bunnings or something?). Not saying this isn't a big market, just a little surprised

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Have you seen what they do with them though?

:stonk:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Seaside Pie

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Tbf you can get pretty comprehensive travel insurance for Europe for next to nothing so eh

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Grey Hunter posted:

Then again, the wording of this will 100% include some legal wording that means you can't be prosecuted for anything you did like this BEFORE it became law.

Isn't that how it should be though?

And regarding the Amazon/Visa thing - I expect both sides will reach a new agreement, probably along the lines of the ones they currently have. My guess is that Amazon is more valuable to Visa than the other way around, but who knows.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

ThomasPaine posted:

Tbf you can get pretty comprehensive travel insurance for Europe for next to nothing so eh

.... if you are lucky not to have a pre-existing serious medical condition, so eh.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
That Bloomberg article says Amazon are offering customers £20 to switch their default payment mechanism to a debit card or non-VISA credit card, so if you have a Visa CC probably worth setting it as default payment method to see if you can get that.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

fuctifino posted:

what a oval office of a judge IMO

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

a pipe smoking dog posted:

It might actually be good if we kessler ourselves because then rich idiots like musk and bezos will be forced to spend money on making the planet liveable instead of trying to escape to mars.

nah what will happen is things like weather satellites get shot down by debris within weeks or months but Elong and Bozo can still blast through the debris cloud to reach the mars base with only a minimal increase in risk since they won't be in the danger zone for more than like an hour

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

fuctifino posted:

.... if you are lucky not to have a pre-existing serious medical condition, so eh.

I have type 1 diabetes and it was like 10-15 quid iirc, but I concede if you're being wheeled around in an iron lung with stage 4 cancer it may be slightly pricier

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfbhFA7JY_I&t=103s :witch:

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Applying for a free card that tells the hospital to send the bill to the NHS seems a lot better than paying for insurance but eh.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Applying for a free card that tells the hospital to send the bill to the NHS seems a lot better than paying for insurance but eh.

I thought the whole point was that the EHIC wasn't going to be valid any more (or not for much longer)

Also I have heard horror stories about EHIC, in that they'll pay for basic stuff but it doesn't cover everything (e.g. emergency evac etc) so you can still be hit with an insane bill

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

ThomasPaine posted:

I have type 1 diabetes and it was like 10-15 quid iirc, but I concede if you're being wheeled around in an iron lung with stage 4 cancer it may be slightly pricier

I didn't mean that to come across as a snap to you, but to the situation in general. I have a few severely disabled friends who are really struggling to cope with the thought that they are probably going to be trapped on this island for the rest of their lives. The mental therapy of being able to leave this poo poo hole for 1-2 weeks is immeasurable, as will be the effects of that door being closed.

I'm probably priced out myself too, but as I don't have the health to travel, I'm already resigned to going down with the Titanic. I guess if I ever leave this country, it'll be as a fleeing refugee.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

lol PMQs was pretty spicy today

Starms pressed back on the government corruption and when Johnson tried to be like WELL WHAT ABOUT YOU the speaker stopped him, multiple times, before finally saying he was bringing the house into disrepute. BBC News afterwards was shocked at how unusual it was for Hoyle to interject himself into house business and this implied that Johnson was being a right oval office.

also johnson accidentally it seems said he'd release all documents related to the Raddox(?) contract, having presumably just meant to say those documents cleared them of wrongdoing

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

fuctifino posted:

I didn't mean that to come across as a snap to you, but to the situation in general. I have a few severely disabled friends who are really struggling to cope with the thought that they are probably going to be trapped on this island for the rest of their lives. The mental therapy of being able to leave this poo poo hole for 1-2 weeks is immeasurable, as will be the effects of that door being closed.

I'm probably priced out myself too, but as I don't have the health to travel, I'm already resigned to going down with the Titanic. I guess if I ever leave this country, it'll be as a fleeing refugee.

Yeah obviously for very severely disabled people it's going to be a lot more. Maybe Gibraltar will develop a flourishing new tourist industry from the UK to take advantage of the new barriers to the EU.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

fuctifino posted:

or be over 60
or to have smoked (without inhaling) about 10 cigs between the ages of 10-30 (so over 30 years ago) and for the insurance cos to write you off as an 'ex-smoker'.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Breaking news: photo of the Queen released

How long can this charade continue

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Flayer posted:

loving lol. Said pic:

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
loving die already.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Flayer posted:

Yeah I'm gonna need to see a today's-date newspaper and some pixel analysis

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

loving hell...

https://twitter.com/IsabelOakeshott/status/1460925253832646661

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Red Oktober posted:

Isn't that how it should be though?

And regarding the Amazon/Visa thing - I expect both sides will reach a new agreement, probably along the lines of the ones they currently have. My guess is that Amazon is more valuable to Visa than the other way around, but who knows.

I don't think Visa will be worried about losing Amazon sales per se - while they're obviously a major customer I'm willing to bet it's still less than 1%, and probably not even 0.1%, of the payments they process, while probably over 50% of Amazon sales are through Visa just based on market share so on paper it seems like a pretty lop-sided fight, but the wider game is that Amazon are starting to work on being a payment processor in their own right and Visa would really rather Amazon didn't come barreling into that market, especially in partnership with either Mastercard or Amex who they have close ties with. Doing so would let them get into card issuing and merchant services, and I'm certain the idea of shaving a couple of percent off a retail sale on the other side of the world completely unconnected to Amazon gives Bezos a semi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

fuctifino posted:

Looking forward to worried reports from Sangatte of a solar-powered refugee raft somehow making a smokescreen like the HMS King George V.