Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Thanks all - and yeah, I wasn't complaining about the Bloodthirster, I do understand it isn't on quite the same level as Archaon, Morathi, Teclis et al. It did indeed go down eventually despite the Heroic Recovery action being used a couple times. Its particular command ability (I think my friend said it was its command trait as his general) to fight twice, immediately, was very intimidating though!

My Doombull and Chaos Lord between them wee eventually able to bring it down, although he was extremely unlucky not to kill both of them when he attacked, Finest Hour on my Doombull combined with 2 luck saves is all that kept me in it.

Minotaurs (bullgors) are insane damage dealers BTW. That is sort of what puzzles me when just starting this game. I was never a competitive WHFB player but I was quite read up on the rules and it all sort of made sense to me, some units had lances or great weapons, some had sword & shield, I'd kind of internalised what they did and had an idea of how killy units were based on their appearance and reputation. Now it's just a strange new world of discrete warscrolls. For example, Chaos Chosen, as tough or less tough than Warriors for more points, don't seem that much more killy. Exalted Champions, which I'd sort of figured would be like Lords just a bit less so, have a very random D6 attacks. Why? I haven't yet arrived at the point where it all makes sense to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Winklebottom posted:

40k has a (so far) very accurate leaked release plan going around but I haven't seen one (or at least one that seems to be accurate) for AoS. There were some rumors about Gitz, Ogors and Beasts of Chaos battletomes at some point, I think?

There was a rumor floating around a few months back about nurgle, ogors, gitz and beasts the first batch of battletomes and with the nurgle book coming out that seems like it might be correct.

Gitz need help so bad that I certainly hope they get an update soon. Models that good shouldnt have rules that bad.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Gits and Beasts definitely need some buffs, Idoneth…are doing okay I guess but oh lord is their book old.

Ogors ime are doing quite well right now but I won’t complain about my large adult sons getting more love.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

AnEdgelord posted:

There was a rumor floating around a few months back about nurgle, ogors, gitz and beasts the first batch of battletomes and with the nurgle book coming out that seems like it might be correct.

Gitz need help so bad that I certainly hope they get an update soon. Models that good shouldnt have rules that bad.

it is time for segmapede

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Genghis Cohen posted:

Minotaurs (bullgors) are insane damage dealers BTW. That is sort of what puzzles me when just starting this game. I was never a competitive WHFB player but I was quite read up on the rules and it all sort of made sense to me, some units had lances or great weapons, some had sword & shield, I'd kind of internalised what they did and had an idea of how killy units were based on their appearance and reputation. Now it's just a strange new world of discrete warscrolls. For example, Chaos Chosen, as tough or less tough than Warriors for more points, don't seem that much more killy. Exalted Champions, which I'd sort of figured would be like Lords just a bit less so, have a very random D6 attacks. Why? I haven't yet arrived at the point where it all makes sense to me.
Look, I will not lie to you - a lot of stuff does not make sense and a lot of legacy units like the ones you mentioned have very little thought put into them. However, once you play more some stuff will click in place for you, I think.

Myself, I've been watching Conquest battle reports for the past two days and still can't make sense of how balance works in that game, so I imagine this is true for any tabletop game.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
I would love a Gitz update except for the nine other armies I have sitting around to build and paint. I don’t know if I could turn down such great models AND good rules.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Yeah Gitz being good would wreck my wallet but they seem both dead-set on it being the goofy RNG army and also completely incapable of making a heavily RNG-dependent army even remotely competitive.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Yeah Gitz being good would wreck my wallet but they seem both dead-set on it being the goofy RNG army and also completely incapable of making a heavily RNG-dependent army even remotely competitive.

Idk they've had success with the concept in the past. Skaven in whfb 8th edition were downright broken and Orks have been good in 40k for two editions in a row.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
So I recently purchased the Stormcast start collecting box in order to get the mandatory Lord-Relictor for my army plus some bonus goodies and now that it has arrived I've noticed a huge problem with the box. There are only three Paladin in the box but all the Paladin units that the kit can assemble have a minimum unit size of 5. Is there somewhere I can get the last two models to fill out the unit? They're pretty much useless without those two models.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

AnEdgelord posted:

So I recently purchased the Stormcast start collecting box in order to get the mandatory Lord-Relictor for my army plus some bonus goodies and now that it has arrived I've noticed a huge problem with the box. There are only three Paladin in the box but all the Paladin units that the kit can assemble have a minimum unit size of 5. Is there somewhere I can get the last two models to fill out the unit? They're pretty much useless without those two models.

There used to be a box that filled out the units in the original.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

AnEdgelord posted:

Sadly, you are out of luck since right now there is no set that would help you fill that out (soul wars had a similar problem). With is a shame since retributors are really solid n

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Heya folks. There's six days left to sign up for trad games secret santa! Just spreading the word, since most folks don't browse the main TG forum.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

AnEdgelord posted:

you might be able to snag some single models on eBay?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/11/17/become-a-lord-arcanum-and-wield-the-power-of-the-storm-in-this-new-vr-game/

VR FPS as a Stormcast vs ghosts.

Gonna be honest my first response is “that looks like a really old FPS” but VR isn’t really my thing.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Mors Rattus posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/11/17/become-a-lord-arcanum-and-wield-the-power-of-the-storm-in-this-new-vr-game/

Gonna be honest my first response is “that looks like a really old FPS” but VR isn’t really my thing.

It looks fine, most VR game look worse than that... not everything is Half-life: Alyx.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Huh, this is out later today? Neat, I might check it out.

And yeah VR games tend to look pretty dated in flatscreen screenshots and videos, simply because they have to render the game twice in smooth 60 fps, preferably higher so polygon counts and fancy graphics effects have to be kept to a minimum compared to regular games.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Could've sworn that game was announced ages ago.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Cooked Auto posted:

Could've sworn that game was announced ages ago.

There was a Sisters of Battle one that came out earlier. Though now that you mention it I think the Lord Arcanum one was one of the trailers shown during a Warhammer/Blood God day earlier this year.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah that was probably what I was thinking of because I have vague memories of seeing a trailer for some Stormcast Vr game.
Just too lazy to try looking for it. :v:

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I'm gonna be playing my first game of Age of Sigmar V3.0 tonight! Deepkin vs Kruleboyz at 1000 points! I'll let y'all know how it goes.

Ugly John
Jul 18, 2009
[img]https://forums.somethingawful.com/attachment.php?postid=514899866[/img]

AnEdgelord posted:

Idk they've had success with the concept in the past. Skaven in whfb 8th edition were downright broken and Orks have been good in 40k for two editions in a row.

There was a point in time a couple years ago where Skaven had this role again and were really good (not broken, but still); unfortunately, they've been nerfed *hard* since then, and have one of the worst win rates now

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/11/14/champions-of-chaos-middle-earth-and-necromunda-are-inbound-in-this-weeks-sunday-preview/

For those who really wanted the Holga Clovenhorn model, here's your chance because it'll be available next weekend on the webstore, with no pre-order window.
I've never bought pre-order or limited release stuff from GW before, do I need to be slamming my refresh key on Friday at midnight to get one of these?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Not usually. They go up on a Saturday afternoon EST and typically will have a promise that if you get in during the window you will get the thing because they’re made to order.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
I made an SA Mart thread with a bunch of Warhammer stuff. Mostly AoS/Warcry/Underworlds, and lots of Kruleboyz.

I've come to realize I'll probably never do matched play. I'm happy to collect + paint a "good army" (old-school dwarfs, gyrocopters, elves) and "bad army" (orks, goblins, ghosts, skeletons) and maybe mash them against one another in open play with a friend once in a great while.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Covermeinsunshine posted:

Look, I will not lie to you - a lot of stuff does not make sense and a lot of legacy units like the ones you mentioned have very little thought put into them. However, once you play more some stuff will click in place for you, I think.

Myself, I've been watching Conquest battle reports for the past two days and still can't make sense of how balance works in that game, so I imagine this is true for any tabletop game.

Thanks for that mate. As you say, I'm sure that while it may be random numbers from a dartboard for some older models, the wider picture makes some kind of sense.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

I made an SA Mart thread with a bunch of Warhammer stuff. Mostly AoS/Warcry/Underworlds, and lots of Kruleboyz.

I've come to realize I'll probably never do matched play. I'm happy to collect + paint a "good army" (old-school dwarfs, gyrocopters, elves) and "bad army" (orks, goblins, ghosts, skeletons) and maybe mash them against one another in open play with a friend once in a great while.

Cursed City? drat

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
AoS 3 trip report - turns out if you give deepkin a short board, a bunch of 14" flying units with tons of attacks fly across the table and murder things. Those poor Kruleboyz never stood a chance. We forgot tons of rules and had a great time. :)

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Mors Rattus posted:

this poo poo looks awful lol

edit: the way to beat this game is to use the same motion you use to pull the skull off the skeleton's head to take your $600 vr headset off and throw it in the trash

Business Gorillas fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Nov 18, 2021

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Business Gorillas posted:

this poo poo looks awful lol

edit: the way to beat this game is to use the same motion you use to pull the skull off the skeleton's head to take your $600 vr headset off and throw it in the trash

What looks so awful about it?

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.
Yeah looks p bog standard VR to me.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

The only complaint have is that I can't improve my beat saber scores with it

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

TK_Nyarlathotep posted:

Yeah looks p bog standard VR to me.

if this is VR then throw VR in the trash too

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/11/18/these-warhammer-age-of-sigmar-battleforces-are-the-perfect-gift-from-the-mortal-realms

The new Battleforces have been revealed. As well as, Vangaurd, the AoS equivalent to the Combat Patrol boxes.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/11/18/these-warhammer-age-of-sigmar-battleforces-are-the-perfect-gift-from-the-mortal-realms

The new Battleforces have been revealed. As well as, Vangaurd, the AoS equivalent to the Combat Patrol boxes.
Vanguard box looks decent, but battle forces are kinda mess. I guess they are good from a company (or if you want to have a piece of everything) point of view because you can't form a cohesive force but can go anywhere from there.

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

The Soulblight box is pretty great, all stuff that gets played at all levels. The OBR box is a solid start to an army. The other two boxes will probably be fine value but are a mess in competitive terms. At least all those Slaanesh sculpts are pretty great and one can get it and hope they do the right thing for them at the next points update

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team
Had they traded out the Bone Catapult for the "Dude sitting in the Walking Leg Chair," that OBR box would've been the perfect "Not gonna play this army, but I love all these models" box for me.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Soulblight is by far the best one. You will use everything in there except maybe the skeletons and even then you may end up using them eventually since the only thing holding them back is zombies being better at their job.

All the other ones seem kinda middling, especially the Slaanesh one. Though thats probably because every unit in the Slaanesh Battletome sucks.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Battleforces tend to be pretty scattershot. The Idoneth one a while back had a collection of units that weren't great at the time but are better now.

I'm interested in the Vanguard boxes and how they will shake out, especially from my perspective where the Idoneth points values are bizzare. They won't be competitive necessarily - the Combat Patrol Boxes on the 40k side aren't. But they're good to have something to build and put on the table.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

New battleforces look great, too bad I already have all the models of the armies I like :(

Business Gorillas posted:

if this is VR then throw VR in the trash too
Facebook did it for me when they bricked my Oculus Rift :dumb:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

No Orruk battleforce is sad :(