Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

Unless they sell a dongle that would plug into the USB port of the car to make it wireless.

Or they make it so the MagSafe cable can transport data too (probably can’t).

Neither of those are ideal.

Witless CarPlay uses GPS data from the head unit fed to the phone over wifi. This stops your phone battery getting chewed up.

Also means that Apple air beacons or whatever they are that they use for localised data (like gps assist in tunnels) doesn't work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The tech to make magsafe handle data is there, though it would complicate case manufacture. Those copper contacts the ipad uses for the magic keyboard would be the way to do it.

Though knowing apple they'd make some new proprietary short range "usb over wifi/bluetooth" tech where you put the phone on a magsafe pad and it connects with the charge station automatically.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
It's likely gonna be some 60.5GHz short range bullshit. They apparently put a transmitter in the AW7 already.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Question Mark Mound posted:

Remember when widgets were useful and you do things like check off reminders from them?

What the poo poo is with this 2nd image lol?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I'm guessing it's supposed to be a meme.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Have to say I feel sorry for people who use their phones so much they find the 13 mini's battery life too short. I feel like I use my phone pretty regularly and it still lasts me at least two days on a charge.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Have to say I feel sorry for people who use their phones so much they find the 13 mini's battery life too short. I feel like I use my phone pretty regularly and it still lasts me at least two days on a charge.

Have you considered big phone > small phone???

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Have you considered big phone > small phone???

:hmmyes:

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Is anyone else getting a weird effect since the update where icons have moved a long way up the screen, to the point where you can’t press them?

For instance when trying to share a picture in WhatsApp you can see the X, edit and rotate rows are all at the very top of the screen so you can’t actually press them. I can’t work out if I’m the only one with this, or if I just can’t work out the right words to search for!

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Red Oktober posted:

Is anyone else getting a weird effect since the update where icons have moved a long way up the screen, to the point where you can’t press them?

For instance when trying to share a picture in WhatsApp you can see the X, edit and rotate rows are all at the very top of the screen so you can’t actually press them. I can’t work out if I’m the only one with this, or if I just can’t work out the right words to search for!

Which update? I just tried Whatsapp on ios 15.1 and it looks okay. It also shows the contact name in the bottom right. I'm on an 11pro

Edit: oh wait there's an update pending for Whatsapp on the store. Let me see what happens

Edit 2: still working okay for me. Sorry

Kia Soul Enthusias fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Nov 14, 2021

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

cage-free egghead posted:

I'm guessing it's supposed to be a meme.
It was so common in my group as a “I really want this thing that isn’t around any more” image that I thought it was ubiquitous and now I’m wondering if it was just a tiny in-joke that isn’t that well known.

Point stands, I want usable reminders widgets back. :(

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Honestly I was hoping for Apple to update widgets further in iOS15 but I guess that’s just not as important.

I would like the option to have clickable widgets I can do stuff with. Not just buttons to open apps.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Whenever I connect to an AirPlay device the volume goes to 50%.

Any way to stop this?

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Charles posted:

Which update? I just tried Whatsapp on ios 15.1 and it looks okay. It also shows the contact name in the bottom right. I'm on an 11pro

Edit: oh wait there's an update pending for Whatsapp on the store. Let me see what happens

Edit 2: still working okay for me. Sorry

15.02 and now 15.1, maybe it is just me and that's why I can't find it. Oh well! Thanks for checking. (Mine also shows the contact name but I cut it out for privacy)

Question Mark Mound posted:

It was so common in my group as a “I really want this thing that isn’t around any more” image that I thought it was ubiquitous and now I’m wondering if it was just a tiny in-joke that isn’t that well known.

Point stands, I want usable reminders widgets back. :(

My group use it a lot as well. Assuming we're not in the same one.

Red Oktober fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Nov 14, 2021

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

endlessmonotony posted:

Whenever I connect to an AirPlay device the volume goes to 50%.

Any way to stop this?

iOS remembers the volume of every device you've had connected, BT/Airplay or plugged in. or are you saying that it is not remembering where you left the volume for that airplay target?

e: can you customise the weather app tiles at all? I want UV index up near the top because Im a pasty-white motherfucker and my summer life is dictated by how long I can spend outdoors during the day.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Laserface posted:

iOS remembers the volume of every device you've had connected, BT/Airplay or plugged in. or are you saying that it is not remembering where you left the volume for that airplay target?

It sure isn't. It resets to 50%, every time, on reconnect.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Anyone else heard of cellular modem issues with a 12 pro max?

My phone will randomly show full 5G connection but acts like it has no connection. Everything times out. Switching to airplane mode on and off doesn’t fix it. Connecting to WiFi will cause all my missed messages and emails to come flying in.

Rebooting the phone seems to be the only fix. It’s happening a few times a week now.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

iOS 15 deffo does a number on the battery if you're running an Xs.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

incoherent posted:

iOS 15 deffo does a number on the battery if you're running an Xs.

My XS's battery is just fine on 15.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Luceo posted:

My XS's battery is just fine on 15.

:same:

The battery is 3 years old now and I was planning on getting a battery swap around this time but there hasn't been a need. Granted, I'm still at home 95% of the time so that might play in to it.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

I had an iPhone X that was really struggling around release time of the 13, due to battery age. These chemicals just don't last. I would suggest a genius appointment and polite complaining to the genius, or just paying for a battery swap if it is annoying you that much. I would have just opted for a new phone though vs. a battery swap, but that's because I really wanted a new phone.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

My SE 2 is telling me it needs a battery replacement, but also says the battery has 91% capacity? That seems strange.

I mean the battery life is poo poo but I’m not sure an extra 9% is going to be worth it, already been thinking about ditching it for something with more stamina.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Glimpse posted:

My SE 2 is telling me it needs a battery replacement, but also says the battery has 91% capacity? That seems strange.

I mean the battery life is poo poo but I’m not sure an extra 9% is going to be worth it, already been thinking about ditching it for something with more stamina.

There could be some other sort of malfunction in the battery. At the very least I'd take it to an Apple store. Depending on the malfunction you could qualify for a free replacement.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

In 2020 my iphone 8+ told me the battery needed to be replaced right around 90% capacity as well, but it was ~3 years old at that point so it could’ve had more problems than just capacity, like trouble with current/voltage drop under load. I think I remember a message about it not being able to provide peak performance in the battery settings page, or something like that. I just took it to best buy and paid $50 to replace it. If you plan to keep that phone another year or more, definitely get it replaced. If you’re going to replace the phone soon anyway, then don’t bother.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Glimpse posted:

Keep in mind it’s not a 1:1 time thing. By the time cell phone batteries hit the mid 80s you might be lucky to get like 2 hours of SOT.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

What is it measuring then? The max voltage it hits compared to the expected max voltage? That's the only way I'd expect to see such a small change result in such a large shift to available capacity.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, my 12 Pro battery life went to poo poo ever since it hit 90%, and I get that from a lot of customers as a threshold too.

By went to poo poo, I mean it probably wouldn’t get through the day without a charge once or twice. It def gets down to 50-70% battery life a lot quicker than normal (and then I charge it).

If I was keeping it another year I would get the battery replaced for sure. It would be worth $80. I’m lucky where I work at home, so I can better manage when it’s charged, and I’m hoping for a promo on the 13 pro to update in the next week or so, so I def do not think it’s worth staying at 90% battery life. Replace battery or upgrade phone.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
Big news for those who love tinkering and then bricking their phones:

https://www.theverge.com/2021/11/17/22787144/apple-home-repair-iphone-mac-parts-tools-instructions

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

This is surprising and really good.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

That's huge. But I wonder how much some of those components cost. I know from when I did AASP poo poo parts weren't cheap.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

it would be funny as hell if building an iphone out of replacement parts ended up being like $20 cheaper than buying one

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Clark Nova posted:

it would be funny as hell if building an iphone out of replacement parts ended up being like $20 cheaper than buying one

I don't know if that's what will happen for the iPhone. This could change, but I'm looking on GSX right now and the only real parts they have are batteries and displays. The battery for my 12 Pro is $69 and the screen is $319.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Clark Nova posted:

You know there is someone out there mad enough to do it too.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Here's the press release

Interesting that Apple is pitching this as direct-to-consumer repair and not making these available to 3rd party repair shops or places like iFixIt? Or am I just reading that wrong because they mention AASPs later in the press release

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Jose Oquendo posted:

I don't know if that's what will happen for the iPhone. This could change, but I'm looking on GSX right now and the only real parts they have are batteries and displays. The battery for my 12 Pro is $69 and the screen is $319.

The article specifically mentions only parts like displays and batteries. You’re not gonna be changing iPhone logic board or SoC in your mom’s basement

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

FCKGW posted:

Here's the press release

Interesting that Apple is pitching this as direct-to-consumer repair and not making these available to 3rd party repair shops or places like iFixIt? Or am I just reading that wrong because they mention AASPs later in the press release

I think the fact that it says specifically to consumers means that repair shops won’t have access, which makes sense for them. Provide consumers the option to repair themselves or go an Apple-approved route. Otherwise it’s a third party making money on a service they provide

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
After upgrading to a 13 pro, my phone no longer notifies me for text messages if the screen is off or dimmed, and it's not sending them to my watch either. The notification shows on the lock screen for the phone, not in the drawer for the watch. It's really weird. Calls and other notifications seem to work as expected. I turned imessage off and on, reset network settings, and double checked that notifications are enabled but nothing's worked so far. Once I reset network settings it started to vibrate for the incoming texts again if the phone's screen is on and it's unlocked, but not if it's off or dimmed. When it's dimmed the banner still drops down though.

Any ideas short of starting everything over?

edit: this is on 15.1 and was happening before the 15.1 upgrade too. I'm not sure when it started happening I just thought I was missing the notifications so it may have been since I got the phone.

powderific fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Nov 17, 2021

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Zil posted:

You know there is someone out there mad enough to do it too.

I'd do it except for all the glue in there

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Clark Nova posted:

I'd do it except for all the glue in there

This is someone's big opportunity to make their earth friendly iphone case, held together with screws. Just buy some apple guts and bolt it in to your 3d printed inch thick case.

Think of all the applause you'll get on ifixit!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

One day I will use a Biodegradable iPhone