Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

ultrafilter posted:

Everyone is either in denial or counting on being able to get out before the bubble pops.

There's also being a true believer. That's different from being in denial. Genuinely insane assumptions about how the world works, where all the obvious flaws don't matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

funeral home DJ posted:

The Pittsburgh Penguins’ “Consol Arena” was named after a coal company that went bust after a few years, which is still loving hilarious. Imagine being in a coal company and thinking not only that coal will go on forever but that you’ve got money to burn strapping your name on an arena. Fools and their money, etc. etc.

TBH Pennsylvania bringing back the console wars in the mainstream/having a Coalcoin just because the city of Miami is doing it is entirely on brand

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

funeral home DJ posted:

Whoever the goon was that pointed out that, in theory, you could have two NFTs pointed at the same target URL, you fuckin’ nailed it my friend.

https://twitter.com/NFTtheft/status/1460688714129035270?s=20

To summarize the article:

1) Some dipshit coiner(s) makes another dumb ape “project” (baby ape no I’m not kidding)for money laundering purposes.

2) 3 days later, another scammer buys another NFT project, gives it an identical “baby ape” name and points the Opensea url to the same loving image. Opensea just takes the money and runs with it without a care.

3) idiot coiners see that the baby apes are a great pyramid scheme / money laundering target investment because coiners are dumb as gently caress, however, some coiners start buying into the “fake” baby apes instead of the real deal. Due to the urls pointing at the same target and the images being identical it ends up being hard to tell who is the real deal

4) scammers make off with loads of etherium from the other scammers

Holy gently caress, this is the dumbest thing.

How does one even tell which one is the "real deal" if they're functionally identical?

Rotacixe
Oct 21, 2008

There Bias Two posted:

How does one even tell which one is the "real deal" if they're functionally identical?

I'm launching TrustCoin tokens for decentralized vetting.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

There Bias Two posted:

Woah thats a whole lot of FUD Im seeing here

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

There Bias Two posted:

None of them were ever real

Justa Dandelion
Nov 27, 2020

[sobbing] Look at the circles under my eyes. I haven't slept in weeks!

Hey! Now someone else also has the same pretend ape picture as me! What the heck?!

Honestly though I do think a low fee network could do a cool decentralized digital music market with NFTs. The functionality would be getting rid of the blood sucking middlemen in the music industry. The draw/pitch to users would be, hey if you want these artists to not starve maybe consider buying their art instead of streaming it. It probably wouldn't work because most people really like not valuing artistic labor.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

So, Bandcamp but with crypto stapled on?

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Justa Dandelion posted:

Hey! Now someone else also has the same pretend ape picture as me! What the heck?!

Honestly though I do think a low fee network could do a cool decentralized digital music market with NFTs. The functionality would be getting rid of the blood sucking middlemen in the music industry. The draw/pitch to users would be, hey if you want these artists to not starve maybe consider buying their art instead of streaming it. It probably wouldn't work because most people really like not valuing artistic labor.

The biggest problem is that it is not technically feasible to store things like music catalogues on the blockchain. The nature of the technology means that any data you put on there requires an exponentially greater amount of storage from nodes on the network, since so many of them will need to keep copies of the blocks. (It's basically the opposite of the way things currently work, where a single file on a server can be accessed by many users on different computers. Instead, a single file on the blockchain has to be stored on many different servers running the blockchain nodes, but will only be able to be accessed by one user.) So you end up with needing to keep the actual music file in an AWS bucket, and at that point you're just doing NFTs but with MP3s instead of PNGs.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Come now, it could be Bandcamp with crypto DRM.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

LanceHunter posted:

Based on what happened last time, they'll be able to end the naming rights early for pennies on the dollar.

Enron: *Changes company name to Astros Field*

"AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA-

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwFiWZzAlRU

quote:

Alisa Verkuijl
59 minutes ago
My 2 cents to people who can't get with NFTs: So I understand NFTs aren't environmentally friendly. But musicians never got as much poo poo for flying on tour, even though it's a lot less environmentally friendly than NFTs. But I don't remember people with pitchforks standing at musicians doorsteps for using planes. I honestly believe that in a few years NFTs are gonna be pretty much mandatory for independent musicians, just as tours tbh. Hopefully by then they will be more sustainable but if not: remember to put it into perspective with planes on tour, instruments made in Asia and flew to our doorsteps etc. which are also bad, but we still need them. If not solved by then, I hope lots of artists will compensate for NFTs impact by offsetting their footprint by planting trees etc.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

funeral home DJ posted:

Whoever the goon was that pointed out that, in theory, you could have two NFTs pointed at the same target URL, you fuckin’ nailed it my friend.

It would be more fun to watch idiots scamming Dunning Krugerrands out of each other if not for the massive waste involved. Also them loving up electronics markets.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

A better comparison would be if they decided to burn a forest down to power a recording studio for a day, rather than comparing the environmental toll for flying musicians on tour and whatever NFTs think they do.

Which is “everything” to coiners

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

zedprime posted:

Come now, it could be Bandcamp with crypto DRM.

i don't think anyone involved in crypto is capable of programming functional DRM.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

since when has DRM needed to be functional?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Or programmed?

Justa Dandelion
Nov 27, 2020

[sobbing] Look at the circles under my eyes. I haven't slept in weeks!

Bandcamp takes an absurd percentage of your revenue though. Adding on paypal fees and you're only walking with ~68% of your sales.

E: to be clear though, I too believe NFTs are dumb as poo poo.

Justa Dandelion fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Nov 17, 2021

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Zil posted:

I understand that those that are barely scraping by might need to resort to this when first getting an apartment, but I don't think they brag about it. Plus its coiners so its okay to point and laugh.

https://twitter.com/CoinersTakingLs/status/1460838711885635588

It's not that they can't afford better, it's that every dollar spent on anything that isn't an absolute necessity is a dollar that's not (supposedly) earning massive gains in crypto markets

One of the reason the Albanian Ponzi Collapse became the Albanian Civil War was because a lot of people had sold or mortgaged their very livelihoods to put more money into the money-go-up machine. Farmers were selling their livestock and seed and putting the money into the schemes, because the Ponzis were offering far greater rates of return than they could get from agriculture. Many people were selling their houses to get more money to invest in these schemes.

Faced with absurd rates of return with no apparent limits or downsides, some people weren't satisfied with just putting their spare money into the scheme. The more money they put in, the more the gains would compound and the faster number would go up, so they sold everything they could afford to sell - they figured could always buy better stuff later after they'd cashed out their amazing gains and become incredibly wealthy! Or so they thought, right up until the schemes collapsed and all the money was lost.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Justa Dandelion posted:

Bandcamp takes an absurd percentage of your revenue though. Adding on paypal fees and you're only walking with ~68% of your sales.

Bandcamp host the music plus handles the sale.
Any kind of crypto version would have similar if not higher fees.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Main Paineframe posted:

It's not that they can't afford better, it's that every dollar spent on anything that isn't an absolute necessity is a dollar that's not (supposedly) earning massive gains in crypto markets

One of the reason the Albanian Ponzi Collapse became the Albanian Civil War was because a lot of people had sold or mortgaged their very livelihoods to put more money into the money-go-up machine. Farmers were selling their livestock and seed and putting the money into the schemes, because the Ponzis were offering far greater rates of return than they could get from agriculture. Many people were selling their houses to get more money to invest in these schemes.

Faced with absurd rates of return with no apparent limits or downsides, some people weren't satisfied with just putting their spare money into the scheme. The more money they put in, the more the gains would compound and the faster number would go up, so they sold everything they could afford to sell - they figured could always buy better stuff later after they'd cashed out their amazing gains and become incredibly wealthy! Or so they thought, right up until the schemes collapsed and all the money was lost.

People will read this and say “well the stock market” but unlike Ponzi schemes and crypto poo poo, equities are based in part on actual economic performance and you have rights as a shareholder. Also buying or selling a stock doesn’t turn a jungle into a hosed-to-death pile of ash

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

jokes posted:

Also buying or selling a stock doesn’t turn a jungle into a hosed-to-death pile of ash
Sounds like some body is buying the lame-o stocks.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The company might, but the act of buying or selling the company’s stock doesn’t.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The phrasing you are looking for is that Bitcoin has an outsize effect on the environment dollar for dollar (even ignoring any utility real or imagined for Bitcoin or other securities).

Finance is not without function (hopefully) and your impacts from buying the wrong stock range from implicitly acknowledging and encouraging torching the rainforest by increasing demand on the existing coupons related to rainforest torchers to explicit enabling by taking on the debts or coupons of the companies and polities doing the torching.

The calculus is a little easier on Bitcoin cause it's not really doing anything on the side so you don't need to worry about buying the wrong Bitcoin since they are all wrong.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

jokes posted:

People will read this and say “well the stock market” but unlike Ponzi schemes and crypto poo poo, equities are based in part on actual economic performance and you have rights as a shareholder. Also buying or selling a stock doesn’t turn a jungle into a hosed-to-death pile of ash

The stock market is pretty bad right now, but during the height of the Albanian Ponzi craze, the rates of return were in a whole different world. Part of the problem is that the different Ponzis started competing against each other, promising more and more unrealistic rates of return in an effort to win customers from each other. By the time of the collapse, Sude was offering to double your money in two months, and Xhaferri was offering to triple your initial investment in three months. Interest rates of 30+% every month are straight-up absurd.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zil posted:

I understand that those that are barely scraping by might need to resort to this when first getting an apartment, but I don't think they brag about it. Plus its coiners so its okay to point and laugh.

Strong vibes of:

https://youtu.be/9Tp9HfY_EMw

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Zil posted:

why rent or pay for all that waste space? also why dont they take a temp hit on coin gains and cash out and then buy the local power company and then give themseleves free power so they can turn 99% of their room into mining?

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Justa Dandelion posted:

What?

https://get.bandcamp.help/hc/en-us/articles/1500006084082-What-are-Bandcamp-s-fees-

Just lol if you think 15% is high for an online portal.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Justa Dandelion posted:

The NFT doesn't replace any of the things Bandcamp does, though, it simply adds yet another service requiring an outside middleman who'll want their own cut on top of the existing ones. But while, say, Paypal adds a significant convenience and accessibility factor that means more sales in the end, I'm not clear at all on what NFTs would contribute in exchange.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Justa Dandelion posted:

I'd like to see numbers on that compared to the big distributors that provide music to other digital stores, Bandcamp's cut always sounded reasonable to me.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

yeah 1/3 is a super light cut for any medium, Bandcamp's whole niche is the bare minimum services you need to get your music up for sale (they're not gonna do a lot of promotion, say) at a margin no other "publisher" can compete with. You could theoretically keep a little more of a percentage self-hosting, but it wouldn't be worth it unless one of your band members is a web developer with an extremely poor assessment of the value of his time, and naturally you're hosed as far as card processing etc. go

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

drk posted:

i can't twitter good so I cant seem to link this directly, but here an actual copyright lawyer explains why NFT "contracts" really aren't, using the BAYC/MAYC terms as an example

I read that, as difficult as it is on a phone, because I am not a lawyer, but understand just enough legalisms to enjoy this stuff when real lawyers chime in. Or like reading a document to pick out a Federal Judge have to say “buttcoin” on the record.

This exchange was great!

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

funeral home DJ posted:

4) scammers make off with loads of etherium from the other scammers.

I can appreciate the scam, but are they really any better off now? I mean, is it not public like BTC, or can you “cash out” a percentage (fixer gets a cut) enough to live decently for a year or three like a decent lifestyle with pocket money? I always hear about the eth millionaires from jpgs but don’t know about eth like I do butts, because I always just figured it was like Litecoin or something.

Edit:
I’m not 100% ignorant of eth, just mainly that it was the reason gpus are evaporated and it was popular and “new” enough for a shitcoin to be like doge (in and out and in fashion). Is eth different than Litecoin or monero, or just the one the NFT stuff happened to be using when thought up?

DerekSmartymans fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Nov 17, 2021

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Ethereum is different in that you can write programs that are on the blockchain and can do "smart" stuff, like tokens and NFTs and lending and losing all your money due to programming errors. In contrast, the scripting in Bitcoin is so basic you can't really do anything fancy except send coins back and forth. Litecoin is just a Bitcoin clone. Monero is different in that it's built from the ground up with anonymity as a basis, and uses all this fancy cryptography tech to obscure where and how much money is being sent.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

ymgve posted:

Ethereum is different in that you can write programs that are on the blockchain and can do "smart" stuff, like tokens and NFTs and lending and losing all your money due to programming errors. In contrast, the scripting in Bitcoin is so basic you can't really do anything fancy except send coins back and forth. Litecoin is just a Bitcoin clone. Monero is different in that it's built from the ground up with anonymity as a basis, and uses all this fancy cryptography tech to obscure where and how much money is being sent.

Ok that was all the stuff I did already know. Like the main use of BTC (crime) losing to Monero and my own Dad is asking about Litecoin (b/c PayPal :argh), and I knew enough of Eth to laugh at the DAO “hack (code is law, unless we fork it),” so I was more aware than I thought. This saddens me.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

PhazonLink posted:

why rent or pay for all that waste space? also why dont they take a temp hit on coin gains and cash out and then buy the local power company and then give themseleves free power so they can turn 99% of their room into mining?
What if it moons while they're buying the power company?

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

The NFT doesn't replace any of the things Bandcamp does, though, it simply adds yet another service requiring an outside middleman who'll want their own cut on top of the existing ones. But while, say, Paypal adds a significant convenience and accessibility factor that means more sales in the end, I'm not clear at all on what NFTs would contribute in exchange.

they contribute innovation

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

funeral home DJ posted:

https://twitter.com/NFTtheft/status/1460688714129035270?s=20

1) Some dipshit coiner(s) makes another dumb ape “project” (baby ape no I’m not kidding)for money laundering purposes.

2) 3 days later, another scammer buys another NFT project, gives it an identical “baby ape” name and points the Opensea url to the same loving image. Opensea just takes the money and runs with it without a care.

3) idiot coiners see that the baby apes are a great pyramid scheme / money laundering target investment because coiners are dumb as gently caress, however, some coiners start buying into the “fake” baby apes instead of the real deal. Due to the urls pointing at the same target and the images being identical it ends up being hard to tell who is the real deal

4) scammers make off with loads of etherium from the other scammers

So, hot new idea, to take this to the next level. I'm going to "mint" NFTs. The URL will be randomly pulled through existing NFTs. Just hundreds spontaneously created, all pointing at random other NFTs.

Gonna add a little tag saying I actually made them and the others are fake, just to throw them off.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

syntaxfunction posted:

So, hot new idea, to take this to the next level. I'm going to "mint" NFTs. The URL will be randomly pulled through existing NFTs. Just hundreds spontaneously created, all pointing at random other NFTs.

Gonna add a little tag saying I actually made them and the others are fake, just to throw them off.

You have to pay fees for every one you mint, so the NFT community of scammers who are washing their money with etherium would appreciate your contribution to the price of eth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
What if I just make my own Blockchain NFT thing that wholesale copies theirs?

It's all open source right? What are they gonna do, say forking a crypto thing isn't allowed?