Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: bunnyofdoom)

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Franks Happy Place posted:

The difference is that you could expect Wab Kinew or whomever to be slightly less rear end. Notley was better than Kenney, right?

We elected our Wab Notley party and they turned into Doug Ford on steroids. There's nobody to save us. If these chucklefucks lose, it will be to a MORE right wing party.

This is reminding me of that book written by the finance minister of the Nova Scotia NDP government a little while back, which I think was passed around the Alberta NDP too. Graham Steele. He wrote a lil postmortem that was basically "when in power we had to be indistinguishable from the other parties oops lol". Probably won't help you any but that seems to be the playbook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

ChickenDoodle posted:

BC: Hey some seriously hosed upped weather is happening, please advise?
The Horgan Government: “Then perish.”

Update: Mike Farnsworth doubling down on “gently caress you, save yourselves”: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/bc-flooding-analysis-farnworth-local-1.6250193

quote:

To the question of why a border community in the United States issued a warning and started sandbagging properties well before communities in B.C., he said: "At the local level, they're observing the conditions in the local area … every community is required to have a local emergency plan and deal with local emergency events."

Asked why the province didn't use the B.C. Alert system, which has sent multiple test messages to British Columbians' phones this year, Farnworth answered: "It is one tool. It is not a silver bullet."

As for the hundreds of people stuck between two landslides overnight on a minor highway in the Fraser Valley?

"The decisions on when to close a highway are made at the local level," said Farnworth, emphasizing once again that it is up to local governments to act when an emergency begins.

Look at all these tools we have! Use them? gently caress that, it costs money.

Give the municipalities a the ability to alert their constituents to an emergency? gently caress them, that’s the provinces tool.

I hate the BC libs with a passion of a thousand suns but can’t justify support of this NDP government any more. No accurate pandemic info, terrible response to the heat dome, lovely response to the fires, and a lovely response to a rain so extreme that it destroyed every major Highway in southern BC.

gently caress Horgan, gently caress Mike Farnsworth, gently caress Bonnie Henry, and gently caress everyone else.

ChickenDoodle fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Nov 16, 2021

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

In some good news:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/blood-ban-canada-changes-1.6250434

Sounds like it's being replaced with a blanket question on it you've had multiple sexual partners in the last few months, regardless of gender or sexual orientation.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

If we ever get the true covid numbers out of BC I wonder how it will actually stack up against places like Manitoba that just let the virus rampage through the populace or Ontario that just continually ended preventative measures early sparking new waves to happen (like right now holy poo poo Simcoe County schools are getting wrecked).

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Furnaceface posted:

If we ever get the true covid numbers out of BC I wonder how it will actually stack up against places like Manitoba that just let the virus rampage through the populace or Ontario that just continually ended preventative measures early sparking new waves to happen (like right now holy poo poo Simcoe County schools are getting wrecked).

unsure—tough to say without comically lovely officials and bad data really. I personally am the only BCer I know that got it, and that was because I got unbelievably unlucky right at the start of the whole thing. I'm sure there was loads of spread and way worse than was getting reported (lmao @ the "hospitalization" definition loving numbers until two months ago), but at least from anecdotes the really scary spreads were in LTCs and the interior

Mr. Mercury fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Nov 16, 2021

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
Ontario, in a staggeringly dumb COVID move, decides to let symptomatic potential COVID cases get tested at pharmacies (previously they had to go to dedicated testing centres: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/covid-19-ontario-nov-16-2021-case-counts-climb-slowing-1.6250585

It's going to be just the bee's knees picking up my immunosuppressants while a COVID case is coughing on me in line.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Look, the race for the dumbest province in Canada is really competitive right now, we're doing what we can to take the lead.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

enki42 posted:

Ontario, in a staggeringly dumb COVID move, decides to let symptomatic potential COVID cases get tested at pharmacies (previously they had to go to dedicated testing centres: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/covid-19-ontario-nov-16-2021-case-counts-climb-slowing-1.6250585

It's going to be just the bee's knees picking up my immunosuppressants while a COVID case is coughing on me in line.

Boy am I ever glad I left IT to go become a pharm tech! :suicide:

I can with 100% certainly say that Loblaws was one of the driving forces behind this decision because the Ontario PCs made them immune to liability while also letting them pick up a giant percentage of testing (for a fee of course, not a single penny of which the pharmacy staff see).

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Please. Let me tell you all about how you're all idiots. I am of superior intellect here. Go suck some dicks. You have all fucking stupid opinions. This is my fucking opinion.
Lololol cool so now I can get tested at a nofrills or a Costco? Maybe pickup a hotdog on my way out.. what a world

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
That hotdog has history behind it!

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Well, that was fast
https://twitter.com/CBCKatie/status/1460764842382475265

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
lol imagine being a canadian senator and actually thinking you have any kind of political power

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

RBC posted:

lol imagine being a canadian senator and actually thinking you have any kind of political power
it's literally the cushiest job in the world, just show up and stay quiet and cash those cheques

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

How can you stay quiet when you're forced to eat ice cold Camembert and broken crackers?

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Unfortunately there’s not actual mechanism to get rid of senate parasites. Just means they are independent parasites now.

Isn’t the Duffster still consuming public money there?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Just get the rest of the senate to bully the assholes until they leave of their own accord. Hire a few grade 8 student consultants to determine the most effective ways.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Isn’t the Duffster still consuming public money there?
He hit the mandatory retirement age earlier this year. So now he's consuming public money not being there with his pension.

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

Anyone in or with family in Sumas Prairie in Abbotsford get the gently caress out right now. (Immediate evacuation orders with significant risk to life)

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

ARACHTION posted:

Anyone in or with family in Sumas Prairie in Abbotsford get the gently caress out right now. (Immediate evacuation orders with significant risk to life)

And for the love of God don't wait

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

ARACHTION posted:

Anyone in or with family in Sumas Lake in Abbotsford get the gently caress out right now. (Immediate evacuation orders with significant risk to life)

FTFY

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

Mr. Mercury posted:

And for the love of God don't wait

Don’t wait for the poo poo rear end province to continue “thinking” about a state of emergency I want to punch Farnsworth in his loving face call the loving state of emergency you stupid gently caress

I’m so glad that all my friends and family are safe, even though I can get nowhere near them right now.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

ChickenDoodle posted:

Don’t wait for the poo poo rear end province to continue “thinking” about a state of emergency I want to punch Farnsworth in his loving face call the loving state of emergency you stupid gently caress

I’m so glad that all my friends and family are safe, even though I can get nowhere near them right now.

it is seriously un-loving-believable how absent the provincial government has been here. no emergency alerts, no planning, no state of emergency. utterly gobsmacked at this dereliction of duty. gently caress horgan, gently caress the ndp. glad i turned in my party membership months ago

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

Bowinn Ma seems to be the only one sharing the emergency alerts lol

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

ChickenDoodle posted:

No accurate pandemic info

Furnaceface posted:

Wait, what's wrong with the BC COVID stats? I tried Googling for a story and came up with nothing.

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Wait, what's wrong with the BC COVID stats? I tried Googling for a story and came up with nothing.

https://twitter.com/jheighton3/status/1460833265242181634?s=21

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

When it was being talked about a six or eight months ago people were pointing out that BC has a lotttt of unexplained excess deaths too.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
BC doesn't win "worst covid response by a province" because of the stiff competition to its east, but it handily wins "most bullshit covid response".

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

I think that's just saying kids weren't getting tested as much?

Edit: I mean, I know there's been a lot of tension around protection of teachers through COVID, but I don't think that what that teacher advocate is saying exactly reflects what the data is saying.

Lead out in cuffs fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Nov 17, 2021

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

PittTheElder posted:

When it was being talked about a six or eight months ago people were pointing out that BC has a lotttt of unexplained excess deaths too.

Do you have a link for that? I was glancing at these stats and they didn't look much different to other provinces:

https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/t1/tbl...0629%2C20210731

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I do not, I'm going 100% on rumors from this very thread

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

thehoodie posted:

it is seriously un-loving-believable how absent the provincial government has been here. no emergency alerts, no planning, no state of emergency. utterly gobsmacked at this dereliction of duty. gently caress horgan, gently caress the ndp. glad i turned in my party membership months ago

https://twitter.com/PennyDaflos/status/1460840863655874560?t=cbomVt3ac0Iu--I7A3PHlg&s=19

https://twitter.com/RobShaw_BC/status/1460835681475837954?t=W_NXullHjzOcBZ5nZrQTSg&s=19

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

PittTheElder posted:

I do not, I'm going 100% on rumors from this very thread

I'm not in here that often, but the last few pages don't give a lot of confidence in the thread's ability to parse truth from rumour.

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

I think a lot of what can be inferred from the discourse is that a lot of us have 0 faith in our government to do anything without catastrophically loving it up, ever since 500+ people died in a freak heat dome and the leader of said government brushed it off as a “fact of life”.

The communication from the government has been piss poor since they got their majority, and people are getting really, really mad about it. And if we can’t trust this government to actually declare an emergency when all roads to a major population centre are cut off due to an admitted ‘natural disaster’, how exactly are we going to deal with a tornado, or tsunami, or The Big One?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

The BCNDP can't do anything because if they do something and it doesn't turn out perfectly they will be shut out for decades. "Fast ferries" is a killing word.

Surprised they didn't declare a state of emergency when Sumas Prairie is about to become Sumas Lake once again though.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

McGavin posted:

The BCNDP can't do anything because if they do something and it doesn't turn out perfectly they will be shut out for decades. "Fast ferries" is a killing word.

Surprised they didn't declare a state of emergency when Sumas Prairie is about to become Sumas Lake once again though.

I would venture that letting a fairly large city sink into a lake and the major metro centre being cut off by land without saying much of anything is significantly worse than fast ferries, which in the end was a pretty small cost.

Let's not give them leeway for excuses. I'm not in BC anymore but I did vote for this Horgan government, and it has been far worse than I could have possibly believed.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
The BC government is basically an anti-vaxxer in their thought problems. If there's any risk to them doing something, they will not do it even if the risk of doing nothing at all is much, much higher. If the risks of doing nothing come through, then at least it's not their fault.

It's a profoundly stupid worldview but it does appear to be depressingly common!

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
https://twitter.com/fabulavancouver/status/1460995137060814851?s=20

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

These dumb BC NDP mother fuckers. The BC libs would have been sure to evacuate to then buy land and resell it as waterfront property.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

ARACHTION posted:

These dumb BC NDP mother fuckers. The BC libs would have been sure to evacuate to then buy land and resell it as waterfront property.

Do you want ants Albertans? Because that's how you get ants Albertans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

ARACHTION posted:

This is 100% accurate

Also in more cheerful news, Canada may actually make the world cup for the first time in like 30 years! Super stoked (even though the event itself is going to be an unbelievable shitshow this time around)

edit: also this has already been mentioned upthread but the current BCNDP gov is actually 'ok' overall*, while failing in a number of spectacularly lovely ways they've put through a large number of actually good policies as well (although a lot of those are stapling the province back together after years of basically being run by an organised money laundering ring), you can't really compare them to AB, MN or ONs current governments

*does not apply to anything to do with resource extraction in which they are awful

Alctel fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Nov 17, 2021