Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I can only assume that buried in the ToS for people taking up that free month offer is a clause where you waive your right to sue.

Memento has a new favorite as of 22:52 on Nov 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Travis is gonna lose his rear end after Thomas J Henry gets done with him

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Gann Jerrod posted:

https://twitter.com/inputmag/status/1458866113320824837?t=byl4FZap0PPlbkJJGqbWXA&s=19

I know that Better Help is an awful company, but how stupid do you have to be to think that giving people who were just scarred for life a 30 day trial would be a good look?

I only know Better Help as that company that put ads before every podcast I listened to last year. What makes them awful?

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Len posted:

I only know Better Help as that company that put ads before every podcast I listened to last year. What makes them awful?

For an example of what you're paying for.

https://twitter.com/eatinginmycar/status/1457893996257230850?t=SAkBZ-uY6cFo5iyfPFdyYw&s=19

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Lol is that can't be an actual person. That's an ai right

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

oh

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

That, or someone with limited English working off a script that they may not be able to fully understand. There's an overlap between "bad chat bot" and "underpaid wage slave who hasn't been given enough training."

Sometimes I say thank you to people who might be a bot, but I can't tell for sure.

SAY YOHO
Oct 5, 2021

Gaius Marius posted:

Better Help therapist Eliza

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

SAY YOHO posted:

Literally Dr Sbaitso

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

SAY YOHO posted:

I feel like I've seen this one more recently....

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Len posted:

They sell your info the big tech companies and pay bottom of the barrel rates so you're not exactly getting the best therapists. Also they have a system where therapists have a maximum amount they can be paid for a month and if they reach that limit they have to either cut off their patients or work for free.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
If you follow the Twitter link, there are several posts that shed light on BH practices. It's all news to me. I was in the process of signing up, just haven't finished the application.

Apparently therapyden.com is a good resource to find an actual licensed therapist for online or in person interactions.

Edit:
https://twitter.com/i/status/1458444704719253506

Nitrox has a new favorite as of 07:14 on Nov 12, 2021

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Therapy via text seems like some straight nonsense anyways

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Gaius Marius posted:

Therapy via text seems like some straight nonsense anyways

Nope! Sometimes you just need a little bit of affirmation and some help getting your mind right, and being able to have someone trained who can pull your case notes and help you out with very fast response time and at all hours of the day is really useful.

Also, lots of people are able to express themselves better via text, because they don't feel on the spot, are able to better think through what they've been told and don't feel as self-conscious about what they're typing as opposed to saying things out loud.

It's not necessarily a complete replacement to face-to-face interactions, but as an adjunct has been proven to be helpful.

Of course these things all cost money, and BetterHelp is a great example of how to do it in a really lovely, probably harmful way.

Memento has a new favorite as of 07:30 on Nov 12, 2021

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Nitrox posted:

therapyden.com
Had to re-read that URL a few times before I got it right 😬

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Knormal posted:

Had to re-read that URL a few times before I got it right 😬

And a ... Warm welcome to returning celebrity Jeopardy champion, Sean Connery.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

And a word from our podcast's sponsors: *reads prompt* ...oh dear hope that's not in my city

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
It's pronounced a-NALRA-pist.

Chloe Jessica
Nov 6, 2021
Pick 2.0

except they're supposed to be actual professionals and not a marketing robot

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

The new season of Star Trek Discovery comes out November 18, and its actors have been on an international convention circuit advertising that fact. Let's check in with Paramount and see how well they prepared for its release.

https://twitter.com/StarTrekOnPPlus/status/1460714359588483074

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Doggles posted:

The new season of Star Trek Discovery comes out November 18, and its actors have been on an international convention circuit advertising that fact. Let's check in with Paramount and see how well they prepared for its release.

https://twitter.com/StarTrekOnPPlus/status/1460714359588483074

It'll be like the early series' of Game of Thrones. "Gosh, Australia is pirating our show in record numbers, they really are all crooks", while there is literally no way to watch it outside North America for several months.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Memento posted:

It'll be like the early series' of Game of Thrones. "Gosh, Australia is pirating our show in record numbers, they really are all crooks", while there is literally no way to watch it outside North America for several months.

Or Netflix sticking a binge release schedule for anime that are getting a weekly release, so you can't watch it via Netflix until the show has already finished airing.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I vaguely remember the same thing with the Mandalorian; Disney screaming about pirates while people in a bunch of countries wouldn't be able to watch it legally for a year+ after it's release.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

People couldn’t legally watch Mando on day 1 because of how stressed their servers were, while it hit the usual places about 5 minutes after it dropped. You really gotta have your poo poo together these days or it’ll backfire.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
There was a huge thing on Twitter earlier this year too where some funimation voice actors were also complaining about piracy and when someone was like “there’s no legal way to watch this show in my country” they just straight up said “then you don’t get to watch it”

I’m not opposed to paying for content, but I don’t think that particular moment landed well

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

LOL, Paramount didn't even tell the cast beforehand. They found out through that tweet like the rest of us.

https://twitter.com/albinokid/status/1460811969053745158

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/lankybitch420/status/1415444103425363969?s=20

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I'm convinced its not the target audience of these ads that actually believe this bullshit. Instead, marketing companies have convinced themselves and others that it actually works to justify their continued existence. It feels like people are making fun of the wrong target.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Probably. I don't know a whole lot about the marketing industry but it seems like its own bubble, very much like techbros out in Silicon Valley who only ever talk to other techbros.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
are those ceramic rings with a pattern on top lmao

Chloe Jessica
Nov 6, 2021
Pick 2.0

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I'm convinced its not the target audience of these ads that actually believe this bullshit. Instead, marketing companies have convinced themselves and others that it actually works to justify their continued existence. It feels like people are making fun of the wrong target.

it would be enlightening to see the market research they base these designs on, but afaik they don't release that kind of thing to the public, right? if it's public their competitors can use it too, and without having to pay for it

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
"Buy one of our phones and literally every aspect of your private life, every last sanctuary and respite can be devote instead to labor."

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I absolutely believe a lot of the advertising industry is analogous to how much of social media is grifters and bots following and "interacting" exclusively with other grifters and bots, hardly a single genuine human fan involved despite the appearance of thousands.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Imagined posted:

I absolutely believe a lot of the advertising industry is analogous to how much of social media is grifters and bots following and "interacting" exclusively with other grifters and bots, hardly a single genuine human fan involved despite the appearance of thousands.

I think it was Uber that cut a seven- or eight-figure online marketing contract, and saw literally no difference...?

EDIT: It was nine figures: https://www.forbes.com/sites/augustinefou/2021/01/02/when-big-brands-stopped-spending-on-digital-ads-nothing-happened-why/?sh=66f9929f1166

Ham Equity has a new favorite as of 17:46 on Nov 17, 2021

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Phanatic posted:

"Buy one of our phones and literally every aspect of your private life, every last sanctuary and respite can be devote instead to labor."

i could go for some dumplings for dinner tonight

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

Phanatic posted:

It's also like, no I can't? A phone isn't enough to work most remote jobs, I don't care if I can cast it to a bigger screen or has a keyboard mode, and it's not like you can guarantee me good wifi or a data plan. Also it's the fold phone that took them forever to stop breaking, that's not going to be my workhorse device lmao

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Phanatic posted:

And like really. How many jobs can you do with just a phone even now? Maybe if you're a project manager or another middle manager who only forwards emails and doesn't do anything concrete you manage with a phone.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Maybe if the most important qualification for your "job" is a blue checkmark next to your name.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
it is extremely easy to just buy a plain-rear end wedding band

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Our wedding rings are tattoos. :colbert: Everyone said that would be the kiss of death, but after 17 years I'm starting to suspect it might work out.