Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

b_d posted:

ah also An Untitled Story. one of the really old games by Maddy Thorson of towerfall and celeste fame. very rough around the edges but well worth a look.

an untitled story was very cool. also i played bunny must die when i was like 16 and i remember being disappointed the time gimmick was used only for like 1 puzzle. also some of the bosses have confusing mechanics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I’ll recommend Timespinner and Iconoclasts, both of which I really enjoyed.

idk why but outside of the animation and beautiful spritework that is a staple of konjak's work, i wasnt super impressed with iconoclasts

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Am untitled story rules

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

b_d posted:

do you have any favorites i may not have played? ive played most of the castles and the troids and the ories, plus all the ones already mentioned.

Oh yeah, here's a couple that we haven't discussed that I liked.

Timespinner. It's very inspired by IGAvania games. It's quite similar to those. The setting is different but otherwise it's Castlevania with the serial number filed off.

Axiom Verge is also neat. I've yet to play the second one but the first one was cool and more like Metroid than most other games. It has some unique power-ups which a lot of people find weird but I thought it was cool.

Guacamelee is also pretty cool. Less heavy on exploration than the other games but it's pretty unique. You're an undead Luchador or something. It's a brawler and you get to do wrestling moves. There's also some tough platforming sections. And even though I said there's not much exploration I don't think I ever explored the full map, it's just that each area is a mostly linear level with some branching paths and collectibles here and there.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

ArfJason posted:

idk why but outside of the animation and beautiful spritework that is a staple of konjak's work, i wasnt super impressed with iconoclasts

It wasn’t the greatest game in the world but I liked it. The graphics probably helped a lot lol

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
I liked towerfall a lot more than celeste.. something about learning the spawns and running around killing everything is really satisfying

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

b_d posted:

also how come there isn't a metroid vania that's megaman x.

there's one that's mega man zero x

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

ArfJason posted:

an untitled story was very cool. also i played bunny must die when i was like 16 and i remember being disappointed the time gimmick was used only for like 1 puzzle. also some of the bosses have confusing mechanics

yeah you get like three time powers near the beginning and it seems like you're going to be doing that all the time but it's just an occasional gimmick. which is fine with me, it would be annoying to have to do that poo poo all the time.

iirc timespinner has a similar thing going on where near the beginning you freeze time to use an enemy as a platform and then it never comes up again. i never finished that game though

back to bunny must die: the combat system is weird, there are weapon drops that work like the old castlevanias in that if you don't know where they are you will randomly get them just by moving around and hitting things. but instead of replacing your subweapon it replaces your main and only weapon. if you preferred the weapon you were using before you had to go back and find the torch or whatever that dropped it.

i never got good at the combat and some of the bosses were sticking points. but i somehow got through it all. in like 2010. and never got very far in any replay attempts since then. but im glad i did it once.

theres a third strike style parry system you can use to block everything including environmental spikes that normally do like 80% damage. and like climb on lasers and poo poo.

theres a wall jump upgrade you get with a weird input. and it seems like you can't jump up a single wall, but it turns out you can if you do an even weirder input to like wiggle out of the kickback and get back against the wall. iirc i found this mechanic just by dint of the normal input being weird and inconsistent and slowly figured out how to do the input just through muscle memory without being able to articulate what specifically i was doing.

there are orbs you collect that you place to open doors and you can pick them back up to close the door and use them somewhere else. i think there's like one puzzle where this is used deliberately, but what i mostly remember happening multiple times is leaving one on a door early on and the natural path brings you back around and back into the main area, a little ways away from the door orb, and you don't pass by it unless you deliberately go out of the way to pick it back up. and if you don't then later on you hit a dead end way across the map and have to trek all the way back to retrieve it.

you start the game only being able to move left and you have to find an upgrade to let you turn around and move right lol. BUT you can do without it because you have a castlevania style backdash you can use to move right instead, but you will always be facing left. i think speedruns do this, at least for the first portion of the game.

basically the game is stupid as poo poo and cool as hell.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

Arrhythmia posted:

Am untitled story rules

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Evil Eagle posted:

there's one that's mega man zero x

i played mega man zero but i don't think i ever played zx. basically what im imagining is zero's upgrades in x4 where you get like a flaming uppercut and an ice drop,, and you would use these to reach new areas in a big map . is that pretty much what it's like

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Untitled story is great. Also Lyle in Cube Sector, Shadow Complex.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I kinda wanted to play timespinner when I noticed it basically ripped off order of ecclesia's equip screens wholesale but I never did

b_d posted:

i played mega man zero but i don't think i ever played zx. basically what im imagining is zero's upgrades in x4 where you get like a flaming uppercut and an ice drop,, and you would use these to reach new areas in a big map . is that pretty much what it's like

there's a big map and you do get upgrades but I think there are also regular mmz levels scattered around too

I played the hell out of untitled story like 12 years ago

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

IGgy IGsen posted:

So far I played:

Super Metroid (I don't even know, I played this so many times)
Hollow Knight (second playthrough)
AM2R (first playthrough)
Metroid Dread (first playthrough)
Castlevania: Circle of the Moon (first playthrough)
Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (second playthrough)
Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (second playthrough, 100% for some reason)
Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night (Second Playthrough, Hard Mode)

this list needs to have the Ori games on it, now available on XBOX PC Game Pass. amazing to look at and they feel great to play

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

welcome posted:

Untitled story is great. Also Lyle in Cube Sector, Shadow Complex.

oh hell yeah i love lyle in cube sector. way up there. last time i tried to play it i had some technical issues with the window but i might have been doing it through wine on a mac.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

buffalo all day posted:

this list needs to have the Ori games on it, now available on XBOX PC Game Pass. amazing to look at and they feel great to play

Agreed. Ori is dope and I want to play it again before playing the second one for the first time. I'm hyped for that.

Maybe I'll do that next.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

yeah i was gonna say that i liked that you get to unlock the ability to move right (i thought it was left tbh)

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

could be, idr.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I started playing Dandara a little while ago and it seems fine but wasn't my cup of tea

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

stop calling them metroidvanias; start calling them search action games

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Fungah! posted:

In the UK they call them exploresies

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Pablo Nergigante posted:

In the UK they call them exploresies

lol

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I love MMZX but the open map is by far the worst part of it, they don't really do much with it and it mostly just adds boring walking, and confusion where to go next

Timespinner is p good, I finished it last year, but it has one major issue for me: it starts kinda tough, but after a few upgrades the difficulty just becomes non-existent. I coasted through all of it, then started Hard Mode... and it's insanely brutal and I kept dying in the first area. If they'd made it a reasonable challenge all the way through, it'd have been a goty for me

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Simply Simon posted:

I love MMZX but the open map is by far the worst part of it, they don't really do much with it and it mostly just adds boring walking, and confusion where to go next

Timespinner is p good, I finished it last year, but it has one major issue for me: it starts kinda tough, but after a few upgrades the difficulty just becomes non-existent. I coasted through all of it, then started Hard Mode... and it's insanely brutal and I kept dying in the first area. If they'd made it a reasonable challenge all the way through, it'd have been a goty for me

It's also quite short even if you go for all endings

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Pablo Nergigante posted:

It's also quite short even if you go for all endings
Forgot to list that with the positives

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Fungah! posted:

this

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

b_d posted:

do you have any favorites i may not have played? ive played most of the castles and the troids and the ories, plus all the ones already mentioned. edit: i guess you already listed everything but hey just in case.

Astalon Tears of the Earth and Rabbi Ribi the ultimate perverts platformer.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Lyle in Cube Sector: there's too many cugging cubes!!!!! die!!!!!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Arrhythmia posted:

Lol also look up.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I turned myself into a Metroidvania Morty! I'm Search Action Rick!!!

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Todd's Adventures in Slime World 2: Lyle in Cube Sector

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

derek yu's ancient game Aquaria is cool but since it was an indie sjw game pre-braid no one remembers it. also its pretty ugly but hell its from 2007 so we should all be glad it isn't brown and bloomy like every other game from 2007

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Donald in Q Sector

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Gato Roboto and the Blaster Master Zero games are both really easy but pretty good search action games.

If you're looking for some indie deep cuts there's Treasure Adventure World and Super Panda Adventures.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Does Cave Story count.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

There's an indie Metroidvania Castletroid called Castle in the Darkness that I thought was pretty underrated. A lot of the bad reviews on Steam mention it having absurd Kaizo or I Wanna Be the Guy style difficulty but... idk I don't remember it being that insane. I guess you die a lot but you never lose much progress. There's a secret unlockable for getting close to the end of the game on new game + without taking damage, and I even did that challenge and only have like 11 hours played. Cool pixel art, cool music, I remember the exploration and combat being pretty rewarding, I think it's worth a look.

Martman fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Nov 17, 2021

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Fungah! posted:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

metroidvania should only be used for a castlevania/metroid crossover, whjich is absurd because samus would simply demolish any frankensteins, draculas and the like that she encountered with her superior weaponry.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

In Training posted:

Does Cave Story count.
I wish more search action games were like Cave Story, where they tell me where to search and I search there. no sense mucking around

e: this post reads sarcastic but it's not

Cubone fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Nov 17, 2021

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

mysterious loyall X posted:

Astalon Tears of the Earth and Rabbi Ribi the ultimate perverts platformer.

assalon queers of the earth. couldn't think of anything for earth. edit: assalon queers of the klurf

Arrhythmia posted:

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

mysterious loyall X posted:

derek yu's ancient game Aquaria is cool but since it was an indie sjw game pre-braid no one remembers it. also its pretty ugly but hell its from 2007 so we should all be glad it isn't brown and bloomy like every other game from 2007

oh yeah aquaria is cool but it's swimy which is not as fun as jumping.

In Training posted:

Does Cave Story count.

not really. also everyone in the world has heard of cave story. tribal kids in africa (not racist) don't know who mario is but they love curly brace. they love sue.