Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
In terms of loving you up more than just the booster by itself, is there any sort of consensus on getting a booster+flu vaccine during the same visit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Abner Assington posted:

In terms of loving you up more than just the booster by itself, is there any sort of consensus on getting a booster+flu vaccine during the same visit?
Varies, just like everything. I'd recommend combining them and just getting it done.

I had no issues other than arm pain and some injection site swelling. But I haven't had negative side effects beyond that for any of these shots.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
I figured as much. Was maybe more curious as to experiences within the thread of having done it.

My second Moderna shot got me good for about 24 hours, so I'm expecting more of the same there.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Have we talked about how the D614G mutation that became dominant in the spring of 2020 makes the spike more stable at a broad range of temperatures, low and high?

Because that’s pretty neat.

The researchers present the slimmest silver lining here: D614G makes a superior candidate for vaccines using inactivated virus or protein subunits. It makes no difference to mRNA or viral vector vaccines of the sort currently used in the U.S., though, other than presenting a target to the immune system that more closely matches circulating variants.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Abner Assington posted:

I figured as much. Was maybe more curious as to experiences within the thread of having done it.

My second Moderna shot got me good for about 24 hours, so I'm expecting more of the same there.

I got both at the same time, no biggie. Much less feeling lovely than the second shot for me. All 3 were pfizer though.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Abner Assington posted:

I don't think anything's studied it well. I split mine up because for other unrelated vaccines, things like Tdap+flu produce lower antibody titers than doing the components serially and I figured it's not likely to hurt. I've already been lazy about getting flu shot promptly, so waiting another couple of weeks is :sunk cost fallacy:

(Pfizer 3 hit me much harder than 1 or 2, fever for a couple days in addition to tired [COVID test was negative])

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Abner Assington posted:

I did this today.

Pfizer 1 & 2 both put me down for 48 hours. I’m 8-hours post Pfizer booster and flu shot in the same arm and just a sore arm so far. We’ll see tomorrow. I’m expecting to feel like poo poo.

I had Covid in January and had 1 & 2 in March/April after testing positive for antibodies. I assume that’s why I got nailed so hard. It also just seems random beyond that.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
I had absolutely zero effects from my 3rd dose (all 3 Pfizer) outside of a sore arm. Was on immunosuppressants for that one and not the others though, so that could be a factor.

UnoriginalMind
Dec 22, 2007

I Love You
I suppose I can contribute my booster anecdote if people are curious.

I was supposed to get both the Moderna booster and the flu shot at the same time but the pharmacist forgot. It was him and one pharmacy tech against the world, so I let it go.

My response to the second Moderna shot was about 9 to 10 hours of fatigue, mild fever, chills, and a sore arm. Comparatively, my response to the booster was maybe 4 to 5 hours of those symptoms. The fatigue faded quickly after getting some caffeine and stayed gone. Intermittent chills and fever after that but nothing ibuprofen couldn't fix.

I'd probably count on not working the next day just in case. I got boosted on Saturday for this reason. Worked out nice. Had a lazy Sunday on the couch and now I'm not worried about Thanksgiving with the immediate family.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

Amen.
Yeah, I'm fortunate to both be working from home and at a place where things are slowly winding down to a halt with holidays incoming, so I'm okay being a full-on goon and sitting on my rear end tomorrow if I get blown away by the third shot.

Super Librarian
Jan 4, 2005

Moderna booster plus flu shot knocked me on my rear end for a day but it still wasn't as bad as my second Pfizer shot. I strategically got my booster on Veteran's Day (paid holiday) and called out Friday to give myself a 4-day weekend, though I spent about a third of it feeling miserable and sleepy.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

Got my Moderna booster on Monday. Had some fatigue, muscle aches, and headache. Not as much nausea as with the first/second shots. The symptoms only lasted about 5 hours, whereas it was about 24 hours with the first shot and 16 hours with the second. And ibuprofen seemed to help with the symptoms I did get. My wife got her booster yesterday, and woke up with chills and other symptoms but is napping currently. Hopefully hers will abate fairly quickly as well, but it feels good to be protected again.

Looking forward to 12/11, which will be two weeks past my daughters' second shots.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I didn't notice the first two shots at all. Third shot was 6 hours of aches & fever the next day.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

It really doesn't seem that there is any rhyme or reason as to how an individual is going to respond to the shots/booster outside moderna seeming to hit harder on average.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

cr0y posted:

It really doesn't seem that there is any rhyme or reason as to how an individual is going to respond to the shots/booster outside moderna seeming to hit harder on average.

Martial arts movies have taught me that getting hit hard a lot makes you very strong, so I'm glad I got the Moderna and i'll be getting a Moderna booster.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I did this today.

Pfizer 1 & 2 both put me down for 48 hours. I’m 8-hours post Pfizer booster and flu shot in the same arm and just a sore arm so far. We’ll see tomorrow. I’m expecting to feel like poo poo.

I had Covid in January and had 1 & 2 in March/April after testing positive for antibodies. I assume that’s why I got nailed so hard. It also just seems random beyond that.

Hooooo boy do I feel like dogshit. Chills, full body aches, etc. Perfect night for my toddlers to both wake up at 1am 👌🏻

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Hahaha, at work they just issued a notice that all employees must provide their vaccination status to the company by 12/5 in anticipation of the OSHA rule taking effect and the CHUDs on our work social media bullshit are absolutely losing their minds over it. Accusations of collaboration with the fascist Biden administration, insistence that this is a HIPAA violation, threats to quit, etc. etc.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yep our deadline is Jan 4 but anti-vaxxers or anyone with a medical/religious exemption can test weekly.

They are giving everyone vaxxed a few hundred bucks and entered everyone into a few thousand dollar lottery.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Lager posted:

Hahaha, at work they just issued a notice that all employees must provide their vaccination status to the company by 12/5 in anticipation of the OSHA rule taking effect and the CHUDs on our work social media bullshit are absolutely losing their minds over it. Accusations of collaboration with the fascist Biden administration, insistence that this is a HIPAA violation, threats to quit, etc. etc.
My wife works at the same large corporation. :) She hasn't seen the social media thing, but she's very happy about it.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Platystemon posted:

One more citation to add to the Canada and Scotland papers about Delta being deadlier, this time from England.

Intervals are wide, but it does appear to be worse.

Note that this is a comparison versus Alpha. I believe that the consensus was that Alpha was moderately deadlier than the variants it displaced, though there were disagreements.

Yeah, nearly every properly-adjusted comparative study of Delta has concluded that it carries much, much higher risk of hospitalization and death. At this point, anyone suggesting that it’s not more serious or deadly is making an absolutely extraordinary claim (much like the clinging to the idea that it is not more transmissible). I know this thread decided they didn’t want to discuss science, but yeesh.

Professor Beetus posted:

Has there been a massive spike of deaths since Delta was a thing in oct 2020 or has it been mostly the same spikes and valleys since pretty much the whole thing started?

I hope you realize that this sort of argument is completely irrelevant to the individual-level deadliness of Delta. Surely you can think of some reasons why Delta’s increased deadliness may have been attenuated at the population level? This is why it’s important to look at studies that can properly account for confounding factors and vaccination / prior infection.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Nov 17, 2021

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

dwarf74 posted:

My wife works at the same large corporation. :) She hasn't seen the social media thing, but she's very happy about it.

It's the terrible internal social media thing the company uses. It's largely unmoderated, and I've seen people post things on there with no consequences whereas if they said the same things in a meeting or in-person, they would likely get fired.

So far I've counted three people comparing the company, and employees who support the mandate, to nazis.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Unfortunately my company disabled comments on their announcement. I was looking forward to some meltdowns.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Unfortunately my company disabled comments on their announcement. I was looking forward to some meltdowns.

It's been equal parts hilarious, baffling, and horrifying.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

Amen.
Got that Moderna booster :toot: Forgot it was a half dose, so hoping it won't hit nearly as hard as the second full shot did.

And forgot to click a button or some dumb poo poo when I signed up, so no flu shot until next week.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
lol, jesus christ

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

Abner Assington posted:

I did this.

Had a fever and felt lovely the next day. One day after that (so, two days after getting both shots) I felt fine.

Obviously, everyone's reaction will be different. But my anecdote is that I felt bad briefly and was quickly back to normal.

I am not a doctor, but it seems to me that your body is exposed to shitloads of pathogens every single day. Exposing it to "two on the same day" is probably a red herring since you're exposed to loads all the time. The medical staff I spoke with also said getting both on the same day is no problem.

I wanted to be vaccinated asap, so why make two trips?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

quote:

As cases of Covid-19 rise throughout the U.S., health officials warn that an increasing number of fully vaccinated people are being hospitalized or going to the emergency room. The concern about waning immunity against severe Covid infection comes as the Food and Drug Administration is expected to authorize a Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine booster shot for all adults 18 and older.

“What we’re starting to see now is an uptick in hospitalizations among people who’ve been vaccinated but not boosted,” Dr. Anthony Fauci, the director of the National Institute for Allergy and Infectious Disease, said Tuesday in an interview. “It’s a significant proportion, but not the majority by any means.”

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/hospitalizations-rising-fully-vaccinated-us-fauci-says-rcna5907

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

This is anti-vaxx. Please stop spreading lies. This will discourage the hooting swine eating horse paste from getting vaccinated.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
ssc did an insanely deep dive into the ivermectin research today and figured out that: if you toss the clearly fraudulent research, then the effect of ivermectin on improving health outcomes seems to be it legitimately deworms people in the global south whose covid-ravaged bodies were being finished off by superworms made stronger by covid treatments (mainly steroids) https://astralcodexten.substack.com/p/ivermectin-much-more-than-you-wanted?utm_campaign=post&utm_medium=web&utm_source=

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Petey posted:

ssc did an insanely deep dive into the ivermectin research today and figured out that: if you toss the clearly fraudulent research, then the effect of ivermectin on improving health outcomes seems to be it legitimately deworms people in the global south whose covid-ravaged bodies were being finished off by superworms made stronger by covid treatments (mainly steroids) https://astralcodexten.substack.com/p/ivermectin-much-more-than-you-wanted?utm_campaign=post&utm_medium=web&utm_source=

That makes complete sense and more or less what I had assumed was the case. Getting rid of intestinal parasites makes fighting Covid easier, so in places where that is common Ivermectin can actually help.

For people without intestinal parasites, it does nothing.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

lol, jesus christ

What exactly is wrong with this? This is how it should be. If you are sick, don’t go to school or work.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Petey posted:

So you're saying ivermectin works :smug:

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Dr. John Campbell paper reviews again justified

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

GutBomb posted:

What exactly is wrong with this? This is how it should be. If you are sick, don’t go to school or work.

It's kinda weird that it says flu but it dances around saying "covid"

Makes me wonder if they avoided it on purpose so they didn't have a bunch of moron parents raging out that covid isn't real here I'll cough all over you to prove it

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Professor Beetus posted:

This is word salad. Delta is contagious but isn't more deadly. Covid still isn't Captain Trips. You can take Covid seriously without being the guy holding the apocalypse sign on the street corner.

COVID needs to be seen through a regional perspective. I'll take my local MegaNeighborhood of NYC as an example.

Even as a third wave hits a population of 8.4 million, with about a thousand-ish cases per day

the number of hospitalized and dead from COVID in all of NYC

remain so low that had I seen these same numbers in my one lonesome Long Island hospital a year ago, I would have been optimistic about the future.

I think this is directly related to the vaccination rate of the entire state.

The vaccines work incredibly well. The most vocal pessimists online are either anti-vaxxers or fully vaccinated super-online inadvertent anti-vaxxers spending hours per day typing out how a COVID count >0 in their state means vaccines aren't a substitute for authoritarian vaccine-by-gunpoint measures because they need something to justify permanent agoraphobia.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

GutBomb posted:

The dumb transparent reframing as being flu restrictions because it’s too spicey to say covid

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
Our kids schools have outright banned parents from entering for any reason. We normally have to do some sort of volunteer activity 4 hours every month, that's basically zoom only right now.

Even when picking up kids, you have to be masked (outside) and can't come on the actual school grounds and have to wait in the parking lot.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Sounds like a good reminder to get your booster if you're eligible.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

MadJackal posted:

COVID needs to be seen through a regional perspective. I'll take my local MegaNeighborhood of NYC as an example.

Even as a third wave hits a population of 8.4 million, with about a thousand-ish cases per day

the number of hospitalized and dead from COVID in all of NYC

remain so low that had I seen these same numbers in my one lonesome Long Island hospital a year ago, I would have been optimistic about the future.

I think this is directly related to the vaccination rate of the entire state.

Now do your analysis for Ireland. I'll give you some data to start, 93% adults fully vaccinated. Give us your analysis of their cases and covid growth please.

quote:

The vaccines work incredibly well. The most vocal pessimists online are either anti-vaxxers or fully vaccinated super-online inadvertent anti-vaxxers spending hours per day typing out how a COVID count >0 in their state means vaccines aren't a substitute for authoritarian vaccine-by-gunpoint measures because they need something to justify permanent agoraphobia.

Oh is this the thread for attacks now?

The most vocal doctors in this thread have been consistently wrong at every step of the pandemic.

edit: You wanna call people correctly predicting the course of the pandemic "anti-vax" then you better square up why those same people are eating probes in this thread trying to get people to get boosters and get more vaccinated. Drop the loving bluster, no one is anti-vax here.

mod sassinator fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Nov 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

mod sassinator posted:

Now do your analysis for Ireland. I'll give you some data to start, 93% adults fully vaccinated. Give us your analysis of their cases and covid growth please.

Seems like the analysis is they are peaking to nearly their highest case count ever but are currently at a seven day moving average of six deaths. When before a peak 1/5th as high was having a moving average of sixty deaths per day. Because vaccines are real and work and weird super online double reverse antivaxx people are still wrong about vaccines being fake or failed or not working.