Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

Alctel posted:

This is 100% accurate

Also in more cheerful news, Canada may actually make the world cup for the first time in like 30 years! Super stoked (even though the event itself is going to be an unbelievable shitshow this time around)

edit: also this has already been mentioned upthread but the current BCNDP gov is actually 'ok' overall*, while failing in a number of spectacularly lovely ways they've put through a large number of actually good policies as well (although a lot of those are stapling the province back together after years of basically being run by an organised money laundering ring), you can't really compare them to AB, MN or ONs current governments

*does not apply to anything to do with resource extraction in which they are awful

Kinda my own sentiment as well. I am not going to consider it a governance failure to accurately predict that a mudslide is going to happen or a road is going to wash out. This is only notable since so many of them happened during the same storm. And considering the BC Libs aren't even rumbling about the same poo poo as this thread should probably give you an idea of how they would have handled it.

The storm that did this was the second "OMFG we are all going to die"* rain storm to hit the PNW this month. Nobody is getting worked about about rain here, even if we should.

* our media is so stupid and every storm is the coming apocalypse and frankly I don't pay any attention to it anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

Crow Buddy posted:

Kinda my own sentiment as well. I am not going to consider it a governance failure to accurately predict that a mudslide is going to happen or a road is going to wash out. This is only notable since so many of them happened during the same storm. And considering the BC Libs aren't even rumbling about the same poo poo as this thread should probably give you an idea of how they would have handled it.

The storm that did this was the second "OMFG we are all going to die"* rain storm to hit the PNW this month. Nobody is getting worked about about rain here, even if we should.

* our media is so stupid and every storm is the coming apocalypse and frankly I don't pay any attention to it anymore.

I’ll agree with both of you. I am much calmer today cause I know my in-laws are okay up in Chilliwack.

The response has been okay. If they didn’t want the alert then that’s their call. At least it’s some communication.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Fidelitious posted:

I would venture that letting a fairly large city sink into a lake and the major metro centre being cut off by land without saying much of anything is significantly worse than fast ferries, which in the end was a pretty small cost.

Let's not give them leeway for excuses. I'm not in BC anymore but I did vote for this Horgan government, and it has been far worse than I could have possibly believed.

Lol Sumas Prairie is a patch of farmland with barely more than a thousand homes on it, not "a fairly large city". Abbotsford proper isn't underwater. Hell, the Abbotsford local government specifically asked the Province not to use the emergency text message system because it was only a couple hundred people actually still in Sumas Prairie, and they didn't want to freak out the whole city.

Also the reporting is saying that both the feds and the province are bringing in pumps to try to help keep the waters out of the drained lake on which those people built their homes, so they're hardly "letting" it happen.

And they've been putting out warnings and travel advisories since the weekend, have MOTI staff actively working on clearing the highways, have been out rescuing people, and are coordinating with local authorities like Abbotsford, as per their disaster management plans. So I'm not sure how they're not "saying much of anything".

But sure, keep going off the Twitter outrage factory's version of reality.

Alctel posted:

edit: also this has already been mentioned upthread but the current BCNDP gov is actually 'ok' overall*, while failing in a number of spectacularly lovely ways they've put through a large number of actually good policies as well (although a lot of those are stapling the province back together after years of basically being run by an organised money laundering ring), you can't really compare them to AB, MN or ONs current governments

*does not apply to anything to do with resource extraction in which they are awful

Yeah, holy poo poo, all of this.

ChickenDoodle posted:

I’ll agree with both of you. I am much calmer today cause I know my in-laws are okay up in Chilliwack.

The response has been okay. If they didn’t want the alert then that’s their call. At least it’s some communication.

Glad your family's OK. :shobon:

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

I STOLE A PIE FROM ESTELLE GETTY

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Lol Sumas Prairie is a patch of farmland with barely more than a thousand homes on it, not "a fairly large city". Abbotsford proper isn't underwater. Hell, the Abbotsford local government specifically asked the Province not to use the emergency text message system because it was only a couple hundred people actually still in Sumas Prairie, and they didn't want to freak out the whole city.

Also the reporting is saying that both the feds and the province are bringing in pumps to try to help keep the waters out of the drained lake on which those people built their homes, so they're hardly "letting" it happen.

And they've been putting out warnings and travel advisories since the weekend, have MOTI staff actively working on clearing the highways, have been out rescuing people, and are coordinating with local authorities like Abbotsford, as per their disaster management plans. So I'm not sure how they're not "saying much of anything".

But sure, keep going off the Twitter outrage factory's version of reality.

Yeah, holy poo poo, all of this.

Glad your family's OK. :shobon:

thanks for your insight

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
https://vancouver.citynews.ca/video/2019/07/18/citynews-regional-live-2/

update from Horgan and the NDP

Horgan just mentioned that the province will need to prepare for more events like this in the future

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009
How about the Federal government takes the cash for the emergency response for this directly out of fossil fuel subsidies. Just an idea.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Good thinking! The province of BC could do the same with the funds it raises from carbon taxes instead of just... giving it back to people.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Orthanc6 posted:

How about the Federal government takes the cash for the emergency response for this directly out of fossil fuel subsidies. Just an idea.

But then they'll take their vast underground reservoirs and go somewhere else.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

JawKnee posted:

Horgan just mentioned that the province will need to prepare for more events like this in the future

He looked like poo poo during the media conference. Then I remembered he had that biopsy and is probably suffering from the radiation treatment :(

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Alctel posted:

This is 100% accurate

Also in more cheerful news, Canada may actually make the world cup for the first time in like 30 years! Super stoked (even though the event itself is going to be an unbelievable shitshow this time around)

Oh man it's going to be so bad. Obviously the bribery and so forth but yeah...planning the world cup in an absolute monarchy desert state, brilliant. A state that has no freedom of religion, sharia law, flogging as punishment, apostasy and homosexuality have the death penalty, and of course their general disregard for any human rights. Absolute travesty that they awarded it to them, should have been South Korea/Japan again.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

Fidelitious posted:

Oh man it's going to be so bad. Obviously the bribery and so forth but yeah...planning the world cup in an absolute monarchy desert state, brilliant. A state that has no freedom of religion, sharia law, flogging as punishment, apostasy and homosexuality have the death penalty, and of course their general disregard for any human rights. Absolute travesty that they awarded it to them, should have been South Korea/Japan again.

You've just described the majority of countries in the region. And yes, Qatar and Al Jazeera bribed their way to winning the cup. The US DOJ has been chasing FIFA corruption for a decade. Guess which countries stonewalled those investigations.

Thanks, America world police

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Fidelitious posted:

I love football. Canada making the World Cup will be bittersweet for me. On the one hand it will be amazing having Canada take part in the world cup, and we have such great players ATM that they deserve to be there. On the other hand I kind of said I would not watch a world cup that already has a death toll before it began.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

Madkal posted:

On the other hand I kind of said I would not watch a world cup that already has a death toll before it began.

If you've actually skipped the last three world cups, that's fairly impressive resolve for a soccer fan.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

i fly airplanes posted:

You've just described the majority of countries in the region. And yes, Qatar and Al Jazeera bribed their way to winning the cup. The US DOJ has been chasing FIFA corruption for a decade. Guess which countries stonewalled those investigations.

My fav part is that FIFA then made a film which was basically entirely about how upstanding and uncorrupt the president of FIFA, Sepp Blatter was

Wikipedia film plot summery posted:

Corruption within FIFA builds up over the years from Havelange's expansion efforts. As president of FIFA, Blatter is tasked to clean this up, for which he is seen as a controversial president. Many FIFA officials attempt to vote him out of office because of how incorruptible he is. The movie ends with a 2006 vote, in which Blatter is able to retain his presidency by cowing the corrupt members of FIFA, threatening to expose their ill deeds if they do not endorse Blatter and his anti-corruption campaign by voting for him as the FIFA president.

However,

quote:

The film's United States release coincided with the 2015 FIFA corruption case, in which several current and former members of FIFA's executive committee were arrested for charges of corruption.[7] The corruption investigation led to the resignation of FIFA's president, Sepp Blatter, following decades of speculation and accusations of corruption at FIFA under his leadership.[8]

lol

My 16 million dollar 'I'm not corrupt' film is raising a lot of questions already answered by my film

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

i fly airplanes posted:

If this weren't the Canada thread, I'd be really interested in learning more about the idea of Al Jazeera bribing FIFA.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The UCP AGM is this weekend.

-Kenney changed the rules so only dear leader can bring resolutions the the floor
-Kenney is organizing for a bunch of loyalists to flood the meetings to prevent dissenters from getting to the microphones.
-Kenney used his massive personal staff to vote down possible resolutions to be presented there in October.
-Kenney is likely going to raise the threshold for constituency associations to trigger a leadership review to 29 now that 22 have declared intention to.
-Third party PACs are buying $349 a piece tickets for kenney loyalists, essentially transferring money directly to the party.

quote:

At the end of October, an Alberta company executive sent an email to colleagues that shows vividly how the system works.

“One of Kenney’s senior staff reached out to me yesterday and asked if I could ’round up’ a substantial number of existing and new members to attend the AGM and participate in the board voting,” the executive wrote.

“As we know, there is a lot of division within the current UCP ranks, and it looks like our premier is looking to shore up a few board positions to wash out a few of the dissenters.

“While I am not necessarily the biggest Kenney fan at this point, I am a believer that our conservative government needs to show a consolidated and determined front or we risk a sharp turn on the next election that wouldn’t be great for Albertans.”

Then comes the kicker …

“What I would like to do, is take this specific request from Kenney’s office to bring support, and leverage that into further, meaningful dialogues with his cabinet.

“We can be relatively apolitical and not make a big deal of the support, and put us in a position to be recognized as strong supporters in the event Kenney carries on and brings his house in order.”

The delegate then asks the recipients to fill out an attached membership form and attend “to bring the support they are requesting.”

https://calgaryherald.com/news/braid-kenney-crew-busily-lining-up-delegate-support-for-weekend-convention

Powershift fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Nov 19, 2021

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

Muscle Tracer posted:

If this weren't the Canada thread, I'd be really interested in learning more about the idea of Al Jazeera bribing FIFA.
Can't tell if you're being facetious by calling it an "idea"

According to leaked documents obtained by The Sunday Times, Qatari state-run television channel Al Jazeera secretly offered $400 million to FIFA, for broadcasting rights, just 21 days before FIFA announced that Qatar will hold the 2022 World Cup. The contract also documented a secret TV deal between FIFA and Qatar's state run media broadcast Al Jazeera that $100 million will also be paid into a designated FIFA account only if Qatar wins the World Cup ballot in 2010. An additional $480 million was also offered by the State of Qatar government, three years after the initial offer, which brings the amount to $880 million offered by Qatar to host the 2022 world cup. The documents are now part of the bribery inquiry by Swiss Police.[84][85]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_FIFA_World_Cup_controversies

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Powershift posted:

The UCP AGM is this weekend.

-Kenney changed the rules so only dear leader can bring resolutions the the floor
-Kenney is organizing for a bunch of loyalists to flood the meetings to prevent dissenters from getting to the microphones.
-Kenney used his massive personal staff to vote down possible resolutions to be presented there in October.
-Kenney is likely going to raise the threshold for constituency associations to trigger a leadership review to 29 now that 22 have declared intention to.
-Third party PACs are buying $349 a piece tickets for kenney loyalists, essentially transferring money directly to the party.

https://calgaryherald.com/news/braid-kenney-crew-busily-lining-up-delegate-support-for-weekend-convention

Kenny's monkey football extravaganza

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

JawKnee posted:

Choosing to interpret this as "the old growth logging will continue"

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Powershift posted:

lmao

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Please. Let me tell you all about how you're all idiots. I am of superior intellect here. Go suck some dicks. You have all fucking stupid opinions. This is my fucking opinion.
Well it's not like Kenney just magically became the leader of the UCP. These assholes knew what they were getting

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Wow, really sounds like the United Conservative Party is anything but.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

infernal machines posted:

Wow, really sounds like the United Conservative Party is anything but.

gently caress, what about the People's Party?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

eXXon posted:

gently caress, what about the People's Party?

If the united Conservative party eats united conservatives, What does the people party eat :ohdear:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Powershift posted:

If the united Conservative party eats united conservatives, What does the people party eat :ohdear:

It's a cookbook!

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Something tells me there are more than a few Soylent drinkers in the PP.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

infernal machines posted:

It's a cookbook!

Lisa: how to cook people
Bernier how to cook for people
Lisa: how to cook forty people
Bernier: how to cook forty poor people
lisa: .....That's worse. You know that's worse, right?

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
Are the libs getting $10/day daycare done in Ontario or has Ford sabotaged it

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

mila kunis posted:

Are the libs getting $10/day daycare done in Ontario or has Ford sabotaged it

dougie is squabbling for more of the pie basically

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

Arivia posted:

dougie is squabbling for more of the pie basically

One of the two last provinces who haven't signed on yet, in fact. Ford also was pleading with municipalities to not "sabotage" the provincial negotiations by negotiating directly with the Feds, after Toronto, Hamilton, and Niagara all seemed to start discussing opening negotiations among their various councils.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
The last I heard was Dougie wanted Ontario's kindergarten students to be included in the number of daycare spaces required (yes to inflate the numbers thus get more money) and the Feds laughed them out of the room.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

less than three posted:

The last I heard was Dougie wanted Ontario's kindergarten students to be included in the number of daycare spaces required (yes to inflate the numbers thus get more money) and the Feds laughed them out of the room.

Is that because other provinces don't have full day kindergarten yet?

Because if other provinces get to count kindergarten age kids who need half-day care, it makes some sense to apply that equally to all provinces.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

BC NDP under delivering and bringing in 5 days of sick leave despite having known for weeks and weeks that the Federal government is bringing in 10 days of sick leave for federally regulated work places.

https://twitter.com/jjhorgan/status/1463601154126848002?s=21

Once again the NDP are out flanked on the left by the Liberals.

Real great labour government we have here in BC.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Femtosecond posted:

BC NDP under delivering and bringing in 5 days of sick leave despite having known for weeks and weeks that the Federal government is bringing in 10 days of sick leave for federally regulated work places.

https://twitter.com/jjhorgan/status/1463601154126848002?s=21

Once again the NDP are out flanked on the left by the Liberals.

Real great labour government we have here in BC.
Their claim was federally regulated businesses are typically larger, while this law applies to many more small businesses.

Of course they could have different number of days or covered some costs for businesses with fewer than ten employees or whatever, instead we get this.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Jimbozig posted:

Is that because other provinces don't have full day kindergarten yet?

Because if other provinces get to count kindergarten age kids who need half-day care, it makes some sense to apply that equally to all provinces.

Doug Ford may suck, but he's not necessarily wrong here. Ontario has two years of kindergarten. As a result, the older cohort of kids in daycare in other provinces are not around any more in Ontario. They are already in school. Those kids are the cheapest daycare slots to fill because they require a much lower ration of caregivers to children. If a program aimed at creating slots provides funding based on the raw number of kids in daycare and doesn't count those in junior kindergarten, Ontario's program would be much more expensive to run per kid actually in daycare.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Trapick posted:

Their claim was federally regulated businesses are typically larger, while this law applies to many more small businesses.

Of course they could have different number of days or covered some costs for businesses with fewer than ten employees or whatever, instead we get this.

At least call it an interim step to 10 days if they cant deliver.

The NDP have replaced ideology with technocracy. So inspired by this "We polled 3 Tim Horton's Franchisees and 5 is the scientifically correct amount of sick days" poo poo.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Trapick posted:

I don't understand this line of reasoning. Do people working at small businesses get sick less? I think not.

It's this stupid thing where every smidgen of basic respect for employees has to be tested against how small businesses feel about it, and what exemptions small businesses should get.
Every person should have the right to not have to weigh their health against how long can they last on unpaid sick leave, or risk getting fired.

gently caress small businesses. If you can't afford to treat your employees like humans your business sucks and should die.

Just want to be clear this isn't an attack against you Trapick, you're just being the messenger for what we all know small businesses would get all up in arms about if they had to give 10 days or something.

dprk -i juche.deb
Jul 25, 2012

you must give up playing this hole
It's also more complicated than that; sure there are a lot of large employers in the federal jurisdiction but it also contains industries like interprovincial trucking, which is heavily vertically disintegrated and has tons of really small establishments with less than 10-20 people, all of whom would have to provide 10 paid sick days under the federal rules.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
It's a dumbass compromise. All the business groups are already losing their poo poo over it anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Remember when we killed the Albertan family farm by forcing them to abide by the same labour laws as everyone else?

This is like that.