Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

What voltage input/output do you need for 3 phase AC charging?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Steakandchips posted:

I should get a shaver that charges at 7kw.

Regarding:

The power distribution company got back to me with a quote today to wire me up for 3 phase. £60,500. That'll be a no from me dawg. 6 grand, maybe. 60, uh no.

Assuming you're somewhere suburban or exurban (which seems a fair assumption if you've got a garage to put your charger in) that's not too bad a price, considering they'd need to dig up the road from your nearest substation and basically lay a cable especially for you.

Might be worthwhile talking to your local authority to see if they have any plans to roll out EV charging infrastructure - for obvious reasons they won't do it to your house for you but if they're putting in dedicated chargers (or those ones that go into lamp posts) on a road nearby that might bring the price right down if UKPN only have to run a spur from the next street along or something. It's a long shot but it costs nothing to ask.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
if it does not jump to 6:12, go to that manually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YS15RLUQ_FU&t=372s

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

“Yeah, I can pull top gear wheelies on my Harley”

“What? No, I won’t tell you how”

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Assuming you're somewhere suburban or exurban (which seems a fair assumption if you've got a garage to put your charger in) that's not too bad a price, considering they'd need to dig up the road from your nearest substation and basically lay a cable especially for you.

Might be worthwhile talking to your local authority to see if they have any plans to roll out EV charging infrastructure - for obvious reasons they won't do it to your house for you but if they're putting in dedicated chargers (or those ones that go into lamp posts) on a road nearby that might bring the price right down if UKPN only have to run a spur from the next street along or something. It's a long shot but it costs nothing to ask.

I moved a month or so ago. I live in an area like this, and my house is similar to the one depicted below in the centre of the picture, via Google Maps:

It's very rural, a 7 on the 8 point scale of rural-ness, 8 being the most rural (the scale is set by the Scottish government. I my checked my rural-ness because you have to be an 8 to qualify for the extra £100 grant for an EV charger [you don't get the grant for electric motorcycles at the moment at all, neither the £250 from the UK gov, nor the £350 from the Scottish gov, nor the extra £100 from the Scottish gov, because e-motorbikes are not on the OZEV list, and adding to the OZEV list is a retained matter for the UK government, and the DFT insist manufacturers ask to be added to it, which Harley hasn't done yet. The amount of bullshit red tape only to be told no after a month...]). Pheasants and sheep occasionally wander onto my property, there's wild deer that sometimes come by, and we can see birds of prey flying about near the woods in the distance, that's how rural it is. There's a huge wind turbine in a local farm about 400m away.

The power distribution company said they'd need to upgrade 8 "spans" of overhead line to 3 phase, and that the local transformer would need to be upgraded to 3phase 50KVA, and there'd be digging involved as well.

It's a good suggestion regarding the local authority, but given my rural-ness, there's not going to be any dedicated chargers any time soon. We don't have any lamp posts (it's really dark at night, particularly when you can't see the moon), so chargers are so unlikely in the near/middle future. There's one chargepoint in the nearest town, which is 10 miles away. Its CCS DC charger was broken when I went last week, but the regular Type 2 AC charger it had was working apparently (it was in use).

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Steakandchips posted:

I moved a month or so ago. I live in an area like this, and my house is similar to the one depicted below in the centre of the picture, via Google Maps:

It's very rural, a 7 on the 8 point scale of rural-ness, 8 being the most rural (the scale is set by the Scottish government. I my checked my rural-ness because you have to be an 8 to qualify for the extra £100 grant for an EV charger [you don't get the grant for electric motorcycles at the moment at all, neither the £250 from the UK gov, nor the £350 from the Scottish gov, nor the extra £100 from the Scottish gov, because e-motorbikes are not on the OZEV list, and adding to the OZEV list is a retained matter for the UK government, and the DFT insist manufacturers ask to be added to it, which Harley hasn't done yet. The amount of bullshit red tape only to be told no after a month...]). Pheasants and sheep occasionally wander onto my property, there's wild deer that sometimes come by, and we can see birds of prey flying about near the woods in the distance, that's how rural it is. There's a huge wind turbine in a local farm about 400m away.

The power distribution company said they'd need to upgrade 8 "spans" of overhead line to 3 phase, and that the local transformer would need to be upgraded to 3phase 50KVA, and there'd be digging involved as well.

It's a good suggestion regarding the local authority, but given my rural-ness, there's not going to be any dedicated chargers any time soon. We don't have any lamp posts (it's really dark at night, particularly when you can't see the moon), so chargers are so unlikely in the near/middle future. There's one chargepoint in the nearest town, which is 10 miles away. Its CCS DC charger was broken when I went last week, but the regular Type 2 AC charger it had was working apparently (it was in use).

Obvious solution - head to the wind turbine with a really long extension cable.

£60k is actually a bit of a bargain considering all that, TBH - my firm had to pay over double that to have another spur (admittedly a rather beefier one - I *think* 115kVA) run from the local substation which was literally 50 metres away to our main office/data centre, and that was a bargain because they had recently massively upgraded it to feed Crossrail so didn't need to install any new plant to feed us.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Steakandchips posted:

Pheasants and sheep occasionally wander onto my property, there's wild deer that sometimes come by, and we can see birds of prey flying about near the woods in the distance, that's how rural it is.

I'm not physically claustrophobic, as far as I know, but reading you use "the presence of wild animals including deer and birds of prey" as a measure of ruralness gives me this incredible cramped feeling. Kind of like the one I get when I spend time in Toronto and drive for three hours (in flowing traffic, not gridlock on the 401) and am still surrounded by buildings.

It's probably because Calgary is isolated in the middle of undeveloped foothills, farmland, ranches and a big First Nations reservation, and is shot through with parks and green spaces. So as lovely as we are, and as bad as the bird count has gotten over the years, we still have a lot of "wild"life in a city of over a million. Hawks and falcons are everywhere during the warm months, there's deer in most of the parks and sometimes they hang out by roads. Coyotes adapt very well to human presence and I used to live in an apartment where I could hear them singing most nights. My dad took pictures of a bobcat with kits in his front yard. It's not unheard of for moose, bears or even mountain lions to amble into town up one of the river valleys, although that usually makes the news when it happens. I've been here most of my life (and in even smaller more isolated places when I wasn't) so I just kind of take that as normal, but obviously it's not, at least in terms of more developed nations.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Phy posted:

I'm not physically claustrophobic, as far as I know, but reading you use "the presence of wild animals including deer and birds of prey" as a measure of ruralness gives me this incredible cramped feeling. Kind of like the one I get when I spend time in Toronto and drive for three hours (in flowing traffic, not gridlock on the 401) and am still surrounded by buildings.

It's probably because Calgary is isolated in the middle of undeveloped foothills, farmland, ranches and a big First Nations reservation, and is shot through with parks and green spaces. So as lovely as we are, and as bad as the bird count has gotten over the years, we still have a lot of "wild"life in a city of over a million. Hawks and falcons are everywhere during the warm months, there's deer in most of the parks and sometimes they hang out by roads. Coyotes adapt very well to human presence and I used to live in an apartment where I could hear them singing most nights. My dad took pictures of a bobcat with kits in his front yard. It's not unheard of for moose, bears or even mountain lions to amble into town up one of the river valleys, although that usually makes the news when it happens. I've been here most of my life (and in even smaller more isolated places when I wasn't) so I just kind of take that as normal, but obviously it's not, at least in terms of more developed nations.

Frankly that pic of steakandchips locale gave me straight up agoraphobia - I've lived my entire life in the middle of London, and the countryside is just somewhere to visit at very high speed along NSL A-roads before scuttling back to the nearest artisan coffee shop.

Having said that, despite living in an area with a population density about the same as a mosh pit, I can see peregrine falcons out of my window (well I could with binoculars) - there's roosting boxes at the top of 1 Canada Square (second tallest building in London) for them, and they help to keep pigeon numbers down in Canary Wharf. I think with the exception of badgers (and the tiny amount of indigenous snake species) I've got every type of wildlife the British Isles has to offer within a few miles and - more importantly - know that I'm the most dangerous species in the area by a long, long way. Some say it's a tragedy that the Saxons and Normans hunted every non-domesticated mammal bigger than a badger to extinction, I say I'm not Obelix and have no desire whatsoever to tangle with a wild boar if I decide to go look at a tree.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I lived and worked in Canary Wharf for a while. I prefer the countryside.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I could see not wanting to live in something that crowded forever, but I used to live in The Tower hotel and work in Butler's Wharf and that was the best commute I've had in my life (walking obviously). Other than working from home I guess, but it was cool to walk across the bridge and then along the river every day.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Steakandchips posted:

I lived and worked in Canary Wharf for a while. I prefer the countryside.

We've got the Mudchute, it has grass and trees and cows and llamas, and also sounds like a rude word - who could need anything else?

MomJeans420 posted:

I could see not wanting to live in something that crowded forever, but I used to live in The Tower hotel and work in Butler's Wharf and that was the best commute I've had in my life (walking obviously). Other than working from home I guess, but it was cool to walk across the bridge and then along the river every day.

That *is* the best place to stay in the area, because if you're in the hotel you can't see the outside of that giant concrete turd.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Supradog posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YS15RLUQ_FU&t=372s

and people say top boxes are dorky for some reason

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

Supradog posted:

joke 1: the forward controls are to keep the front down

joke 2: american bosozoku

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

Edit: Wrong thread, sorry goons.

gileadexile fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Nov 20, 2021

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

That *is* the best place to stay in the area, because if you're in the hotel you can't see the outside of that giant concrete turd.

It looks like it should be an American government building, but I think the approach is build it cheap with tons of concrete and make sure as many rooms as possible look out on Tower Bridge. To this day I still can't drink Leffe Blonde as that was the only decent beer on tap.

(I'm not a monster, I spent most of my time drinking cask ale at other places)

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Steakandchips, what problem are you attempting to solve by going to 3 phase service?

Personally, if I were to live in an area like that, I'd be pricing out solar panels and residential wind turbines.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Solar in Scotland? lmao

Residential wind doesn't make poo poo for power either; reasonably high rated turbines can be quite cheap, but they'll never make consistent power unless they're well clear of any nearby obstructions, which typically means lofting the thing a minimum of 10 metres above the top of your house.

Even if they worked well neither of these things would fix the issue of how to pump a lot of juice into a bike in a shorter space of time.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Nitrox posted:

Steakandchips, what problem are you attempting to solve by going to 3 phase service?

Personally, if I were to live in an area like that, I'd be pricing out solar panels and residential wind turbines.

If you want big solar and big wind, you need 3 phase to feed it back to the grid if you generate more than you use by a significant margin.

Also 22KW AC chargers need 3 phase.

Renaissance Robot posted:

Solar in Scotland? lmao

Residential wind doesn't make poo poo for power either; reasonably high rated turbines can be quite cheap, but they'll never make consistent power unless they're well clear of any nearby obstructions, which typically means lofting the thing a minimum of 10 metres above the top of your house.

Even if they worked well neither of these things would fix the issue of how to pump a lot of juice into a bike in a shorter space of time.

Solar works fine here, and I have tons of roof space (it's a large single storey house).

Wind works very well here, it's super windy. If I got a 25k wind turbine, it could easily generate enough juice for both me, my neighbour and then have some left over to feed back to the grid.

It's not a big issue to me, juicing up the bike fast. If I need to go somewhere fast on a bike and the LiveWire is low, I'll just ride Bob.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH

Some kinda golf ball dimple thing to brake up wind drag?
Apparently the side cases are made by corbin, and on a 2005 Kawasaki ZZR 1200.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That looks like a rhino's arse.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
The license plate illuminator is Jim Carrey

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Eww.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Phy posted:

The license plate illuminator is Jim Carrey

:lol:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Supradog posted:

It looks like if Sir Mix-A-Lot had a side gig designing bikes for Suzuki in the late 90s/early 00s.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Yeah, I got a lotta junk in the trunk ;) (It's just old receipts, fast food napkins, half drank water bottles, random tools, and a dead light bulb)

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Steakandchips posted:

If you want big solar and big wind, you need 3 phase to feed it back to the grid if you generate more than you use by a significant margin.

Also 22KW AC chargers need 3 phase.

Solar works fine here, and I have tons of roof space (it's a large single storey house).

Wind works very well here, it's super windy. If I got a 25k wind turbine, it could easily generate enough juice for both me, my neighbour and then have some left over to feed back to the grid.

It's not a big issue to me, juicing up the bike fast. If I need to go somewhere fast on a bike and the LiveWire is low, I'll just ride Bob.

You still haven't answered my question. What is the problem you have charging your bike right now? What is your service and how fast does it allow you to charge?

You can generate electricity without feeding it back into the grid, which is a normal thing on farms and rural communities. There are 1500-2000 watt kits on Amazon that will charge a battery bank. You can keep buying batteries to increase capacity. This is completely unrelated to your motorcycle issue of course. Although theoretically you could store power and then dump it into your bike rapidly, but I'm not a qualified electrician to recommend something like that.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Supradog posted:

Golf ball dimples improve lift as it spins. Putting them on the back of cases like that would do basically nothing.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Nitrox posted:

You still haven't answered my question. What is the problem you have charging your bike right now? What is your service and how fast does it allow you to charge?

The only way they'll be able to charge their LiveWire at more power than 1.5kW at home is to have their own DCFC station. There are options but they cost a lot.

This is the cheapest DC charger I can find, and I hope to get one for my Energica since my AC charge speed is limited at 3kW: https://www.evseadapters.com/products/portable-chademo-ccs-combo-dc-quick-charger/

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Nitrox posted:

You can generate electricity without feeding it back into the grid, which is a normal thing on farms and rural communities. There are 1500-2000 watt kits on Amazon that will charge a battery bank. You can keep buying batteries to increase capacity. This is completely unrelated to your motorcycle issue of course. Although theoretically you could store power and then dump it into your bike rapidly, but I'm not a qualified electrician to recommend something like that.

I don't have a problem charging my bike right now, the 22KW charger would be for an electric car possibly in the future. I've got the electricians around anyway doing other things, so wanted to check how much 3 phase would be.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Supradog posted:

Those are Corbin beetle bags. Corbin might be known for their motorcycle seats, but they also made hard luggage, and they still make these. Kinda says everything you need to know about their design sensibilities:

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I just went on Corbin site, and while they do offer hard bags, can't seem to find those exact once

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I think the beetle bags are discontinued, laughed out of existence by the collective motorcycle hive mind.

However, google has evidence of their shame

VFR:

Superhawk:

Hayabusa:

I’m sure there are others

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

For your favorite boomer twelve year old.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Grom Content (Gromtent?) from Phuket, Thailand. April 2019. Had a lot of fun riding this thing around over there. I would always try and find a Grom if I could at the scooter shops, even if it meant having to check a few out.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Those are so hilariously tasteless! Thanks Jim

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I think the beetle bags are discontinued, laughed out of existence by the collective motorcycle hive mind.

However, google has evidence of their shame

VFR:

Superhawk:

Hayabusa:

I’m sure there are others

I think they're slowly selling off the old stock cause I was looking on their site earlier and they still list them for the busa and a Honda cruiser

Also, I present to you, a satan:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Phy posted:

I think they're slowly selling off the old stock cause I was looking on their site earlier and they still list them for the busa and a Honda cruiser

Also, I present to you, a satan:

This needs to be wiped from the face of the earth and all records of it existing expunged lest future generations make the same catastrophic mistake

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Looks like something from those Ninja Turtles sets from the early 90s.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
It's funny how the 60s and 70s made some pretty timeless design for to limited materials and techniques.

80s brought in "hey check out this futuristic poo poo that's still kind of angular and boxy" and then the 90s came in and tries to make everything look like it's melting.

Funny what new materials and manufacturing techniques will do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

numberoneposter posted:

Grom Content (Gromtent?) from Phuket, Thailand. April 2019. Had a lot of fun riding this thing around over there. I would always try and find a Grom if I could at the scooter shops, even if it meant having to check a few out.

How "safe" is riding a scooter in a place like Phuket? I would very much like to rent scooters and scoot around places in foreign countries-- but I have no desire to ride in like, major cities in India/China/Vietnam from what I've seen and heard from coworkers.