Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Dead Goon posted:

Ozzy was loving awful, hope that helps.

Why past tense anyway? Did he pass or something when I wasn't paying attention? He's still awful as far as I know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
BOLT THROWER

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Hot Diggity! posted:

BOLT THROWER

petit choux posted:

The Luciano Pavarotti of metal and he's "loving awful." Thanks a lot wiseass.

I quite like Pavarotti, bit of a disservice to compare him to Ozzy, but anyway, people like different things.

Dead Goon fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Nov 17, 2021

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

petit choux posted:

Why past tense anyway? Did he pass or something when I wasn't paying attention? He's still awful as far as I know.

No, it looks like he attempting to finish his second farewell tour atm. His ill health and Sharon running him into the ground cannot be good for him at any rate.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I'm honestly sick of all the Ozzy reverence as well. He was fine in Black Sabbath, and those are all good albums in spire of him. I also like his 80's solo albums but there's nothing special about them. In fact they're boarder line glam IMHO. If it wasn't for Sharon and her manipulation, he'd be forgotten, but we probably shouldn't get into her machinations here.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

Turbinosamente posted:

You could probably have this same argument about any band or singer that for better or worse is the most popular and widely known act in their genre, doesn't have to be Metallica. Do the prog guys have the same argument about Yes? Do pop fans have arguments about Taylor Swift or whoever is top dog there?

Yes chat is like Simpsons chat, half the discussion is some variation of "why do they still exist"

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

petit choux posted:

The Luciano Pavarotti of metal and he's "loving awful." Thanks a lot wiseass.
Uh, that's Dio, who is also the best Black Sabbath singer.

Edit: also, Metallica is Gen X's rolling stones. They were decent in their 20s, but somehow are still putting out records 30 years later.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

JAMOOOL posted:

Yes chat is like Simpsons chat, half the discussion is some variation of "why do they still exist"

I want to lol but that's probably rude. Since Rick Wakeman is apparently backing Ozzy on the current tour is it fair to say he finally officially cashed out of Yes after waffling for so long?

Edit: whoops it's his son Adam backing Ozzy, I can't read.

Turbinosamente fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Nov 17, 2021

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Anyway, new records!

Have a badly focussed picture of Autechre - SIGN and PLUS.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Dead Goon posted:

There was a Metallica documentary I tried to watch the other day - "Some Kind Of Monster"?

It was loving awful, and I managed about 15 minutes before I switched it off.

I feel if you keep watching, you’d change your opinion. Maybe not fully, but to a degree. You get to watch a band implode in front of your eyes, and even as a fan of them it’s incredible to watch.

Plus Bob Rock totally thought they were going to ask him to join the band and lol.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

EL BROMANCE posted:

I feel if you keep watching, you’d change your opinion. Maybe not fully, but to a degree. You get to watch a band implode in front of your eyes, and even as a fan of them, it’s incredible to watch.

Plus, Bob Rock totally thought they were going to ask him to join the band and, lol.

I'll give it a go, I have nothing better to do.

What they did to Jason though was sickening, and they never should have been without a bass player if they weren't all dickheads to the best player they had after Cliff.

Bob Rock lol.

I'd never actually seen him before, but obviously heard all the great stuff he's done with bands.

Not what I was expecting.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

stealie72 posted:

Uh, that's Dio, who is also the best Black Sabbath singer.

Edit: also, Metallica is Gen X's rolling stones. They were decent in their 20s, but somehow are still putting out records 30 years later.

Maybe voice-wise but in overall build and stature I'd say it's Ozzy.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

He’s in one of the previous docs they did too, ‘A Year and a Half in the Life of Metallica’ part one is recording black album, part two is touring it. As a kid, I watched those tapes so many times.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Dead Goon posted:

Wasn't for me. Oh well, different strokes and all that!

You only made it 15 minutes in!

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

Turbinosamente posted:

I want to lol but that's probably rude. Since Rick Wakeman is apparently backing Ozzy on the current tour is it fair to say he finally officially cashed out of Yes after waffling for so long?

Edit: whoops it's his son Adam backing Ozzy, I can't read.

current Yes lineup is:

Steve Howe (more skeleton than music)
Geoff Downes (ex-Buggle who played on Drama and Fly From Here)
Billy Sherwood (the man behind the universally derided Open Your Eyes who had to fill in for Squire)
Alan White (who can't really play anymore)
Jon Davison (dude who was recruited by Tennessee prog band Glass Hammer because he sounded so much like Jon Anderson, who later just got poached by Yes...which, lets face it, is pretty funny)

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

Dead Goon posted:

Anyway, new records!

Have a badly focussed picture of Autechre - SIGN and PLUS.

was actually spinning these both yesterday. I think they're both great. PLUS in particular is exactly the sort of album I've wanted them to make for a decade - I mean Exai is amazing (maybe their best?) and both elseq & NTS contain plenty of career highlights but it's nice to hear a tight hour-long album from them again

kind of wonder how PLUS would have been received had it came out first - the way it was done made it come off like an album of B-sides or a companion EP. it has less than half the ratings on RYM.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Iron Crowned posted:

I'm just personally constantly amazed that people are still that into Metallica, when they're pretty much normie metal at this point.

I think you just answered your own question though? They made a decision to try to appeal to as wide an audience as possible and it paid off.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Ok I have had Ozzy on my mind for a few days because I had an idea for a mashup. Can somebody please make a mashup of Ozzy's "I don't know" with Chicago's "Does anybody really know what time it is?" I think it kinda writes itself.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Iron Crowned posted:

I'm just personally constantly amazed that people are still that into Metallica, when they're pretty much normie metal at this point.

I feel like you're talking out of both sides of your mouth when saying Metallica is normie metal and putting Iron Maiden/Judas Priest/Motorhead/Sabbath folks in your pantheon. It's all normie as poo poo. Which is fine, that doesn't mean it's bad. I listen to a Metallica album twice a year (and a Maiden/Priest/Motorhead/Sabbath album collectively less than that) so it's not exactly occupying any space in my brain outside of this particular derail.

pissinthewind
Nov 11, 2021

The OP doesn't have much in the way of recommendations, just two different ones, my partner is really into vinyl and wants a turntable, I'm looking at sub $150 price range hopefully. Any ideas?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

pissinthewind posted:

The OP doesn't have much in the way of recommendations, just two different ones, my partner is really into vinyl and wants a turntable, I'm looking at sub $150 price range hopefully. Any ideas?

Do you want a new one or a used one and do you have other things that go with a record player, like a receiver with a phono stage, or a phono preamp, or passive/active speakers?

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

pissinthewind posted:

I think the Audio Technica LP60 is a good starting point

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07N47JXML/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_HG2HEF7YWXEWZ903766D?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Not sure used is the way to go if you are new to vinyl with the possibility of having to change cartridges and stylus and such. Just because the thing turns on when you plug it in at the thrift store doesn't mean it is going work. Especially in the sub $150 range.

And yeah. You are gonna need all the stereo equipment to go with it. Don't buy an all in one system. I would say $150 is kinda the bare minimum for JUST the turntable.

sporklift fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Nov 17, 2021

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Barry posted:

I feel like you're talking out of both sides of your mouth when saying Metallica is normie metal and putting Iron Maiden/Judas Priest/Motorhead/Sabbath folks in your pantheon. It's all normie as poo poo. Which is fine, that doesn't mean it's bad. I listen to a Metallica album twice a year (and a Maiden/Priest/Motorhead/Sabbath album collectively less than that) so it's not exactly occupying any space in my brain outside of this particular derail.

Metal

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

JAMOOOL posted:

current Yes lineup is:

Steve Howe (more skeleton than music)
Geoff Downes (ex-Buggle who played on Drama and Fly From Here)
Billy Sherwood (the man behind the universally derided Open Your Eyes who had to fill in for Squire)
Alan White (who can't really play anymore)
Jon Davison (dude who was recruited by Tennessee prog band Glass Hammer because he sounded so much like Jon Anderson, who later just got poached by Yes...which, lets face it, is pretty funny)

Wow gently caress band of Thesesus territory here, I didn't know it was that bad. I'm not deep into the prog scene so I only knew of Wakeman's being in and out. For god knows what reason I am able to tolerate the album Relayer, 20 minute song and all. And Rick isn't on it so that's how I knew. I want to like more prog because the Roger Dean and rip off album covers are so cool, but I just can't get into the music.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Turbinosamente posted:

Wow gently caress band of Thesesus territory here, I didn't know it was that bad. I'm not deep into the prog scene so I only knew of Wakeman's being in and out. For god knows what reason I am able to tolerate the album Relayer, 20 minute song and all. And Rick isn't on it so that's how I knew. I want to like more prog because the Roger Dean and rip off album covers are so cool, but I just can't get into the music.

Krautrock rules as far as i can tell

My first Yes album was a bootleg of Yessongs I bought at a garage sale and played on my shoebox tape recorder. It was the mid 70s. It was sooooooooooooooooooo magical to me. I think I now have most of Jon Anderson's records. My goto band for glittery psychedelia would be other old bands, Gong and Ozric Tentacles. Also I have a crush on the Tentacles' bassist, she is so badass.

When I was a boy I joined Columbia Record Club (for one cent!) and bought every Rick Wakeman album from the "cutout bin," along with most of Jethro Tull's. I kinda wonder what Rick has been up to over the past 20 years or so.

ED: I also regret not having bought all of Kraftwerk's albums from the cutouts as well.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Nov 17, 2021

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

BigFactory posted:

You only made it 15 minutes in!

I will try harder.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

SND - 4, 5, 6

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

:hmmorks:

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Okay, I'm changing my pitch on Rick, I'm looking at all his old videos and I think this guy has really been living the life. Yessongs may have been the high point for him but he never stopped playing and enjoying himself, or so it appears.

When I was in my early teens I was pretty attached to this album, thanks to Columbia Record Club. I personally think it may have been his high point:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZvKUlhpmrQ

OMG Imma listen to it

OMG I don't know if I can do this

petit choux fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Nov 17, 2021

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

The Bandit posted:

Okay, so here’s my question, why does any mention of Metallica elicit this response where 50% of people automatically have to mention how they suck or were good in the 80s? If someone brings up ozzy, I don’t immediately go to how a lot of his solo stuff is poo poo. But it’s almost like music is subjective. My favorite mastodon is crack the skye, which from discussions with other people seems pretty uncommon.

Any one of those first six Black Sabbath albums is better than the entire Metallica catalog so that buys a lot of goodwill.

pissinthewind posted:

If you're looking to spent 150 or less on a whole system you're not going to get anything but one of those lovely build in speaker things they sell at Target which are just vinyl erasers. If your range for just the turntable is 150 then I'll echo what other people said and suggest the Audio Technica LP60. I would also suggest checking out vintage refurbs if you have a store that sells old stereo equipment. Many record stores will have them as well. I would advise against getting an old TT from a thrift store or flea market for a number of reasons. A bit of warning though, if you're budget conscious then this is the wrong hobby. It's pretty much the worst time to get into record collecting now because everything is far, far more expensive than its ever been. Good luck.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
CPL593H are you doing okay man? It seems like your fixated a bit too much on the cost of records these days. Yes the cost of a brand new vinyl record has gotten high, but it seems like you're actively discouraging anyone coming by who wants to get into the hobby.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Turbinosamente posted:

you're actively discouraging anyone coming by who wants to get into the hobby.

Doing the lord’s work.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

CPL593H posted:

I would advise against getting an old TT from a thrift store or flea market for a number of reasons. A bit of warning though, if you're budget conscious then this is the wrong hobby. It's pretty much the worst time to get into record collecting now because everything is far, far more expensive than its ever been. Good luck.

OTOH I bought a turntable at Goodwill for $6 15 years ago, so YMMV. It needed a cartridge and a belt and some serious cleaning. You can find decent entry level turntables at the thrift, it's just that the good ones get snapped up fast. I have a backup turntable, an Aiwa PX-E850, from a thrift, I could pass it on for like $50 shipped CONUS, at my ebay page. No doubt it needs a cartridge. PM me if interested.

I also buy old records and usually pay about a dollar each, unless it's something *special*. I really don't see the point to that very much, I'm usually content with MP3s but the old stuff, you sometimes even find stuff that isn't on the internet. That's becoming rare nowadays though.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Turbinosamente posted:

You could probably have this same argument about any band or singer that for better or worse is the most popular and widely known act in their genre, doesn't have to be Metallica. Do the prog guys have the same argument about Yes? Do pop fans have arguments about Taylor Swift or whoever is top dog there?

the prog guys, for the record, are constantly arguing about dream theater

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

petit choux posted:

Krautrock rules as far as i can tell

My first Yes album was a bootleg of Yessongs I bought at a garage sale and played on my shoebox tape recorder. It was the mid 70s. It was sooooooooooooooooooo magical to me. I think I now have most of Jon Anderson's records. My goto band for glittery psychedelia would be other old bands, Gong and Ozric Tentacles. Also I have a crush on the Tentacles' bassist, she is so badass.

When I was a boy I joined Columbia Record Club (for one cent!) and bought every Rick Wakeman album from the "cutout bin," along with most of Jethro Tull's. I kinda wonder what Rick has been up to over the past 20 years or so.

ED: I also regret not having bought all of Kraftwerk's albums from the cutouts as well.

one neat/frustrating thing about Yessongs is that you almost never find a decent-looking copy. every single time I've seen one it looked like it was falling apart. since it contained basically everything from their 3 most recent albums (minus "South Side of the Sky") and came at the height of Yesmania I imagine people just listened to it a bunch. it's such a killer live album, too.

I've got a lot of Rick's solo LPs - they're quite common, as for some reason in the mid-70s he was selling nearly as many records as Yes themselves. it's funny how he has this reputation as the "down to Earth" Yesman who likes beer and chicken wings when his solo albums are the most ridiculous poo poo - one of them is literally a soundtrack to some King Arthur on Ice thing. Six Wives is quite good though.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

hexwren posted:

the prog guys, for the record, are constantly arguing about dream theater

I forgot about that from the one time I dipped into the prog thread recently. I did buy a ticket for the tour that was postponed this year just because I wanted to see famous dudes/go to a show that was a little out of the ordinary for me. Oh well, here's to holding on to a ticket for another year.

And the only solo Rick thing I have is the Listzomania soundtrack so make of that what you will.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Turbinosamente posted:

CPL593H are you doing okay man? It seems like your fixated a bit too much on the cost of records these days. Yes the cost of a brand new vinyl record has gotten high, but it seems like you're actively discouraging anyone coming by who wants to get into the hobby.

Its kinda CPL593H's thing. And they aren't really wrong. Prices have increased to the point where I am starting to pump the brakes on new releases. $10-15 for a 7" and $30-40 for an LP. gently caress that. If you are on a budget this might not be the time to get into this hobby, especially if you want to start collecting more modern popular releases. That being said I constantly find pretty good deals on stuff. $10-$15 albums can still be found. And sometimes you can still find good budget bin stuff out in the wild. I'm lucky/cursed that I started in the 90's so the base of my collection was substantial before things started going off the rails.

And as far as equipment goes. I started out with hand me downs and thrift store stuff that slowly got replaced with better components. Buying a whole audio set up all at once can be pretty expensive for the most part.

sporklift fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Nov 17, 2021

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Turbinosamente posted:

CPL593H are you doing okay man?

No, not really.

quote:

It seems like your fixated a bit too much on the cost of records these days. Yes the cost of a brand new vinyl record has gotten high, but it seems like you're actively discouraging anyone coming by who wants to get into the hobby.

New comers should know exactly what they're getting themselves into because at this point it's not even worth bothering unless the bubble bursts soon. The used market is completely bonkers.

petit choux posted:

OTOH I bought a turntable at Goodwill for $6 15 years ago, so YMMV. It needed a cartridge and a belt and some serious cleaning. You can find decent entry level turntables at the thrift, it's just that the good ones get snapped up fast. I have a backup turntable, an Aiwa PX-E850, from a thrift, I could pass it on for like $50 shipped CONUS, at my ebay page. No doubt it needs a cartridge. PM me if interested.

I also buy old records and usually pay about a dollar each, unless it's something *special*. I really don't see the point to that very much, I'm usually content with MP3s but the old stuff, you sometimes even find stuff that isn't on the internet. That's becoming rare nowadays though.

I'm not saying that it's impossible to get a good turntable from thrift stores/flea markets/etc. The problem is that unless you're buying it from a knowledgeable dealer there are a bunch of issues you might run into especially if you don't know what to look for. If you get it from a record store or something they've looked it over and maybe even fixed it up a bit. Getting something used from a record store or the like is one of the better entry level options if your price range is 150 and below. I would recommend thrift stores and flea markets for receivers. As long as they aren't burned out or visibly damaged the biggest problem you're likely to have is you need to spray some stuff with contact cleaner.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

petit choux posted:

OTOH I bought a turntable at Goodwill for $6 15 years ago, so YMMV. It needed a cartridge and a belt and some serious cleaning. You can find decent entry level turntables at the thrift, it's just that the good ones get snapped up fast.

I agree with this also with the following conditions:

1) the OP or his SO actively enjoy thrifting/estate sales or doing things like doggedly checking Craigslist and Facebook marketplace. If you don’t enjoy doing this and really just want to buy something now and plug it in and have it work, don’t try to buy a cheap, local, second hand turntable.

2) you don’t mind tinkering around with something a little, or being disappointed if the thing you paid $10 for is broken. If you’re paying $50-$100 for a turntable on Craigslist and the seller says it works, i would hope that it does actually work and/or you can test it before you buy.

I have found several turntables at thrift stores, and I don’t think I’ve paid more than $15 for one ever. One worked beautifully right from the start and I sold it for a lot more than the $10 I paid for it after cleaning it up a bit. Another one was my daily driver turntable for a good long time. I bought it without a cartridge or headshell (which I had, so it wasn’t money out of pocket, but you can get cheap cartridges for well under $100), and I had to look up the model online and find a new belt for it. The belt was probably $10 and it’s a 2 minute replacement job. If you are the least bit mechanically or electrically able and you like to tinker with things, this could be a fun project.

The downside to a thrift store turntable is that there probably isn’t one on the shelf at your local thrift store. And there probably won’t be one tomorrow. You have to go to one or several thrift stores with some kind of frequency. Some people enjoy doing that and get excited when they find cool things (I do), so this isn’t really a chore. I know that’s not for everyone though.

Craigslist, etc is the middle ground between the thrift store and buying something new (or used from a dealer). It’s a pretty safe bet that there is a turntable on Craigslist or Facebook driving distance from you. It’s going to be a lot more than $10, but there are still deals out there. You run the risk that you’re going to get ripped off, but I’ve bought a lot of stuff on Craigslist over the years and really have never had a bad experience. For the most part I think people are pretty fair.

If you do want to go the Craigslist route, op, feel free to post what you’re looking at and I’d be happy to give an opinion on whether it’s an obvious rip off or not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

FB marketplace is a good way to find stereo equipment too. Not as many people trying to get rid of this stuff as there used to be but you still find a lot of people who are like "whatever, just get this out of my house"

also to expound on the above post, as long as you have the model number of your turntable it's actually really easy to find replacement parts. even stuff like replacement remotes for 30+ year old receivers can usually be found quickly.

JAMOOOL fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Nov 17, 2021