Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

The Rise of Skywalker of the MCUs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

i guess i'm a bit outta the loop on this — are these spiderman movies that big? people going to a movie theater just to watch a trailer? wtf

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

i guess i'm a bit outta the loop on this — are these spiderman movies that big? people going to a movie theater just to watch a trailer? wtf

"people" do this, yes

They also did it for the star wars movies and stuff. It turns out when brand is your god you make pilgrimages.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

All of the movies, even the bad Amazing ones, were huge blockbucksters. Far From Home made over a billion.

It's also because Maguire and Garfield are going to be in it. They've been trying to pretend to hide it for awhile which is pretty dumb because I would have showed them from the first teaser.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Spider-Man should have a cape

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Exactly how I felt. I'm pumped for this movie.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

lol bull fuckin poo poo netflix always puts out these insane numbers i wish they had to share actual stats

https://twitter.com/labuzamovies/status/1460748273489092612?s=21

ive never even heard of this, they think 20% of america watched it last week? what the hell?

oh is the rock/gadot/reynolds picture

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

has anyone ever figured out why the youtube algorithm loves this song so much it really stands out as something that gets recommended at the slightest provocation despite not being that particularly well known or famous

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
yeah idk it's just one city pop song from the 80s and there are like 10 trillion of those on youtube.

maybe cause she's making a good thumbnail face on the cover??

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Spider-Man should have a cape

And a Glock

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

mastershakeman posted:

ive never even heard of this, they think 20% of america watched it last week? what the hell?

oh is the rock/gadot/reynolds picture

I "watched it" and turned it off after a bit. It is very boring. I guarantee that IF those numbers are real, then I'd count as having "watched it".

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

the thing thats really bugging me about the no way home trailer is that theyre really playing up the whole everybody irrationally hates spider man angle despite this not actually being true for any of the five spider man movies being referenced the villains all had distinct motives that had very little to do with spider man except to the extent that he kept insisting on getting in their way

its like they decided they were going to mash together an into the spiderverse style crossover with the sinister six movie theyve been trying to get working for the last decade and have been so unsuccessful in trying to find a way to make that work logically the trailer is forced to resort to promoting such exciting character beats as doctor strange being dedicated both to swearing and scooby doo references

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

another esteemed director touches the poop; mcu fans losing their poo poo in the replies

https://twitter.com/FilmUpdates/status/1461007334378020872

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

Some Guy TT posted:

the thing thats really bugging me about the no way home trailer is that theyre really playing up the whole everybody irrationally hates spider man angle despite this not actually being true for any of the five spider man movies being referenced the villains all had distinct motives that had very little to do with spider man except to the extent that he kept insisting on getting in their way

its like they decided they were going to mash together an into the spiderverse style crossover with the sinister six movie theyve been trying to get working for the last decade and have been so unsuccessful in trying to find a way to make that work logically the trailer is forced to resort to promoting such exciting character beats as doctor strange being dedicated both to swearing and scooby doo references

They saw Into The Spider-Verse, ignored all the of character writing and presentation and only absorbed 'People love a megacrossover of Spider-Mans'

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Some Guy TT posted:

has anyone ever figured out why the youtube algorithm loves this song so much it really stands out as something that gets recommended at the slightest provocation despite not being that particularly well known or famous

I think it became a common target for remixes and memes around the time vaporwave got popular.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

citypop has had a boom in the west

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

YaketySass posted:

I think it became a common target for remixes and memes around the time vaporwave got popular.

yeah it kind of blew up on youtube to the tune of millions of views, got remixed a bunch and then metastasized out into all the usual suspects like tumblr.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Stairmaster posted:

citypop has had a boom in the west

yeah but it's just one of so many city pop songs on youtube and it wasn't the first either. People just decided to latch onto this one song in particular for some reason. I mean it's not a bad song

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

babypolis posted:

did anyone watch that red notice movie? the bit that plays as a preview looked disgustingly bad, with some truly gnarly CGI

McCloud posted:

I just saw Red Notice, it's exactly the kind of movie you'd expect it to be. The rock and Ryan reynolds play the one character they know how to play, and Gal...can't even manage that. But the action comedy routine is kinda funny so it averages out to an alright movie.

If you think Ryan Reynolds and the rocks schtick is entertaining it's an alright movie. If you don't there's literally nothing for you here

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

DesertIslandHermit posted:

All of the movies, even the bad Amazing ones, were huge blockbucksters. Far From Home made over a billion.

It's also because Maguire and Garfield are going to be in it. They've been trying to pretend to hide it for awhile which is pretty dumb because I would have showed them from the first teaser.

looking at the imdb cast I'm honestly shocked they brought in Foxx and Dafoe

going by the trailer I thought they were CGI/impersonator standins, like what they did with Hugo Weaving in Infinity War

They saw Into The Spider-Verse, ignored all the of character writing and presentation and only absorbed 'People love a megacrossover of Spider-Mans'

Spider-Verse only worked because the suits weren't interested in a cartoon, and by the time they realized its potential it was too late to interfere

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
I am surprised Mcguire can still show his face, after what he did to a hollywood princess.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Sure am excited by another poster of an ensemble cast in weird costumes standing in front of green screen with an overexposed background laid over :allears:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

another esteemed director touches the poop; mcu fans losing their poo poo in the replies

https://twitter.com/FilmUpdates/status/1461007334378020872

Don't care

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/scottwongDC/status/1461063478588936200

:same:

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

McCloud posted:

If you think Ryan Reynolds and the rocks schtick is entertaining it's an alright movie. If you don't there's literally nothing for you here

How does it compare to something like Demolition Man? The Rob Schneider bit w/ the 3 seashells is probably still funny.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

I'm so tired of jokes like that.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

spider-man was the most popular superhero character in the world for decades, op

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

spider-man was the most popular superhero character in the world for decades, op

yeah i just only ever saw the toby maguire ones (and spider verse), don't really have a gauge for the popularity of the holland ones since (unlike verse) i never really saw many memes/posts/tweets about them online

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits
THIS CHRISTMAS LETS GO

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Uncle Wemus posted:

I'm so tired of jokes like that.

so uh THAT happened

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
also i'm confused, disney owns marvel poo poo now but sony has retroactive rights to spiderman, but why is doctor strange in it

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

AnimeIsTrash posted:

She has 1 character and she can't even play that one well.

once AWKWAFINA wasn’t allowed to use AAVE anymore it became clear she couldn’t act her way out of a paper bag

It's more fitting humor for someone to bring up the name when the tension is gone. Like if some citizens looking over a newspaper said 'The Vulture? What kind of name is that? A zoo mascot?', it'd be more amusing than a tension-breaking quip as the hero confronts the dangerous villain that was only written in because of Whedon Rot/attempting to make 'meme' scenes.

Spider-Man is supposed to annoy his enemies with quips, ribs, and insults, problem is MCU has no A material

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Xaris posted:

also i'm confused, disney owns marvel poo poo now but sony has retroactive rights to spiderman, but why is doctor strange in it

disney had a not-owning-spider-man problem and sony had a spider-man-not-making-as-much-as-avengers problem so they teamed up. sony apparently gets most of the money for these individual films i think?

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Xaris posted:

they worked out a deal because disney was running out of heroes to put in their marvel movies and couldn't use spiderman until sony failed so much with spiderman that they stopped making spiderman movies for a certain period of time and thus let the rights lapse. marvel basically bailed out sony and that lady who got in trouble for having her emails leaked a while back during the north korean hack. they instantly went into making their "spiderman" films like venom and morbius, which have all been extra poo poo but successful

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

josh04 posted:

disney had a not-owning-spider-man problem and sony had a spider-man-not-making-as-much-as-avengers problem so they teamed up. sony apparently gets most of the money for these individual films i think?

Judakel posted:

they worked out a deal because disney was running out of heroes to put in their marvel movies and couldn't use spiderman until sony failed so much with spiderman that they stopped making spiderman movies for a certain period of time and thus let the rights lapse. marvel basically bailed out sony and that lady who got in trouble for having her emails leaked a while back. they instantly went into making their "spiderman" films like venom and morbius, which have all been extra poo poo but successful
:tipshat:

nothing like mega bucks money to bring diverse multi-national mega corporations together. it really makes the heart swell :3:

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
really, the party which might deserve most of the credit for the sony and marvel collab is north korea, which hacked that lady's emails and i assume contributed somewhat to their desperation as a studio

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Judakel posted:

really, the party which might deserve most of the credit for the sony and marvel collab is north korea, which hacked that lady's emails and i assume contributed somewhat to their desperation as a studio

Did they ever actually prove it was North Korea. I thought the evidence pointed to an inside job.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Judakel posted:

Spidey thought

Hey Amy - just a couple of rando thoughts from 35,000 LAX-JFK:

- A rising trend we see with Millennials are the really extreme forms of experiential exercise like Tough Mudder (a sort of filthy triathalon), the Color Run and even things like Hot Power Yoga, veganism etc. Millennials will often post “N.B.D.” on their social media after doing it , as in No Big Deal, also known as the “humble brag”…..wondering if Spidey could get into that in some way….he’s super athletic, bendy, strong, intense….and it’s all NBD to him, of course.

- EDM (electronic dance music) is the defining music for Millennials. Wondering if there’s an EDM angle somewhere with Spidey? His movements are beautiful, would be awesome with a killer DJ behind it

- Snapchat just launched a “story” functionality, which is sort of “day in the life of me” told in a series of snapchats that expire after 24 hours. It has a very VIP quality about it, since invitation only. Getting invited into Spidey’s Snapchat circle would be huge, and very buzzworthy and cool.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/DrMarkPBarry/status/1460996091223195651

interesting claim by netflix given that according to flixpatrol squid game only just passed lupins numbers maybe a week ago just for this year let alone all time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

on a related subject did people only notice in the last week that hbo max has the justice league cartoon because it just shot to the top of the hbo max chart