Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Nonexistence posted:

Tell us more!

The False Claims Act allows for relators (ie whistleblowers) to report people who defraud the government. If the US attorney takes the case, the relator is entitled to some percentage of the recovery, 15% or so I believe. If the government doesn’t take the case then the relator is free to sue on behalf of the government and gets a bigger cut, 25% to 30% plus attorneys fees.

For things like Medicare fraud or government contractor fraud, with contracts in the tens of millions, plus the potential for treble damages and penalties, it can be pretty lucrative for the relator.

Phil Moscowitz fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Nov 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
So, my stepdad died last monday. I say stepdad, but he and mom were never officially together on paper, they were just together for 17 years. His kids went to a lawyer and stuff, and when they said they would talk to mom about the will, the specific wording they gave us was "we can discuss the will that was submitted if you want". does this mean that there was a different possible will that could have applied, but they went with the one they did? because he said earlier this year he was working on updating his will, but it seems that since this summer he got so busy he put it on the backburner, and so when he passed the will he was supposedly working on might have been on his work computer that the company demanded be returned immediately.

I am curious because the will being used is from 2013, and only benefits his biological kids, with my mom mentioned in only the case that all his kids are dead. and if she is also dead, then everything he owns goes to charity. I am assuming that he was planning on updating things recently to help mom out if he passed, but that's of course something I can't know unless the files his company returns shows as such.(edit: and since they are being returned to the kids, we are completely at the mercy of them honoring it and letting us know about it)

The wording they gave us when saying they would discuss the will with us seemed extremely peculiar to me. Like they had different wills to choose from and picked the one that benefited them the most to the exclusion of everyone else(specifically, my mom).

like he is leaving a LOT of money to his kids. mom didn't even want anything significant, just to be able to replace the like 30-year-old siding on the house so it's not so drafty. I hate having to discuss and think about this poo poo at all right now. they let mom take a few (notably of only sentimental value, of course) things from his house that they don't want. I am pretty sure because she wasn't officially married to him, despite being his SO for 17 years, there's nothing for her except to get completely hosed over by life yet again.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Nov 16, 2021

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!

Captain Invictus posted:

"we can discuss the will that was submitted if you want"

To me, this sounds more like the kids are worried your mom is going to turn up with a will out of nowhere giving her everything. They’re emphasizing up front that the one they’re referencing is “the will that was submitted” to give it authority over anything else that may come up.

If you’re in a common law state, you can probably make a pretty strong claim, but other than that she’s probably SoL.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
You need a lawyer to investigate, I primarily do trusts & estates lit and stepwhatevers are far and away the top of the list for undue influence/forging wills/whatever. Don't believe anything they say or allow them to be the gatekeeper of any information.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I had to explain to someone what discovery, due diligence and foreknowledge meant, today.

They were pissy that I would only accept “yeah the paperwork says it’s bad and unsafe, but it’s actually fine” in writing. Their argument was that all I had to do was not show the other party the paperwork.

Thought of you guys.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Nonexistence posted:

You need a lawyer to investigate, I primarily do trusts & estates lit and stepwhatevers are far and away the top of the list for undue influence/forging wills/whatever. Don't believe anything they say or allow them to be the gatekeeper of any information.
We are the stepwhatevers, dealing with his biological kids. and we're not even the stepwhatevers, because they weren't officially married. they lived separately due to his hoarding tendencies, they decided it would be better for the relationship.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

Where's the outcome where your client stops wasting money on your services trying to get blood from a stone?

drat bold take in the... lawyer thread?

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014

Captain Invictus posted:

We are the stepwhatevers, dealing with his biological kids. and we're not even the stepwhatevers, because they weren't officially married. they lived separately due to his hoarding tendencies, they decided it would be better for the relationship.

Right, the advice goes both ways

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

drat bold take in the... lawyer thread?

There's a reason why the term "judgement-proof" exists, and a frequent usage is when clients need to be told by their lawyers not to bother pursuing this lawsuit further.

It's also used often when explaining to people why they need "uninsured motorist" coverage.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

There's a reason why the term "judgement-proof" exists, and a frequent usage is when clients need to be told by their lawyers not to bother pursuing this lawsuit further.

It's also used often when explaining to people why they need "uninsured motorist" coverage.

haha word? tell me more,,, fascinating

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

When I was riding motorcycles for a while I had a very frustrating conversation with my insurance agent. I told him that I wanted uninsured motorist coverage and medical coverage but I didn't give a poo poo about comprehensive coverage on a $4200 motorcycle. He didn't seem to understand that I wanted full coverage for some jackass running me over and didn't give a poo poo about someone stealing my toy. In my experience people selling uninsured motorist don't know what it means.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Leviathan Song posted:

When I was riding motorcycles for a while I had a very frustrating conversation with my insurance agent. I told him that I wanted uninsured motorist coverage and medical coverage but I didn't give a poo poo about comprehensive coverage on a $4200 motorcycle. He didn't seem to understand that I wanted full coverage for some jackass running me over and didn't give a poo poo about someone stealing my toy. In my experience people selling uninsured motorist don't know what it means.

He didn't understand why you didn't want him to get his big commission.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

Where's the outcome where your client stops wasting money on your services trying to get blood from a stone?

I'll assume for the sake of discussion you were being genuine, and the answer is, "it's up to the client."

No, I don't work on contingency, so the client has to gauge the risk of spending more fees than they might recover with a judgement, and this is true in all plaintiff-side litigation. However, most cases of complex litigation involve both sides arguing the other one owes the money, so it's often a matter of having to be there to defend yourself in addition to seeking your own damages, so the point is moot.

In the limited number of cases where one side has zero counterclaims, and the defendant is presenting as potentially insolvent, it's never 100% for sure that they do, or don't have money, so you have to make your best guess. Compounding that, judgments are still good for many years (10 in Texas, then longer if you revive them) and things change over time. People come into money or property, get back on their feet, inheritances, etc. At least once a year I get a call on some file I worked years back where a title company or mortgage company is trying to close on a deal and they want to know the payoff for the judgment lien, and voila, my client gets a very unexpected and exciting phone call out of the blue that they got their money, finally.

In the end, it's exceedingly rare that a debtor who doesn't have the money to pay for a settlement somehow does have the money to pay for a trial in their defense, so most often they settle, even when claiming they're "judgment proof" because when you put a proposed agreed judgment to them, it calls their bluff.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

blarzgh posted:

In the limited number of cases where one side has zero counterclaims, and the defendant is presenting as potentially insolvent, it's never 100% for sure that they do, or don't have money, so you have to make your best guess. Compounding that, judgments are still good for many years (10 in Texas, then longer if you revive them) and things change over time. People come into money or property, get back on their feet, inheritances, etc.

Yeah that's why I'm surprised that people would ever accept a "proposed agreed judgment" doesn't everyone in the US think they're going to eventually win the lottery or invent Facebook or find oil in their backyard?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Say you got a guy with 3,000,000 in assets and 2,500,000 in liabilities staring down a likely 1,000,000 judgment.

I assume the guy would declare bankruptcy at some point but would he maybe do it before the trial just to delay things? What would the advantages be of declaring bankruptcy beyond the normal "preserve your primary home" stuff?

It seems to me like it would absolutely be better for the guy to sell some assets and come up with at least 200 grand to try and avoid a much worse outcome but maybe its so hard to extract money out of judgments the guy figures he'll be dead and it'll be his estate coughing up the money and doesn't give a poo poo.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Bankruptcy can erase all previous debts . It’s powerful and I’ve lost a lot of money due to people getting bankruptcy protection

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

euphronius posted:

Bankruptcy can erase all* previous debts . It’s powerful and I’ve lost a lot of money due to people getting bankruptcy protection

*most

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
The existing modifier of "can" already covers that range of uncertainty

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Harold Fjord posted:

The existing modifier of "can" already covers that range of uncertainty

So either "definitely able to" or "may be able to" depending on which definition you use

Lawyers: known for loving ambiguity in their writings

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Punitive damages generally can't be discharged in bankruptcy if that's relevant to your case

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

bird with big dick posted:

Say you got a guy with 3,000,000 in assets and 2,500,000 in liabilities staring down a likely 1,000,000 judgment.

I assume the guy would declare bankruptcy at some point but would he maybe do it before the trial just to delay things? What would the advantages be of declaring bankruptcy beyond the normal "preserve your primary home" stuff?

It seems to me like it would absolutely be better for the guy to sell some assets and come up with at least 200 grand to try and avoid a much worse outcome but maybe its so hard to extract money out of judgments the guy figures he'll be dead and it'll be his estate coughing up the money and doesn't give a poo poo.

a lot would depend on other details. for example: what liabilities (secured or unsecured - the most likely thing would be they're secured because it's a mortgage) and what is the lawsuit about.

at the end of the day the reason to declare bankruptcy would be that some amount of your assets will get preserved in the bankruptcy and everyone will be getting even less than their 85 cents on the dollar they'd have gotten if they could get at all of your assets.

also, importantly, some of your future income may be preserved

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

bird with big dick posted:

Your folly is in assuming all people are equally rational actors. Some people are so mad they've decided to fight everything, all the time, forever. Some people are so scared, they immediately roll over. 90% of people are somewhere on that spectrum, where their decision will be mostly rational, tuned a few degrees to one side of the spectrum or the other.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

People don’t like unknowns and will often settled for less just to have a known .

Imho

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
You're also probably not as familiar with the level of self-delusion that people are capable of, or the level of uncertainty that comes with any case, given that the fates of both parties can rest on what the Judge had for lunch, or how well a few jurors slept the night before deliberations.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Drama in the Rittenhouse trial right now, looks like the ADA might get himself disbarred!

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Alchenar posted:

Drama in the Rittenhouse trial right now, looks like the ADA might get himself disbarred!

I'm dumb and literally every Google result shows 'ADA' as the Act, not a person.

Who is the ADA, and what's the details on this one?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

I'm dumb and literally every Google result shows 'ADA' as the Act, not a person.

Who is the ADA, and what's the details on this one?

Assistant District Attorney (the guy running the prosecution case).

He hosed up massively and gave the defence a copy of the drone footage that was something like 1/3 the resolution as the one the crime lab got. And then it looks like he's lied about how that happened.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
:stonklol: I'm not even a lawyer and I know that's a legal faux pas to end all faux pas. How in hell does one make that mistake if it even was a mistake?

It couldn't be a mistake, could it? They knew they had a snowball's chance of convicting Rittenhouse so he tried to pull a fast one on the defense?

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Alchenar posted:

Assistant District Attorney (the guy running the prosecution case).

He hosed up massively and gave the defence a copy of the drone footage that was something like 1/3 the resolution as the one the crime lab got. And then it looks like he's lied about how that happened.

ohhhhh nooooo

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

D34THROW posted:

:stonklol: I'm not even a lawyer and I know that's a legal faux pas to end all faux pas. How in hell does one make that mistake if it even was a mistake?

It couldn't be a mistake, could it? They knew they had a snowball's chance of convicting Rittenhouse so he tried to pull a fast one on the defense?

Had to look this up.... according to CNN:

https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/kyle-rittenhouse-trial-verdict-watch-11-17-21/index.html posted:

In a motion to dismiss the case filed earlier this week, the defense claimed that, "On November 5, 2021, the fifth day of trial on this case, the prosecution turned over to the defense footage of drone video which captured some of the incident from August 25, 2020. The problem is, the prosecution gave the defense a compressed version of the video."

"What that means is the video provided to the defense was not as clear as the video kept by the state," the motion continued.

The defense claimed that the version they were given "was only 3.6 megabytes, while the state had a higher resolution version that was 11.2 megabytes."

Prosecutor James Kraus said that when they turned over the video to the defense, they were unable to provide the video via airdrop so the file was emailed as an attachment to the defense. ADA Kraus said the video was inadvertently compressed when it was sent to the defense, possibly due to a software issue going from an Apple phone to an Android phone. He said "we did not know that this would occur."

The prosecutor said that "we cannot be held responsible" for "something that happened in the transfer that we had no knowledge of."

"We didn't compress anything, we didn't change anything," Kraus said.

Defense attorney Natalie Wisco however, said the video she was sent had a different file name than the original one and suggested the prosecution was not telling the truth.

Kraus said the suggestion that the prosecution would "sabotage" the video was "preposterous."

Judge Schroeder said that he would like to "get somebody to explain this." He said he planned to call in expert testimony and take testimony under oath from attorneys to get to the bottom of the episode.

So not as unreasonable as it may seem. But if the prosecution is lying directly to the judge when called out lmao

edit: so to be sure, Apple uses stupid-rear end proprietary codecs that nobody else uses for their photos and videos. I've had tons of trouble at work getting other people's videos to play on my computer or phone.

edit again: and also, file size doesn't necessarily mean anything here. I'm no expert of course, but compression doesn't necessarily result in loss of information.

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Nov 17, 2021

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

blarzgh posted:

I'll assume for the sake of discussion you were being genuine, and the answer is, "it's up to the client."

Thanks. I was being genuine, and that's a much better answer than I was expecting.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

DaveSauce posted:

So not as unreasonable as it may seem. But if the prosecution is lying directly to the judge when called out lmao

edit: so to be sure, Apple uses stupid-rear end proprietary codecs that nobody else uses for their photos and videos. I've had tons of trouble at work getting other people's videos to play on my computer or phone.

edit again: and also, file size doesn't necessarily mean anything here. I'm no expert of course, but compression doesn't necessarily result in loss of information.

Uh why was the video not turned over until the fifth day of trial

Any and all video in a self defense case is potential Brady material

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I think its because he's an idiot, but this is why you have experts do your evidence handling rather than try and do it yourself on your personal Gmail account.

E: like, the file size might not change the compression if done professionally (it wasn't) but that doesn't excuse not realising you've passed on a different file size with a different name.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Nov 17, 2021

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

DaveSauce posted:

it's incredible to me that lawyers exchange evidence via iphone message or what the poo poo, how is this remotely ok

why would it not be done via some kind of secured file repository, or even better, some verifiable method where the recipient has to sign for what they received so they can't claim in the future that they never got it

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Leperflesh posted:

why would it not be done via some kind of secured file repository, or even better, some verifiable method where the recipient has to sign for what they received so they can't claim in the future that they never got it

Like, I don't know, a flash drive or SD card where both parties are present for the handover and verify the fact that the file is what it purports to be? Do they not make physical file transfer media anymore or...?

EDIT: Like we're talking about an entire digital forensics section of law that pretty much (at least in FL) disallows you from ever operating on an original version of, say, a drive. You copy it bit-by-bit and store the original in a loving vault, and operate on one of three copies and give the other to the defense. :psyboom:

D34THROW fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Nov 17, 2021

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Leperflesh posted:

it's incredible to me that lawyers exchange evidence via iphone message or what the poo poo, how is this remotely ok

i lol'd when they decided to e-mail it, but only after trying to airdrop it

I don't know how either method is acceptable when it's evidence in a murder case

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Uh why was the video not turned over until the fifth day of trial

Any and all video in a self defense case is potential Brady material

I was hoping you lawyer types could answer that!

Seriously shouldn't that have been something that both parties had well ahead of the trial? I'm confused, but I don't know how entering evidence works. I would have assumed that some central entity holds the evidence and both parties retrieve it from there to look at, specifically to prevent one side from tampering with it and giving the other side a bogus/altered copy.

Xenochrist
Sep 11, 2006

DaveSauce posted:

i lol'd when they decided to e-mail it, but only after trying to airdrop it

I don't know how either method is acceptable when it's evidence in a murder case

I was hoping you lawyer types could answer that!

Seriously shouldn't that have been something that both parties had well ahead of the trial? I'm confused, but I don't know how entering evidence works. I would have assumed that some central entity holds the evidence and both parties retrieve it from there to look at, specifically to prevent one side from tampering with it and giving the other side a bogus/altered copy.

Nope, typically law enforcement gathers the evidence, and they give it to the DA, and then it is up to the DA to turn over all discovery they intend to use at trial and any Brady or exculpatory material. This is the problem with Brady - lots of prosecutors have different definitions of "exculpatory" evidence, and as a defense attorney it can be extremely difficult to know or verify if you have all the exculpatory evidence. As an example, in the jurisdiction I used to practice in, the DA's wouldn't turn over 911 calls as a matter of course, defense attorneys had to specifically request it from the police directly. it was infuriating. The flip side of that though is in many misdemeanor cases with baby DA's, I had the 911 calls b/c I had got them from the police, and the DA hadn't requested or listened to them before trial. Which would often lead to some hilarious cross examination and impeachment.

I am also confused about the timing of this as well, and I haven't been paying attention to their arguments this week, so I don't know why the video was turned over so late (if that is indeed what even happened)

Xenochrist fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Nov 17, 2021

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Apparently it only showed up on day 5 and only after the evidence closed did they have an argument over putting it to the jury and the prosecution said 'oh no use the high res version' and the defence realised what happened.

This is not lossless encryption:

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

All you people assuming that a criminal defense firm and a prosecutor's office have resources like "file sharing systems." Or verifying what is being sent.

I have to get a paralegal to upload any documents i want to send to opposing counsel to the low-bidder vendor. We're only allowed one account for our 70 attorney office. If she's not working i literally can't share documents unless i can email them (25mb limit!). Yes I'm a government lawyer.

Big lawyers have money and resources. They starve the government offices and give us ridiculously useless tools.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Alchenar posted:

Apparently it only showed up on day 5 and only after the evidence closed did they have an argument over putting it to the jury and the prosecution said 'oh no use the high res version' and the defence realised what happened.

This is not lossless encryption:

Tag yourself I am (no logarithms)