Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

fullroundaction posted:

I fully believe that Andrew WK is a franchised character and multiple people have played him since the beginning. That’s my weird one

Would you say the various Andrews WK form a clique of some kind? A cadre? A... party???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh so just because I believe a secret cabal of pedophile cannibal lizard people secretly control the world I'm a conspiracy theorist

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Here's a fun experiment you can do at home.

First, add up the numbers from the initials JFK. So J + F + K. Next, stick your thumb in your butthole.

Fun times for everyone.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/BrandyLJensen/status/1460698296629051396

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1460742590089859075

https://twitter.com/simardcasanova/status/1460735492551491592

https://twitter.com/ddoniolvalcroze/status/1460674904441769985

https://twitter.com/coolranchzaku/status/1460467347882487813

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

kazil posted:

First, add up the numbers from the initials JFK. So J + F + K. Next, stick your thumb in your butthole.
No way the gerbil will bite it

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Platystemon posted:

When Bill Weaver’s SR-71 broke up in flight, he landed under his parachute and was shocked to find a man and an idling helicopter waiting for him.

He’d landed a mile and a half from a rancher’s house and hanger, and the rancher wasted no time in coming to the rescue.

I love that when I went to this page it auto-downloaded a midi file

e: a midi file of wind beneath my wings I think

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Platystemon posted:

When Bill Weaver’s SR-71 broke up in flight, he landed under his parachute and was shocked to find a man and an idling helicopter waiting for him.

He’d landed a mile and a half from a rancher’s house and hanger, and the rancher wasted no time in coming to the rescue.

There is a cracker of a joke latched onto the end of that report. SR71 pilots have some brilliant stories - I think it's the combination of suicidally powerful technology and so-relaxed-they're-horizontal attitude needed for someone to get in the things.

quote:

Two weeks after the accident, I was back in an SR-71, flying the first sortie on a brand-new bird at Lockheed's Palmdale, Calif., assembly and test facility. It was my first flight since the accident, so a flight test engineer in the back seat was probably a little apprehensive about my state of mind and confidence. As we roared down the runway and lifted off, I heard an anxious voice over the intercom. "Bill! Bill! Are you there?"

"Yeah, George. What's the matter?"

"Thank God! I thought you might have left." The rear cockpit of the SR-71 has no forward visibility--only a small window on each side--and George couldn't see me. A big red light on the master-warning panel in the rear cockpit had illuminated just as we rotated, stating, "Pilot Ejected." Fortunately, the cause was a misadjusted microswitch, not my departure.

Also when Weaver casually refers to "the accident" he means the plane disintegrating around him at Mach 3 and 78,000ft. He survived because his ejection seat was thrown out of the wreckage, rather than manually ejected, and his pressurised space suit meant he didn't instantly break every bone under the sudden deceleration. Then he got back in the cockpit to do it all again two weeks later...

darkwasthenight has a new favorite as of 17:52 on Nov 17, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I love that when I went to this page it auto-downloaded a midi file

e: a midi file of wind beneath my wings I think

lol nice

I actually thought to myself “this website seems old as hell. It looks all right on mobile, but do I really want to link it?”

Clearly I made the right call.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

zoux posted:

I believe in only two conspiracy theories, both basketball related:

1. That the NBA rigged the 1985 draft lottery to give the New York Knicks the number one pick. They accomplished this by freezing the envelope containing the knicks name so the drawer could find it by touch when he reached into the drum.
2. Michael Jordan's retirement at the literal peak of his powers wasn't to fulfil some childhood dream of playing baseball but was a secret multiyear suspension for gambling improprieties, up to and including point shaving, that would've destroyed the sport if the allegations were made known.

The 2nd one is plausible but I’m not sure David Stern (it was Stern back then right?) would have even gone the suspension route and likely would have just swept it under the rug.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

fullroundaction posted:

I fully believe that Andrew WK is a franchised character and multiple people have played him since the beginning. That’s my weird one

Haha like a Dread Pirate Roberts situation.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
The big sport conspiracy theory I believe is that Benetton were actually using traction control in the 1994 F1 season.

Also, the theory that Neymar is loving his sister.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sports conspiracies are good to believe in, because they seldom lead to nazi stuff.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I believe that figure skating judging is far more corrupt than what has already been proven in court.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

zoux posted:

Sports conspiracies are good to believe in, because they seldom lead to nazi stuff.

Speaking of, there's a great documentary series on Netflix called Bad Sport, about these sports related crimes and conspiracy. Points shaving, fixing matches, bribing officials, etc. Very good, and it's fun to get that true crime intrigue and conspiracy stuff without people being murdered. Notable exception, one episode is about a horse hitman hired by the owners of expensive show-jumping horses to collect insurance money.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Going around, making horses think of ants

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

zoux posted:

My conspiracy theory is that aaron Rogers will face no league discipline for being and antivax dipshit despite there being explicit rules stating otherwise. Oh wait.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Frank Frank posted:

My conspiracy theory is that aaron Rogers will face no league discipline for being and antivax dipshit despite there being explicit rules stating otherwise. Oh wait.

Rodgers didn’t face any consequences because the league isn’t enforcing the rules and don’t really want to.

As he wasn’t the only one, just the most high profile

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Anton Chigurh, sidling up to a horse box with an ant farm in his right hand

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/zhugeex/status/1461017870683488262?s=21

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

CharlestheHammer posted:

Rodgers didn’t face any consequences because the league isn’t enforcing the rules and don’t really want to.

As he wasn’t the only one, just the most high profile

I mean, we’re not disagreeing here.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
"tongues clipping through chins" riiiight.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I have a theory we will see a large sports betting scandal within the next decade of a new type. It's very easy now to do in-game prop bets and this opens up a ton of avenues for player fixing that is not easily detectable.

Imagine I have a friend in the NBA. I can very easily go to Vegas (or other options with internet betting) and put down $50k for my friend to miss a free throw. All I have to do is tell him to miss his first free throw, whenever that is, in the game. Whenever he gets fouled I quickly place a bet that the first one will miss.

A single player or ref throwing an entire game is a lot harder to make happen. Also harder to convince them to outright throw a game. Convincing them to miss a single point is much much easier. The same concept applies to other sports. There is no way this isn't happening right now. It's too easy. Especially in college sports where the players aren't making money.

D-Pad has a new favorite as of 19:46 on Nov 17, 2021

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The NBA already had that scandal with a ref. And according to him is was quite common

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

canyoneer posted:

Speaking of, there's a great documentary series on Netflix called Bad Sport, about these sports related crimes and conspiracy. Points shaving, fixing matches, bribing officials, etc. Very good, and it's fun to get that true crime intrigue and conspiracy stuff without people being murdered. Notable exception, one episode is about a horse hitman hired by the owners of expensive show-jumping horses to collect insurance money.

There's a podcast called Crime in Sports which is pretty funny and basically what it says on the tin. Two dudes go over athletes getting involved in crimes of all sorts.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
It's already a thing outside of America; cricket has betting scandals every few years like that, for example.

The funniest example is when Matt Le Tissier once bet on a football match having a throw-in within the first two or three minutes and his teammates kept stopping the ball from going out of play.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/SAMOYEDWAVE/status/1460977776710889475

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
All Hitler needed to do to win was not lose, astounding analysis

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
if I were Hitler I'd simply press the 'end siege' button and take the city.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Its always a god damned loving anime avatar

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

*looks through telescope, sees a million soviets arrayed against our forces*
*turns to glorious leader*
"Just win, forehead."

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

D-Pad posted:

I have a theory we will see a large sports betting scandal within the next decade of a new type. It's very easy now to do in-game prop bets and this opens up a ton of avenues for player fixing that is not easily detectable.

Imagine I have a friend in the NBA. I can very easily go to Vegas (or other options with internet betting) and put down $50k for my friend to miss a free throw. All I have to do is tell him to miss his first free throw, whenever that is, in the game. Whenever he gets fouled I quickly place a bet that the first one will miss.

A single player or ref throwing an entire game is a lot harder to make happen. Also harder to convince them to outright throw a game. Convincing them to miss a single point is much much easier. The same concept applies to other sports. There is no way this isn't happening right now. It's too easy. Especially in college sports where the players aren't making money.

I would much rather tell my friend to successfully sink his free throw and bet on that happening, instead. He's in the NBA, he can make a free throw. He feels good about himself for making the free throw, I feel good for having faith in my friend's abilities, we both make money.

I understand the point you're making, but if we're going to fix a bet, let's make it a positive thing.

e:

codo27 posted:

Its always a god damned loving anime avatar
I have a sneaking suspicion that av is from Axis Powers Hetalia, meaning they have an even worse grasp of WWII politics and warfare than normal.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I would've simply ordered Freidrich Paulus to take Stalingrad promptly instead of letting it become a whole big deal

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The most difficult thing on that list is telling an Italian military leader to be not stupid

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

CharlestheHammer posted:

The NBA already had that scandal with a ref. And according to him is was quite common

I think there was a good episode of Swindled about this iirc

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

canyoneer posted:

Anything in there on sumo? There was a really bad match-fixing scandal that went on forever, and it kinda wrecked the sport's fandom because anyone who thinks they know something just wildly speculates on which matches were fixed.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

jfk was anti-establishment enough that the establishment exploded his gourd on film, so in a sense the artist probably didn't intend i guess?

edit: that is to say, yes the artist is a brainless slug who thinks any head of state of the USA can somehow be anti-establishment while being the literal figurehead of the establishment, but JFK does at least have the distinction of being assassinated by one of his own agencies

If the CIA was behind his assassination then why is he dead?

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Winning historical military failures is really really easy if you just reload your last save before you hosed up.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Dareon posted:

I would much rather tell my friend to successfully sink his free throw and bet on that happening, instead. He's in the NBA, he can make a free throw. He feels good about himself for making the free throw, I feel good for having faith in my friend's abilities, we both make money.

I understand the point you're making, but if we're going to fix a bet, let's make it a positive thing.

I.. don't think you understand how this works?

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

D-Pad posted:

I.. don't think you understand how this works?

I don't play basketball or gamble, so that's a fair conclusion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
My conspiracy theory is that bears are just dogs we aren't allowed to pet.