Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

my neighbor is moving to Fort Lauderdale lmfao

yeah I get it's cold here (MN), but what the gently caress is his plan haha

gen X is pretty much as brainwormed as the boomers tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Are there any plants that are lawn-like, but with deeper roots? Wooly thyme is my go-to, but its root depth isn't really much different from lawn grasses. It doesn't need to be mowed, and it's more drought tolerant than grass. It's not as sturdy as grass in terms of foot traffic, but it works fine for light use.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Rectal Death Adept posted:

One of the better water purifying solutions is "Polar Pure." It's just a jar of iodine crystals you mix with water but is extremely cheap per-gallon and one jar does like 2,000 liters. Backpackers usually carry it but it's going to be vastly superior to any kind of bulk tablet solution since you'd need like 30lbs of tablets to equal what one small bottle can do.

Not sure why but it goes on/off sale on Amazon all the time. I think because you could make meth out of the raw crystalline iodine in the jars or something.

If you manage to find some somewhere I'd suggest storing it in a sealed, dry container. I live in a humid environment and had a jar manage to stain the trunk of my car.

Also a bonus, in our nuclear water war future the iodine mixture you are using to purify your water will be better for your diet of radioactive scorpions and human bones.
Polar Pure is great, I've been using it while backpacking for more than decade; i was one of the weirdos that stocked up on it back when the feds made it impossible for them to buy iodine because the feds thought they were making meth

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Bob Socko posted:

Are there any plants that are lawn-like, but with deeper roots? Wooly thyme is my go-to, but its root depth isn't really much different from lawn grasses. It doesn't need to be mowed, and it's more drought tolerant than grass. It's not as sturdy as grass in terms of foot traffic, but it works fine for light use.

how long are fescue roots?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

actionjackson posted:

my neighbor is moving to Fort Lauderdale lmfao

yeah I get it's cold here (MN), but what the gently caress is his plan haha

gen X is pretty much as brainwormed as the boomers tho

the plan for these people is universally some variation of waaaah I can't stand being outside in the cold for ten minutes, let me move somewhere that I'll need to run my AC 24/7/365 until the day my house is finally underwater

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

Paradoxish posted:

the plan for these people is universally some variation of waaaah I can't stand being outside in the cold for ten minutes, let me move somewhere that I'll need to run my AC 24/7/365 until the day my house is finally underwater

send them to winnipeg

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Paradoxish posted:

let me move somewhere that I'll need to run my AC 24/7/365 until the day my house is finally underwater

These people are going to have so many options

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

bag em and tag em posted:

gently caress you for exposing me to the term Father Profit. On the other hand thank you for making me a little bit more okay with the total destruction of a species responsible for the term Father Profit.

The more I learn about my species the happier I become for its future.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Rime posted:

Pumps survived, now 100-500 RV's are on fire.

https://twitter.com/AndreaWoo/status/1461017982188986371

someone’s RV business wasn’t working out financially

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Rectal Death Adept posted:

Not sure why but it goes on/off sale on Amazon all the time. I think because you could make meth out of the raw crystalline iodine in the jars or something.

lmao. Way more important than people being prepared for an uncertain future

DesertIslandHermit posted:

Last year, he made a video about how global warming should stop COVID (when dumbasses thought summer temperatures would kill it off) and was praying to Mother Nature or some poo poo for global warming.

drat that's somehow dumber than I predicted

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

Tabletops posted:

someone’s RV business wasn’t working out financially

I did wonder how does an RV dealership go on fire during a flood.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Marenghi posted:

I did wonder how does an RV dealership go on fire during a flood.

Loose power lines

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Insurance fraud

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I was expecting father profit to be some capatilist bedroom kink not uhhh idk empty Thomas Friedman bullshit

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Paradoxish posted:

how often has a hurricane hit Miami or one of it's suburbs? it seems like the ones on the atlantic side tend to be a bit further south, Andrew being the most noticeable.

Jabronie
Jun 4, 2011

In an investigation, details matter.

Bob Socko posted:

Depends on the climate but cover crops are great for root depth.

I use this for midwest cold.
https://www.groworganic.com/products/cold-zone-soil-builder-mix-raw-lb?_pos=3&_sid=870440494&_ss=r

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

kater posted:

I was expecting father profit to be some capatilist bedroom kink not uhhh idk empty Thomas Friedman bullshit

Your thinking of Daddy Dividends

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

bag em and tag em posted:

Your thinking of Daddy Dividends

I thought that's when your dad takes a share of your candy on Halloween

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Mr. Lobe posted:

I thought that's when your dad takes a share of your candy on Halloween

See also: french fries at McDonalds

That Spooky Witch
Jun 16, 2017

All hail the triune god
father profit is what they call the gimp they hire to mc their child sacrifice rituals

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Father profit is what ferengi children call the grand nagus

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

Pryor on Fire posted:

jesus christ people you don't want to drink iodine, it's godawful for you. if you absolutely have to then get the strongest sugar mixer you can like kool aid because that's the only way you will be able to stomach it for more than one day

you could also just buy a filter and avoid this sugar nightmare

Yeah. I looked at a bunch of options and ended up with an MSR Guardian because I wanted a water purifying solution for hiking anyway, and it'll do double duty in emergencies. It's pricey and bulky compared to other options, but I figure being fast, simple, effective against a broader set of contaminants than other methods, low maintenance, and able to do 10000L between filter changes are great characteristics whether I'm out in the woods or fleeing climate apocalypse. Just gotta make sure the cartridge doesn't dry completely between uses and you're golden.

Natch for sprucing up an old XGK instead of getting a lighter/more convenient type of stove. I could save some ounces or not have to deal with liquid fuel, but having the option to burn gas and diesel and other random stuff seems like it could have some advantages in a few of the potential futures ahead.

super nailgun has issued a correction as of 00:45 on Nov 18, 2021

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
In a pinch solar stills are really easy to make! You can use a soda bottle (top cut off), a smaller cup or bottle (top cut off) inside it, and saran wrap over it, place a small rock on the saran wrap to create a funnel and collect your nice distilled water.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Perry Mason Jar posted:

In a pinch solar stills are really easy to make! You can use a soda bottle (top cut off), a smaller cup or bottle (top cut off) inside it, and saran wrap over it, place a small rock on the saran wrap to create a funnel and collect your nice distilled water.

this might be a very valuable technique in many places

its utility in the PNW in winter however...

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

atelier morgan posted:

this might be a very valuable technique in many places

its utility in the PNW in winter however...

if you've got snow and direct sunlight put a garbage bag down and insulate it from the snow/ground as much as you can (pile stuff under it like a tarp, etc.) and then dump a ton of snow on the bag. in a few hours of direct sunlight it will all melt into water. it works great up in the mountains instead of melting snow with a stove (which takes a lot of fuel)

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

it's the PNW during an atmospheric river, just put out a bucket and wait an hour for it to fill up

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/kamloopsarchaeo/status/1461130021985157122?s=21

lol.

lmao.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Pryor on Fire posted:

jesus christ people you don't want to drink iodine, it's godawful for you. if you absolutely have to then get the strongest sugar mixer you can like kool aid because that's the only way you will be able to stomach it for more than one day

you could also just buy a filter and avoid this sugar nightmare

An Iodine mixture for water purification is not drinking iodine. It's an extremely weak ratio that just tastes funny.

Rectal Death Adept has issued a correction as of 02:00 on Nov 18, 2021

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Paradoxish posted:

Yeah, and it's a perfect analogy for the situation, too.

The vaccines weren't really a "miracle" like we wanted them to be. They didn't remove the need for NPIs, they just gave us a legitimate shot of solving the problem if we were also willing to do the hard stuff. We weren't, so we're hosed. There are costly "solutions" to climate change that can help us mitigate its effects and reduce future harm, but we have to actually cut consumption and growth alongside them. We won't, so we're hosed.

Yeah. Covid was basically the tutorial for handling a global crisis/pandemic and we completely fumbled it. Doesn’t give me any hope for climate change.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

This loving province lmaoooo

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

mod sassinator posted:

if you've got snow and direct sunlight put a garbage bag down and insulate it from the snow/ground as much as you can (pile stuff under it like a tarp, etc.) and then dump a ton of snow on the bag. in a few hours of direct sunlight it will all melt into water. it works great up in the mountains instead of melting snow with a stove (which takes a lot of fuel)

Survival first and all but personally I don't want to drink the uv degraded plastic water if I can help it

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

gently caress canada

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Milo and POTUS posted:

gently caress canada

Death to America encompasses Canada as well

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
as a canadian i think i hate our demon kkkracker nation more than yours

yours has a modicum of self-awareness at least

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
viva méxico

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Have fun shooting the flash floodwaters.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

pfffft pnw megaquake baby tier "will it wont it" event, dethroned by east laptev pre-formed methane pocket punching out the ozone layer

Goons don't go out during the day anyway. :shrug:

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Goons don't go out during the day anyway. :shrug:

plants do

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

Rime posted:

No. This is the real poo poo: This has not been publicly announced, the government is keeping it quiet to avoid a panic. I, being a big-brained individual with connections in places, am in on some poo poo:

https://twitter.com/KamilKaramali/status/1460731733427449858

Bobbing there in the Coquihalla River, where its protective road has been ripped off, is 200m of the Trans Mountain Pipeline. The 60+ year old, 300,000bpd oil & fuel link between the pacific coast and Alberta. This pipe carries 90% of the refined fuels supplied to British Columbia. It provides 10-15% of the unrefined supply for the refineries in Washington State. This is not the only location where it has been compromised. The road to either side of this location has been totally destroyed in both directions in multiple places.

I really did not have Vancouver, British Columbia down as the first place in North America to collapse due to a climate-change induced disaster, but here we are. It's happening.

We are about to watch some serious poo poo go down over the next few weeks.

Wouldn't be shocked if there were pipeline breaches somewhere, but I don't think this is one for the original Trans Mountain line. The pipeline's the red line iI sketched into the picture. It's not between the two legs of the highway or even beside the highway. It's on the other side of the river past a road and some other stuff. You'd have to have lost an entire hillside on that side for it to end up in a river, and it'd be inside of a slide. You can see that side of the river in one of the videos and it' doesn't look like there's a problem over there.

There are other pipes in that area, and I also have no idea where the new unoperational pipeline is in that area, but I'm pretty confident that isn't the original trans mountain pipeline sitting in the river.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

We'll just put all the plants under big sunshades and use large UV sunlamps to give the plants the *right* kind of sunlight! :downs: