Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is Rarity a gamer?
This poll is closed.
Yes 17 17.35%
Obviously 43 43.88%
Noisette 23 23.47%
please visit my new and wildly popular subreddit r/SNUle34 15 15.31%
Total: 98 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Khanstant posted:

Really I think the only reason I downloaded it was because I have some bizarre nostalgia for complaining about Halo

The important thing is it hit that nostalgic note for everyone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Khanstant posted:

just wait till jeffrey adds the PostPass and people are just making dumb posts about ranking lists for post-XP instead of for the love of whitenoise.

Lol if you don't do that already

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Welp, my wife got attacked by a dog today. She was dropping ours off at daycare and I guess a guy came in with a dog and just let it walk right up to her while it was on a leash and bite her.

There's a couple pretty deep marks; even went straight through her jeans. I don't think any of them will need stitches, but she's at the hospital so I guess we'll see.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
we already went through a gamified posting phase with the bingo thing

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Saint Freak posted:

Welp, my wife got attacked by a dog today. She was dropping ours off at daycare and I guess a guy came in with a dog and just let it walk right up to her while it was on a leash and bite her.

There's a couple pretty deep marks; even went straight through her jeans. I don't think any of them will need stitches, but she's at the hospital so I guess we'll see.

As a new dog owner there are an infinity of extremely lovely dog owners

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
assuming you have a choice, is a white person choosing a black avatar an example of blackface (if a minor one)? Serious question

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Last Celebration posted:

It’s kinda crazy that Bloodborne only really needs this as an option to be the perfect game. They were so close…

blood vials would still suck rear end

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

never understood the blood vial complaints. what was the issue exactly.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

As a new dog owner there are an infinity of extremely lovely dog owners

a couple of friends go to the dog park like every day and so are very privy to all the local dog gossip and uh, yup!!

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Stux posted:

per-bonfire healing is the perfect system and they hosed it up

and if you ever run out you gotta go grind which is just tremendously lovely

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Play posted:

assuming you have a choice, is a white person choosing a black avatar an example of blackface (if a minor one)? Serious question

no?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Blood vials are better than estus flasks especially at the beginning because they incentivize the player to keep going even when they run out of healing, rather than having to cut your run short because you dared to try exploring and took a couple extra hits on the way back.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Play posted:

only if you claim it's your fursona

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Play posted:

what if you don't have a choice...

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Play posted:

This thinking is how you get less black protagonists

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

exquisite tea posted:

Blood vials are better than estus flasks especially at the beginning because they incentivize the player to keep going even when they run out of healing, rather than having to cut your run short because you dared to try exploring and took a couple extra hits on the way back.

how do they do this. Unless you mean like, the first hour of the game before you even have any in your storage, then sure I guess

but in practice, it's just estus but there's too many of them and also you are capable of running out and being forced to grind (because blood vial drops on the ground start becoming way way scarcer in the late game, and also the price of them in the shop increases with your progress)

it's better than dark souls 2's "it is literally impossible to be attritioned to death" system but it's incredible that they made an almost-perfect system in dark souls 1 and then keep making worse systems, game after game

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Stux posted:

Everyone got talked into thinking Arcane was a total dump stat and their drop rates sucked.

That’s my take on it anyway.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Saint Freak posted:

I had the same thing happen a few years ago. The owner apologized but I was so startled I didn't think to get their number in case it got serious (it didn't). I have an involuntary fear of dogs from when I was first bitten by one (despite growing up with other dogs), and ever since I've had a few similar close calls.

Hope your wife is okay. I'm guessing they'll give her a tetanus shot.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Stux posted:

It'd be perfect if you had a baseline you always spawned with, like if you had fewer than 5 blood vials (counting the ones in storage) you'd always spawn with 5 or something. This issue disappears entirely after a few hours when you can start affording to buy blood vials in bulk but it's unfortunate that it's at its worst in the early game. IMO it's a real issue but a pretty minor one in a game that is otherwise incredible.

Elden Ring looks like it has a nice fusion of the blood vial system with estus, where you refill your healing at the bonfire equivalent like in Dark Souls but enemies also drop healing refills like blood vials dropping from enemies in Bloodborne.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Ideally Bloodborne would have allowed you to pick up extra blood vials while you were out exploring to keep a run going but also just top you off to the max carry amount for free at bonfires as well

Making them a persistent stock item never really did anything for me

EDIT: looks like Elden Ring is doing literally this

Monkey Fracas fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Nov 17, 2021

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I probably would have finished bloodborne if somebody had warned me at the beginning that there was a risk of running out of healing and being forced to grind unless you buy blood vials early while they're still cheap

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Play posted:

God I hope not

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Running out of heals entirely until you go grind is not something that should be allowed to happen

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
I only use avatars that look exactly like me

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

I probably would have finished bloodborne if somebody had warned me at the beginning that there was a risk of running out of healing and being forced to grind unless you buy blood vials early while they're still cheap

On the bright side, by the time blood vials are expensive, you also have access to a place where you can very easily get so many blood echoes that you can buy hundreds of blood vials in a few minutes. It requires grinding but it's a very fast grind and once you do that you'll probably never have to think about blood vials again.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

Rinkles posted:

I had the same thing happen a few years ago. The owner apologized but I was so startled I didn't think to get their number in case it got serious (it didn't). I have an involuntary fear of dogs from when I was first bitten by one (despite growing up with other dogs), and ever since I've had a few similar close calls.

Hope your wife is okay. I'm guessing they'll give her a tetanus shot.

Yeah the guy took off, but it happened in the daycare in front of the workers and all the dogs are registered, so we have his name and their records that the dog is up-to-date on all its shots at least.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Blood vials are terrible because they make the game tedious for the exact people who need them the most because those people are the same people who will run out of them

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

You run out of estus flasks: You die I guess, or have to run back to the last bonfire.

You run out of blood vials: You can run back to the last bonfire, AND you can also fight on and pick up more.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

You run out of estus flasks: You die I guess, or have to run back to the last bonfire.

You run out of blood vials: You can run back to the last bonfire, AND you can also fight on and pick up more.

more realistically: a person will run out of them while fighting Orphan of Kos or something and has to go grind more instead of trying to do a fun boss fight (or just never play again)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Yeah let me just go on through that fog gate on zero vials

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

exquisite tea posted:

Until you really run out of blood vials and die, and then you have to choose between trying again with a major handicap, or going back to some part of the map you would otherwise have no interest in for a while

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I mean, by the time you're fighting Orphan of Kos in the first place you can spend a few minutes doing a couple runs of the slime scholar room and buy a ton of blood vials at once. But I recognize that for some people even a 5-minute detour is "y'know what, gently caress this game"-level bad and I perhaps have a broken brain.

I don't disagree that blood vials are a worse system than estus, to be clear, I just think the issue is much more pronounced at the start of the game than at the tail end of some endgame DLC. By that point it doesn't take very long at all to just build up a stockpile of a couple hundred vials all at once and not think about it for a while.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

True story: I didn't even realize you could upgrade Blood Vials above 10 until I was like 80% of the way through the game. Guess I'm just that gud. :smugdog:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I don't think I was aware of any fast grinding when it happened to me. The fastest spots I had found were much slower than that. I don't remember the name of the boss but it was a tentacly alien thing in an arena with ankle deep water where I ran out

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

From put that one little weenie who drops eight vials when he dies in front of each boss door in the dlc for a reason

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

cheetah7071 posted:

I don't think I was aware of any fast grinding when it happened to me. The fastest spots I had found were much slower than that. I don't remember the name of the boss but it was a tentacly alien thing in an arena with ankle deep water where I ran out

Look familiar?
https://twitter.com/meowmaritus/status/1216246819593867264

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

Oh yeah that was probably Rom (edit: or Ebrietas, which is much farther in the game than that). There's a good chance you missed the grinding spot since it's in an optional area, but you do have access to it by that point. It's in a place called the Lecture Building and there's a room with a ton of these slime guys that you can kill really quickly and get a ton of blood echoes. If you have the caryll runes that increase echoes gained that's even better.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I did end up beating the boss but was pretty frustrated with the game and just hadn't been feeling the changes to the combat in general and bounced off right after

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Looper posted:

what if you don't have a choice...

if I put a gun to your head would you say it? would you say the word?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

True story: I didn't even realize you could upgrade Blood Vials above 10 until I was like 80% of the way through the game. Guess I'm just that gud. :smugdog:

there's nothing to upgrade, you can carry 20 as soon as you find 20, and they always restore 40% of your health. this is not a true story

i guess there are runes that let you carry more than 20 but who uses those over any of the other runes