Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
Denis casting Awkwafina as Feyd was a stroke of genius

Photo taken during her first wardrobe test. Crew members reported that she would not stop cackling in akimbo stance

Jokerpilled Drudge fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Nov 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Wingnut Ninja posted:

In the book it's explained that if you shoot a shield with a lasgun, both the shield generator and the lasgun blow up with atomic-level vengeance, which would take out both sides. I think Duncan or Gurney at one point rigs some lasguns on timers/tripwires to fire on some shielded Sardaukar as a nasty little booby trap.

In the movie it's not really explained, we just don't see them used. IIRC the only lasguns we see are either vehicle mounted or the huge mining-laser thing that the Sardaukar use trying to cut open the door when they're chasing Paul, Jessica, Duncan and Kynes, so it could just be that they're unwieldy for infantry troops to carry routinely. Nobody mentions any dangers or concerns with lasgun/shield interaction though.

The Harks are using lasers from their thopters to slice up the desert but the Fremen stuck a shield under the sand in the area until the thopter shot it and exploded I think. I get that part and the scene when Thufir gets caught mixed up a lot in my memory.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Hbo max is somehow losing Dune ? Lmao .

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

Mister Speaker posted:

There are definitely lasguns in the opening scene of the movie, and it seems implied that at least some of them are hand-held.

I think Jamis is using a shoulder mounted (akin to a bazooka) version at the start of the movie when they blow up the carryall/harvester.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Prolonged Panorama posted:

"How do you call among you the little bird, the bird that drinks?"

Stilgar frowned. "We call that one deceiver-of-boys. It makes a mockery of the thermodynamics, and though it appears to drink, and conserve water inside itself, it instead evaporates the water in to the air for its fun. A hateful, wasteful machine." And he made a fist near his right ear. "We will speak no more of it."

i said this in my mind in Javier's accent, fukken cool. lmao

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

uber_stoat posted:

i said this in my mind in Javier's accent, fukken cool. lmao

I'm going to be doing this for every character in the book now

kalel fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Nov 17, 2021

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Apropos of nothing: a few years ago, my spouse wanted me to run a RPG session for them and some work friends. They wanted to do Dune. Some had never roleplayed before, some had never read or watched Dune before. So I would be doing some people's first RPG session ever, in a very complex setting that some of them were totally unfamiliar with. It was going to be a one-shot, which didn't justify making it a time-consuming homework project to participate.

So I kept the rules as simple as possible, and made like a ten-page handbook to explain character creation. I made another ten-page handbook to explain the setting. Condensing concepts like the Landsraad, the Great Houses, the Guild, the Bene Gesserit, etc. into half a page of text was really challenging!

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Halloween Jack posted:

Apropos of nothing: a few years ago, my spouse wanted me to run a RPG session for them and some work friends. They wanted to do Dune. Some had never roleplayed before, some had never read or watched Dune before. So I would be doing some people's first RPG session ever, in a very complex setting that some of them were totally unfamiliar with. It was going to be a one-shot, which didn't justify making it a time-consuming homework project to participate.

So I kept the rules as simple as possible, and made like a ten-page handbook to explain character creation. I made another ten-page handbook to explain the setting. Condensing concepts like the Landsraad, the Great Houses, the Guild, the Bene Gesserit, etc. into half a page of text was really challenging!

Do you still have the file? That sounds like a cool read.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Sure, I'll come up with a text version when I have time. I feel a little bad distributing the original version, because I just liberally stole whatever artwork I could find online that seemed the most evocative. Which was fine when it was only being seen by like 6 people, but I wouldn't want to pass around HALLOWEEN JACK'S DUNE RPG with stolen, not-even-credited artwork, even if I'm not making any money on it myself.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Some other observations on immediate rewatch that I jotted down into a reply before passing out last night:
- The Harkonnen vehicles shown in the intro are their harvesters; in contrast to the one the Atreides are shown using later, the Harkonnen harvesters look like enormous swollen ticks.
- Some dialogue from Jessica and Gaius Helen Mohiam strongly implies, if not outright says that Jessica was totally trying to have the Kwisatz Haderach as her son, and every time someone gets prophetic with her (GHM and Shadout Mapes, in particular) she reacts very intensely. I don't recall her being so keen on creating the messiah in the book, maybe aware of her role in the plan but not actively like "I'm gonna give birth to the Kwisatz Haderach."
- Leto's dressing-down of Thufir is awesome, such an excellent character-driving moment. "You want absolution? Go find some spies."
- The Harkonnen also seem weirdly aware of Paul? Piter says to the Baron in kind of a panic, "... if the Duke's son lives."
- Thufir's parasol umbrella.
- The shot that just hangs there on Stilgar's face while Leto and Gurney talk at him offscreen, right before he spits on the table, is hilarious.
- Does Paul have a vision during the harvester rescue scene, in the book? That was a really, really cool narrative device, showing his nascent prescience and the callback to 'I recognize your footsteps, old man' before Gurney saves him.
- Both the first and second times we hear the Voice are such awesome pieces of sound design. When Paul uses it to get the glass of water, obviously we have that huge pause and sub bass hit and then we hear it in at least three different voices, with different accents that are definitely not just Paul. When Gaius Helen Mohiam commands him to "come here, kneel" her Voice is so loud that it's clipped.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Mister Speaker posted:

Some other observations on immediate rewatch that I jotted down into a reply before passing out last night:
- The Harkonnen vehicles shown in the intro are their harvesters; in contrast to the one the Atreides are shown using later, the Harkonnen harvesters look like enormous swollen ticks.
- Some dialogue from Jessica and Gaius Helen Mohiam strongly implies, if not outright says that Jessica was totally trying to have the Kwisatz Haderach as her son, and every time someone gets prophetic with her (GHM and Shadout Mapes, in particular) she reacts very intensely. I don't recall her being so keen on creating the messiah in the book, maybe aware of her role in the plan but not actively like "I'm gonna give birth to the Kwisatz Haderach."
- Leto's dressing-down of Thufir is awesome, such an excellent character-driving moment. "You want absolution? Go find some spies."
- The Harkonnen also seem weirdly aware of Paul? Piter says to the Baron in kind of a panic, "... if the Duke's son lives."
- Thufir's parasol umbrella.
- The shot that just hangs there on Stilgar's face while Leto and Gurney talk at him offscreen, right before he spits on the table, is hilarious.
- Does Paul have a vision during the harvester rescue scene, in the book? That was a really, really cool narrative device, showing his nascent prescience and the callback to 'I recognize your footsteps, old man' before Gurney saves him.
- Both the first and second times we hear the Voice are such awesome pieces of sound design. When Paul uses it to get the glass of water, obviously we have that huge pause and sub bass hit and then we hear it in at least three different voices, with different accents that are definitely not just Paul. When Gaius Helen Mohiam commands him to "come here, kneel" her Voice is so loud that it's clipped.
I'm delighted you noticed the things about the different houses having different vehicle designs, because it's one of the touches that I really appreciated.
The harvester-vision is an amalgamation of a scene that, in the books, takes place during the first night in the still-tent, if memory serves.
Regarding the voice, did you notice that the first instance it's an implied third-person point-of-view, because in the second instance the point-of-view is Paul in first-person and we briefly see him black out when he's under the effect of the Voice - because that's the other touch that I deeply appreciated.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i saw an interview with Stephen McKinley Henderson and the parasol was just something he had for personal use. Denis saw him with it and was like "that is Thufir Hawat's parasol!"

and if you didn't get a chance to see this movie in a theatre with a good sound system you missed out. the voice sounds super intimidating coming out of my computer speakers but in the theatre it will blast you out of your dang seat.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Rereading again and when Paul meets the Shadout and saves her from the hunter-seeker:

"He paused for the mnemonic blink that would store the pattern of her face in his memory -- prune-wrinkled gestures darkly browned, blue-on-blue eyes without any white in them. He attached the label: The Shadout Mapes"

So the mentat blink is in the book too, which I can't tell makes it cooler or less so. Also it would be nice to see Muad'dib do it in part two. I think it would be enough to show he has mentat capabilities without saying "oh by the way he's also THIS kind of super human"

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Mister Speaker posted:

I like how Paul goes through this in the book with multiple people.

"Milord, I have failed you! Honour demands that I fall on my kindjal!"
"For gently caress's sake, go do your job, I don't have time for this."

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

uber_stoat posted:

i saw an interview with Stephen McKinley Henderson and the parasol was just something he had for personal use. Denis saw him with it and was like "that is Thufir Hawat's parasol!"

and if you didn't get a chance to see this movie in a theatre with a good sound system you missed out. the voice sounds super intimidating coming out of my computer speakers but in the theatre it will blast you out of your dang seat.

I was watching the interview with Denis about box scene on Youtube, and after seeing it in IMAX it just sounded all wrong. Everyone around me winced whenever the voice was used, but it wasn't because it was high pitched or painful or anything. It just completely assaults your senses which is such a cool feeling.

I haven't watched it on my TV with a proper sound system yet but I doubt even with a good home sub it can replicate the effect.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Coxswain Balls posted:

I was watching the interview with Denis about box scene on Youtube, and after seeing it in IMAX it just sounded all wrong. Everyone around me winced whenever the voice was used, but it wasn't because it was high pitched or painful or anything. It just completely assaults your senses which is such a cool feeling.

I haven't watched it on my TV with a proper sound system yet but I doubt even with a good home sub it can replicate the effect.

I watched at home with a middling sub and it was weaksauce compared to the Dolby theatre that blew my nuts off

It was still cool but it was like a totally different effect

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

uber_stoat posted:

Definitely. I'm glad I saw it the first time in IMAX, but you do catch different things in different listening environments. Last night I watched it at home on my (stereo) studio monitors. The thunderous depth of a spacious theatre isn't there but other things become way more apparent - GHM's clipping Voice, for example, sounds thunderous in the theatres coming at you from every speaker but the clipping is so strong on a near-field system that it sounds like it's coming from inside your head. Also, even demuxed to stereo, some of the panned sound design (the multiple Voices, the 'twinkling' of the spice, etc.) remains so wide that it sounds like it's coming from behind you. Really good job by the sound team.

Another neat thing about the sound that I didn't really notice until home viewing is that the Sardaukar bashar's dialogue is overdubbed (possibly by David Peterson himself), even though he's basically mouthing the same words, what we hear is slightly off. I wonder if this was done out of necessity - there was a lot of rain and Piter's lines sound like they may have been ADR as well, and the bashar's voice has this unnatural growly presence - but either way it's a really cool choice, it adds to the 'alienness' of the Sardaukar language.

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Regarding the voice, did you notice that the first instance it's an implied third-person point-of-view, because in the second instance the point-of-view is Paul in first-person and we briefly see him black out when he's under the effect of the Voice - because that's the other touch that I deeply appreciated.

Yeah, I loved that about the Test scene too, Paul blacking out for a second and showing up at GHM's feet was awesome.

What was the device Paul used inside the stilltent, and what was it for? I remember Duncan showing it off to him and Gurney in an early scene, it's a sand displacer or something. Paul seems to test it out inside the tent and then he uses it to burrow a way out of the sand?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mister Speaker posted:

What was the device Paul used inside the stilltent, and what was it for? I remember Duncan showing it off to him and Gurney in an early scene, it's a sand displacer or something. Paul seems to test it out inside the tent and then he uses it to burrow a way out of the sand?

"sand compactor"

I guess it makes a tunnel wall so they can get out without filling the tent with sand

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Mister Speaker posted:

Mohiam makes this accusation of Jessica in the book too, and Jessica responds in somewhat in the affirmative.

quote:

”So I had a son!” Jessica flared. And she knew she was being goaded into this anger deliberately.
“You were told to bear only daughters to the Atreides.”
“It meant so much to him,” Jessica pleaded.
“And you in your pride thought you could produce the Kwisatz Haderach!”
Jessica lifted her chin. “I sensed the possibility.”
“You thought only of your Duke’s desire for a son,” the old woman snapped. “And his desires don’t figure in this. An Atreides daughter could’ve been wed to a Harkonnen heir and sealed the breach. You’ve hopelessly complicated matters. We may lose both bloodlines now.”

Mister Speaker posted:

Paul’s old enough to start poo poo. If he survives and has the ducal ring he could obviously rat out the Baron’s arrangement with the emperor and that would be big trouble. I don’t think they’re at all aware he’s important or has anything going on other than that.

Mister Speaker posted:

No. He doesn’t have his first waking dream in the book until they are in the stilltent.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Sand compactor, holds sand in place so it dosnt collapse on you as you dig through it.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

The Bloop posted:

"sand compactor"

I guess it makes a tunnel wall so they can get out without filling the tent with sand

Yeah, because the stilltent will be buried by sand during the day and you need to excavate yourself at night.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Super Waffle posted:

Sand compactor, holds sand in place so it dosnt collapse on you as you dig through it.
How it manages to compact sand, on the other hand, is a very good question - because silica compacts really poorly.

I get that it's just a plot contrivance, but it's a bit silly all the same.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

uber_stoat posted:

lmao that loving owns

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

How it manages to compact sand, on the other hand, is a very good question - because silica compacts really poorly.

Very carefully

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

skasion posted:

Mohiam makes this accusation of Jessica in the book too, and Jessica responds in somewhat in the affirmative.

Paul’s old enough to start poo poo. If he survives and has the ducal ring he could obviously rat out the Baron’s arrangement with the emperor and that would be big trouble. I don’t think they’re at all aware he’s important or has anything going on other than that.

No. He doesn’t have his first waking dream in the book until they are in the stilltent.

Interesting to think that if the whole Arrakis thing never happened Alia would have been bred with a Harkonnen to seal the breach. Her future was gonna suck no matter the timeline. I mean, unless that timeline had Sting as Feyd

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

How it manages to compact sand, on the other hand, is a very good question...

Holtzman field my dude

Azathoth Prime
Feb 20, 2004

Free 2nd day shipping on all eldritch horrors.

The Bloop posted:

I watched at home with a middling sub and it was weaksauce compared to the Dolby theatre that blew my nuts off

It was still cool but it was like a totally different effect

I have a sub the size of a water heater that could probably do it justice. But I can't turn it up because I live in an apartment now and I don't hate my neighbors. :D

e: I'm really glad I saw it in IMAX as well. Very different experience from home. Both have their advantages. Theater was more immersive, giant screen and ear blasting audio. Home has the advantage of subtitles and being able to pause and rewind.

Azathoth Prime fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Nov 17, 2021

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Watching DUNC from my subwoofer sybian

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i call it "riding the worm"

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

I watched the Children of Dune miniseries. it was quite good, production-wise. At least all the way to the last half hour where they realized they were out of time and rushed to get through the remainder of the book. The audience doesn't learn what Leto II's plan is, what he's doing or what the Golden Path is, so that's a problem. Maybe that's not a problem of the adaptations but of the novels, because from what I read in Dune and Dune Messiah, Herbert is never really clear about the bigger picture stuff or what people are actually working towards.

Anyway in the last half hour of the miniseries it seemed like people's motivations were all over the place as we were shown what seemed like a random assortment of scenes from the books. They did what they had to do I guess, adapting two books in the same amount of time as the first miniseries took to adapt one. However that being said, lots of positives, music was good, sets were good, effects had quite the step up from the first miniseries. Some good actors too, I didn't know Susan Sarandon was in this.

I much prefer the sandworm design to Dunc's.
Are the twins boning in the book? They were pretty touchy feely here. Including some romantic kisses on the lips. Ghanima doesn't marry the Corino guy because of "politics", but there were no other suitors, so... Was she hoping to marry her brother or something?
Ultimately though, I think the story was bad, and that's all Herbert. Alia's possessed by the ghost of the Baron? Kojima write this? I looked up just what the Golden Path was after and I'm sorry, it just doesn't make sense.

Herbert seems to introduce concepts by just pretending like they've always been a part of the universe (see: gholas, bene tleilax, face dancers, even though the mere existence of those things would have dramatically changed the way people acted in the first novel), but here he kind of did the Star Wars thing where something offhandedly said by one character (abomination!) is retroactively made into a bigger deal than it was. Now there's a Trial of Abomination and it's a Thing that people are just aware of now and possession is a real thing that seems to have happened before because everybody's talking like "oh yeah, possession, definitely could happen" like it's just this commonplace thing that they deal with? I dunno.

stratdax fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Nov 17, 2021

Super.Jesus
Oct 20, 2011

stratdax posted:

I watched the Children of Dune miniseries. it was quite good, production-wise. At least all the way to the last half hour where they realized they were out of time and rushed to get through the remainder of the book. The audience doesn't learn what Leto II's plan is, what he's doing or what the Golden Path is, so that's a problem. Maybe that's not a problem of the adaptations but of the novels, because from what I read in Dune and Dune Messiah, Herbert is never really clear about the bigger picture stuff or what people are actually working towards.

Anyway in the last half hour of the miniseries it seemed like people's motivations were all over the place as we were shown what seemed like a random assortment of scenes from the books. They did what they had to do I guess, adapting two books in the same amount of time as the first miniseries took to adapt one. However that being said, lots of positives, music was good, sets were good, effects had quite the step up from the first miniseries. Some good actors too, I didn't know Susan Sarandon was in this.

I much prefer the sandworm design to Dunc's.
Are the twins boning in the book? They were pretty touchy feely here. Including some romantic kisses on the lips. Ghanima doesn't marry the Corino guy because of "politics", but there were no other suitors, so... Was she hoping to marry her brother or something?
Ultimately though, I think the story was bad, and that's all Herbert. Alia's possessed by the ghost of the Baron? Kojima write this? I looked up just what the Golden Path was after and I'm sorry, it just doesn't make sense.

Herbert seems to introduce concepts by just pretending like they've always been a part of the universe (see: gholas, bene tleilax, face dancers, even though the mere existence of those things would have dramatically changed the way people acted in the first novel), but here he kind of did the Star Wars thing where something offhandedly said by one character (abomination!) is retroactively made into a bigger deal than it was. Now there's a Trial of Abomination and it's a Thing that people are just aware of now and possession is a real thing that seems to have happened before because everybody's talking like "oh yeah, possession, definitely could happen" like it's just this commonplace thing that they deal with? I dunno.

I love the end of Children of Dune (the series) because Alia's evil plan is to stockpile melange and kill the desert and the worms so the Atreides control all of it.
Why?
This is exactly what Leto II does in the millenia between Children of Dune and GEOD. But at the end of the series, he gets his big drat hero moment and convinces everyone he's saving them from Aria.

E: Fremen and BG are aware of abomination, due to their exposure to macrodoses of spice around pregnant women.

the heebie-gbs
Apr 23, 2007

♫ twerrrmmmmm ♫
       /
:sax:

Mister Speaker posted:

i think Gurney is not the only approaching "old man" that Paul is recognizing there

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

DandyLion posted:

Holtzman field my dude

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

the heebie-gbs posted:

i think Gurney is not the only approaching "old man" that Paul is recognizing there

Yeah, that's what I meant.

the heebie-gbs
Apr 23, 2007

♫ twerrrmmmmm ♫
       /
:sax:

Mister Speaker posted:

Yeah, that's what I meant.

hell yeah it's such a good moment

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
STOP DOING JIHAD
  • OFFWORLDERS WERE NOT SUPPOSED TO BE GIVEN SIETCH NAMES
  • YEARS OF WEIRDING yet NO REAL-WORLD USE FOUND for prana bindu
  • Wanted to stop a harvester anyway for a laugh? We had a tool for that: It was called a "THUMPER"
  • "Yes let's follow qizarat to another world where we will see endless water that none can drink" - Statements dreamed up by a sun-crazed madman
LOOK at what Fedaykin have been struggling for all this time
(these are REAL visions from REAL mahdi)

"HE IS THE KWISATZ HADERACH"

"I WILL KILL HIM"

"SOO-SOO-SOOK!"

They have played us for absolute fools

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Mister Speaker posted:

Paul is the Duke's recognized heir, especially if he has the Atreides ducal ring, I guess. I assume once Leto was dead, Paul (if alive) was now the head of house, and if he got off Arrakis and went to the Landsraad to say "You remember how my daddy got killed by Harkonnens in our feud? Actually it was Sardaukar," and everyone else just loving murders the Corrino and Harkonnens, possibly with free Guild tickets. At that point, it's academic for the Corrinos and Harkonnens as they are dead.

Jessica would probably also have been bad, but she wasn't Leto's wife.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Paul Got Nukes, they certainly care about him

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Nessus posted:

Paul is the Duke's recognized heir, especially if he has the Atreides ducal ring, I guess.

The ring is just a moral symbol, not a legal artifact. The baron wants the ring because his taking it symbolizes the destruction of his rival, not because if he has it the Lego’s legitimate heir becomes somehow not his heir.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Phanatic posted:

The ring is just a moral symbol, not a legal artifact. The baron wants the ring because his taking it symbolizes the destruction of his rival, not because if he has it the Lego’s legitimate heir becomes somehow not his heir.

Herbert doesn’t lean on this too hard but a signet ring is absolutely a legal artifact. It’s what authenticates a document as being from the Atreides Duke. If Paul has it he can send a letter to the Landsraad and they will actually have to acknowledge it, everyone will know it came from him. In the book he tells Kynes this is his plan. Let the dust settle for a little bit and then blackmail the emperor with the threat of a letter to the Landsraad explaining everything. If he doesn’t have the ring they can just say he’s some loving weirdo desert guy and call his bluff