Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Finally giving Arena another try. I don't really care to play Historic anymore ever since the persistent effect thing happened, but if it's really that easy to keep consistent standard decks going with f2p, I may as well bite the bullet and learn to play limited even though it's the format I hate most.

Anymore I just wanna throw cards around without feeling gross going to the LGS where masks don't matter anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Deviant posted:

I come to you from the Arena thread to figure out what from VOW would best benefit this weird rear end deck that I just love playing.

Deck
8 Snow-Covered Island (KHM) 279
4 Frostboil Snarl (STX) 265
4 Expressive Iteration (STX) 186
3 Seize the Spoils (KHM) 149
4 Boots of Speed (AFR) 133
2 Prismari Command (STX) 214
2 Volatile Fjord (KHM) 273
3 Negate (ZNR) 71
9 Snow-Covered Mountain (KHM) 283
4 Frost Bite (KHM) 138
2 Thundering Rebuke (ZNR) 170
4 Pixie Guide (AFR) 66
4 Barbarian Class (AFR) 131
4 Delina, Wild Mage (AFR) 138
3 Behold the Multiverse (KHM) 46

Sideboard
2 Critical Hit (AFR) 137
2 Crush the Weak (KHM) 128

It's so goddamn silly and basically plays solitaire until the combo clicks together. but a new set means new possibilities. thoughts?

Wandering mind? I don't know.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Is this sarcastic or sincere. I honestly can't tell

You are a great poster, Pablo Nergigante. This is not sarcasm.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

kalel posted:

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Anyone who plays both modern burn and merfolk is cool and my friend :cool::respek::cool:

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Sinteres posted:

I was excited about Innistrad Double Feature, and sad that every indication so far is that it won't be on Arena, but 1. the greyscale art kinda looks like poo poo imo, and 2. it's the laziest implementation possible.

https://twitter.com/ghirapurigears/status/1460768816703574016

FWIW here's Maro on it not being curated at all:

I agree that I wish we’d done a better job when announcing it of making players understand what it is. Midnight Hunt and Crimson Vow were made purposely to have a lot of overlapping themes, so we liked giving players a chance to play them together, and the black and white treatment which made them feel like 50’s horror films felt like a cool way to do that visually.

I think the main reason all the cards were included was to let players have access to the treatment for all the cards. There’s a parallel universe where we didn’t print some of the cards where I’m getting complaints from players that their favorite card from one of the sets didn’t get the treatment.

PleasantDirge posted:

I'm really cised your pet deck went T1 wild. Such a great feeling and the only thing close is the joy of beating Johnny come lately's who picked up the deck because it's the current new hotness. You are such a fun person to have in here, couldn't have happened to a nicer wizard poker player

I hope the price on these boxes go into the toilet so I can pick one up on the cheap for a fun werewolves/vampire draft some time later

nudejedi posted:

I think double feature was the next set my homies were planning to draft so that'd be sweet if they end up cheap!
i dunno people complaining about the greyscaling.. it looks fine.. not the best and zero effort but not sure how many players will really care. the formatting change of the oracle text between the evolving wilds in MID and VOW is weird though.
edit: (just realized the quote is different, duh)

this set is a limited edition run only for WPN stores and only the premium stores get the fancy promo card. my guess is even if it tanks/bombs the price of the boxes will remain higher than the regular innistrad draft boxes because there's not a lot of it. and also since each pack has 2 rare/mythics but a chance at a third... and since most stores aren't getting that much anyways so there won't be much to dump.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

kalel posted:

Cactrot posted:

Anyone who plays both modern burn and merfolk is cool and my friend :cool::respek::cool:

Ty :) I think pleasantdirge was being sincere since we’ve had good interactions in this thread. I’m just paranoid lol

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
The thing with greyscale and old movies is that they used weird colors so that things would look good. Just greyscaling regular art is super lazy.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

neaden posted:

The thing with greyscale and old movies is that they used weird colors so that things would look good. Just greyscaling regular art is super lazy.

Yeah it's pretty lazy. I think there's a new variant where they did put some effort into some cards and that's it.

The more annoying thing for me is that they released the Innistrad sets so close together so they could do this.. which meant less time playing MID (which i liked drafting), less time on VOW, and a brief time where you're drafting DBL. and like even after DBL gets releaed it goes _straight_ into Neon Dynasty spoilers a couple weeks after.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Drewjitsu posted:

What is an average win rate? 50%? If so, I think that premier drafting is your best bet for returns.

There is a win rate to prizing calculator that exists somewhere (Ryan Spain might have a copy) and you can crunch the numbers to see what is best. I would caution you away from quick drafting, as they payouts are quite flat, and drafting against bots, only makes you better at drafting with bots.

Thanks a lot for this, much appreciated. Yah I was assuming average would be like 50% win rate. I will try to jump in a few Premier Drafts this week and will report back. The draft format seems like a lot of fun so at least I'll be enjoying myself even if I don't get a lot of wins.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Lone Goat posted:

Great news!

Toggo is why I want rocks to spread all over magic, in all formats.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Toggo is why I want rocks to spread all over magic, in all formats.

Dear WOTC,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jp8znvfYbow

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

I think maybe Delina needs one copy of Alchemist's Gambit, for when the dice go horns.aiff and leave your enemy at 1 life. But I'm not certain.

just rust
Oct 23, 2012

Framboise posted:

Finally giving Arena another try. I don't really care to play Historic anymore ever since the persistent effect thing happened,

You will almost never see a card with Persist being played so if you like eternal formats just play historic and don't worry about this.

The only Persist cards that see any play are the Freyalise Planeswalker in Elves and then some control decks with white in them were playing the cycling creature thing that I don't remember the name of because I almost never see it. In my experience both of these are pretty rare, but I don't play BO1.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Arcane Secret Lair feels like a real head scratcher.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

https://dotesports.com/mtg/news/wotc-unveils-magic-the-gathering-secret-lair-drops-inspired-by-arcane
lol oh god

Please just once make a Secret Lair for a property I care about :negative:

fadam fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Nov 17, 2021

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
So in the MSCHF Lair you peel a film off of the golf course plains and it becomes a Battlefield Forge?

https://twitter.com/TheMaverickGal/status/1461015987726213124

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

I read the URL as inspired by Arkane and then I opened the link and became immediately disappointed.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Cactrot posted:

I read the URL as inspired by Arkane and then I opened the link and became immediately disappointed.

A set based on Dishonored would kick rear end

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

fadam posted:

https://dotesports.com/mtg/news/wotc-unveils-magic-the-gathering-secret-lair-drops-inspired-by-arcane
lol oh god

I don't think they have rights to the Dostoyevsky Cinematic Universe tho??

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

fadam posted:

lol oh god

Hey finally a secret lair I care about

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Gimme da Soulsborne secret lair chumps!!

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

fadam posted:

lol oh god

Super hilarious to see people getting excited about this because it's a game(/show) they actually like when normally they would be flipping out about how Magic is dying if it was something they didn't

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I haven't been keeping notes on who is posting what, but is it at all possible there are different posters here with different opinions?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

My goon spreadsheet suggests actually everyone did a complete 180, even me.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Dark Souls
Tom and Jerry
The Toronto Raptors
Thomas the Tank Engine

So many properties to explore, but instead we get some normie cartoon :(

Just kidding, I hope the cards are cool and I'm glad the world's most popular Netflix show is getting some MTG clout.

Actually doesn't Riot have their own TCG now lol? This is pretty crazy.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

AngryBooch posted:

So in the MSCHF Lair you peel a film off of the golf course plains and it becomes a Battlefield Forge?

https://twitter.com/TheMaverickGal/status/1461015987726213124

this is really cool but i wish the sticker was partly transparent rather than an entire sticker.. like nothing changes about it but it would be cool if the flaming sky and the oracle box were hidden because of the sticker and only shows up once you peel ... yeah anyways... cool. hope this doesn't become the norm though.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

odiv posted:

I haven't been keeping notes on who is posting what, but is it at all possible there are different posters here with different opinions?

I didn't say anywhere in my post I was talking about posters in this thread. The general sentiment on social media for the past crossover secret lairs have been tons of doom and gloom about the future of Magic, and that's what I was talking about. I looked at the Twitter responses to the announcement in a few different places and mostly just saw people excited about it.
I don't know why you tried to turn me making a general statement about finding that funny into me obsessively tracking the posting history of people in the MTG thread, but uh, you do you.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

fadam posted:

Actually doesn't Riot have their own TCG now lol? This is pretty crazy.

That was where my head went. I feel like advertising a competitor to Arena is...an odd choice.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Havel the Rock 2RR

Legendary Creature - Hollow Knight

6/6

Trample, Vigilance

Creatures blocking Havel the Rock get deathtouch until end of turn.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/magic-the-gathering-and-league-of-legends-arcane-crossover-for-secret-lair-drop/1100-6498089/

Didn't realize the cards got posted. Cool reprints (Rhystic baby!!!), but I don't really like the art tbh.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

GonSmithe posted:

I didn't say anywhere in my post I was talking about posters in this thread. The general sentiment on social media for the past crossover secret lairs have been tons of doom and gloom about the future of Magic, and that's what I was talking about. I looked at the Twitter responses to the announcement in a few different places and mostly just saw people excited about it.
I don't know why you tried to turn me making a general statement about finding that funny into me obsessively tracking the posting history of people in the MTG thread, but uh, you do you.

People mostly have an issue with unique, Secret Lair exclusives. No one cares about the Godzilla cards cause you can get a non-Godzilla card that does the same thing. But that didn't happen with The Walking Dead cards so people got (understandably imo) upset.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

GonSmithe posted:

I'm fixing your post so you don't get angry when we don't understand that you were referring to something in your head without saying it

quote:

Super hilarious to see people on twitter getting excited about this because it's a game(/show) they actually like when normally they would be flipping out about how Magic is dying if it was something they didn't

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

fadam posted:

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/magic-the-gathering-and-league-of-legends-arcane-crossover-for-secret-lair-drop/1100-6498089/

Didn't realize the cards got posted. Cool reprints (Rhystic baby!!!), but I don't really like the art tbh.

I don't care about LoL or the show so maybe that's it but to me it does not look any different from WOTC art. If you told me this was some random card from Strixhaven I would believe you.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perry Mason Jar posted:

People mostly have an issue with unique, Secret Lair exclusives. No one cares about the Godzilla cards cause you can get a non-Godzilla card that does the same thing. But that didn't happen with The Walking Dead cards so people got (understandably imo) upset.
You're right that more people are mad about that (terrible, dumb) practice (which people should have gotten upset about), but the general sentiment on social media for all of the crossover stuff (even the Godzilla stuff) is that it's WOTC selling out and killing Magic. When they announced the Stranger Things one and the upcoming Street Fighter and Fortnite Secret Lairs, especially in response to the Fornite one, that was definitely the general sentiment I saw on social media (and this was after announcing they won't be doing the Walking Dead thing). So I'm just laughing that it took League of Legends cards to make the people finally soyface about the cards.

fadam posted:

These all look super boring. Arcane is such a nice looking show and they managed to make these all look so bland.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

GonSmithe posted:

I didn't say anywhere in my post I was talking about posters in this thread.
Hey, fair. I apologize.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

It's pretty hosed up that none of the cards in the Arcane SL have the sub-type tbh.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
lmao is one of the Arcane characters really named Jayce?

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Pablo Nergigante posted:

A set based on Dishonored would kick rear end

Agreed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

whydirt posted:

lmao is one of the Arcane characters really named Jayce?

Yeah, and he's accused of illegal experimentation and endangering the citizens of Piltover.