Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
More horrible goodness come out of Blizzard: Kotick, the CEO who threatened a sexual assault survivor, used their only executive woman on the board Fran Townsend to pen an email that outraged the company, which said executive then resigned over.

https://kotaku.com/bobby-kotick-actually-wrote-fran-townsends-deranged-co-1848069983

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Willa Rogers posted:

That's untrue, as I've pointed out before.

The most popular social programs are the universal ones; it's when you create student-loan forgiveness for Pell grant recipients who ran a business in a minority community for three years that raises people's hackles.

But by ventriloquizing what they think that conservatives believe, liberals get themselves off the hook for their own opposition to universal programs, as well as absolve themselves for any advocacy or even support of universal programs.

eta: An example is GOP support of price controls for prescription drugs, which is 75-80 percent. No one on the right is saying "everyone should pay less for drugs except for those people."

vvv Oh ho ho, let me take you back in the time machine to the 2020 dem primaries and the liberal FUD against M4A, both among candidates & the media.

How do you not constantly ventriloquize what Liberals believe though? Why is this a one way street where you can blame the dems and libs for every evil ever but anytime anyone mentions conservatives or voters or anything you jump in with "you can't judge a group of people like that this is why all libs are the devil"

Trazz
Jun 11, 2008

Peter Daou Zen posted:

They were going to put the Shaman in jail for potentially TWENTY years

Not long enough, should have been doubled

If he wasn't a white guy he'd be too dead to stand trial

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
The State of American Politics in 2021:

quote:

Pelosi: This vote is about workplace harassment. This vote is to establish that the United States Congress does not and will not support workplace harassment or threats of violence against other members. I move to pass the resolution by voice vote.

quote:

A chorus of mixed "objection" and "nay" erupts in the chambers.

quote:

After the motion for a voice vote fails, Pelosi directs the chair to begin debate and schedule a vote.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Jaxyon posted:

Why? They're not any less racist than others, an often moreso. They've got more perceived privilege to lose.

How are you going to reach them? I'm not saying it's impossible, I'm saying it's not easy. People lie about their motivations and nobody ever thinks they are a racist.

Honestly, I don't know for sure whether this will help fix it or not, but people need help. They need universal health care, a living wage, a UBI, guaranteed housing, guaranteed food, paid sick leave - all the things that, I'll admit, seem pretty impossible with the system we have.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Say, that reminds me: Whatever happened to the plans to disclose the findings of those secret Congressional tribunals they had for sexual harassment & discrimination perpetrated by members, and the secret settlements they made?

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

The problem is the most vocal opponents of even universal programs are the ones we are seeing in these videos. Nobody on the left is opposing universal programs, are they?

The Democratic party, in general, opposes universal programs.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

ex post facho posted:

I said the left, but sure.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

There are lots of people who have spent their lives being indoctrinated simply by circumstance that a universal program is something they pay for to finance losers, undesirables and lazy people on their dime. It causes unbelievable rage in what would otherwise be potentially liberal people.

The idea that you must work and contribute to society is as ingrained as basic stuff like fastening your seatbelt, the laws of gravity or the sun rising in the east. People can't change their minds about this what so ever. Those who do support universal programs of some kind usually do so with the caveat that people shouldn't "abuse" them and they're there for people who are truly in need.

When the stimulus checks were being cut and there was extended unemployment etc there were lots of stories about service workers and low income households "putting their feet up" and not working during the pandemic. People speak of these things with revulsion.

Kraftwerk fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Nov 17, 2021

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Honestly, I don't know for sure whether this will help fix it or not, but people need help. They need universal health care, a living wage, a UBI, guaranteed housing, guaranteed food, paid sick leave - all the things that, I'll admit, seem pretty impossible with the system we have.

One of the biggest challenges of Medicare and one of the reasons why it isn't universal is explicitly the white racists not wanting the wrong people to get it.

They mostly are impossible, and one of the reasons is the many, many racists who are for them, until the wrong people get them.

ex post facho posted:

The only people who consider the Dems "left" are fascists.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Willa Rogers posted:

Say, that reminds me: Whatever happened to the plans to disclose the findings of those secret Congressional tribunals they had for sexual harassment & discrimination perpetrated by members, and the secret settlements they made?

They passed a bill in 2018 to make congress publicize them and make members of congress responsible for paying damages and settlements.

They tried to pass another bill in 2019 to make it apply to civil rights violations too, but it died in the Senate.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Apparently the FBI did an ‘oopsie’ and the government is going to throw out the convictions of the two men alleged to have killed Malcolm X, 55 years after the fact

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1461018294429884426?s=21

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Mellow Seas posted:

While there's a good chance of arrest if you do it in the wrong community I don't think anybody is getting four years in prison for it, which is the as of today the max sentence for Capitol invasion.
max sentence for white nationalists.
if you or i thought hard enough about the capital while also wanting good things for poor people it would be much higher.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jaxyon posted:

Yeah this whole poo poo has made it clear that just like anything else in America, you get infinite chances to make make mistakes as a white man.
I don't mean to pick on you but this would come as news to the millions of white men who are incarcerated, suffering from PTSD from military service, working for scraps in unsurmountable debt, etc... hell, even Chansley himself got three years in prison, even if it's troubling he was able to get a couple of years knocked off by kissing the judge's rear end in a sufficiently white manner.

I think it's really important that white privilege be framed as something that white people get and POC deserve as well, rather than something that white people get but don't deserve. The problem isn't that white men get too many chances but that their black counterparts get only one, or sometimes zero.

InsertPotPun posted:

max sentence for white nationalists.
if you or i thought hard enough about the capital while also wanting good things for poor people it would be much higher.
Yeah, probably. It's just a matter of time until we find out, really, because eventually the right is going to legitimately steal an election in the way that they just claimed the Democrats did, and it's going to happen again, only with an actual reason instead of a made up one.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Kraftwerk posted:

There are lots of people who have spent their lives being indoctrinated simply by circumstance that a universal program is something they pay for to finance losers, undesirables and lazy people on their dime. It causes unbelievable rage in what would otherwise be potentially liberal people.

The idea that you must work and contribute to society is as ingrained as basic stuff like fastening your seatbelt, the laws of gravity or the sun rising in the east. People can't change their minds about this what so ever. Those who do support universal programs of some kind usually do so with the caveat that people shouldn't "abuse" them and they're there for people who are truly in need.

When the stimulus checks were being cut and there was extended unemployment etc there were lots of stories about service workers and low income households "putting their feet up" and not working during the pandemic. People speak of these things with revulsion.

And even the Dems wrap themselves in "working families" rhetoric, as if those are the defining characteristics of those who deserve any sort of help.

eta:

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

They passed a bill in 2018 to make congress publicize them and make members of congress responsible for paying damages and settlements.

They tried to pass another bill in 2019 to make it apply to civil rights violations too, but it died in the Senate.

Going forward, I assume?

I should've known we'd never find out who faces charges in the past, especially given our sitting president.

Willa Rogers fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Nov 17, 2021

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

aBagorn posted:

lmao, im so sick of them including Judaism in their dumb rear end rants about this poo poo.

I love the "how do you do fellow Muslims" part though I'm just imagining that outreach

"Hello my Muslim friend we may not agree on everything but we must join forces to stop the looney left from teaching Satanism in our schools"
"Oh no, what satanic things are they teaching?"
"Communism! Sex Ed! My kid even had to pray to Mecca and learn that you worship the same God as us, when everyone knows the Allah you worship is a Bedouin Moon God who is really one of the faces of Satan himself!"
"..."
"Moon God!! Go back to Eye-Ran!"

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Paul Gosar just got up to speak in his defense and he:

- Said that anime is an art form and extreme overhyped violence is part of the art.
- Complained about the rise of anti-Asian hate crimes and implied this was discriminatory against "Asian" culture.
- Compared himself to Alexander Hamilton.
- Made some argument that I couldn't follow about how mask mandates for members of congress means that they can't censure someone for sharing a cartoon.

and then just left to go yell at David Cicilline after Cicilline interrupted him by yelling "You're no Alexander Hamilton!"

Trazz
Jun 11, 2008

Mellow Seas posted:

Yeah, probably. It's just a matter of time until we find out, really, because eventually the right is going to legitimately steal an election in the way that they just claimed the Democrats did, and it's going to happen again, only with an actual reason instead of a made up one.

The right has stolen 2 elections since 2000

Kale
May 14, 2010

My takeaways from the Gosar censuring thing are both to marvel at the fact that they apparently gave a guy like that committee assignments to begin with and to wonder at the sheer howling you'd hear from the GOP if a Democratic house rep had posted a video advocating for violence against Trump while he was president. Hell even so much as disagreeing with anything he said is like sacrilege worthy of the death penalty to the modern GOP so.....

Anyway of all the current GOP ghouls in congress right now he just looks on the face of it the most......evil. Just something profoundly immediately creepy and disturbing about the guys body language alone that even MTG doesn't have outright at first glance. My first impression when seeing MTG is that I'm looking at an annoying entitled boomer lady that's going to rattle off right wing talking points any second. My impression when seeing Paul Gosar is that I'm looking at the devil in the flesh. Like not one to stereotype based on appearance but there's nothing about that guys default facial expressions or body language that indicate someone up to any good at all. I just see pure malice and psychosis basically.

Kale fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Nov 17, 2021

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Mellow Seas posted:

I don't mean to pick on you but this would come as news to the millions of white men who are incarcerated, suffering from PTSD from military service, working for scraps in unsurmountable debt, etc... hell, even Chansley himself got three years in prison, even if it's troubling he was able to get a couple of years knocked off by kissing the judge's rear end in a sufficiently white manner.

I think it's really important that white privilege be framed as something that white people get and POC deserve as well, rather than something that white people get but don't deserve. The problem isn't that white men get too many chances but that their black counterparts get only one, or sometimes zero.

POC do deserve to make mistakes and not have it ruin their life, I agree.

They seldom get that, and not only does this man get a sympathetic judge that almost no POC ever gets, he will likely not have his life ruined by his prison stay.

In the US, a white man who has a criminal record gets more interview callbacks than a black man with no record.

Cow Bell
Aug 29, 2007

Trazz posted:

Not long enough, should have been doubled

If he wasn't a white guy he'd be too dead to stand trial

Scratch a liberal and a fascist bleeds. Advocating someone get 40 years for the high crime of dressing like an idiot during a riot is tantamount to torture. Absolutely an insane opinion to hold.

Might as well tell the qanon shaman not to drop the soap and look out for Bubba while you're at it.

Cow Bell fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Nov 17, 2021

Trazz
Jun 11, 2008

Cow Bell posted:

Scratch a liberal and a fascist bleeds. Advocating someone get 40 years for the high crime of dressing like an idiot during a riot is tantamount to torture. Absolutely an insane opinion to hold.

You make it sound like he was a lost child instead of an adult who was deliberately there as part of a white nationalist plot

He should get 40 years because that's still going easy on him

"Punishing fascists is the REAL fascism" :jerkbag:

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Cow Bell posted:

Might as well tell the qanon shaman not to drop the soap and look out for Bubba while you're at it.

His crime wasn't "dressing like an idiot" it was being part of a group of people charging the capital for the express purpose of stopping the election from being validated via violence, why continue to go out of your way to give actual fascist behavior a pass in order to own the libs?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Cow Bell posted:

The prison system in action is the one Conservatives like him believe should exist. They just never expected to be the ones in it.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

selec posted:

Think the leftist pitch for America needs to be about Getting The Man Off Your Back.

The man makes you work before you clock in, or steals your wages and tips.

The man makes your doctor call some pencil neck insurance dork to see if he’s allowed to use his expertise to help you. What’s that loving desk working dork got to do with you and your doctor? Get that loving nerd out of here.

The man makes you go to endless HR trainings while you know your boss sexually harasses people at every company party (which none of the hourly folks get invited to) and then fires anybody who mentions the boss doing this. gently caress that! Fair is fair, hold the boss to the same standard you hold me.

The man sits by his pool in his second house, next to his third wife, while the only thing you got three of is kids to feed and jobs to work. The man then tells you you’re lazy. That you’re the lazy one!

The man tells you that you’re going to work until you die, but he retires before he’s even hit 55.

Get The Man Off Your Back is typically a right wing, libertarian framing, but it can obviously be put in service to a concept of freedom and dignity that would appeal to a lot of people.

But you gotta maybe hurt the feelings of some of those HR and lanyard types.

A good idea on paper, but unfortunately, racism and misogyny and just more fun for a vast majority of self-identified conservatives and "independents".

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Timely reminder of one of my favorite cartoons:

Cow Bell
Aug 29, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

The prison system in action is the one Conservatives like him believe should exist. They just never expected to be the ones in it.

I completely agree. I think it's also pretty sickening to watch people "on our side" baying for blood and begging for the state to subject even more people to cruelty, just because.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

A good idea on paper, but unfortunately, racism and misogyny and just more fun for a vast majority of self-identified conservatives and "independents".

You don’t even need them, you just find the pool of non-voters who would like this if the right hard-charging personality was at the front of it.

But it can’t be anybody the party leadership would pick, can’t be some bloodless HR type.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Willa Rogers posted:

Going forward, I assume?

I should've known we'd never find out who faces charges in the past, especially given our sitting president.

The fund was only created in 1996 and it applies to all staff employed by the legislative branch and not just congressman. John Conyers and Blake Farenthold were the notable sitting members who had used taxpayer funds for a settlement.

They did provide breakdowns of how much was paid each year and how many claims there were.

https://www.ocwr.gov/sites/default/files/2017.11.16%20Awards%20And%20Settlements%20Appropriation.pdf

There were between 6 and 25 payouts per year. The inspector general said that most of them were from staff outside of congress for labor violations and discrimination complaints.

quote:

A large portion of cases originate from employing offices in the legislative branch other than the House of Representatives or the Senate, and involve various statutory provisions incorporated by the CAA, such as the overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act, the Family and Medical Leave Act, and the Americans with Disabilities Act.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Cow Bell posted:

40 years is insane. So's 20, frankly.

But it's incredible to me that the person advocating for a harsh sentence is the one you're calling a fascist here, not someone literally trying to overturn an election and install the closest thing the US has had to a fascist president in my lifetime.

Never miss a chance to rage against liberals I guess.

Willa Rogers posted:

A Good cartoon

I like this one too. It's a bit in contrast with the "we should embrace the anti-CRT arguments for our own ends" and "it's bad to call people burning LGBT books Nazis" sentiments in the thread though.

DeadlyMuffin fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Nov 17, 2021

Trazz
Jun 11, 2008

Cow Bell posted:

I completely agree. I think it's also pretty sickening to watch people "on our side" baying for blood and begging for the state to subject even more people to cruelty, just because.

"Just because," for no reason, please ignore the fact that he was a part of a white supremacist plot to overthrow the country

I swear people like you and Willa are just posting so that they can be useless scolds

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Kale posted:

My takeaways from the Gosar censuring thing are both to marvel at the fact that they apparently gave a guy like that committee assignments to begin with and to wonder at the sheer howling you'd hear from the GOP if a Democratic house rep had posted a video advocating for violence against Trump while he was president.
remember when kathy griffin held up a fake trump head and democrats where evil incarnate for scaring little sexual escapade pseudonym trump?

Cow Bell posted:

lol! you're gonna be here for a LONG time for some reason and anyone who argues with you or wonders why will get a probe so: good point person! you're so smart to see through the evil machinations!

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Cow Bell posted:

I have plenty of cognitive space to both think that his leniency is a problem, AND ALSO that harsh punishments for minorities is a problem

I'm not going to stop advocating against unjust punishments for everyone just because he somehow gets the 20 year sentence that a black man would

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Peter Daou Zen posted:

They were going to put the Shaman in jail for potentially TWENTY years for the high crime of: Wandering around the U.S Capitol chambers. That is not okay.

Incarcerating people for non violent actions like that is indefensible. If you assault somebody, that's different. But he and many others did no such thing.

Frankly, this is just sour grapes from the Democrats because they are embarrassed by all of this. Biden having National Guard all around the Capitol for months was embarrassing, as if there were clamoring hordes ready to siege our most honorable capitol.

"Insurrection" being a highly dubious claim. Erdogan's attempted coup was an insurrection. What happened to Gaddafi was an insurrection. This was just an overblown riot at best.

are you loving joking

they literally wanted to hang mike pence, they chanted it over and over while they were hunting for him and other politicians, they brought gallows

im getting trolled arent i

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Cow Bell posted:

He should be in jail. And yes, our jails should be reformed.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I'm a prison abolitionist so that still extends to mentally ill fascists. The dude needs help and is a danger to others but lmao if you think the American prison system will help in any way. He's getting 4 years to learn from even more violent people.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The fund was only created in 1996 and it applies to all staff employed by the legislative branch and not just congressman. John Conyers and Blake Farenthold were the notable sitting members who had used taxpayer funds for a settlement.

They did provide breakdowns of how much was paid each year and how many claims there were.

https://www.ocwr.gov/sites/default/files/2017.11.16%20Awards%20And%20Settlements%20Appropriation.pdf

There were between 6 and 25 payouts per year. The inspector general said that most of them were from staff outside of congress for labor violations and discrimination complaints.

Thanks!

Trazz posted:

"Just because," for no reason, please ignore the fact that he was a part of a white supremacist plot to overthrow the country

I swear people like you and Willa are just posting so that they can be useless scolds

Or, you know, we could be posting in good faith because this is what we truly believe.

I spent decades fan-girling the Dem party, working my rear end off for them, fundraising for them, going door-to-door for them, convincing people to vote for them. My disenchantment was not created out of thin air in order to be a contrarian posting in debate & discussion, but out of real-life experiences.

Willa Rogers fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Nov 17, 2021

Cow Bell
Aug 29, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

He should be in jail. And yes, our jails should be reformed.

Gumball Gumption posted:

I'm a prison abolitionist so that still extends to mentally ill fascists. The dude needs help and is a danger to others but lmao if you think the American prison system will help in any way. He's getting 4 years to learn from even more violent people.

Quoting this user because that's essentially where I'm at.

DeadlyMuffin posted:

40 years is insane. So's 20, frankly.

But it's incredible to me that the person advocating for a harsh sentence is the one you're calling a fascist here,

It's not too far out of line when someone is advocating for 40 years of time in pound-me-in-the-rear end prison for nonviolent crime

quote:

not someone literally trying to overturn an election and install the closest thing the US has had to a fascist president in my lifetime.

Never miss a chance to rage against liberals I guess.

I think this is generally an overblown way to describe what many of the rioters were involved in. As stated above I don't really agree with the jailing of non-violent offenders to begin with, but a few years for criminal trespassing seems like more than enough of a punishment considering what an American prison is like. Asking for 40 years is just bloodthirsty.

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

Cow Bell posted:

Surely you have the capacity to question the prison system and the bloodthirstyness without pretending like he wasn't explicitly there as part of a violent mob intending to use violence and intimidation to halt the election.

Like, come the gently caress on. He wasn't arrested for cosplaying; he was arrested because he was there in the hopes of watching Pelosi torn to shreds and Trump instated as President Forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

Kale posted:

My takeaways from the Gosar censuring thing are both to marvel at the fact that they apparently gave a guy like that committee assignments to begin with and to wonder at the sheer howling you'd hear from the GOP if a Democratic house rep had posted a video advocating for violence against Trump while he was president. Hell even so much as disagreeing with anything he said is like sacrilege worthy of the death penalty to the modern GOP so.....

You don't need to wonder. Look at how they responded to Kathy griffin, a d-list celebrity holding that paper mache trump head from last year or 2019. They lost their poo poo; imagine if a dem had done something like that - they'd demand the dem be expelled from congress and some dems would side with Republicans and vote for expulsion.