Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

Dunno-Lars posted:

Or order everything as instructed, and refer to the e-mail you got confirming that is what you were supposed to do? Who would get in trouble?

It's not about getting into trouble its just a waste of time.

The issue is the order would not get approved, seemingly the only way we get anything here is to pre-approach the finance manager and say "I need x for y" and get him to say ok - then when he sees y on the order description he is aware of it so he says ok. Also hard work but that's life.

In this instance, this woman has said she has had the finance conversation and finance agree y = phase 1 - but she is trying to pretend y = phase 1 + 2 + 3

I will get asked what the order is because I raise it and I'm not going to lie and pretend 1 + 2 + 3 is actually 1 like she is suggesting I should do.

If I did, I'm a liar or the order gets rejected and I get more work when I do it again properly.

So we will do it right the first time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

"You can't join a CNC machine to the domain....why are we still talking about this?"

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
This post may be preemptive, but I found out last week our team had enough in the budget to give two employees raises, and I was one of those employees. I was told it wasn't going to be much, but watch for my next paycheck. Also, it's separate from a COL increase.

Checked today and it looks like a 2% increase. He was right, not much, but better than nothing. Well, maybe I should check out last year's COL email to make sure this isn't including it. OK, cool. COL starts on 1/1. Wait, what's this? If you receive a raise after 6/30, you are not eligible for the following year's COL increase, of which last year's was 2%. lol if my raise ends up being a grand total of just over $400 over not getting one, or even better if I end up making less than if I hadn't gotten one.

At least I have something to talk about on tomorrow's one-on-one.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Why is chrome so annoying with re-loading tabs that you already opened? Switch to a tab and it's reloading poo poo.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

Why is chrome so annoying with re-loading tabs that you already opened? Switch to a tab and it's reloading poo poo.

Memory management.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
If your computer doesn't have the max amount of ram possible... are you really giving chrome a chance?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

If we were in a 4 hour meeting together, don't come to my office right after it's over and talk about for another 45 minutes. I will kill you.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
Why is my team the only ones that actually take responsibility for poo poo and when someone contacts us about an issue we verify before saying everything works correctly?

A dependency we have has added auth, specifically Kerberos. We were the final team to start using the auth endpoint, only we use Java and everyone else is .NET. A senior developer but new in the team is put on it and he can’t get it working. I decide to involve myself and since it’s a total clown show outside of our team I first verify that the service can do Kerberos because WindowsAuthetication is going to fallback to NTLM if Kerberos fails. And of loving course they setup poo poo incorrectly and it works for everyone else because it fallsback to NTLM…

Turns out our new guy has mentioned that more than a week ago to the team responsible for the service but they just said that since it works for everyone, it must be you who are the problem. Not until I dragged them in a meeting and shoved their noses in the pile of poo poo they had created did they take responsibility.

Now it’s all: fixing this, will contact you when it’s done.

Ask me about spending a week understanding PerfView to get enough data to prove that the massive spikes in latency another teams services were having was actually their fault.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Thanatosian posted:

The FI I used to work for is finishing up a transitions to PDQ Deploy for third-party software and InTune for Microsoft stuff from LANDesk/Ivanti. Ivanti is loving trash with garbage support, highly recommend switching.

So we used to use WSUS and it worked fairly well but I still had to write a fair few scripts for things like our lovely finance database that has a half hour shutdown process you have to do by hand, and our shutty clustered web servers that use IIS, but not MS clustering. It wasn't my decision to switch to Ivanti. Both the security team and myself wanted to use SCCM (this was a few years back) but the boss decided SCCM was ~too complicated~

So we have Ivanti strung together by a bunch of custom powershell scripts and even worse it's using the Ivanti agent which is definitely an afterthought product and 8s missing basic functionality like pre/post patch scripts, or any sane way for your own script to detect when the agent is done patching. I have to poll the API, querying current patch status until Missing Patches+MissingServicePacks = 0 and hope that Ivanti haven't put out yet another poo poo definition, such as this month's one that wrongly reports needing a windows defender platform update if you've uninstalled windows defender then tries to parch non-existant software and fails.

Even worse, the boss decided that using Ivanti patch groups adds too much complexity so the only way I can get a monthly baseline is to limit definition updates to once a month, therefore whenever there's a poo poo patch that they fix a few days later, nope I can't use that because then every server I already patched will start complaining that Notepad++ v8.9.1 needs upgrading to v8.9.1.1.gofuckyourself

So yeah, 40-odd scheduled tasks calling a bunch of powershell and monthy battles against poo poo definitions that I can't even apply the fixes for... so much less complicated than SCCM.

Meanwhile the new head of security wants Intune on all the servers.

The one thing I'm greatful for is there's a completely separate team for desktops, so they're not my concern.

Lum fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Nov 16, 2021

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

zokie posted:

Why is my team the only ones that actually take responsibility for poo poo and when someone contacts us about an issue we verify before saying everything works correctly?

A dependency we have has added auth, specifically Kerberos. We were the final team to start using the auth endpoint, only we use Java and everyone else is .NET. A senior developer but new in the team is put on it and he can’t get it working. I decide to involve myself and since it’s a total clown show outside of our team I first verify that the service can do Kerberos because WindowsAuthetication is going to fallback to NTLM if Kerberos fails. And of loving course they setup poo poo incorrectly and it works for everyone else because it fallsback to NTLM…

Turns out our new guy has mentioned that more than a week ago to the team responsible for the service but they just said that since it works for everyone, it must be you who are the problem. Not until I dragged them in a meeting and shoved their noses in the pile of poo poo they had created did they take responsibility.

Now it’s all: fixing this, will contact you when it’s done.

Ask me about spending a week understanding PerfView to get enough data to prove that the massive spikes in latency another teams services were having was actually their fault.

This is how companies rot. Either good people see that there are no downsides to being utterly useless and just stop caring, or it frustrates them enough to quit. Unless you're in a position to actually improve things then all that trying to fight it will achieve is raising your blood pressure.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
Oh I get it now, when you say "I don't have time for this" what you actually mean is "I don't want to deal with this."

Right I get it. Cool.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I mean, that’s how I use the phrase

I also proactively assign myself the work I want to do

That being said, I don’t do user support anymore and if your primary role is support and you’re doing this to your ticket queue you’re an rear end in a top hat

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

First machine that comes preloaded with Windows 11 showed up today.

You now must have an internet connection and Windows account to set up the device. No way around it that I can find.

I'll probably just throw the default image on it but wanted to see what the setup experience was. More annoying than 10, anyway.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

regulargonzalez posted:

You now must have an internet connection and Windows account to set up the device. No way around it that I can find.

I'll probably just throw the default image on it but wanted to see what the setup experience was. More annoying than 10, anyway.

You do not have to have the internet or a Microsoft account to setup the device. They just make the offline , non-Microsoft account option less obvious (by design).

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

The Fool posted:

I mean, that’s how I use the phrase

I also proactively assign myself the work I want to do

That being said, I don’t do user support anymore and if your primary role is support and you’re doing this to your ticket queue you’re an rear end in a top hat

I've re-wrote this post a couple times because I'm trying not to sound like an rear end in a top hat, but brain to words isn't working that great today.

Maybe it's just me then. Generally I try not to use the phrase "I don't have time for this" instead I try to say something along the lines of "I'm a bit busy with [something else], can I get back to you later?" or some other phrase that sounds less like a cop out.

Having said that if it is something I genuinely don't want to do there is usually a reason why (ie it's a pain in the rear end, it's a bandaid solution that won't fix the problem, it's not my job, etc.) at which point I will direct the user to other more appropriate resources as much as I can (or just suck it up and do the PITA thing.)

I dunno, I don't mean to imply that there is one one way to interact with your team and everything must be done that way. It just gets a bit annoying when I'm reaching out for more information and all I get back are excuses because the answer requires more than a second of thought.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I agree with you. It's passive-aggressive nonsense. Sorry, my job isn't to repeatedly follow up with someone to see when it's convenient to do their job.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

To be fair “I don’t have time for this” usually only gets said in my head, what comes out is more like:
“We’ll add it to the backlog”
Or
“Can you message the support channel”
Or
“Here is a link to the documentation”

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
Narrator : Do you want me to deprioritize my current reports until you advise me of a status upgrade?

Richard Chesler : Yes. Make these your primary action items.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

200mb video file is not going to be emailed

Can't share on one drive because the other people aren't gcc high

This law firm doesn't have some place to send a big file? We might have to use sendfile or what we

Law firm It guy thinks we can just covert to MOV and send it

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Bob Morales posted:

This law firm doesn't have some place to send a big file? We might have to use sendfile or what we

With lossy enough compression it is possible to fit in an email. The result may be hard to watch.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Bob Morales posted:

***Terrible Idea***
Upload it to YouTube as a private/unlisted video. Add the necessary permissions to be able to share it to whomever you need to.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Bob Morales posted:

Never underestimate the bandwidth of an Intern barreling down the freeway with a USB drive and a printout of the checksum

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Put it on a DVD and mail it registered mail ?

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

regulargonzalez posted:

I can't speak to pre-loaded installs, but I installed Win11 on a couple of PC's at home and had no issues setting up local accounts during the setup process. I didn't find it any more or less difficult than I did with Win10.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

TWBalls posted:

I can't speak to pre-loaded installs, but I installed Win11 on a couple of PC's at home and had no issues setting up local accounts during the setup process. I didn't find it any more or less difficult than I did with Win10.

I don't even get the option on win10 at install time if it even vaguely thinks there's an open wlan AP nearby or anything, it needs like x minutes offline with all cables pulled and no internet until you get the option, it's not just a small hidden text link.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Biowarfare posted:

I don't even get the option on win10 at install time if it even vaguely thinks there's an open wlan AP nearby or anything, it needs like x minutes offline with all cables pulled and no internet until you get the option, it's not just a small hidden text link.

Home or pro? Home totally bones you, yeah, but pro you always have the option for domain join.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Partycat posted:

Put it on a DVD.....?

I think I have one DVD burner left in my house, maybe, and it's in a drawer somewhere (and is an internal drive). Although incredibly annoyingly, I have two or three hundred blank DVDs. Not sure wtf to do with those now.

Anyway point is, I think a lot of people don't have DVD writing ability anymore. Hell at this point you have to be specifically buying USB BD drives off Amazon to even read the things, unless you're a weirdo who tells Dell to put them in, presuming they're still available from Dell.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Partycat posted:

HAS TO BE THERE TODAY

(I left at 4)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Also it's some horrible proprietary format that requires some stupid viewer

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Based on some recent controversy surrounding viewing video on an ipad in a certain high profile case, I wouldn't touch a video file that's part of evidence with a ten foot pole. The lawyer who's in possession of it can figure that poo poo out, even if it means they end up using sneakernet to deliver it.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Bob Morales posted:

Avigilon or w/e?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

But if we didn't make you use the stupid format, you'd complain in court that we can't prove it hasn't been tampered with so we came up with this proprietary wrapper around the MP4 file that will guarantee the file hasn't been edited*

*unless the person editing it knows how to replace the checksum in the file header. In which case, we're screwed.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Rexxed posted:

With lossy enough compression it is possible to fit in an email. The result may be hard to watch.

Don't worry, the iPad will add the pixels back in I've heard.

Happy Litterbox
Jan 2, 2010
My boss is confused because one of my colleagues is permanently shown as online during his PTO. So another coworker chimes in "If you take your job even somewhat seriously, then you check your work queue during your two weeks PTO. Else everything will be on fire when you return." Sadly my boss did not confront that opinion.

My dear coworker, I'd say, let it burn down. Make fire beautiful!

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

MustardFacial posted:

I've re-wrote this post a couple times because I'm trying not to sound like an rear end in a top hat, but brain to words isn't working that great today.

Maybe it's just me then. Generally I try not to use the phrase "I don't have time for this" instead I try to say something along the lines of "I'm a bit busy with [something else], can I get back to you later?" or some other phrase that sounds less like a cop out.

Having said that if it is something I genuinely don't want to do there is usually a reason why (ie it's a pain in the rear end, it's a bandaid solution that won't fix the problem, it's not my job, etc.) at which point I will direct the user to other more appropriate resources as much as I can (or just suck it up and do the PITA thing.)

I dunno, I don't mean to imply that there is one one way to interact with your team and everything must be done that way. It just gets a bit annoying when I'm reaching out for more information and all I get back are excuses because the answer requires more than a second of thought.

I have an end user who is constantly requesting new features in one of the models I support and is constantly, CONSTANTLY saying that the lack of these features means she doesn't have enough time to do her job. This week she submitted a ticket because she'd noticed a discrepancy between two different systems that amounted to five pence in a balance that goes into eight figures every month. It is not part of her job to compare these two systems, it must have taken her a couple of hours to extract the data, do the comparison and produce the very neat spreadsheet she made, definitely costing us more in her time than the discrepency she found. I don't understand people.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I like this user already

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

xzzy posted:

Based on some recent controversy surrounding viewing video on an ipad in a certain high profile case, I wouldn't touch a video file that's part of evidence with a ten foot pole. The lawyer who's in possession of it can figure that poo poo out, even if it means they end up using sneakernet to deliver it.

KillHour posted:

But if we didn't make you use the stupid format, you'd complain in court that we can't prove it hasn't been tampered with so we came up with this proprietary wrapper around the MP4 file that will guarantee the file hasn't been edited*

*unless the person editing it knows how to replace the checksum in the file header. In which case, we're screwed.

I see these things a lot.

My solution was IT do not get involved in the retrieval of CCTV. Period. We will train colleagues and guide them through the process, but when the DVD/USB stick goes in the evidence bag, we will never sign our names on it.

Mainly because we'd end up in court all the time but for all the reasons above stay away!!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

User: It’s on the H drive :haw:

Me: :mad: What's the name of the file?

User: Located on the P drive > ALL OTHER. He needs this video player to open the file I already sent him

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

customer complaining that searching through high five figures of huge PDFs on a cifs share in another state takes too long

ok, guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Fil5000 posted:

I have an end user who is constantly requesting new features in one of the models I support and is constantly, CONSTANTLY saying that the lack of these features means she doesn't have enough time to do her job. This week she submitted a ticket because she'd noticed a discrepancy between two different systems that amounted to five pence in a balance that goes into eight figures every month. It is not part of her job to compare these two systems, it must have taken her a couple of hours to extract the data, do the comparison and produce the very neat spreadsheet she made, definitely costing us more in her time than the discrepency she found. I don't understand people.

Honestly I'd want to know about this, because poo poo like that could come up and cause problems if you get audited.

Or maybe you have a guy rounding off your interest into a bank account, Office Space-style. But, you know, competently.