Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I had no idea it was ever on Netflix, I think because there was a thing about it not being on there when it premiered and I didn't check afterward

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
It was on Netflix basically everywhere in the world except the US and Canada.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

https://twitter.com/realGulDukat/status/1460756591838384131?s=20

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Strange New Worlds Season 2 (unannounced) has been put on the production schedule for February 01 2022 - June 30 2022.
Production name is "Lily and Isaac".

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

galenanorth posted:

I had no idea it was ever on Netflix, I think because there was a thing about it not being on there when it premiered and I didn't check afterward

OUTSIDE OF THE US
I know someone's said this but man it's been mentioned in the threads so many times and it's even in those headlines

xerxus posted:

Strange New Worlds Season 2 (unannounced) has been put on the production schedule for February 01 2022 - June 30 2022.
Production name is "Lily and Isaac".

It's sorta mad to me that shows on these streaming services get recommissioned so quickly

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Looks like it will be in production about when season one is expected to be air.

So if they can keep up with the production schedules I guess they will try to just rotate them: Prodigy - Discovery - Picard - SNW - LD (with prodigy changing about a bit, with split seasons and what not.)

Maybe switching in something else for Picard when Stewart decides he's had enough.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Taear posted:

... It's sorta mad to me that shows on these streaming services get recommissioned so quickly

They have nothing else.

No one is signing up for Paramount+ to watch reruns of the Andy Griffith show or Paranormal Activity 7: somehow worse than the second one.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Paramount+: UPN Harder

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

8one6 posted:

They have nothing else.

No one is signing up for Paramount+ to watch reruns of the Andy Griffith show or Paranormal Activity 7: somehow worse than the second one.

You'd think that pay-for-TV companies would have been making loving BUCKETS of money previously the way the streaming services carry on though. Netflix has an advantage (and amazon) that they're worldwide but Paramount+/whatever the other one was called weren't and yet they still seemed to have massive amounts of money

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
I have to assume that the costs of hosting a streaming service has reached some inflection point where it's more cost-effective for every studio and network to roll their own bespoke online channel than it is to license their shows to Netflix or Hulu

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Netflix used to have everything in one place not because it was expensive to host but because most of the studios just didn't give a poo poo about online.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
This is a really lovely position they've put their actors and promoters in:

https://twitter.com/albinokid/status/1460811969053745158?s=20

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

The Chairman posted:

I have to assume that the costs of hosting a streaming service has reached some inflection point where it's more cost-effective for every studio and network to roll their own bespoke online channel than it is to license their shows to Netflix or Hulu
It's a weird situation with Disco, though: IIRC Netflix was stumping up a large part (if not all) of the production costs, so Paramount/CBS basically had a free show, as well as all the cash coming from Netflix in return for streaming rights to their back catalogue stuff (including the various Treks). Now it seems like they're hanging an entire global streaming network (with all its associated setup and running costs) on one - expensive - show, which they now have to fund themselves, and will probably be withdrawing their back catalogue from Netflix to give P+ content. How many households are willing to pay for multiple streamers, especially when P+ won't have nearly the content of Netflix or Disney+? "Paramount Plus - if you want Star Trek, Mission: Impossible and Frasier, we've got you covered!"

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
IIRC, that Netflix money only applied to the first season.

Superanos
Nov 13, 2009

It gets even dumber because in Finland we actually have Paramount+ but Discovery is not going to be on it. We have to wait for no reason at all. Their lovely service is already here but they're holding back the show, keeping it US only.

There's definitely going to be someone that will actually sign up for it and then wonder where their Trek is. At least there's a 7 day free trial so when the show doesn't appear they will cancel in disappointment and never touch Paramount's crap again. Well done keeping a customer happy.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

8one6 posted:

They have nothing else.

Paramount+ and Peacock are combining into one service called SkyShowtime in Europe, it launches in '22 sometime.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Superanos posted:

It gets even dumber because in Finland we actually have Paramount+ but Discovery is not going to be on it. We have to wait for no reason at all. Their lovely service is already here but they're holding back the show, keeping it US only.

Hah, same in Australia! What fuckers!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Australia is so hosed for content. I was so excited when Netflix came here, then they revealed we'd only have access to a fraction of their catalogue. And all the other services that sprang up afterwards which had content I wanted either pulled the same poo poo or never made an Australian version at all.

Well, okay then. If you're not going to let me give you my money, guess I'll go back to doing it the old fashioned way.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Australia is so hosed for content. I was so excited when Netflix came here, then they revealed we'd only have access to a fraction of their catalogue. And all the other services that sprang up afterwards which had content I wanted either pulled the same poo poo or never made an Australian version at all.

Well, okay then. If you're not going to let me give you my money, guess I'll go back to doing it the old fashioned way.

And like, there's stiill issues sure, but the music industry isn't doing this, as far as I can tell. Aside from really really obscure stuff (which is usually available direct from the artist or on something like bandcamp) and some Japanese things (cause their music industry is extra hosed) I've never had a problem getting poo poo off the music services. And gaming, ratings board scare for Disco Elysium aside is fine too, if overpriced, I haven't pirated a song or a game in years.

TV and streaming is utter loving nonsense and can't actually be good for the companies either. It's just incompetence and stupidity.

A Sometimes Food fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Nov 17, 2021

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Megillah Gorilla posted:

it's ridiculous, i don't even know where to watch all the star trek i wanna watch in australia

i mean apart from certain sites you can only access if you dont use australian dns servers

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Norwegian Rudo posted:

Paramount+ and Peacock are combining into one service called SkyShowtime in Europe, it launches in '22 sometime.
Ha, what? So they've realised they won't have enough content to launch as P+ in Europe and are having to partner with Universal - and after all that it'll be branded under Sky anyway?

Superanos
Nov 13, 2009

hahaha that's a terrible name

A combination of Sky, which is an unknown brand here and Showtime which was a cable tv channel from a decade ago. At least people see Paramount in front of movies.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

LOL it’s not even going to be a stand alone streaming service, it’ll be an addition to the already expensive Sky subscription.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Superanos posted:

hahaha that's a terrible name

A combination of Sky, which is an unknown brand here and Showtime which was a cable tv channel from a decade ago. At least people see Paramount in front of movies.

In the UK there were two AV/white goods companies called Curry's and PC World. They merged years ago and for ages the company was called "Curry's PC World" which was just terrible. Last week they finally renamed to just Curry's.

I wonder what kind of internal politics goes on with these mergers that end up with such awful names

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Megillah Gorilla posted:

gently caress, it's near impossible to just straight up buy stuff to watch online half the time, even discounting package streaming things like Netflix. I can understand, if hate, the whole 'split up streaming subscription content', but the fact that so many things are exclusive to different online streaming stores is loving absurd.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
2023 CBS Exec: “It appears viewership for Star Trek has declined sharply in the last 12 months, and we have no idea why. Our audiences must be tired of it.”

Exec 2: “Cancel everything except Discovery.”

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

In the UK there were two AV/white goods companies called Curry's and PC World. They merged years ago and for ages the company was called "Curry's PC World" which was just terrible. Last week they finally renamed to just Curry's.

I wonder what kind of internal politics goes on with these mergers that end up with such awful names
The Paramount/CBS merger-breakup-remerger merry-go-round is absolutely absurd corporate politics intended for the sole purpose of enriching senior executives, major shareholders and lawyers. Especially with the incredibly stupid rule for a while that CBS owned Star Trek on television while Paramount owned Star Trek in movies, and the two were effectively competitors.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Archer Theme got dropped in the new Discovery clip.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I presume at least part of this was negotiations going down to the wire, possibly with Netflix maybe angling for a window of exclusivity until the P+ launch and Paramount/CBS banking on enough people being willing to wait that it can be a selling point for the service internationally.

And of course, because there 'wasn't anything to announce' they just don't say anything, everyone assumes the existing deal is still in place and this poo poo hits the fan and basically punches themself in the nuts PR wise.

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

Thom12255 posted:

Archer Theme got dropped in the new Discovery clip.

Phrasing?

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Are we going to finally find out Future Guy is Arch--- Burnham?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I watched the clip and as an unabashed Enterprise defender, hearing that theme again made me feel things.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
Anyone have a link to this Disco clip with Archer?

Searching on the Google Tubes gives shows me a current trailer, a bunch of ST:ENT videos, and Disco stuff from 4 years ago.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Ohhh maybe disco is really a average tng episode too in the holodeck.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

tarlibone posted:

Anyone have a link to this Disco clip with Archer?

Searching on the Google Tubes gives shows me a current trailer, a bunch of ST:ENT videos, and Disco stuff from 4 years ago.

https://twitter.com/Treksphere/status/1461060629859549188?t=XVLC4Pw4o_5MYeay2ZbcnQ&s=19

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
OK, the editors're getting good at deploying those. That hit me the same way the VOY theme playing when Seven beats up the Romulan lady in Picard did.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Not gonna lie, that pressed some emotion buttons for me. :unsmith:

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Shameless pandering, but I love it and am sure looking forward to legally watching this sometime in 2022.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Mx. posted:

it's ridiculous, i don't even know where to watch all the star trek i wanna watch in australia

i mean apart from certain sites you can only access if you dont use australian dns servers

It's simple!

If you want to watch TOS, TNG, VOY, DS9, ENT then use Netflix.

If you want to watch the TOS/TNG movies then use Stan.

If you want to watch Picard or Lower Decks then use Prime Video.

If you want to watch StarTrek2009, Into Darkness, or Prodigy then use Paramount+.

If you want to watch Discovery (any seasons, not just the new one) it's currently not available anywhere.