Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Berryman's B12 Carb Cleaner would be my choice in that case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

rndmnmbr posted:

In the followup video, pretty much all of rest of the transmission, saving the exploded input shaft and pump stator that got chewed up removing the torque converter, was still solid and reusable. Rich really knows his poo poo with transmissions.

One of his videos showed up in my YouTube feed randomly, and I've been hooked ever since. Guys, lemme tell ya I get real excited when Richard comes back atcha with another transmission in the house that he's going to physically tear down.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

Deteriorata posted:

Watch Wes Work encounters a Horrible Electrial Failure:
I know I'm overly cautious, but I cringed every time he snuck his hands under the cab rail, then every time he climbed into the raised cab to try cranking the engine (with the guillotine of damocles hanging over his freshly repaired harness).

The only thing holding it up was a pair of 1mm^2 contact patches that he "[didn't] know the rating of"!

Great video though, thanks for posting it.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

CommieGIR posted:

Odd that Mercedes is dealing with this usually they have the better processes for this stuff.

Brought to you by the same engineers and management that brought you the previous edition, "no we have no idea why the heads keep falling off our head bolts, the design meets specifications and the parts ARE NOT BAD but we have a newer design that is better and we'll comp you a new $50k engine but only if you're the original owner and no this is not subject to a recall"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ryanrs posted:

AI tip: buy striped automotive wire here. Pretty sure it's just one guy with a garage full of wire. Seems to be a competently run operation.

I don’t trust anyone who sells out of their home and doesn’t have their product plucked from the crawlspace under their house by a robot.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

It's not robotic, but 4RCustomsWire.com does sell their home-brew wire dispensing system.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

CommieGIR posted:

Well you don't want to leave it there, yes, but once you rinse it off it'll stop reacting. Ideally use something else if you can avoid anything with Lye in it.

Yeah I personally haven't experienced this failure yet in any of our CRDs or TDIs even after injector re-seals. Odd that Mercedes is dealing with this usually they have the better processes for this stuff.

Now I'm remembering somebody's story I heard about a mechanic who was tasked with restoring a numbers-matching 60s aluminum Ferrari engine worth hundreds of thousands, and he hot-tanked it

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Data Graham posted:

Now I'm remembering somebody's story I heard about a mechanic who was tasked with restoring a numbers-matching 60s aluminum Ferrari engine worth hundreds of thousands, and he hot-tanked it

:catstare:

During my HS work-study at a speed shop - I was rebuilding an 8-RC engine for my '71 Corona - I forgot to remove the bottom bearing shells from the camshaft cradles on the head & it was hot-tanked that way; they yelled at me because that apparently makes the hot-tank juice un-useable.

I didn't feel so bad because the same week, an employee dropped a matching-numbers Pontiac straight-8 block from about 4-feet onto the shop floor & cracked it or broke off one of the various protuberances on the thing.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Platystemon posted:

I don’t trust anyone who sells out of their home and doesn’t have their product plucked from the crawlspace under their house by a robot.

For those who don't know the reference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-k3mVnRlQLU

It's automotive related because it uses a Pontiac window regulator.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Holy shmoly, that's amazing. That guy seems like a lot of fun.

Also I wonder how many of those bottles he's sold.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Krakkles posted:

A bunch. I own one of the drinking glasses from 20 years ago. He's also the guy who wrote The Cuckoo's Egg!

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Krakkles posted:

I bought one a few years back when it was last posted. His story is just too good not to support.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Platystemon posted:

Ah, another Cliff Stoll fan.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

His website (https://www.kleinbottle.com) is hilarious. Big Catch-22 and Hitchhiker's Guide energy.

I'm going to have to get one.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

Krakkles posted:

His website (https://www.kleinbottle.com) is hilarious. Big Catch-22 and Hitchhiker's Guide energy.

I'm going to have to get one.

Amazing, now I know what to get my dad for Christmas!

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
I would def smoke a joint with the guy that found, trapped, and caught a KGB-recruited west German hacker in 1986, and was tutored/mentored in electronic music by Robert loving MOOG, and now sells klein bottles pulled out of his crawlspace by a tiny remote controlled forklift.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

spookykid posted:

I would def smoke a joint with the guy that found, trapped, and caught a KGB-recruited west German hacker in 1986, and was tutored/mentored in electronic music by Robert loving MOOG, and now sells klein bottles pulled out of his crawlspace by a tiny remote controlled forklift.

I've met a few topologist. They're an odd bunch, but Cliff is way way out there in the best possible way.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Related, people like to say that humans are topologically identical to donuts and coffee mugs, but they're incorrect, we are identical to brass knuckles.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
I just ordered one and he sent me a personal email including 13 pictures of him weighing it, showing it off in the garden, and packing it on his work bench. A+ would buy weird bottle from weird excellent dude again.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

User Error posted:

I just ordered one and he sent me a personal email including 13 pictures of him weighing it, showing it off in the garden, and packing it on his work bench. A+ would buy weird bottle from weird excellent dude again.

Make sure you look at all the paper he includes in the box with the bottle.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

ye olde failure

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
In that time people subsisted for years on that one funny photo. These days I need at least 5 a week to maintain my amusement.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Wheels fall off Chitty Chitty Bang Bang remake.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

User Error posted:

What an excellent human

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

User Error posted:

poo poo, now I gotta order something from him. This is awesome.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
The 3d printer community strikes again.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Uh, he did whatnow?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

the spyder posted:

The 3d printer community strikes again.

130% infill

She’ll be right.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
that's quite an expression...quite a racist expression.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
How so?

e: Oh. Yeah. In the original post.

If “she’ll be right” has problematic connotations, I haven’t heard of it.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

LifeSunDeath posted:

that's quite an expression...quite a racist expression.

I've never heard that expression before, I'm not sure I want to google it...

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
I sacrificed my google history, and it came from gently caress that I'll just print it

FTIJPI (FisTed a JyPsI)

Anyways ya still racist

blindjoe fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Nov 24, 2021

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

The Romani insult is the one they're talking about, and gently caress that guy for using it.

I hope he's the one who catches the D ring, not anyone else.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Not only is he a racist, he's also a cheapskate. 38 dollars on amazon.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Friend of mine was telling me about doing inspections on contractors' vehicles going onto mine sites, they would often be hauling a trailer with whatever on it (tools, supplies, a backhoe etc). He said that probably two out of five had a shackle on their safety chain that wasn't rated. Often they would just be those tiny little d-shackles you get from fishing supply stores, but one time he got into an argument with a guy who was insisting his shackle was rated. Which it was. It was a screw-gate climbing carabiner rated to 250kg

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

kastein posted:

The Romani insult is the one they're talking about, and gently caress that guy for using it.

I hope he's the one who catches the D ring, not anyone else.

Yea I didn't know that was a slur until like earlier this year so I can't recall last time I used it and hope I didn't make anyone feel bad.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

shy boy from chess club posted:

Yea I didn't know that was a slur until like earlier this year so I can't recall last time I used it and hope I didn't make anyone feel bad.

Yeah at 16 years old, I used a slur in casual convo discussing a safety switch on an outboard motor held open with device cobbled from some cardboard, some tape, and a penny. I repeated what I'd heard another dockhand say regarding the switch, but while talking to my boss. Who it could apply to.

His eyes went wide, and I stammered trying to bury what I'd just said with more words, but it was too late.

We never discussed it after, and I worked for him another two summers, but I for drat sure Xed it from my language bank from that day forward.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Memento posted:

Friend of mine was telling me about doing inspections on contractors' vehicles going onto mine sites, they would often be hauling a trailer with whatever on it (tools, supplies, a backhoe etc). He said that probably two out of five had a shackle on their safety chain that wasn't rated. Often they would just be those tiny little d-shackles you get from fishing supply stores, but one time he got into an argument with a guy who was insisting his shackle was rated. Which it was. It was a screw-gate climbing carabiner rated to 250kg

What kind of arse-backwards place rates carabiners in kilograms?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Platystemon posted:

What kind of arse-backwards place rates carabiners in kilograms?

I dunno, that's what my friend said, I have no idea about climbing stuff, I assume he was just repeating what he was told by the guy trying to pass it off as a rated shackle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

blindjoe posted:

I sacrificed my google history, and it came from gently caress that I'll just print it

FTIJPI (FisTed a JyPsI)

That's... loving horrible?

Memento posted:

screw-gate 'biners are usually rated around 24-25kN. So 2,5 metric tons. That's still nowhere near good enough for recovery. Even wiregate models are usually rater >20kN

NoWake posted:

We never discussed it after, and I worked for him another two summers, but I for drat sure Xed it from my language bank from that day forward.
It literally costs nothing to take someone aside and admit your mistake, and they'll think more of you for it.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Nov 24, 2021