Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrChud
Jun 18, 2004

Waltzing Along posted:

Is anyone excited about spending $170 for the Xmas giveaway or $15 of points for the camera?

$170 seems a bit high for that GWP, imo. The camera price seems fine if it has free shipping. I'm guessing you'll see them for $50 on ebay in a few weeks.

There is a second Christmas GWP coming also isn’t there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

DrChud posted:

There is a second Christmas GWP coming also isn’t there?

Most years there is one, but none have been announced at this point. Last year was funny because the web store was basically empty so no one could get it.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

deoju posted:

Incoming effort post. I like Ghostbusters a lot. It's my favorite movie. I like legos too. I made all these over the past few years and figure now is the best time to share them.

https://imgur.com/a/IEff8cw

I love the particle streams and the 666 ghost hazmat placard the most. Well done.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

bird with big dick posted:

I love the particle streams and the 666 ghost hazmat placard the most. Well done.

Yeah the placard is amazing
:nfpa:

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Hoth AT-ST and battlepack

Chris Pistols
Oct 20, 2008

Piss Crystals
I got a couple of the Art mosaic sets for cheap (31201 & 31202) with the intention of making a mosaic of my own. Anyone had any good experience with online mosaic makers like https://mingze-gao.com/legao/?

It's only as I'm typing this post I'm realising the Harry Potter one (https://brickset.com/sets/31201-1/Harry-Potter-Hogwarts-Crests) has regular studs instead of smooth ones! Why? This scuppers my plans! Might see if I can still get a refund...

Edit: Hoth sets look good. Walker looks a bit lanky to me, but I'll still end up buying it!

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Nth Doctor posted:

Yeah the placard is amazing
:nfpa:

Ghostbusting is OSHA as gently caress.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
I really love my basement mantle with the battle of Hoth recreated in 80's Kenner figures, but they're making it real hard not to pack it all up and recreate it in Lego. Hell I want to buy that AT-ST just for snowy Chewbacca to put with the holiday stuff.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's not snow, goof was eating a bag of powdered donuts while Han was driving.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Butterfly Valley posted:

They’re never going to make an AT-ST with any articulation besides the hips, are they? :sigh:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That is the best AT-ST they have done by a pretty wide margin. They legs actually look properly thin, and they angled the front to look more properly like the hoth one.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Butterfly Valley posted:

Those are some narrow feet on that ATST

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think they are the same width they have always been. They are just longer cause they added the toe

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
If you want all 40 troops onboard the AT-AT to be snowtroopers, it would take 12 of those packs (assuming $10 ea) = $120 plus the $800 AT-AT.

If you're okay with 4 of the onboard troops being scouts to pilot the speeder bikes, then you only need 11!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Carbohydrates posted:

If you want all 40 troops onboard the AT-AT to be snowtroopers, it would take 12 of those packs (assuming $10 ea) = $120 plus the $800 AT-AT.

If you're okay with 4 of the onboard troops being scouts to pilot the speeder bikes, then you only need 11!

Battle packs packs are currently $15

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Lego has done the snowtroopers dirty as of late. They used to come with little buildable backpacks with a unique print, and cloth waist part for the coat. The newer ones look lame by comparison.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The walgreens near me tends to stock those battlepack type sets and they sit on the shelf for eons. Just saying, if you decide to go down the road and have trouble finding it, might be worth a look. :angel:

(that's how I got five copies of the lego movie 2 classic space figures, they sat there long past the retirement of the set so I bought one every month until they stopped showing up)

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

veni veni veni posted:

Lego has done the snowtroopers dirty as of late. They used to come with little buildable backpacks with a unique print, and cloth waist part for the coat. The newer ones look lame by comparison.

Apparently they stopped doing the backpacks due to vehicle interaction issues, dunno about the kama

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

Wait wait. Does the AT-ST fit inside the AT-AT? This is what I need to know.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Star Wars: Ships covered in guns unload dropships covered in guns unload walkers covered in guns unload walkers covered in guns unload speeders covered in guns carrying dudes holding guns

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Brawnfire posted:

Star Wars: Ships covered in guns unload dropships covered in guns unload walkers covered in guns unload walkers covered in guns unload speeders covered in guns carrying dudes holding guns

Well it ain't Star Peace

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Lizard Combatant posted:

Well it ain't Star Peace

Could be Star Piece tho tbh

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Brawnfire posted:

They are securing the peace.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Brawnfire posted:

Star Wars, the ultimate little dick energy.

New Wave Jose
Aug 20, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

That is the best AT-ST they have done by a pretty wide margin. They legs actually look properly thin, and they angled the front to look more properly like the hoth one.

It looks smaller than the Mandalorian one

Chris Pistols
Oct 20, 2008

Piss Crystals

Brawnfire posted:

Always should be someone you really loooooove

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I understood that reference.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

New Wave Jose posted:

It looks smaller than the Mandalorian one

It looks like the same legs but a smaller head. I don't know if that's more accurate but it looks off to me.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

sigher posted:

It looks like the same legs but a smaller head. I don't know if that's more accurate but it looks off to me.

By design

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
New Marvel character mechs for 2022. Another Iron Man, plus Black Panther and Wolverine. Could have done without a second Iron Man, but at least it's not a fourth Spider-Man. The Wolverine one is wonderful though.

New Wave Jose
Aug 20, 2008

Skios posted:

New Marvel character mechs for 2022. Another Iron Man, plus Black Panther and Wolverine. Could have done without a second Iron Man, but at least it's not a fourth Spider-Man. The Wolverine one is wonderful though.

I love the Marvel’s mech series. I’m probably going to get those as well. The hands are gettings better.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

This is half question, half discussion point: can anyone pinpoint the time, or set, where Lego started tossing out some of the more wild building techniques? I’ve been building the Corner Garage modular today, and was pleasantly surprised by how unorthodox some of the techniques were, with both of the two upper layers of windows built sideways and then finally ‘locked in’ in the final stages, or with entire walls being built off-grid. I’ve been building off and on for decades at this point, but I can’t quite pinpoint when the more fancy-pants stuff first started arriving compared to the traditional stuff. Was it when builder MOCs started getting more complex too? I remember the UCS Star Destroyer came out when builders were going hog wild, but even that had a mostly conventional build. Curious what you folks think.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
IMO there started to be a shift from very blocky classic stuff to more curved/interesting shapes starting like 2004 or so, and then between like 2007-2012 things moved pretty rapidly from better-shapes-but-fragile-as-heck to builds that started to become both more interesting technique-wise and also much more solidly put together.

I know I can look at e.g. remakes of Star Wars ships and one from 2007 vs 2012 are going to feel utterly different.

Things are better now too than in ~2012 but I feel like it’s been more incremental since then.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

In the last 8 years or so they've really ratcheted up the new bricks too, it feels like a bunch of new molds come out every year (and I'd like to say a majority of them is 1x1 stuff used for detailing but I know that's wrong).

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah the Hoth AT-ST is a slightly different design than the ones seen in ROTJ/Rouge 1/Mandalorian. It's a bit slimmer with a smaller, more angled head.

I totally assumed they would just take the build they used for R1 and Mando, close the viewing ports and call it a day, then include a couple of hoth minifigs.

The fact that it's a redesign made to look more like the hoth appearance makes me pretty excited for it. And that's also the best minfig scale probe droid they have done. I actually prefer the hoth look to ROTJ, so I am stoked on that set.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Nov 18, 2021

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

xzzy posted:

In the last 8 years or so they've really ratcheted up the new bricks too, it feels like a bunch of new molds come out every year (and I'd like to say a majority of them is 1x1 stuff used for detailing but I know that's wrong).

It feels like the new molds that come out are to address specific issues in building sets and are intended to be as multipurpose as possible - I'm thinking about the 1x3 2 stud jumper plates and and the utensil candle piece that have shown up everywhere since debuting in the last few years. Definitely a better way to proceed than "make a giant, single-purpose brick for one set".

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah the Hoth AT-ST is a slightly different design than the ones seen in ROTJ/Rouge 1/Mandalorian. It's a bit slimmer with a smaller, more angled head.

I totally assumed they would just take the build they used for R1 and Mando, close the viewing ports and call it a day, then include a couple of hoth minifigs.

The fact that it's a redesign made to look more like the hoth appearance makes me pretty excited for it. And that's also the best minfig scale probe droid they have done. I actually prefer the hoth look to ROTJ, so I am stoked on that set.

"Fence-cutting blades"
Just loling at the idea of the chicken walker going around kicking barbed wire.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

"Fence-cutting blades"
Just loling at the idea of the chicken walker going around kicking barbed wire.

I imagine the idea is when the foot comes down - like it kind of looks like the cutting edge is on the underside of the curve.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The troops on foot would appreciate the fences being made irrelevant. :colbert:

But I have questions about the defending force that strung up fences as a defensive option in a universe with spaceships and laser swords.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

xzzy posted:

But I have questions about the defending force that strung up fences as a defensive option in a universe with spaceships and laser swords.

You gotta remember: Star Wars is a WWII flick, that just happens to take place somewhat in space and there are wizards