Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Combat in Battlechasers 2 Ruined King is a beautiful baby made from FFX and Grandia.

Yes

Yes

Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Barudak posted:

Combat in Battlechasers 2 Ruined King is a beautiful baby made from FFX and Grandia.

Yes

Yes

Yes

It's highly enjoyable on its gameplay merits alone. The writing's nothing special - it's competent, generic fantasy stop-the-bad-guy stuff - but if you like playing RPGs primarily for their combat systems, then Ruined King is a solid recommend.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Pretty good sound track too, pleasantly surprised.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Starsnostars posted:

My understanding is that the The Caligula Effect is not very good but it's currently on sale so I'm tempted by it, is it worth trying at all or should it be skipped?

the character writing is pretty good and makes up the bulk of the game, but it takes a while for it to get going in that regard and it sets a pretty bad first impression with a lot of things, and there are some ways that the plot still doesn't quite come together at the end just because while the character writing is good and touches on some very real and personal stuff in ways that are pretty unique for a jrpg, some of the bigger plot stuff doesn't really, make that much sense in its overall metaphor (i honestly feel like it really loses the bead on how the vocaloid stuff ties into everything by the end lol). the gameplay isn't good, it's not a long game and it's a very easy one but combat is something you actively want to try to avoid because most fights in the game are extremely easy and generics are basically the exact same attack pattern every single time because it dearly lacks enemy variety and the dungeons are basically just lots of long empty corridors

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.
The animations in Ryza 1 and 2 just seem brief to me - like, I'm yeeting my 999 quality super bomb at people, I was expecting a little more anime. Maybe toggle to fast animations when people are in auto-battle mode.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Finally stopped screwing around and fought the first boss in SMTV. Took me two tries, but it felt good learning his weaknesses and fusing up some demons to turbo-murder him. I'm loving this game.

What Miracles should I be focusing on? So far I've just been increasing my demon capacity and skill slots...are the specific power increases worth the cost?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i love that, despite the static images on them, the cards in voice of cards still have attack animations, so now that I'm at the end of the game and everyone has their big flashy super moves it just means you're watching a card whirl around enemies other cards in a storm of death and arrows

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Gotten my third party member in Ys 7 and I find the game pretty frustration up to this point. Stuff like having to sacrifice about 75% of the damage you do just to be able to use skills since the normal attacks give almost no SP and the Charge attack just deals almost normal damage at a quarter the speed or having to beat on corpses to get all the materials out of them or using the wrong element just doing 1 damage stacks up after a while. Especially after playing the later games where those issues are fixed.

Also does anyone actually like the annoying kid type characters like Elk? Someone must do since they keep popping up, like having the first encounter be them stealing your stuff and refusing to acknowledge that you helped them doesn't help endear me to them, especially since they don't even bring anything to the party, instead doubling up on Adol's base element.

The game is still interesting enough that I'll probably finish it, but I'm not going to just burn though it like the others.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

The Colonel posted:

the character writing is pretty good and makes up the bulk of the game, but it takes a while for it to get going in that regard and it sets a pretty bad first impression with a lot of things, and there are some ways that the plot still doesn't quite come together at the end just because while the character writing is good and touches on some very real and personal stuff in ways that are pretty unique for a jrpg, some of the bigger plot stuff doesn't really, make that much sense in its overall metaphor (i honestly feel like it really loses the bead on how the vocaloid stuff ties into everything by the end lol). the gameplay isn't good, it's not a long game and it's a very easy one but combat is something you actively want to try to avoid because most fights in the game are extremely easy and generics are basically the exact same attack pattern every single time because it dearly lacks enemy variety and the dungeons are basically just lots of long empty corridors
I'll attempt to justify the Vocaloid theme. It's playing on the dual meaning of an "idol" being both a pop singer and an image of a god. Both inspire devotion, and in turn have a vast amount of emotional energy directed at them by their followers. So Mu, as a virtual idol, is both a synthetic singer and an artificial deity. She can take on a level of faith that would crush a human idol, and she also created a world and tries to offer people salvation, etc., etc.. Hence the Christian imagery in some of the later songs (Angel's Song and Sin).

That's the idea, at least. I don't remember how explicitly this is spelled out in the first game, so I apologise if I'm stating the obvious. (They do pick this thread back up in 2. The main theme song is all about it.)

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
There's some Buddhist themes in there, too. Mobius is a place where you're reborn over and over again, where it's difficult to perceive the true nature of reality, and people are trapped there by their desires, and so on.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Acerbatus posted:

Miles Morales is more spider man

Tewey 2 is twewy except not much happens during the story

kirbysuperstar posted:

They're uh..completely different and hard to compare other than "are video games on the playstation four"

They're both good so I guess it's..down to what sorta story you want?

Yeah I know they're completely different genres and everything but at least if I asked here I thought there'd be a better chance that someone had played both and could offer an opinion on them than in the PS4 thread since I doubt the ratio of people that played TWEWY on the DS or Switch and also Spider-Man is that high.

Like if one had something really standout to it like character banter or the story being excellent then people could at least mention that. If I was asking between Tales of Berseria or The Evil Within, that'd probably be an easy choice.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

RareAcumen posted:

Like if one had something really standout to it like character banter or the story being excellent then people could at least mention that. If I was asking between Tales of Berseria or The Evil Within, that'd probably be an easy choice.

NEO:TWEWY has really good presentation and music. They polished the heck out of it.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Devorum posted:

Finally stopped screwing around and fought the first boss in SMTV. Took me two tries, but it felt good learning his weaknesses and fusing up some demons to turbo-murder him. I'm loving this game.

What Miracles should I be focusing on? So far I've just been increasing my demon capacity and skill slots...are the specific power increases worth the cost?

The specific elemental proficiencies are more about reducing MP costs than increasing power so while they're good to get eventually I feel like early on you get way more mileage out of the other upgrades.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
yeah it's handy for boss fights where running out of MP and having to blow turns on using chakra drops is a concern but generally recovering isn't a huge concern, though maybe if there's more dungeon-y areas later it could be

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Quackles posted:

NEO:TWEWY has really good presentation and music. They polished the heck out of it.

Y'know, between my memory being even worse recently and having so much trouble picturing things in my head that I think I might have Aphantasia, I just realized that I can't remember any music in the first Marvel's Spider-man game aside from swinging and the intro where Peter leaves his apartment.

That settles it, I'll take the deal on TWEWY now and wait for a sale on Miles Morales. It's gonna take me 5 years to get a PS4 anyway so it's not like I'm gonna play the new one when it comes out.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Playing through DQ11 for the first time, should I clear out all the mobs from the fields and grind while playing or just critical path it

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Fixins posted:

Playing through DQ11 for the first time, should I clear out all the mobs from the fields and grind while playing or just critical path it

Unless you're on a higher difficulty, there's no point in grinding.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Sweet thanks

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
Thank you for all the thoughts about The Caligula Effect, in the end I decided against it for now and instead bought Blue Reflection 2 as it being posted about reminded me that I had liked the first game.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
finished atelier shallie. glad there was a wilbell ending. wonder if they'll make a dusk 4 like they've been doing for every other ps3 trilogy

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

The Colonel posted:

finished atelier shallie. glad there was a wilbell ending. wonder if they'll make a dusk 4 like they've been doing for every other ps3 trilogy

Eschatology2: Logy's Blacksmith Journey.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Escha2logy.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Playing through Blue Reflection 2 again because I can't think of anything else I want to play and might as well see if there are any extra scenes like the clear screen hinted at and get the platinum. Goes a lot quicker when you skip all the cutscenes and have all the fragments from the start lol.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

do not grind in dqxi unless you're playing with stronger monsters on. the game is already boringly easy on the base difficulty.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

baram. posted:

do not grind in dqxi unless you're playing with stronger monsters on. the game is already boringly easy on the base difficulty.

Do not grind in any non mmorpg RPG made after like 1994.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

If you know what you're doing you can get to lvl 99 in an hour or so anyway in DQ11

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

If you know what you're doing you can get to lvl 99 in an hour or so anyway in DQ11

An hour into the game or an hour of playtime later in the game?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

An hour of play time as soon as you have the pep powers that make metal slimes appear and increase your exp.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
That sounds fun but at the same time not sure how I'd feel playing a 100 hour game being overpowered the whole way

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I really, truly believe there is a large number of people that don't know rpgs have gameplay and think the whole of the game is "if my number is higher than his number I win" and view every challenge in the game as just needing to grind until a battle can be beaten by basic attacks.

Any game that has buffs or debuffs or status effects or staggers or any sort of combo system or synergies or whatever is just treated as an optional thing and if any boss kills them they just walk in a circle fighting enemies until they are leveled up enough to kill the boss with the attack command.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Fantasian laughs in the face of "no modern RPG requires grinding"

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Just have a system where you level-up quickly, but immediately plateau when fighting weaker dudes.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I really, truly believe there is a large number of people that don't know rpgs have gameplay and think the whole of the game is "if my number is higher than his number I win" and view every challenge in the game as just needing to grind until a battle can be beaten by basic attacks.

Any game that has buffs or debuffs or status effects or staggers or any sort of combo system or synergies or whatever is just treated as an optional thing and if any boss kills them they just walk in a circle fighting enemies until they are leveled up enough to kill the boss with the attack command.
people have it in their heads that jrpgs are grinding games so when a game offers any sort of challenge their thought process is 'ugh i have to go grind now' instead of 'maybe i should see what element this guy is weak to' or 'maybe i should change my party' or whatever

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

people have it in their heads that jrpgs are grinding games so when a game offers any sort of challenge their thought process is 'ugh i have to go grind now' instead of 'maybe i should see what element this guy is weak to' or 'maybe i should change my party' or whatever

Also "Status Effects are always worthless" despite games having been moving away from that on a regular basis. So many people are shocked in SMTV when you can use Sleep or Poison on bosses!

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Just have a system where you level-up quickly, but immediately plateau when fighting weaker dudes.

there's a setting to reduce exp from weaker monsters

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Fantasian is rudey rude rude ruderson regarding all these points.

Ruined King combat is real good but has the most inexplicable equipment screen I've ever seen. In the equipment screen if you want to see the stats new gear you picked up have, say to compare against what you're wearing, you have to click the "change gear" button and then hover over the other pieces. Except you can't back out of this screen if you don't want the new gear. You are now 100% committed to switching gear, so if you want your old gear back because its better, do the process again.

I have been managing team equipment through the inventory screen entirely due to this

Barudak fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Nov 18, 2021

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Barudak posted:

Fantasian is rudey rude rude ruderson regarding all these points.

Ruined King combat is real good but has the most inexplicable equipment screen I've ever seen. In the equipment screen if you want to see the stats new gear you picked up have, say to compare against what you're wearing, you have to click the "change gear" button and then hover over the other pieces. Except you can't back out of this screen if you don't want the new gear. You are now 100% committed to switching gear, so if you want your old gear back because its better, do the process again.

I have been managing team equipment through the inventory screen entirely due to this

The game has some weird buggy interactions like that like tooltips staying when swapping and being stuck not being able to loot or not being able to progress NPC chatter, and then suddenly it acts as if you talked to them 5 times. That's all hopefully bug fixed eventually. For the equipment thing, you can back out twice but that backs you out completely, the easier method is to just swap to another party member and back, that resets the selection

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Endorph posted:

It always seems so crazy to me, because people talk like it's only been recent that games changed. But like, the most mainline RPG is final fantasy and literally only final fantasy 1 on the NES really had the concept of grinding as central to the game, by FF2 on the snes, literally 30 years ago, the series had pretty much fully transitioned to the idea each boss had a specific strategy to fight you were supposed to puzzle out and very very few 'level check' bosses.

It feels so hard to think of any mainstream game in decades that is based around just leveling to beat things (except maybe superbosses), but constantly in any rpg discussion you always are reading people that seem to just not know the games actually have gameplay. Like you will read about people playing all the way through FF13 never understanding the stagger system is important and just talking about having 15 minute battles with random encounters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
the secret is people don't actually play video games, they're all watching succession while playing tetris on their phones