Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Scam Likely posted:

There are some great deals on used 675R's around here, under 10k. So that seems like a less powerful, less expensive, more responsible upgrade when compared to a $17k+ Italian litre bike.

lol username post combo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OmniumOccidental
Feb 27, 2021

Gorson posted:

My problem isn't so much the functionality of it because I also think it will run just fine forever, it's a huge hit to the value of the bike on resale. Hard to sell a collector bike when it has that kind of damage. I see cracks in these two spots at least:

Is this the relevant replacement?

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/124875361096?hash=item1d1326cb48:g:bSIAAOSwg-Nfc8hq

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Scam Likely posted:

There are some great deals on used 675R's around here, under 10k. So that seems like a less powerful, less expensive, more responsible upgrade when compared to a $17k+ Italian litre bike.

You seem confused. You want a pointlessly fast and powerful sportbike you don't know what to do with, but you don't want it to be TOO pointlessly powerful...? Examine within yourself why you're even considering this, if the answer includes 'just something nice to take for a spin once in a while' get a Harley.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Get the base hypermotard instead.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Scam Likely posted:

Is a brand new 2021 Panigale V2 worth it if you can afford to buy it outright and keep up with service intervals/insurance? The frugal side calls out for a Daytona 675, but the coffee shop touring heart wants what it wants.

e: Spent the past 12 years riding an SV650S and VStrom 650.

I'm in a similar boat, but I'm looking at buying an Aprilia RS660 once a new model year comes out or there is some evidence the engine failures has been resolved.

Although on the other had I keep getting tempted to buy new gadgets for the SV, like rearsets, a radial BMC, and drop in cartridges...

Anecdotally, a neighbor has a 675 Daytona that spun a bearing or did something nasty like that. I am not sure of his model years though, but I think he said it only had 6-8,000 miles. I've also heard that the riding position is pretty uncomfortable off track.

Edit:

Russian Bear posted:

Get the base hypermotard instead.

Used Hypermotard SPs, at least a few years ago we're getting pretty affordable. Though, if I were getting a bike to replace my SV650 I want the 6(?) Axis IMU and TCS, etc and I think you basically have to get a 2020+ MY for that.

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Aug 30, 2021

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

MetaJew posted:

Used Hypermotard SPs, at least a few years ago we're getting pretty affordable. Though, if I were getting a bike to replace my SV650 I want the 6(?) Axis IMU and TCS, etc and I think you basically have to get a 2020+ MY for that.

You get everything you need on the base minus the quickshifter ($300 option), unless you can't live without the Ohlins suspension.

quote:

Riding Modes, ABS Bosch Cornering EVO, Ducati Traction Control (DTC) EVO, Ducati Wheelie Control (DWC) EVO, Power Modes, Day Time Running Light (DRL)

These newest generation looks to be started in 2019 but probably as a 2020 model year so yeah you're right. But around $14k, not not a bad premium option.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

It's not like you're married to the bike forever, you can always try out a D675 and sell it if you don't like it. When I got my Daytona it was already 9 years old, but nothing I saw on the Daytona forums made me think I had a ticking time bomb in terms of the engine. I think it's a good value if you're looking for a sport bike, but the bigger question is probably do you really want a sport bike. I routinely did LA to San Diego and back in the same day on the Daytona, but I sure as hell didn't arrive home feeling refreshed. If you're looking at the newer models (once the Rs came out) the clipons are already raised up a bit compared to the early Daytonas, which will help with the comfort.

For track days it's an amazing bike, but having totaled a Daytona this year I'm looking for something more comfortable for the rest of the time, where I do 95% of my riding, with the hypermotard at the top of my list. For the newer models I'd have to get the SP because the white helps a lot, but realistically I'll probably vinyl wrap it anyway as I'm not a fan of Ducati red.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Don't buy a Ducati unless you like watching your money evaporate. I bought used, for what was a good deal at the time, and I'm still gonna eat poo poo on depreciation even with COVID bike inflation factored in

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

Im curious about this too.

a super motard sp is at the top of my bike list.

Previously rode an sv650 then an drz400. have a daytona 675 as a dedicated race/track bike.

Im also 6’4” and kinda figure its super
motos or bust. Im probably never riding a sport bike on public roads again at this point.

Granted I never see the ducati motards
on the road so maybe they are all broken inside their owners garage. idk. I want one though

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Looks like it, but I see some damage on the surfaces of those.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

yummycheese posted:

Im curious about this too.

a super motard sp is at the top of my bike list.

Previously rode an sv650 then an drz400. have a daytona 675 as a dedicated race/track bike.

Im also 6’4” and kinda figure its super
motos or bust. Im probably never riding a sport bike on public roads again at this point.

Granted I never see the ducati motards
on the road so maybe they are all broken inside their owners garage. idk. I want one though

I think it's that they don't sell that many compared to the multistrada and some of the sporty bikes.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

$4500

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

They will get that fairly easily, grom market is stupid AF right now

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Isn't the Grom market just stupid in general?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Toe Rag posted:

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Toe Rag posted:

Absolutely. You can buy a used liter bike for what those dudes charge for tricked out 125cc scooters

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

4 speed!

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I've only come across one group of Groms in real life and it looked like they were 5 mins away from recreating that video where a large number of them crash into each other doing stupid things

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

MomJeans420 posted:

I've only come across one group of Groms in real life and it looked like they were 5 mins away from recreating that video where a large number of them crash into each other doing stupid things

You mean the one where a bunch of grown men decide their feet are more effective brakes than the brakes causing them all to pile up at 30kmh like drunk preschoolers?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Slavvy posted:

You mean the one where a bunch of grown men decide their feet are more effective brakes than the brakes causing them all to pile up at 30kmh like drunk preschoolers?

At a stop sign on a residential street.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

It's the opposite of poetry in motion but I can't find it now for some reason, I thought it would be one of the first results on youtube. There are plenty of other crashes though, do any Groms make it to 3 years old?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

MomJeans420 posted:

This one?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Gx9os9M-tw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=radUrIJBibw

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

No, but I watched several Grom crash videos and you could do an entire Grom edition of No Prisoners every year. Cripes what a lovely community of riders.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

A group of groms is called an embarrassment

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I have organized groups of riders before, and it's hard work. Those videos are the exact reason why riding as a group is not a thing you want to do with strangers. Ever

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Yeah the second one is what is I was thinking of, it's amazing. But goddamn at 0:19 in the first one, it's like not one single rider was aware of what brakes are nor how to use them.

I need to remember to search for "crawl crash 2017" and not grom crash.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
"I'm trying to find the video where grown men on groms crash during a group ride" is just every grom group ride. Pick one.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

A group of groms is called an embarrassment

I mean... you're the mod. You have the power to rename every thread and the forum to this.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Imagine how terrifying it would be to be a rider like that. You've got no idea how to brake strongly, no idea how to turn sharply. Your reactions are so slow that you know you're certain to hit any car that cuts you off. You get on the bike and it's like strapping yourself to a torpedo, hurtling forwards with tremendous inertia and barely any control over direction or speed, committing your life to chance. And on top of that you're just wearing a hoodie and skate shoes.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I looked through our old discussions about Grom crashes over the last few years and came across this gem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6xZY9dZy6w&t=377s

It's timestamped to the crash, but every second of the video leading up to that point pretty much tells you what's coming.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

They're like those fainting goats

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Looked like the guy on the right probably locked up in the sandy turn and fell over, but strange for the Grom to lowside going fairly slowly uphill like that. Are the brakes that strong on a grom? Or is the tiny tire diameter exacerbating the issue.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Russian Bear posted:

Looked like the guy on the right probably locked up in the sandy turn and fell over, but strange for the Grom to lowside going fairly slowly uphill like that. Are the brakes that strong on a grom? Or is the tiny tire diameter exacerbating the issue.

poo poo rider hamfists the brakes.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Russian Bear posted:

The guy coming from the right was cutting the turn and poo poo his pants when he saw the other bike and Layed'er Dan. The GoPro dude saw the other guy fall down and poo poo his pants and Layed'er Dan in sympathy. The Grom is a stoppie machine, but you kind of have to know how to do stoppie. Or brake without falling over.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

Imagine how terrifying it would be to be a rider like that. You've got no idea how to brake strongly, no idea how to turn sharply. Your reactions are so slow that you know you're certain to hit any car that cuts you off. You get on the bike and it's like strapping yourself to a torpedo, hurtling forwards with tremendous inertia and barely any control over direction or speed, committing your life to chance. And on top of that you're just wearing a hoodie and skate shoes.

To add to this: the vast majority of riders are like this and they tell everyone they know how dangerous it is.

Russian Bear posted:

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

poo poo rider hamfists the brakes.

One thing I've found is that once you reach a certain level of competence it becomes almost impossible to do poo poo badly even if you're trying on purpose. I can't bunnyhop a manual car on purpose, I'm not entirely certain how it's achieved, but I watched my missus' sister do it like forty times in the exact same car. I don't know how you can lock the front brake on a scooter or Harley, I feel like I'm pulling as hard and abruptly as I can when I try to do it on purpose and it just never happens, like my brain just won't let me disable the safety override and do the dumb thing. After a few years it becomes difficult to even imagine how people gently caress things up so badly and you start having thoughts like 'maybe a superduke is actually an ok learner bike cause it has rider aids and a friendly engine' or 'sportsters are super slow, you'll be fine learning on one'.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Slavvy posted:

To add to this: the vast majority of riders are like this and they tell everyone they know how dangerous it is.

One thing I've found is that once you reach a certain level of competence it becomes almost impossible to do poo poo badly even if you're trying on purpose. I can't bunnyhop a manual car on purpose, I'm not entirely certain how it's achieved, but I watched my missus' sister do it like forty times in the exact same car. I don't know how you can lock the front brake on a scooter or Harley, I feel like I'm pulling as hard and abruptly as I can when I try to do it on purpose and it just never happens, like my brain just won't let me disable the safety override and do the dumb thing. After a few years it becomes difficult to even imagine how people gently caress things up so badly and you start having thoughts like 'maybe a superduke is actually an ok learner bike cause it has rider aids and a friendly engine' or 'sportsters are super slow, you'll be fine learning on one'.

I had a very embarrassing and stupid lowside a few years back from smashing the front brake. There were a handful of stupid things leading up to it, every one of which I should have accounted for, but the combination of riding while tired and inattentive below freezing on old tires with a 35# backpack and panic braking on a tar snakes was just too much for my dumb rear end to recover from at the last minute.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
https://i.imgur.com/FgBGV30.mp4

Continue with the Grom theme

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

There was a Grom dickhead across the street from me for a couple years. He was also an amateur mx kid and donged around on his track bike in the neighborhood. He backed into my neighbor's parked truck and got arrested for assault and battery on his girlfriend one Thanksgiving night and every now and then we get legal letters addressed to him from his parole officer.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Nitrox posted:

https://i.imgur.com/FgBGV30.mp4

Continue with the Grom theme

I can't make out what caused the front to slam down; doesn't look like he hit the rear brake and I wouldn't expect chopping the throttle from the balance point to be that abrupt.

Regardless, fuckin' lol

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
might have a handbrake that he accidentally grabbed a fist ful of, kind of hard to see anything tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Slavvy posted:

You eventually learn that no matter what is happening around you or how your lizard brain is panicking, you don't just SLAM on the brakes immediately to 100% force. You roll it on, quickly and firmly, and maybe to 95%.

That's the difference between someone who cant figure out how you could ever lock the front on a Harley, and someone who locks the front on a Harley. The former knows how to actually brake, the latter doesn't.

It's like all the boomers who are deathly afraid of using the front brake. You only think its dangerous because you don't know how to use it and dont understand it