Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Is the hospital something on the Happy Home island or does it go to your main island?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Zutaten posted:

I don't know if this is a new addition or not with 2.0, I haven't played in over a year, but if you talk to Isabelle about villager issues, in addition to the ability to reset their clothes and catchphrase to default, you can now reset their entire house to default, if it has become a gift apocalypse of fish, bugs, and random poo poo.

This also works to give your villagers who joined during the very beginning their "proper" house, instead of the wooden diy-filled ones.

What is the point of playing this game if it isn't to make every villager's wardrobe and home a gift apocalypse?

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

it's one of the facilities you design for Happy Home Paradise.

Dr. Chainsaws PhD
May 21, 2011

Poo In An Alleyway posted:

Nobody’s talking about how funny the HHP hospital is. I set mine up yesterday (named it EmPal SuRecon because of course I did) and the doctor you choose will have some snarky dialogue for you about your condition if you go in with, say, a runny nose. I selected Petri as the resident doctor and got the following from her:

Once they diagnose your issue you get a special clothing item related to your ailment (head bandages for a sore head, runny nose tissue stuck up one nostril for a gross runny nose, foot cast for a sore leg etc.)

i think i've seen some of these items in ables! was wondering why they wanted 300 bells for them to stick two tissues up my nose the other day

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Dr. Chainsaws PhD posted:

i think i've seen some of these items in ables! was wondering why they wanted 300 bells for them to stick two tissues up my nose the other day

sounds like the American medical care system to me

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I just learned that you. An find DIYs in bottles on the vacation home island’s beaches.

Also I’m already at the point where I jump onto a Kapp’n island simply to find the DIY, dig up the Gyroid, and get the gently caress out of there

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Nobody’s talking about how funny the HHP hospital is. I set mine up yesterday (named it EmPal SuRecon because of course I did) and the doctor you choose will have some snarky dialogue for you about your condition if you go in with, say, a runny nose. I selected Petri as the resident doctor and got the following from her:

Once they diagnose your issue you get a special clothing item related to your ailment (head bandages for a sore head, runny nose tissue stuck up one nostril for a gross runny nose, foot cast for a sore leg etc.)

Do you... Get sick in this game? Or is that just something that happens when you go to the hospital

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Also I’m already at the point where I jump onto a Kapp’n island simply to find the DIY, dig up the Gyroid, and get the gently caress out of there

HAH! I'm literally travelling back to my home island after doing exactly that. It wouldn't hurt if the odds of getting more interesting islands was bumped a tad. Thankfully nook miles flow sufficiently freely that blowing 1,000 to basically just get a shot at a new gyroid and recipe isn't too galling.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Yeah, the Kapp'n islands are kind of a bust. Even if I get a rare island there's not really much point for me. The one time I got something that I thought might be useful was the cherry blossom island which I might have used to farm petals had the spawn rate not been so low. I was there for maybe 10 minutes and only saw one petal.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

The Kapp'n islands could stand to use some more variety, yeah. The 'roid and DIY are nice, and I've gotten some islands that are littered with acorns and pinecones, but nothing revolutionary or even out of season yet.

On that note- I thought I read here that seasons will only change if you've "experienced" that season in game. I definitely have, haven't reset my island, etc. Am I wrong or is it more that I have to experience the season again with 2.0 being out?

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Chieves posted:

The Kapp'n islands could stand to use some more variety, yeah. The 'roid and DIY are nice, and I've gotten some islands that are littered with acorns and pinecones, but nothing revolutionary or even out of season yet.

On that note- I thought I read here that seasons will only change if you've "experienced" that season in game. I definitely have, haven't reset my island, etc. Am I wrong or is it more that I have to experience the season again with 2.0 being out?

you've just been unlucky, i think. out-of-season islands seem fairly uncommon, i've only gotten like 3.

one of them was a summer one though, and it was extremely useful for filling my pockets with bugs and fish i missed for the museum :)

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Does any place have a listing of all possible Kapp'n islands yet, similar to the NMT guide at https://wuffs.org/acnh/mysterytour.html ?

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

someone awful. posted:

you've just been unlucky, i think. out-of-season islands seem fairly uncommon, i've only gotten like 3.

one of them was a summer one though, and it was extremely useful for filling my pockets with bugs and fish i missed for the museum :)

There's a reason I don't go to Vegas, haha. Thanks for confirming!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Yeah I've gotten one star island which was fun, mostly I've been getting summer islands or same season ones. 2 days ago was funny because I got a late autumn island with maple leaves just before the season actually started here.

The Gyroids are definitely the most important part of Kapp'n islands to me- once I got one of the islands in the rain and got 2 extra ones, which was great.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

I suppose the Kapp'n islands are as they are because they don't want significant overlap with the Nook Islands. They're useful in getting seasonal DIYs since a lot of people don't have the patience to farm balloons all day, or to getting bugs, fish and sea creatures that you missed out on because you weren't playing at the time, and for some food dishes that need specific ingredients like those fish, sea creatures and mushrooms.

Now if only they brought back the hybrid flower islands that used to be in earlier versions of the game.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
I've at least gotten some mild convenience in an off-season island by guessing what season it was in and then grabbing some deep sea critters I had missed from that season. Fingers crossed for an island with cicadas so I can finally get my bug poster (who knew a museum would want to display a cicada shell?)

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Nook Islands and Kappn Islands both kind of suck because they're basically just roulette pulls for something neat, and there's a lot of busy work behind each pull. They were novel the first one or two times but with how rare the "something neat" is it's just not worth the time.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Do we know if Katerina’s fortune’s affect the Kapp’n chance?

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHhpXqoheTg

This seems to explain your odds but it still boils down to luck.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

Waffle! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHhpXqoheTg

This seems to explain your odds but it still boils down to luck.

That is a *great* summary, and explains why I dug up a bit of clay instead of a Gyroid fragment the other day :argh: Thanks for sharing.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

From a dataminer document, for those who don't want to watch the video or don't have time or whatever:

"Kapp’n picks an island for you to go to right before setting sail, and unlike with NMT islands, the game does not save upon departure, so it is possible to reset for a different island. The game may save anytime after closing dialogue with Kapp’n, so it is advisable to close the game after landing, before Kapp’n finishes talking.

Probability of each island type:

Gyroid Fragment/'Default' 30%
Vegetable 22%
Glowing Moss 18%
Full Gyroid 8%
Snowing* 3.14%
Cherry Blossom* 3.14%
Spring Bamboo* 3.14%
Star Fragment* 3.14%
Summer Shells* 3.14%
Maple Leaves* 3.14%
Mushrooms* 3.14%
Islands marked with * are not available until the date of the island has happened once since your character was created.

First tour and tours while inviting Brewster are always Gyroid Fragment.

Bad luck adjustments for the top four island types begin after 7 tours of not visiting one of those four types of islands.

A few factors will ensure you are sent to a normal gyroid fragment island (Haniwa):

First Kapp’n tour (player-based)
Blathers has asked you to find Brewster, and you have not invited Brewster to your island yet
Bad belongings fortune (this will also convert the gyroid fragments into clay)
If you have good belongings fortune, you skip the following roll and get a rare island. Otherwise, the game first rolls to check if you get a normal island (78%) or a rare island (22%).

If you rolled to get a normal island (78%):

if in the last 7 Kapp’n tours you’ve been on, there is a type of normal island you have not been sent to (because you were sent to other normal islands, or were sent to 7 rare islands in a row, etc.), a normal island type is picked randomly out of the ones you haven’t been to for the longest (uniformly at random, counters cap at 20 days)
else the game rolls according to SelectWeight (breaking the 78% up into: 30% Haniwa, 22% Vegetable, 18% OneRoom, 8% RareHaniwa)
If you rolled to get a rare island (22%):

a random rare island type is picked
if the date that the rare island type has never happened since you created your character (as measured by current game time), you cannot go to that rare island, and instead roll for a normal island as follows:
if you have good belongings fortune, you get OneRoom
else, you get a random normal island according to SelectWeight (38.46% Haniwa, 28.21% Vegetable, 23.08% OneRoom, 10.26% RareHaniwa)
otherwise, you get the rare island rolled
For example, if you created your character on 2021/07/16 in the Northern Hemisphere, since the date for the SeaShell island type is August 31st in Northern Hemisphere, you cannot get sent to SeaShell islands unless your game time is after 2021/08/31.

Note that this is based on player create time (a new profile on a 5* island will not be able to go to rare islands for some time), and game time at the time that you talk to Kapp’n (you can time travel forward to unlock but going backwards will lock them again).

An island should then be picked randomly based on the island type."

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Yeah I just got Katrina telling me I'd have better luck with items today but I did it after the Kapp'n island trip- I hadn't thought of doing her fortune before the island trip. I should start doing that instead.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

This is interesting because I only got cool nook islands like Shark and Spider maybe once each in all of 2020, but my first few Kappn islands were awesome (I got a star island the second or third time). Crop islands are super rare for me though.

My luck has tapered off, but I still have better luck than the Nook islands which are just for when I need a new villager at this point.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Tender Bender posted:

Do you... Get sick in this game? Or is that just something that happens when you go to the hospital

You don’t get sick in the game, but when you go to the hospital and speak to the receptionist they’ll ask you what ailment you have. You can pick one of the 3 the game offers you, then they’ll tell you to take a seat and wait to be called in. You sit and wait for maybe 5 seconds then the receptionist will tell you you can go in to see the doctor and tell them what you told the receptionist.

It’s honestly just a cute little way to get hospital-related clothing items, plus there seems to be an option to expand the hospital and add more doctors but I haven’t done it just yet.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I have a bad case of the stupid brain today. What is the joke behind your hospital name?

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Silver Falcon posted:

I have a bad case of the stupid brain today. What is the joke behind your hospital name?

https://youtu.be/FVzc20Bm8Xo

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Anybody have a real Amazing Painting or Nice Painting they’d be willing to give me? I have a bunch of real paintings/statues I could trade. Shoot me a PM.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Something I wish they'd put in to Happy Home Paradise is the ability to look at all the lots for a character, maybe after you've made yours. I want to see more charming fall-themed Dierdre homes, but mostly I want to mainline trash houses for Harry and toilet shrines for Lionel.

Here's what I made for Dierdre. I know I could have put that leaf fire outside, but I liked the challenge of doing it indoors. I gave her a hood vent to remove CO and a fire extinguisher for further safety. She clapped so hard for that fire extinguisher!

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

Hi five made-Petri-the-doctor buddy!

Today I made Sears, because I’m insane and it made me laugh like a lunatic.

ChickenDoodle fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Nov 18, 2021

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Welp, I got Lionel at the same time as I got partitions, so I couldn't help but create pointlessly-gendered bathrooms :shrug:

Forgive me; it was a concept, where I otherwise had none.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
Did anyone else make sure they put a lot of yellow flowers outside of Lionel's toilet home, or was that just me?

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.

effika posted:

Something I wish they'd put in to Happy Home Paradise is the ability to look at all the lots for a character, maybe after you've made yours. I want to see more charming fall-themed Dierdre homes, but mostly I want to mainline trash houses for Harry and toilet shrines for Lionel.

Here's what I made for Dierdre. I know I could have put that leaf fire outside, but I liked the challenge of doing it indoors. I gave her a hood vent to remove CO and a fire extinguisher for further safety. She clapped so hard for that fire extinguisher!

This actually exists, might just be limited to the picture (Just read about it, didn't unlock yet) but you can see other peoples designs eventually.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

CHiRAL posted:

This actually exists, might just be limited to the picture (Just read about it, didn't unlock yet) but you can see other peoples designs eventually.

I think what they’re saying is about having the ability to look up other people’s design lots for a specific character as opposed to the current system where it shows you all house designs regardless of character.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I'm glad Lionel is having a moment, he was one of my most memorable villagers from New Leaf. He was kind of creepily obsessed with me, he kept sending me letters about dreams he had of me and how he thought we could live together one day, and kept entering my house when I was inside without being invited. When he showed up at the campground in New Horizon I invited him to stay immediately.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

I think what they’re saying is about having the ability to look up other people’s design lots for a specific character as opposed to the current system where it shows you all house designs regardless of character.

Yes, that's it! Right now it's just a firehose of random.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Another goon from the discord had an insane pile of Gyroids they didn't want so now I'm drowning in them.

https://twitter.com/maiklbark/status/1461398672655085571?s=21

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I hope someone makes a “here’s how to organize your house if you want it to be a gyroid showcase instead” like they did with the museum in New Leaf. 100% down to repurpose my turnip mule into a gyroid hoarder now that I don’t care for turnips.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Taking advantage of redesigning villager homes to make them mesh with the outside of the island better. Here's your local jail!

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
does it bother anyone else that the game is somewhat arbitrary about what counts as a food-crafting station? The brick oven looks nice and meshes well with the design of my farm, but I can't cook on it. I either have to put down a kitchen stove outside, or bring food all the way over to my alt character's house to actually cook it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Blaziken386 posted:

does it bother anyone else that the game is somewhat arbitrary about what counts as a food-crafting station? The brick oven looks nice and meshes well with the design of my farm, but I can't cook on it. I either have to put down a kitchen stove outside, or bring food all the way over to my alt character's house to actually cook it

I kind of thought it had to do with what items have an activate-able action vs those that don't.