Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

With a market this hot, law school sounds like a great idea honestly.

one ultimate secret lawyers don't want you to know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Yuns posted:

I am no longer a biglaw partner by the way. I'm a general counsel now.

Do you get more than 3 hours of sleep a night now?

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

We tell you to not go to law school because we want to keep all the money

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Phil Moscowitz posted:

With a market this hot, law school sounds like a great idea honestly.

- me, taking the LSAT in 2004 so I could enroll 2005 and graduate in 2008

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

TheMadMilkman posted:

Do you get more than 3 hours of sleep a night now?

Probably just lifts more.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

builds character posted:

The market for associates is extraordinarily hot right now so I expect they will in fact hire a ton of associates to do work at coastal rates (billing too). I would guess that as soon as the market is not hot they will stop providing market raises and these are the first folks who will be on the chopping block. Out of the 50-200 they hire they will make some partners but at a lower rate than elsewhere. I would be surprised if the market for associates remained this hot for 10 years but wtf do I know about anything.
We are offering six figure signing bonuses to certain types of lateral associates now. It's insane.

We did something similar to the associate farm though at a much smaller scale. We have two offices without any partners, I think. I am guessing Kirkland will stay at market, with a lower chance of making partner unless you are an obvious star.

It is so hard to envision a world in which work actually slows down.

Xenochrist
Sep 11, 2006

gvibes posted:

We are offering six figure signing bonuses to certain types of lateral associates now. It's insane.

:wtfdude:

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

gvibes posted:

We did something similar to the associate farm though at a much smaller scale. We have two offices without any partners, I think. I am guessing Kirkland will stay at market, with a lower chance of making partner unless you are an obvious star.

how about for Texas government lawyers with extensive state litigation experience?

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

gvibes posted:

Thread title no longer ironic, time for a change.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

gvibes posted:

:holymoley:

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

It's not actually that new, folks, it's just an expanded phenomenon. My buddy (NYC biglaw, mix of levfin and blue chip) lateraled to a new city and got enough in bonus to finish off his law school debt, and this was early 2019. The same is just now true for most transactional practices.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Yes but how can I get that money with no private firm experience and a law degree from an unaccredited for profit school?

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I genuinely don't understand what drives people to do biglaw over other kinds of law. I mean I guess money is nice but jesus christ.

Speaking for myself, it was the sense that I’d suffered to get there and that having got onto the conveyer belt it would be suicidal to get off it again and I would never again have the same degree of personal or professional success. This turned out not to be the case, but it still kept me there for 9-10 years.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Yes but how can I get that money with no private firm experience and a law degree from an unaccredited for profit school?

Eminent Domain?

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

sullat posted:

Eminent Domain?

you know what i do!

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Beefeater1980 posted:

Speaking for myself, it was the sense that I’d suffered to get there and that having got onto the conveyer belt it would be suicidal to get off it again and I would never again have the same degree of personal or professional success. This turned out not to be the case, but it still kept me there for 9-10 years.

Crushing student loan debt also helps?

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I would recommend having at least one but ideally both parents with a high level work-giving job at a major client of many firms.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Hmm ship sailed there but I have valuable government contacts!

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

gvibes posted:

Do they need any nords?

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

gvibes posted:

We are offering six figure

Any demand for Russians?

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
"Certain types"
:wink:

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

gvibes posted:

Care to broadly identify the types of laterals getting those fat signing bonuses?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Vox Nihili posted:

Care to broadly identify the types of laterals getting those fat signing bonuses?

corporate m&a associates i bet

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

evilweasel posted:

corporate m&a associates i bet

Spacs are really driving the M&A world nuts.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Vox Nihili posted:

Patent litigators with tech backgrounds.

e: https://abovethelaw.com/2021/10/biglaws-throwing-around-500000-signing-bonuses-in-red-hot-lateral-market/ I cant figure out how real this 500k number, but it sounds transactional.

gvibes fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Nov 19, 2021

The Dagda
Nov 22, 2005

Has the thread already discussed this batshit story about a lady committing identity theft so she can...appear as a criminal defense attorney?

quote:

The mail fraud charge was for submitting a change-of-address form in another lawyer’s name to the state bar, then having that lawyer’s bar card was forwarded to Devlin’s address.

“She even paid one attorney’s state bar dues, without knowledge of the attorney, to keep the attorney’s license active,” the U.S. Attorney’s Office said Wednesday.

Devlin accepted a plea agreement in July and admitted to both counts. The 18-month sentence was part of the agreement.

In a sentencing memorandum, defense attorney Mark Goldrosen said Devlin is “extremely remorseful.” He said the crimes happened during a period when Devlin, a mother of four children, was having marital difficulties and was denied a California law license despite passing the state bar exam.

The state bar refused the license after determining that Devlin lacked the “requisite moral character,” Goldrosen wrote. The finding stemmed from a prior two-year sentence for unspecified crimes about 20 years ago.

TheWordOfTheDayIs
Nov 9, 2009

Blessed with an unmatched sense of direction

The Dagda posted:

Has the thread already discussed this batshit story about a lady committing identity theft so she can...appear as a criminal defense attorney?

Is "lack of requisite moral character" just a code phrase saying she wasn't white enough? Because that description is broad enough to swallow the entire legal profession.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

TheWordOfTheDayIs posted:

Is "lack of requisite moral character" just a code phrase saying she wasn't white enough? Because that description is broad enough to swallow the entire legal profession.

To get denied based on 2 decade old convictions it's a safe bet that they were pretty egregious and/or involved dishonesty or fraud. She served 2 years, so these weren't small time charges.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Pook Good Mook posted:

To get denied based on 2 decade old convictions it's a safe bet that they were pretty egregious and/or involved dishonesty or fraud. She served 2 years, so these weren't small time charges.

I mean, she then engaged in pretty serious identity theft and fraud so not only must she have committed something pretty bad - she then proved the bar right in rejecting her.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Pook Good Mook posted:

Also,

quote:

was ordered to pay $565,355 in restitution, which includes $368,800 in illegally obtained funds from the Small Business Administration, the prosecution said. Devlin accessed the funds through the government’s Paycheck Protection Program to support workers and businesses during the pandemic.

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the dmv is a low hanging golden apple of discrimination

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Hey thread. Long time first time.

I graduated from undergrad in May 2007. 4.0 gpa at a large state school. My June 2021 LSAT was a 180. I have received a scholarship offer from Cal and Stanford for full ride. I'm in at Harvard with no money, and Yale hasn't responded.

Should I bother going at this point?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

lol.

full ride include board and books? You're older than a regular law student, so you'll be with people younger and with a lot less life experience. You wanna put off your life for 3 years?

What are you doing now?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Shageletic posted:

lol.

full ride include board and books? You're older than a regular law student, so you'll be with people younger and with a lot less life experience. You wanna put off your life for 3 years?

What are you doing now?

HDD91 is currently selling their dummy thicc self on only fans for rent money.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
i got 180 millimeters for you right here

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Soothing Vapors posted:

i got 180 millimeters for you right here

There's a 100 millimeters per centimeter, so 1,8 cm? Nothing to write homey about

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
sorry you commie nordic gently caress im not some gormless american, you cant pull that poo poo on me

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

*hiding AskJeeves tab w/ QUIKC HOW MANY MM PER CM in search box*

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Hey thread. Long time first time.

I graduated from undergrad in May 2007. 4.0 gpa at a large state school. My June 2021 LSAT was a 180. I have received a scholarship offer from Cal and Stanford for full ride. I'm in at Harvard with no money, and Yale hasn't responded.

Should I bother going at this point?

Did you go to LSU or Alabama

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Shageletic posted:

lol.

What are you doing now?

well I'm a practicing lawyer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

well I'm a practicing lawyer

hopefully one day you'll get enough practice to be a real lawyer