Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

bloody ghost titty posted:

There is a place down in soho called the French cheese board. It is subsidized by the French Trade Ministry.

It’s goddamn perfect. Basically AOC cheeses at or near cost.

Tell me more! Soho London?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

therattle posted:

NYC presumably.

mystes
May 31, 2006

pr0k posted:

There's a shitload of great Thai food in the DC area now. When I was a kid there was one place.
The DC area has a lot of good food as long as by "the DC area" you mean falls church or whatever.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Sheeeeeiiiit

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

therattle posted:

Lol do you even trade with the EU bro

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

bloody ghost titty posted:

Lol do you even trade with the EU bro

Hey, I voted Remain. :(

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

The absolute best part was the gvt could have not acted on the referendum and after initiating could have just went "whoopse" for like 2 years.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
is the recipe for pumpkin pie on the cans of pumpkin good enough?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Gripweed posted:

Probably if you like completely standard pumpkin pie like you would get premade from somewhere?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Gripweed posted:

I always use the recipe on the can, but up the spices by about 1/3, and add a tablespoon of molasses. In a homemade crust.

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl

Gripweed posted:

i basically can't cook, so i go the can recipe plus vanilla and nutmeg. the nutmeg is crucial (for me).

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005

Gripweed posted:

This is the best one I've found so far. I brought one to work a couple weeks ago (I was practicing for Thanksgiving), and a coworker who said she takes extreme pride in her homemade pumpkin pie said it was the best one she's ever tasted:
https://www.onceuponachef.com/recipes/perfect-pumpkin-pie.html

I use fresh ground spices and homegrown pumpkin, but you can use powdered and canned. I also used a different pie crust recipe with vodka in it, but I'm sure this crust recipe is fine. The filling is definitely amazing.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Mmm. Pumpkin pie. Man, I haven’t had that for years.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

If you want to up your pumpkin pie game sprinkle raw sugar on top and burn it with a torch like creme brulee before serving.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
I'm absolutely not trying to gently caress around with homemade crust or lighting it on fire, but more spices sounds like a plan. Thanks!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Whatever you do, never let actual pumpkin material into your pumpkin pie. The one rule.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I like a little extra clove in my pumpkin pie. The other traditional spices are good too, but I love me some cloves.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Thumposaurus posted:

If you want to up your pumpkin pie game sprinkle raw sugar on top and burn it with a torch like creme brulee before serving.

Ooh good call, I'm absolutely going to try this. Hopefully it works better than brulee'd grapefruit did.

I'm still not sure if I'm working thanksgiving. It would be nice to be able to make a plan/grocery list.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Generalizing from that question: I've long toyed with the idea of just buying what I need at the shop for one recipe, based on the recipe printed on the can/tub/box/bag of some central ingredient. Like the lasagna recipe on the box of noodles, or the berry crumble on the bag of frozen mixed berries for dessert. In a similar vein, there are often little pamphlets with recipes in the produce section, telling the clueless (often me when faced with some strange new vegetable) how to cook something with that odd spiky green thing.

Has anybody done something like this? I end up reading those recipes while waiting for something to happen in the kitchen when I'm making something from either my own brain or one of the cook books we own. I expect most of those recipes are pretty bland, but should be basically good enough for an easy weeknight low-effort meal.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Guildenstern Mother posted:

Ooh good call, I'm absolutely going to try this. Hopefully it works better than brulee'd grapefruit did.

Brulee'd grapefruit is the bomb, did you dry it out real well before adding sugar?

ExecuDork posted:

Generalizing from that question: I've long toyed with the idea of just buying what I need at the shop for one recipe, based on the recipe printed on the can/tub/box/bag of some central ingredient. Like the lasagna recipe on the box of noodles, or the berry crumble on the bag of frozen mixed berries for dessert. In a similar vein, there are often little pamphlets with recipes in the produce section, telling the clueless (often me when faced with some strange new vegetable) how to cook something with that odd spiky green thing.

Has anybody done something like this? I end up reading those recipes while waiting for something to happen in the kitchen when I'm making something from either my own brain or one of the cook books we own. I expect most of those recipes are pretty bland, but should be basically good enough for an easy weeknight low-effort meal.

I'm certain someone on YouTube has a series where they test these. Not sure what to search for though

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Those recipes are usually pretty OK, they just exist to cause you to buy other products from the same company, if they make them. Bland, yes, because they're adapted to play in Peoria but you can always adjust seasoning.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

A shocking number of 'secret family recipes' are stuff like the cookie recipe off the back of the tollhouse chocolate chip bag. They're generally tested recipes if not super exciting.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

A shocking number of 'secret family recipes' are stuff like the cookie recipe off the back of the tollhouse chocolate chip bag. They're generally tested recipes if not super exciting.

https://youtu.be/S3STSEzUnEc

On another note, does anyone have a reliable biscuit recipe?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Democratic Pirate posted:

Like cut biscuits? My basic "I don't have any special ingredients" biscuits are 180 g AP flour, 1 1/2 tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp salt, 3 Tbsp butter, 1/2 cup milk.

Mix the dry ingredients together, cut in the butter, add the milk, mix with a fork until it comes together, roughly roll out just using your hands, flatten, fold, repeat three or four times, flatten out to ~1/2" or so, cut. Flip and put onto baking sheet (so the bottom as you're cutting them becomes the top as you're baking them), brush tops with a little melted butter (or just some milk), ~15 minutes @400 F.

The main knob you can twiddle on this recipe (and most biscuit recipes) is the condition (and possibly type) of fat. If you use all cold butter straight from the fridge the biscuits will be maximally flaky, minimally tender. If you melt all the butter before mixing it in, the buscuits will be minimally flaky and maximally tender. You can adjust the proportions to dial in whatever consistency you prefer, half and half is probably a good place to start.

The ultra-traditional method of cutting in the cold butter is to use two knives, but using a pastry cutter is like easy mode for biscuits, scones, pâte brisée, and that kind of thing so if you don't have one and make a lot of biscuits, pie crusts, and what have you it's worth the like :10bux: one'll cost you.

If you're asking for drop biscuits, my "poo poo it's the middle of the week I need something gently caress it I'm not making bread" drop biscuits are 110 g AP flour, 1 tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp salt, 4 Tbsp butter, 3/8 cup milk. Just mix the dry ingredients, cut in the butter (I always use cold for drop biscuits), mix in the milk with a fork, then divide by hand into portions as soon as it comes together. Again about 15 minutes @400 F.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

So regardless of whether I'm off on Tday I'm apparently getting a free turkey through work on Fri. No idea what I'm going to do with it, but I'll be damned if I turn my nose up at that much free bird. My initial thought was to break it down and freeze it until I realized I'd have to thaw and refreeze which is probably not a good idea. I could roast it and then break it down I guess, although I don't often freeze already cooked meat, how long would that be good for? Any ideas?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

VelociBacon posted:

Whatever you do, never let actual pumpkin material into your pumpkin pie. The one rule.

Next you'll tell me not to put pumpkin in my latte

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

227g / 2 sticks COLD butter
44g AP flour
15g salt
1 tbsp baking powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
(I like to add about 1 tsp of cayenne)
~1.5 cup buttermilk
~3 Tbsp additional butter

Preheat a cast iron pan at 425 for about 30 minutes.

- Mix dry ingredients, maybe stick the bowl in the fridge if your kitchen is hot
- Cube the 2 sticks butter
- Toss the butter cubes in the dry ingredients and use your hands to mush them up until there are no butter pieces larger than about pea sized. You want a lot of fat flakes of butter. Pinch the butter cubes and toss everything around, trying not to get the butter softened. You may need to put the bowl back in the fridge occasionally depending on temperature. I've tried the pastry cutter, and the two knives, and it's just way easier to do it with your hands. Do not overwork and do not knead. If the mixture turns yellow you've gone too far. You want largish pieces of butter because the steam it gives off while baking will give you flaky layers
- Add about half the buttermilk. Depending on humidity etc you may not need all of it. Stir it into the dry ingredients with a spatula, you still want to keep it as cold as possible. Keep adding buttermilk until the mixture is wet and hydrated, but not too sticky and wet. You want no dry bits of flour in the bowl.
- Sprinkle some flour on your board and turn the mixture out onto it. At this point I use a dough scraper to shape and fold the mix. You want it to not stick to the board, and touch with your hands as little as possible. Folding the dough will help the biscuits be flaky, but be careful not to overwork. Be gentle.
- Here I personally just use the scraper to chop my dough into cubes. You can get fancy and use a cutter or something if you want.
- Take the hot cast iron out of the oven and yeet your remaining ~3Tbsp butter into it. Swirl it around to melt it all.
- Take your biscuits one at a time and carefully roll them in the hot melted butter skillet until they are buttered on all or most sides. A 12" skillet should be plenty big to hold them all. Cram them together in a circle to bake.
- Sprinkle the whole thing with flaky salt and maybe more cayenne.
- Bake for ~20-25 minutes. They should be golden on top but not quite starting to fully brown yet.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

I've been using this one. It works with milk, buttermilk, or water, and I've integrated the butter using frozen+grater and also cubed+food processor:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aA6tmTVVfk4
I swap the salt with Old Bay though.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

So regardless of whether I'm off on Tday I'm apparently getting a free turkey through work on Fri. No idea what I'm going to do with it, but I'll be damned if I turn my nose up at that much free bird. My initial thought was to break it down and freeze it until I realized I'd have to thaw and refreeze which is probably not a good idea. I could roast it and then break it down I guess, although I don't often freeze already cooked meat, how long would that be good for? Any ideas?
Thawing, breaking down, freezing isn't the worst thing. I've done it, would do it again. Also remember you don't need to thaw it 100% -- if you just want to cut off the wings and legs, it doesn't matter if the center of the breast is still frozen.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Anyone have a reliable tool for making small slices of very cold butter? I haven't thought to do it before, because I'd always just slice it and then cool it again, but it would be nice to take it straight from stick to biscuit/pie dough-ready in one go. Maybe a vegetable peeler or something. I never liked those wire things, whether for an egg or a mushroom or whatever if it's for more than one slice at a time like I'd use for cheese. Maybe I just haven't experienced a good one though, I dunno.

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005
I use a metal bench scraper for that - works pretty good (but maybe not for super thin slices).

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

If you want even easier/faster week day drop biscuits you can pre-mix a large batch of the dry ingredients and then you add enough cream to get the right consistency, drop, and bake.

It's like making diy bisquick.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

signalnoise posted:

Anyone have a reliable tool for making small slices of very cold butter? I haven't thought to do it before, because I'd always just slice it and then cool it again, but it would be nice to take it straight from stick to biscuit/pie dough-ready in one go. Maybe a vegetable peeler or something. I never liked those wire things, whether for an egg or a mushroom or whatever if it's for more than one slice at a time like I'd use for cheese. Maybe I just haven't experienced a good one though, I dunno.

Fine slicer attachment on your food processor?

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Anne Whateley posted:

Thawing, breaking down, freezing isn't the worst thing. I've done it, would do it again. Also remember you don't need to thaw it 100% -- if you just want to cut off the wings and legs, it doesn't matter if the center of the breast is still frozen.

That might be the ticket, I was always told that its bad food safety to refreeze after thawing though so I wanted to double check.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

signalnoise posted:

I’ve always used a vegetable peeler when I only had cold butter and wanted toast. A coarse cheese grater (shredder, really) would probably work as well, like you would when making rough puff.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

That might be the ticket, I was always told that its bad food safety to refreeze after thawing though so I wanted to double check.
It's just a texture thing. Assuming you thaw in the fridge, it's never in the danger zone. Obviously don't thaw on the counter though

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

JoshGuitar posted:

I use a metal bench scraper for that - works pretty good (but maybe not for super thin slices).

I like the mentioned idea of a cheese shredder but I felt it was necessary to mention that because I have been doing woodworking lately, I initially read this as a bench plane and for a brief moment in my morning wake-up brain thought it was the most incredible thing I had ever heard

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

signalnoise posted:

I like the mentioned idea of a cheese shredder but I felt it was necessary to mention that because I have been doing woodworking lately, I initially read this as a bench plane and for a brief moment in my morning wake-up brain thought it was the most incredible thing I had ever heard

BRB patenting a countertop butter planer.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

signalnoise posted:

One of those cheese cutting boards with the single wire built in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

The Maestro posted:

One of those cheese cutting boards with the single wire built in?

Well, I didn't explain the problem I have with cutters that use wire- really it's a matter of design. If you're cutting multiple slices with wire, they tend to mash more than slice. If you cut with a single wire, they cut great, but to cut all the way through you have to provide a space for the wire to move past whatever you're cutting, which means dropping the wire into the slot in the board, or something like that, and that slot is always really annoying to clean. You gotta get in there with a toothbrush or something like that or it gets really gross. These days I'm always wary of any kitchen gadget with tight spaces that will be touched by food.