Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

mactheknife posted:

it is extremely easy to just buy a plain-rear end wedding band

No

Gold is apparently not manly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

mactheknife posted:

Well yeah. That's why manly bands are selling very manly embellished wedding bands for mark up and hide the plain old band in the back of the site (also for mark up).

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

mactheknife posted:

Yeah, but for that, you might actually have to talk to a jeweler. Everyone knows talking to a jeweler about something that's not for your wife/girlfriend will turn you gay/into a woman.

Finally, there's a man-branded option for men to buy manly rings.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

I remember seeing ads for tungsten rings or some poo poo in popsci magazine decades ago

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Tungsten carbide rings actually have a real use other than oorah manliness
It's intentionally a very brittle alloy that will crack and shatter instead of deforming, so if you work with heavy machinery or on an assembly line or something it helps avoid the risk of getting your ring caught in a machine and tearing your finger off (since the ring will just break off instead of pinching down).

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Or you could just not wear the degloving risk item.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Tungsten carbide rings actually have a real use other than oorah manliness
It's intentionally a very brittle alloy that will crack and shatter instead of deforming, so if you work with heavy machinery or on an assembly line or something it helps avoid the risk of getting your ring caught in a machine and tearing your finger off (since the ring will just break off instead of pinching down).

This is why I got mine, was working in a warehouse at the time and thought it was the best route to go.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I had a tungsten ring when I was married because it was cheap and I liked the color

It's a little embarrassing to be in the company of the Dude Wipes of jewelry though

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I’ve got a coworker who wears a silicone wedding band for the same reason. I got married when the greatest risk to my hands was carpal tunnel so I’ve got a white gold band that I take off every day.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

PhazonLink posted:

Yeah but obviously wedding bands are an important symbolic item to a lotta people.
Some people choose to wear it around a string on their neck or something instead which also works well.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Phanatic posted:

"Buy one of our phones and literally every aspect of your private life, every last sanctuary and respite can be devote instead to labor."

Who on earth works from a work-issued bed? Is this the new company car?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Phy posted:

Literally Dr Sbaitso

gently caress me its been thirty years since I’ve thought about that.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

PhazonLink posted:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I figure having a safe alternative is probably better than going along and waiting for the one day you forget to take off the ring.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Yeah, sure, get tungsten and silicone baby rings.

Instead from Manly Bands you can get The Frontiersman, a titanium band with camo inlay.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I think we should normalize wedding cock rings.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Captain Hygiene posted:

I figure having a safe alternative is probably better than going along and waiting for the one day you forget to take off the ring.

Other than silicone, I don’t think there is a “safe” ring when it comes to degloving risks. My understanding is that even if the ring will crack rather than bend, your finger will likely deglove well before the ring cracks.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Isn't that exactly what sturdy work gloves are for.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies

zedprime posted:

Instead from Manly Bands you can get The Frontiersman, a titanium band with camo inlay.

Uhoh, my wedding ring is titanium, because I wanted something cheap to replace when I’d inevitably lose it. I guess that means I’m a really manly woman?

Also, what is with that “camo”? I swear it’s a photo of trees that’s been stretched. It doesn’t look like any camouflage I’ve ever seen.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I don't think the folk wisdom is that tungsten especially helps with degloving. Anything leaving your finger at a high speed is gonna get you there. It's more in crushing, something that cracks is suspected to be less likely to give compartment syndrome before they get the ring or finger off, or be a finger guillotine when cinched. Which no, glove doesn't help there.

I don't know that any of that bears out medically anyway. You can Google some pretty nasty pictures of cinched rings but I don't know that something that cracks a tungsten ring is gonna leave your finger very well off.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

I thought Manly Bands was the company that made wedding rings out of like M1 Garand stocks and whiskey barrels but apparently that’s ANOTHER fragile masculinity ring company.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Domus posted:

Uhoh, my wedding ring is titanium, because I wanted something cheap to replace when I’d inevitably lose it. I guess that means I’m a really manly woman?

Also, what is with that “camo”? I swear it’s a photo of trees that’s been stretched. It doesn’t look like any camouflage I’ve ever seen.

I think the camo is supposed to be Mossy Oak, or a ripoff of Mossy Oak

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Schubalts posted:

Isn't that exactly what sturdy work gloves are for.

Maybe some industries but I work with lathes. They will happily tear that glove off (possibly breaking your wrist if they’re really sturdy) to get to the sweet sweet ring finger flesh underneath.

The only gloves I wear around machine tools are nitrile.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

zedprime posted:

Titanium is cool. Too bad about the camo. Otherwise it's the kind of ring someone would give to me if a) women gave men surprise rings and b) anyone loved me. I like airplanes and space exploration and shiny things.

It's wild because I don't know anyone who sees Man Products and doesn't immediately assume the user has a tiny penis.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Snake you have to min max your camo index, make sure even the interior of the ring has a camo pattern.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

when you want a ring with a picture of trees on it, but you don't want anyone else to know you're wearing a ring with a picture of trees on it

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

See, with camo on the inside your finger will never know it’s wearing a ring. It’s finger liberation, really, it can do as it pleases without feeling shackled and enslaved by marriage.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
Not a dumb marketing move per se, but whenever I see Sherwin Williams' logo it reminds me of some kind of supervillain league:

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
My first wedding ring was titanium (so was hers) because they looked cool as hell, were understated, and really affordable.
My second wedding ring is hand hammered silver with a stone inset.
It's all in what the symbol means to you personally.

Please don't wear anything but silicone or nothing around machine tools or other places where degloving is a risk.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I wear my plain white gold ring on a braided leather cord when I'm in the field or working with machinery. I don't like leaving it anywhere, but I also don't want to wear it where it can get wrecked or wreck me.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Isn't wearing anything around your neck a terrible idea when around anything rotating? (Lathes, PTOs, saws etc)

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
All internet advertising is bullshit.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

For true safety I wear a titanium wedding suit, outfitted with a miniaturized nuclear fusion reactor that allows me to profess my love for the world to know expressed a sonic pulse capable of liquifying human bones up to 5 meters away

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

christmas boots posted:

There was a huge thing on Twitter earlier this year too where some funimation voice actors were also complaining about piracy and when someone was like “there’s no legal way to watch this show in my country” they just straight up said “then you don’t get to watch it”

I’m not opposed to paying for content, but I don’t think that particular moment landed well

Oh yeah, that went over pretty legendarily badly, especially since anime would probably have never gotten as big as it did in the west without piracy.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Anime was way better when it was nothing but sub groups at each other's throats and hitting up irc to get your downloads. Crunchyroll ruined anime

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Gaius Marius posted:

Anime was way better when it was nothing but sub groups at each other's throats and hitting up irc to get your downloads. Crunchyroll ruined anime

TL note: keikaku means plan

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I do miss competing sub groups rushing to beat the other one to the door and both doing completely different horrible translation jobs where it was like two different shows, neither of which was the real plot

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Barudak posted:

I do miss competing sub groups rushing to beat the other one to the door and both doing completely different horrible translation jobs where it was like two different shows, neither of which was the real plot

This still happens with manga.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
With dubs generally now being as accurate and faithful as possible, I want a sub group to do the opposite, and brutally Americanize stories as much as possible. Fansubs that revive the 'Jelly Donuts' era of anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Cleretic posted:

With dubs generally now being as accurate and faithful as possible, I want a sub group to do the opposite, and brutally Americanize stories as much as possible. Fansubs that revive the 'Jelly Donuts' era of anime.

Wasn't that what the Squid Game dubtitles were?