Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Evil Willow posted:

Update-Got a paternity test and now my wife might divorce me over it

lol he sure buried the lead he treated the middle child so badly that he thought his father hated him, that alone would've been grounds for divorce without any paternity test.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

My wife is considering divorcing me after finding out the real reason we started dating

quote:

I love my wife very much and she's the best thing that's ever happened to me. However, our relationship started in what you can call a non-traditional way.

First, some background information. My (34m) cousin (35m) and I have always had a friendly rivalry. Ever since we were children we were always trying to one up one another and when it got to high school it really amped up.

If I bought a jacket, he would go out and buy a nicer jacket. If he bought the newest gaming system I would purposely steal his games even though I didn't own the Super Nintendo (yet). Whenever I dated a girl or showed interest in a girl, he would swoop in and take her from me. It got so bad that we actually had a couple of physical altercations over it.

Things came to a head when, long story short, he slept with my long term crush, (let's call her Stacey). I vowed to get revenge. I noticed him talking to a girl from my class (let's call her Jane), being all flirty towards her, spending a lot of time with her and so on. I didnt waste any time, I asked her out as soon as I could and she said yes. Turns out she had a crush on me for a while even though I did not find her remotely attractive.

The date actually went really well, turns out we shared a lot of the same interests. I kept dating her to rub it in to my cousin because I noticed he was still talking to her between classes. Over time, I came to love Jane's personality and forgot the fact that I wasn't physically attracted to her. We dated all through out University and we got married five years ago. I can't picture life without her.

Now that COVID-19 restrictions have loosened up, we had Steven over for dinner. To my great surprise, Steven is currently dating Stacey and it turns out they reconnected when they were both hired to the same company this summer. We were reminiscing about old times and our rivalry came up. We had all been drinking at that point and I mentioned that in high school Steven slept with Stacey because he knew that I had liked her. I then added "but the rivalry ended up working out for me, I asked Jane out as revenge because I knew you had a crush on her, and now we're married."

I definitely should NOT have said this. Several people got upset when I revealed this information. Stacey was shocked that Steven had treated her like a "prize" and objectified her. Steven revealed that he had never had a crush on Jane, they were just in the same math class and Jane was helping him with his school work. He scoffed that "Jane wasn't a prize after all" and I felt humiliated. I was unaware (I thought Jane was upstairs putting our daughters to sleep) she had been standing in the hallway behind me, listening in to our whole conversation.

I could see the horror in Stacey's face and realised that my wife was standing behind me, sobbing. Jane has always been very sensitive about not being one of the "hot girls" and I had been the first boy to ever ask her out on a date. I started trying to apologise and explain that I love Jane very much NOW, I fell in love with her wonderful personality, her kindness, her intelligence and so on. She didn't even listen to any of my heartfelt compliments and instead asked Steven and I to leave the house.

Now Stacey and Steven have broken up and he is blaming me, but even worse, my wife threatening to divorce me over this whole thing. She says our entire relationship was based on a lie, and she will never be able to look at me, or our relationship, in the same way.

How can I convince her that my feelings for her might not have started out that way, but are very real now. I love this woman and I love our marriage and the life we have built together. We have two young daughters (3 & 1) and I don't want them to grow up in a broken home. What can I do to fix this?

Edit - Of course I now think my wife is attractive to me. After years of being with her I can see her unique beauty. However, I think it is fair to point out that to objective society, most would not consider her attractive.

girl divorce this whole trash fire of a family. run.

Mx. fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Nov 18, 2021

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Mx. posted:

My wife is considering divorcing me after finding out the real reason we started dating

lol and lmao

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I’m sure this was posted but I loving love this one line

AITA for getting a cashier in trouble because he didn't believe in february 29?

quote:

Today after leaving work I needed to pick up some wine so I made an stop to a local grocery store to get 2 different bottles that he and some cleaning supplys (bleach and cat sand)

I have a permanent babyface So I'm always ready to give the ID, usually there isn't a problem, the cashier just hands it back and I go in my merry way.

I get to the register, (it's morning so it's empty) I put my things when the cashier (Kevin) gives me a side eye and the following conversation ensues.

K: Aren't you too young to be buying wine?
Me:I get that a lot, I am 21
-I hand my ID to kevin
K: good try but this is fake
Me: excuse me?
K: this is a fake ID, you are not gonna fool me, and I bet the bleach is for you to get high
Me; why would you think is fake? And how am I gonna get high with bleach??
K: because february just haves 28 days and this says February 29! I am not stupid
Me: what..?
K: Now get out before I call the security guard
Me: Excuse me but February has 29 days every 4 years, and I need my ID back
K: no, I'm destroying this, now get out

(Note that I have bad anxiety and confrontation makes me retreat, so I was completely ready to just go to another grocery store)

(Kevingets out of his till to go find something to the staff room)

Me: Excuse me but I need my ID! (I'm raising my voice at this point and following him)
K: no, I'm gonna cut it now go away, this is staff only

(The grocery store is still preety empty and he was the only cashier in the shift, preety common where I live)

(I start to shut down when a woman in a different uniform that was there raised her voice from the other door to the staff room)

W: what is happening here? Kevin what are you doing?
K: This kid is trying to buy alcohol and things to get high with a fake ID
Me; It's not fake! Please give it back!
K: get me some scissors so I can snap it
W: Kevin February 29 is real, is a leap year,
K; No, leap years are a myth from greece before the church took over, they aren't real
(the woman takes the ID from kevins hands and hands it back to me, who's almost in tears)
W: I'm so sorry, I will have an stern talk with Kevin, let me check you out
Me: (I just nod and follow her back to my shopping, she gives me my groceries and I pay for them)
W: Could you come with me to sign a paper stating what Kevin has done?
Me: Eh..sure? For what?
W: Because no one believes me when he does this things and I need it in paper so I can get him reported

I just went and signed statement (I still don't understand why she needed one)

I told what happened to my roomate and he told me I shouldn't have signed anything because now Kevin's gonna get fired for a very minor thing, and that the woman was probably just mad at him for something else and wanted to use this to get him out of the store, and that is my fault for having such a confusing birthdate??

I don't know reddit I'm just tired, am I the rear end in a top hat?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Thumbtacks posted:

Yeah, Kevin shouldn't be fired for that string of fire-able offenses, just because that other employee wanted to get rid of him for all his other offenses... :thunk:

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Thumbtacks posted:

"It's your fault for WHEN YOU WERE BORN"

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Mx. posted:

Of course I now think my wife is attractive to me. After years of being with her I can see her unique beauty. However, I think it is fair to point out that to objective society,

drat shame this one's too long for a title

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Confiscating/destroying believed-fake IDs is only done in movies, and anyone who believes they have the authority in real life is going to end up in serious legal trouble if the ID turns out to be legit. Which doesn't stop idiots from thinking they can do so, and the proper alternative (contacting the police) has problems all its own.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Mx. posted:

I started trying to apologise and explain that I love Jane very much NOW, I fell in love with her wonderful personality, her kindness, her intelligence and so on. She didn't even listen to any of my heartfelt compliments

I'm cackling

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Bruceski posted:

Confiscating/destroying believed-fake IDs is only done in movies, and anyone who believes they have the authority in real life is going to end up in serious legal trouble if the ID turns out to be legit. Which doesn't stop idiots from thinking they can do so, and the proper alternative (contacting the police) has problems all its own.

Back in my college days a bouncer once showed me his collection of confiscated IDs. Apparently the threat to take it worked pretty well as a litmus of authenticity. People cared about losing their *actual* ID, but most drunk teenagers would just bolt and leave the fake behind.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Look honey, I still think you’re kind of an uggo, but that doesn’t matter because

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

wheatpuppy posted:

Back in my college days a bouncer once showed me his collection of confiscated IDs. Apparently the threat to take it worked pretty well as a litmus of authenticity. People cared about losing their *actual* ID, but most drunk teenagers would just bolt and leave the fake behind.

As long as you know when to stop, that's a good one. It's these "don't do that" "no I'm gonna cut this up and you can't stop me" idiots who are being really stupid. And I've met them in real life, unfortunately. Cop wannabe slinging smokes in a gas station, doesn't know their authority stops at "yes" or "no".

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Mx. posted:

He scoffed that "Jane wasn't a prize after all" and I felt humiliated

I don't think you are going to convince me you love your wife.

Betting he still has a thing for Stacey too.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

wheatpuppy posted:

My bouncer bro would ask people their zodiac sign. Very few people remember the fake bday's sign but pretty much everyone knows what theirs is even if they realize its BS. That's a good one too though, even if its a bit risky. I could see the wrong person getting really physical about someone threatening to take away their license, especially if they've been drinking.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I've worked jobs where you had to check IDs and I'd never dream of depriving someone else the opportunity to laugh at some lovely fake-rear end ID.

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

Soylent Pudding posted:

Meanwhile:

TIFU by showing my girlfriend my actual strength

The comment for those curious:
this is why I like rock climbing. Because you're not competing directly against anyone, their strength has no bearing on what you can or can't do.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Thumbtacks posted:

W: Could you come with me to sign a paper stating what Kevin has done?
And afterwards, I can give you $100!

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Why would I bother taking anyone's fake ID away? I'm (hypothetically) paid to check their ID, but nobody's paying me extra to confiscate it.

Nae
Sep 3, 2020

what.

My sister had her fake ID confiscated at a bar in New Hampshire, AND they had her arrested.

She was one month shy of 21.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
I got lots of free beer my freshman year of college because I made fake IDs back in 99. I had a high DPI Epson. We were in NW Ohio and MI licenses had blank backs back then. Someone scanned an ID, and photos of some folks on the floor. I edited the details, plopped in the photo, printed it off on fancy photo paper, and someone in another hall with a laminator took care of the rest. I never made one for myself though. Neither did I make one for my ex-roommate who stole from me and threatened to kick my rear end because the neighbors caught me making out with his ex in our room, even though he gave someone a photo and asked them to ask me. Ah, memories.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for not giving a child my balloon hat?

quote:

I'm aware the title makes me sound like a child myself, but bear with me.

So, at my (23f) place of work, we have a lady who comes every Saturday to make balloon hats, face paint etc. She's super lovely and I get very excited for Saturdays to roll around because I am partial to a silly hat and she makes a MEAN balloon hat. While we do wear the balloon hats at work, we don't usually take them home, but we had our staff party that night and we all planned on taking then home to wear to that.

This happened a couple weeks ago. I had my balloon hat, which was a fish, and I was wearing it as I was serving customers (I wasn't the only one wearing one btw.) when a child (maybe 7-8) and her dad came up to me next. The girl points at it and asks her Dad if she could get one. Now by this time the Balloon Hat Lady had packed up her stuff and left, and he told her that. BUT then he said, 'maybe if you ask the lady for hers she will give it to you.'

I kind of cringed because I knew if I said no to this sweet little girl I would be a massive AH, but I also thought why should I feel obliged to give this random kid something of mine just because she's a kid? So instead I said 'oh I this is actually my hat but I think we have a spare one that nobody is wearing that you can have!' So I went to ask my workmates for the other one and they were also a bit conflicted because as I said above, we were planning on wearing them to our staff party that night.

We couldn't find the spare one so one of my work mates reluctantly gave up his. (more mature than me obvs) I gave it to her and she seemed happy with it but the dad kind of made a sly comment about me not wanting to give his child my one. It was kind of awkward and I did feel like a bad for letting my workmate give up his one instead of mine.

Anyway I told my BF when I got home about it and he said I was a bit of an AH because it's just a stupid hat and I could have gotten another one next week. He said this to me as I was wearing the fish balloon hat which made me feel a bit silly.

So, AITA for not giving a child my balloon hat?

(Pic of my friend wearing the sick fish balloon hat: https://imgur.com/a/Kzqj8JT )

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Oh gently caress that owns.

Yolo Swaggins Esq
Jan 29, 2015

oOoOoh 👀 a dapper little mouse🎩 🐀🕺🏻🕺🏻 a dAppER MoUSe🧐🐀 🚶🏿‍♂️🚶🏿‍♂️it’s a 🎩DAPPER mouse 👀✔️🐀🥾🏃🏽‍♂️🕺🏻🕺🏻🕺🏻🏃🏽‍♂️🐀💥
I would absolutely fight a child for that sick fish hat, OP did nothing wrong

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Yolo Swaggins Esq posted:

I would absolutely fight a child for that sick fish hat, OP did nothing wrong

:hai:

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

"Yo Mike where's your fish hat!"

Sorry gave it to some kid and made her night

"Oh sick bro come butt chug this beer!"

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Don't offer kids things that you don't own on other people's behalf. You are the rear end in a top hat if you do this, not the person who doesn't wanna give up their stuff.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Crocobile posted:

This story almost creeps me out because I absolutely knew a duo like this. They’d constantly triangulate each-other against new “enemies” so the whole dynamic is based on “us” vs “them.” The woman’s grief itself is understandable but the treatment of the husband in the story is so familiar; a total inability to process her own emotions so all the bad feelings get projected and blamed on an easy target.

The duo I knew is a straight woman and gay man and there’s nothing romantic between them, just a completely toxic emotional dependency.

I feel like it's almost inevitable that these kind of people will eventually drive away everyone else and turn on each other.

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Barudak posted:

Well now you know who in the family will buy your NFTs

I had a relapse in 6th grade for a year. The gift from "Santa" was a Nintendo 64, and my grades were so terrible that given the possibilities of "my parents bought this for me and just claimed it was from Santa" or "Santa must be real after all" Occam's Razor said it had to be the latter.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Haschel Cedricson posted:

I had a relapse in 6th grade for a year. The gift from "Santa" was a Nintendo 64, and my grades were so terrible that given the possibilities of "my parents bought this for me and just claimed it was from Santa" or "Santa must be real after all" Occam's Razor said it had to be the latter.

I know what you mean by relapse but I'm laughing at a 6th grader slinging rocks after falling back into that lifestyle after you already got out and an N64 from santa turning your life around

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for saying that someone old enough for social media, is old enough to know Santa does not exist?

I mean, at 12, it's marginal, right?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Mx. posted:

girl divorce this whole trash fire of a family. run.

Reading these insane family stories makes me less sad that my extended family are basically all strangers to me

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

Midnight Voyager posted:

Yeah man, "all over a paternity test", it was clearly just that and not all of the things she very clearly said.

I can't see this update, please link so we can bathe in the obliviousness.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

AITA for refusing to host Thanksgiving for 20+ people for the 4th year in a row?

quote:

So my fiancé has a rather large family. Parents, two brothers with significant others, numerous adult nieces and nephews and their partners and there’s usually always some distant aunt, uncle or cousin that tags along. I have two family members that join Holidays. This year neither will be able to attend. Last year one was present.

So for the past four years I’ve been single handedly cooking from scratch and hosting for both Thanksgiving and Christmas. So essentially I’ve been cooking dinner for 20 people or so while my partner babysits a brisket in the smoker. There’s a lot of logistics behind cooking for a large crowd. I start prepping the night before, cook all morning and afternoon and by the time everything is done I’m too exhausted to enjoy the food I cooked and eat. Last year I requested that everyone attending brings one side dish or dessert, no one brought anything! I had a feeling that’s what it was going to be, as no one mentioned what they’re bringing so I prepared for it anyway.

Just to also mention, I have never been thanked for hosting or cooking. Literally by no one. All leftovers get picked over and taken home (last year I also had to cook the following day because there was nothing left to eat except some baked Brie that my MIL turned her nose up to, and I wanted to enjoy leftovers at least).

This year I told my partner that I have no intention of cooking. If he wanted to host, he can cater. His reaction was “but that’s our tradition “, “can’t you at least make some boxed stuffing or something“ and “everyone is planning on coming“. My reaction was “nope that’s your tradition“, “I will not make boxed stuffing“ and “if they’re planning on coming, you better put that catering order in“. He has not spoken to me since.

I also had to explain, and I shouldn’t have to, that I haven’t been feeling well. I finished an 8 month course of a pretty rough medication that dries out all the joints in your body, I’ve been achy and miserable and I feel stiff when I overwork myself.

AITA for not wanting to entertain 20+ people twice a year, every year?

I have decided to possibly sit out Thanksgiving completely, buy a pre-made single serving thanksgiving dinner at the local grocery store that just needs to be popped in the oven for a while and going to watch that new Lady Gaga movie.

EDIT: guys my partner found this post and sent me the link, now apparently we’re canceling everything because I’m venting to strangers on the internet . I guess he didn’t like what he read! Oops!

sounds like you won, too easy

e:

quote:

My son asked me today what we’re doing for thanksgiving this year. I told him I wasn’t feeling well and probably something simple from the store. He said if I tell him how, he’ll cook thanksgiving dinner. Pathetic that I get offers for help from a 14 year old kid but not my full grown partner.

I’ve been so blind and dumb these past few years.

lol

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I don't know why, but a 14-year old boy offering to cook an entire thanksgiving dinner and just wanting instructions hits me in the same spot as the feel good stories about disaster lesbians finally getting together and kids coming out to supportive parents.

good kid

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I don't know why, but a 14-year old boy offering to cook an entire thanksgiving dinner and just wanting instructions hits me in the same spot as the feel good stories about disaster lesbians finally getting together and kids coming out to supportive parents.

good kid

:yeah:

make small thanksgiving with your good child and stuff your husband in the trash

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I don't get this family. If 20 people showed up for dinner at my place and we don't have like, hired cooking staff help and none of the 20 offers to help theres not gonna be dinner for 20.

Like for Spring Festival we usually have 40+ people attending and one person from each familial subunit has to be an all day cooker to make the meal happen. If you don't like baoze for lunch you can loving starve

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Over the years, christmas cooking became pretty much entirely my job when it was our year to host (relatives hosted ever other year). This happened because I like cooking, am pretty decent at it, and the alternative was a very tense day caused by the old christmas cook being extremely irritable.
I used to enjoy it - we have a hostess trolley, which means I never had to be cooking loads of things at the same time to have them ready to serve together. Anyway, over the years, things have gotten increasingly complicated with various family members having special dietary requirements - no gluten, no dairy, vegan, and lately, no salmon, no pork, and frankly, I have had it; I'm not doing it anymore.
Christmas 2019 was shite - tantrums because I served a vegan main; "I need protein at every meal" - she literally brought a little packet of sliced turkey to put on her plate rather than eat the terrible vegan main.
2020 - no shared meal because pandemic was a huge relief, and I've just heard that this year is almost certainly going to be the same.
I am so goddamn relieved.

Whenever things get back to normal, I've made it clear to my own immediate family that if/when we eat together with the other family, we either order a big takeaway or we do some kind of potluck.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Barudak posted:

I don't get this family. If 20 people showed up for dinner at my place and we don't have like, hired cooking staff help and none of the 20 offers to help theres not gonna be dinner for 20.

Like for Spring Festival we usually have 40+ people attending and one person from each familial subunit has to be an all day cooker to make the meal happen. If you don't like baoze for lunch you can loving starve

My friends and I have a New Year's tradition whereby my parents disappear somewhere hot and sunny for the holidays and we all descend on their quite nice house (with permission) for dinner and games and drinks. Everyone participates in the food preparation and cooking process, it's part of the ritual and also it's hard not to participate when the conversation is in the kitchen and it's obvious who isn't pulling their weight.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

rabies and tetanus, man. If you suspect you were exposed just get the shot. However bad you think shots are, rabies and tetanus are worse.

I've had several tetanus shots in my life (FYI reminds me 2021 is supposed to be when I renew them), what's supposed to be worse about those than any other vaccination?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

His Divine Shadow posted:

I've had several tetanus shots in my life (FYI reminds me 2021 is supposed to be when I renew them), what's supposed to be worse about those than any other vaccination?

Getting tetanus or rabies is worse than any shot could be.