Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

Ion being a spook would make some sense on account of how lousy he is at his job

that would raise some fun questions about WilmerHale

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Vile Rat, Brown Moses, Taryn Fivek, Ion Hasikostas... hmm, probably nothing. Who cares about a dead gay comedy forum? :wink:

thinking about that Newsweek (lol) article from last year about 60k+ people currently working jobs undercover

"signature reduction"

quote:

The largest undercover force the world has ever known is the one created by the Pentagon over the past decade. Some 60,000 people now belong to this secret army, many working under masked identities and in low profile, all part of a broad program called "signature reduction." The force, more than ten times the size of the clandestine elements of the CIA, carries out domestic and foreign assignments, both in military uniforms and under civilian cover, in real life and online, sometimes hiding in private businesses and consultancies, some of them household name companies.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Did you guys not play The Division?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Stevie Lee posted:

thinking about that Newsweek (lol) article from last year about 60k+ people currently working jobs undercover

"signature reduction"

Yeah that's the good poo poo.

BTW non-state actors can be Infiltrators and provocateurs too.

I just wish people would like just look up the people they're quoting sometimes. I've just seen so many of the "gnosticism" comment sections online turn into religiously themed hate speech because people internalized whatever they're "intrigued" by and Nazis exploit that internalized logic.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/ChillStableGuy/status/1461104074934398980

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

When it comes to MMOs and intelligence, I remember seeing odd, seemingly coded messages in Ingress while protests and unrest were happening in Egypt. Ingress was developed by Niantic Labs, whose CEO John Hanke previously ran Google's Geo division, which was built on technology they got from the acquisition Keyhole, Inc. where he was CEO, which was a failing company until they got a huge infusion of cash from In-Q-Tel, which is a known CIA investment firm.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
isn't Ingress's whole vibe conspiracy poo poo? it would make more sense to me they were using it to mass harvest location data rather than passing secret messages

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

GWBBQ posted:

When it comes to MMOs and intelligence, I remember seeing odd, seemingly coded messages in Ingress while protests and unrest were happening in Egypt. Ingress was developed by Niantic Labs, whose CEO John Hanke previously ran Google's Geo division, which was built on technology they got from the acquisition Keyhole, Inc. where he was CEO, which was a failing company until they got a huge infusion of cash from In-Q-Tel, which is a known CIA investment firm.

crepeface posted:

isn't Ingress's whole vibe conspiracy poo poo? it would make more sense to me they were using it to mass harvest location data rather than passing secret messages

hillary has NO IDEA who is behind pokemon go...but shes trying to figure out how to make em do pokemon go to the polls

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK
Pokémon Go being some intelligence gathering program a decade in the making is like the type of thing I would expect Nathan Fielder to suggest

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

Torpor posted:

Pokémon Go being some intelligence gathering program a decade in the making is like the type of thing I would expect Nathan Fielder to suggest

I thought the whole point of Pokemon go was to get photos of places that only natives could get into

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Pokemon Go was already the second-order product.

Ingress was the one that gathered all the location data, that Pokemon Go later used as a basis for all of its gyms and harvesting points.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

niantic's infrastructure serves a couple of valuable data collection points.

you get information on locations and waypoints and points of interest, the basic geographic data that empowers our warriors on the modern battlespace. so its a global map of important places and locations, of signs and locations to navigate by, or key places to surveil or expect resistance.

you get information on individuals and groups. both their specific movements, but also how do the crowds move. again lots of valuable uses for trying to predict where might have no one to witness something, or where to target and expect crowds or traffic.

you also get to leverage those devices to collect additional data on their surroundings. from the plain things like mapping the elevation of the area to things like mapping the nearby election devices broadcasting on wifi or bluetooth.

the National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency, which supposedly funded keyhole early, provides these sorts of data platforms as services to the other intelligence agencies, like NRO runs satellites and provides imagery services.

so a tool that lets the CIA ask NGIA "give us the list of the top 15 places in each town to put graffiti" or "show us where around this city has the least likelihood of someone being within earshot at 3am" is the only kind of success that ladder climbers at NGIA can look to pin their resumes on. improving a map so we don't bomb the chinese embassy again just doesnt have the same vibe.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

GWBBQ posted:

now we're cooking with gas

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
if you want to skip to the end, the video game industry, just like music, and film, and tv, news media, and academia is controlled by satanic CIA pedophile billionaires

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

The Saucer Hovers posted:

hillary has NO IDEA who is behind pokemon go...but shes trying to figure out how to make em do pokemon go to the polls

i noticed the 3d models on Google maps improved significantly after that game came out. imagine if the NSA wanted pictures of a certain area so they just put a Pokemon and random people just show up and do it for them

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Trabisnikof posted:

niantic's infrastructure serves a couple of valuable data collection points.

you get information on locations and waypoints and points of interest, the basic geographic data that empowers our warriors on the modern battlespace. so its a global map of important places and locations, of signs and locations to navigate by, or key places to surveil or expect resistance.

you get information on individuals and groups. both their specific movements, but also how do the crowds move. again lots of valuable uses for trying to predict where might have no one to witness something, or where to target and expect crowds or traffic.

you also get to leverage those devices to collect additional data on their surroundings. from the plain things like mapping the elevation of the area to things like mapping the nearby election devices broadcasting on wifi or bluetooth.

the National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency, which supposedly funded keyhole early, provides these sorts of data platforms as services to the other intelligence agencies, like NRO runs satellites and provides imagery services.

so a tool that lets the CIA ask NGIA "give us the list of the top 15 places in each town to put graffiti" or "show us where around this city has the least likelihood of someone being within earshot at 3am" is the only kind of success that ladder climbers at NGIA can look to pin their resumes on. improving a map so we don't bomb the chinese embassy again just doesnt have the same vibe.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Pokemon Go locations were taken directly from Ingress, which started out with Historical Marker Database locations and post offices. Location tracking is the obvious thing, but there's a lot more that it turned into. Ingress had (and presumably still has some of) an obsessive player base and people did some crazy poo poo (sneaking across the Sinai/Gaza border and sneaking into a Russian closed city that was off limits due to chemical weapons research come to mind). There was also the decoding (code breaking, puzzle solving, stuff like that) aspect, which I was part of. As far as submitting portals, it generated huge amounts of data as far as both locating things and seeing how far people would fudge the locations of known things to put them in range of their desk/house/places they would be. There were portals on military bases and places only accessible with security clearance that were huge points of contention.

I haven't played except for a few minutes here and there for a few years, but even looking at it now, this is what the map looks like. Every one of those links requires people from both locations to physically meet up and exchange portal keys

For a game run by a guy with intelligence connections, it's a wealth of data. I don't know poo poo about Pokemon Go, but I imagine the gameplay encourages its own kind of interactions that can be data harvested.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

there is a pokemon go gym across the street from my house. it is located on an old inscription in a sidewalk. the only way it could ever change is if it were torn out or filled in, but its handled the last century just fine.

even still the game wants me to photograph it. very often. sometimes it offers pretty good items to go do it.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
the six principles of signature reduction: credibility, compatibility, realism, supportability, verity and compliance.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Ace of Baes posted:

if you want to skip to the end, the video game industry, just like music, and film, and tv, news media, and academia is controlled by satanic CIA pedophile billionaires

Just because the Cold War ended doesn't mean they can pack their suitcase and leave. And this poo poo is probably going to get dumber if we try to saber-rattle China harder.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

The Saucer Hovers posted:

there is a pokemon go gym across the street from my house. it is located on an old inscription in a sidewalk. the only way it could ever change is if it were torn out or filled in, but its handled the last century just fine.

even still the game wants me to photograph it. very often. sometimes it offers pretty good items to go do it.
OK, that's way more aggressive than Ingress, they just left it to obsessive or dedicated players to do it ourselves. I guess Pokemon is geared toward a younger audience and more actively trying to get them to go places.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Used Pokemon go to get fit walking around the Seattle area in 2018-2019

Good to know i was probably aiding the future downfall of chaz or some poo poo probably

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
just the stuff you can do with off the shelf consumer location data is bonkers. like they're all like "oh yeah we hash the device ID and jiggle the points for anonymity", but it's trivial to mash it up with other data and identify individuals, given enough data points.

and if you assume that the IC has chip-level backdoor access to everything, the data they're working with must be 1000x better.

btw this is why I was asking about jeff sessions (and people in his orbit) re: epstine a while back.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/keithposting/status/1461020419159465989

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Perv Spoof Bosses Axe Wrestling

(man, I love Brass Eye)

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Stevie Lee posted:

"signature reduction"

I haven't been back since the Trump years, but I assume the area around Alexandria is still full of pizza places that don't sell pizza.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

alexandria is one of the most purely masonic places on the planet its creppy as hell

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Ace of Baes posted:

yes and I love reading about it, but it seems like sports gets a pass. there’s larry nasser and the ioc and boxing, but what about the nfl, nba, and college fb/bb

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Can't speak for the wider league but you'll never convince me Jerry Jones doesn't drink children's adrenochrome-enriched blood. I have no proof but I am right.

Edit: that Robert Kraft affair is maybe worth wider investigation.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

wasn't the woman who jacked off Bobby kraft like 50? pretty cool how that was all just swept under the table

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

There were also a bunch of connections between the owner and various shady poo poo. Never could tell if the supposed connections to Chinese intelligence was some kind of weird racism or actually legit.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
I bet Roger Goodell's closet is just bursting to full with skeletons.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Perry Mason Jar posted:

I bet Roger Goodell's closet is just bursting to full with skeletons.

Literal or allegorical?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Literal or allegorical?

why not both.jpg

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
yeah I'm sure there's all kinds of poo poo with those billionaires but they don't seem to make epstein news as much? idk

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

i am shocked this is my shocked face

https://twitter.com/JasGarsd/status/1461415627646767107

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

i'm a pretty chill guy. pretty even keel.

but whenever something like this comes out, it - or actually the reaction to it - sends me into a lizard-like rage, just rocking back and forth with my mouth open, hissing

"ah well it was a different time"

NO motherfucker, it's STILL HAPPENING with EVERYTHING all of THE TIME

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Centrist Committee posted:

yes and I love reading about it, but it seems like sports gets a pass. there’s larry nasser and the ioc and boxing, but what about the nfl, nba, and college fb/bb

the nhl is currently undergoing a huge scandal where coaches are caught raping and assaulting high school aged recruits.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

the nhl is currently undergoing a huge scandal where coaches are caught raping and assaulting high school aged recruits.

it’s hierarchies bro! it’s always a hierarchy, authority figures you gotta look up to, with built in minion grooming processes. Mormon church, MLMs, overserious regional youth sports
leagues, any fraternal organization, all just rife with insane abuse and coverups. it cannot be otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

selec posted:

it’s hierarchies bro! it’s always a hierarchy, authority figures you gotta look up to, with built in minion grooming processes. Mormon church, MLMs, overserious regional youth sports
leagues, any fraternal organization, all just rife with insane abuse and coverups. it cannot be otherwise.

/