Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Ever since I found out about MusicisWin he's rocketed up the list of music youtubers I dislike the most and is in the top two. It's likely an unfair assessment on my part; but to me he is the epitome of boring bland white noise dad rock. The Have Heart lyric video was the perfect hilarious example of this and I wish I'd saved it before he took it down out of embarrassment. That and the wall of PRS sponsored guitars and slick production make him feel really.... fake? I guess is the best way to describe the vibe I get off him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

The worst thing your can do to a “content creator” is ignore them. Let him die on the vine.
Hate watch if you want, but that just seems unhealthy.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Oh I don't bother watching him and a few others. Just the insipidness of that particular song got to me.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

I only watch Phil McKnight and I pretend he's my dad

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Pat Finnerty is streaming. Post Kravitz bowl.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5d2ZszC0CI

In 12 minutes as of this edit he's going to do a live little stinker

stratdax fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Nov 12, 2021

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Automatic Slim posted:

The worst thing your can do to a “content creator” is ignore them. Let him die on the vine.
Hate watch if you want, but that just seems unhealthy.

I mean I don’t care if rewatching Have Heart and lolling at it puts bread on his table. It’s not like he’s a neo Nazi or something.

That strange guy
Dec 14, 2014

It's not strange if we never mention it again.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
MusicIsWin is a fantastic example of someone who worked hard to become a skilled guitarist while having no talent for music. Music needs to be felt as much as practiced, and he clearly has no feel for it.

I think he's fascinating, like a hundred pound colon in a museum of medical curiosities, but somehow shittier.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.
It's the natural end product of gamification of art.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Everyone I know who plays like that learned on guitar hero or rock band where you either hit the note or didn't. Analog rhythm games when

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

I think its also a product of the bedroom studio thing.

People have had PODs and even with the money AX-FX and easy access to recording software and drum machines (Superior Drummer and the like) for over a decade now.

It means that playing to metronomes and clicks and stuff is way more of a thing now then playing "in the pocket" or to a natural groove in a live rehearsal setting. Especially with these youtube people who are writing and producing all this stuff at home on their own.

It makes for very precise and technical playing but it can seem sanitized and dull because its all about being machine accurate.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Everything about Music Is Win seems like it was designed in a lab specifically to annoy me. Especially the name. Naming the channel after such a short lived fad (that's win / that's fail) that wasn't funny or cool even at the height of its popularity, and which should be beyond embarrassing now, seems emblematic of the channel. The guy doesn't see the forest for the trees.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
i don't like his videos but i'm glad a fellow guitar player found a niche to make dummy paper

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

The new SA Xmas album thread is up. Go make some stupid christmas songs!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3983685

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

sporklift posted:

The new SA Xmas album thread is up. Go make some stupid christmas songs!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3983685

O poo poo I call "Let It Snow"

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Dr. Faustus posted:

O poo poo I call "Let It Snow"

I was doing my own loving tribute to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tI0o4WwpXTY this year anyway with this one as a maybe final candidate (as in really, how much time should I spend further polishing a musical shitpost)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUCXQZtdeQM

For the "Stupid music poo poo" thread part here I am:
- Two amps
- Probably 20 guitar pedals
- Assortment of mics perfect for recording

What do I do? Say "gently caress it", plug my guitar straight into the mixer, use Ableton's stock cab simulators and fart out three note blues sounds in three attempts, say "sure, good enough" and post it.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

http://www.fishguitar.com/guitars.html

That strange guy
Dec 14, 2014

It's not strange if we never mention it again.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Yeah, me too.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
These nips go to 11.

polynominal-c
Jan 18, 2003

Joe Bonamassa-angel with additional chromosomes?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Joe bonnamassa angel would be wearing sunglasses.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Double neck guitars are stupid music poo poo. This might be the dumbest one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5OXbchaWKo

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

stillvisions posted:

I was doing my own loving tribute to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tI0o4WwpXTY this year anyway with this one as a maybe final candidate (as in really, how much time should I spend further polishing a musical shitpost)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUCXQZtdeQM

For the "Stupid music poo poo" thread part here I am:
- Two amps
- Probably 20 guitar pedals
- Assortment of mics perfect for recording

What do I do? Say "gently caress it", plug my guitar straight into the mixer, use Ableton's stock cab simulators and fart out three note blues sounds in three attempts, say "sure, good enough" and post it.

Hell yeah. I get heavy maggot brain vibes from those notes.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

thats a good deal

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

It’s a good pattern for that except for the absurd strings and pickups

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Snowy posted:

It’s a good pattern for that except for the absurd strings and pickups

You could make a whole matching set but the pickups/strings got to go.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

this would be awesome if it wasn't for the front bit

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
There are certain shirts I don't wear to metal shows (bolt thrower and that bloodbath one that looks like the cover of entombed's left hand path) because I know from experience that I'm going to get punished multiple times by drunk middle aged death metal dudes that want to tell me their favourite incantion albums in order as if I give a gently caress, and anyway that dress is going to result in many times worse punishment for whoever decides to wear it

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Spanish Manlove posted:

this would be awesome if it wasn't for the front bit

They didn't even bother trying to get it right did they?

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the compositional quality of new music is terrible compared to what was released 10 years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNYuq3d1T8I

name a modern song that's even close :coronatoot: shh there are none

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Stupid poo poo of the day, due to new IRS rules Reverb will be reporting all sellers who make over $600 in 2022. This is all because they take credit cards and the sellers are being paid with funds that came in that way. You will also receive a 1099-K for "Payment Card and Third Part Network Transactions" which you will need to have for your taxes. This year the limit was $22,000 or 200 transactions, it drops to $600 with no minimum transactions on Jan 1. Guess I'll be pulling down all my listings and going cash only on some other platform.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.

widefault posted:

Stupid poo poo of the day, due to new IRS rules Reverb will be reporting all sellers who make over $600 in 2022. This is all because they take credit cards and the sellers are being paid with funds that came in that way. You will also receive a 1099-K for "Payment Card and Third Part Network Transactions" which you will need to have for your taxes. This year the limit was $22,000 or 200 transactions, it drops to $600 with no minimum transactions on Jan 1. Guess I'll be pulling down all my listings and going cash only on some other platform.

eBay is doing the same thing- I've been shoveling, non-music, stuff out the door

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

can't wait for thrift and junk stores to start having cool poo poo in them again instead of it all getting sucked up onto the internet by flippers

fartman
Sep 19, 2021

hexwren posted:

can't wait for thrift and junk stores to start having cool poo poo in them again instead of it all getting sucked up onto the internet by flippers

Huh, hadn’t considered that. Thanks Joe Biden!

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

fartman posted:

Huh, hadn’t considered that. Thanks Joe Biden!

I know you're just making a joke but I think the tax law change was snuck by in one of the covid stimulus relief packages, so it's a Trump thing. I'm surprised that Reverb just announced it now, Ebay, Etsy, and Paypal themselves have been gearing up for it or are in position to comply. I too have stopped selling my old crap on the internet, it was getting to be a drag running to the post office frequently anyways.

edit: Looking forward to the wailing and gnashing of teeth by the flippers who get caught by it in 2023.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

Turbinosamente posted:

I know you're just making a joke but I think the tax law change was snuck by in one of the covid stimulus relief packages, so it's a Trump thing. I'm surprised that Reverb just announced it now, Ebay, Etsy, and Paypal themselves have been gearing up for it or are in position to comply. I too have stopped selling my old crap on the internet, it was getting to be a drag running to the post office frequently anyways.

edit: Looking forward to the wailing and gnashing of teeth by the flippers who get caught by it in 2023.

It's a Biden thing, part of the American Rescue Plan from March.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

NC Wyeth Death Cult posted:

eBay is doing the same thing- I've been shoveling, non-music, stuff out the door

I think all online selling platforms are having to do it. Kinda sucks because there doesn't seem to be a way to prove that you aren't making a profit. I sell old stuff to get rid of it and most stuff I sell is at a loss or break even.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

widefault posted:

It's a Biden thing, part of the American Rescue Plan from March.

My mistake, the last two years have been one big blur.