Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
just lost my granddad. he was an incredible boxer who said his best job was being the primary sparring partner for the lightweight european champion back in the 60's. he took the job after he killed a man in the ring and could never throw a full force punch again. wishing all boxing fans some love and safety in their lives and hope they truly appreciate the spectacle of two men putting it all on the line - in some rare circumstances very literally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
That’s a hard loving way to become a full time sparring partner, sorry for your loss.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Marching Powder posted:

just lost my granddad. he was an incredible boxer who said his best job was being the primary sparring partner for the lightweight european champion back in the 60's. he took the job after he killed a man in the ring and could never throw a full force punch again. wishing all boxing fans some love and safety in their lives and hope they truly appreciate the spectacle of two men putting it all on the line - in some rare circumstances very literally.

Dang, he sounds badass. Sorry for your loss.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

Marching Powder posted:

That is a hell of a life and good on him for seeming to find a way to make peace with it. Sorry for your loss

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Lid posted:

In regional boxing news Australia is hyping up Tim Tszyu, the son of the legendary Kostya Tszyu. The issue is its all cans and he most recently went to a decision with a 40 year old K1 kickboxer.

Tszyu is legit imo. He his opposition was lacklustre during the pandemic cause he could really only fight other Australians and New Zealanders, but there was talk to get him in against Teixeira when he still had a belt. I think Tszyu will get a good fight eventually. Whether he rises to the occasion is another thing, but his abilities are definitely better than the regional level even though he hasn’t fought beyond there yet

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

Marching Powder posted:

RIP.

Canelo and Makabu have already had their initial face off lol. Guy isn’t wasting time anyway.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
appreciate the condolences internet friends. it's weirdly nice to receive.

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Canelo and Makabu have already had their initial face off lol. Guy isn’t wasting time anyway.

taking zero time to put on weight. well done canelo for getting me invested in one of your fights.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Marching Powder posted:

That's cool as hell, and my deep sympathies but my deep congratulations for also having that in your soul.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Marching Powder posted:

just lost my granddad. he was an incredible boxer who said his best job was being the primary sparring partner for the lightweight european champion back in the 60's. he took the job after he killed a man in the ring and could never throw a full force punch again.

Having (in many of our cases, having had) a rock solid grandfather is such a good thing in life.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Demetrius Andrade is one of boxing’s biggest wastes of talent of all time.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Chris Mannix unironically called Jermall Charlo-Demetrius Andrade the biggest fight that could be made in boxing. Truly an example of someone committing to a bit to hard they end up believing it.

https://twitter.com/DanCanobbio/status/1461911397349142531?t=xXJendkC5JooSOjvXe9NGw&s=19

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Flesnolk posted:

Yes. The rule isn't ten seconds, it's the ref's count to ten.

I never understood why the ref doesn't just have a stop watch.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

The SituAsian posted:

Chris Mannix unironically called Jermall Charlo-Demetrius Andrade the biggest fight that could be made in boxing.

:lol: There's no Pacquiao-Mayweather out there right now, that's for sure. Fury-Joshua is probably the biggest that could be made, but even that wouldn't be one of the great ones.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

BiggerBoat posted:

I never understood why the ref doesn't just have a stop watch.

Because its not 10 seconds, its a 10 count

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Andrade vs Charlo (or GGG for that matter) would be a pretty good fight all memes aside.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

drat this the best Shawn Porter ever looked. The two headbutts are unfortunate.

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

goddamn bud

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Bud is unreal. Stopped maybe the best Porter I’ve ever seen.

Shawn is pissed but he’s going to thank his dad for that one day.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

Fair stoppage. Porter wasn't all that hurt but that round would've put him a huge hole and Crawford-along with Canelo and Inoue-is one of the best finishers in the game. It would've been more more emphatically in a few seconds.

EDIT: Of course Porter was hurt, he got knocked down twice, but it's not he was stumbling all over the place.

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Nov 21, 2021

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

drat I feel for Shawn Porter. Bud Crawford is something else.

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

it looks like his dad threw in the towel, and given the way that round was going, especially w/ the way porter reacted after that second knockdown, i don't blame him

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Lol goddamn Kenny laying it all out there

hrollins
May 20, 2003
Radio Friendly Unit Shifter

sportsgenius86 posted:

Lol goddamn Kenny laying it all out there

Kenny is like my son sucked, sucks to suck

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
I had Porter up 2 points on the cards going into the 10th. Crawford really did not look very comfortable all fight until he caught Porter with the first knockdown at the end.

Good win for Crawford, but he looked vulnerable to me. He gets hit too often to be so inactive and lackadaisical in fights. I've always thought Errol Spence beats Crawford, but the older they both get, I think the scales tip further in Spence's favour. Anyways, I cling to the faint hope that that fight is next, or at least occurs in 2022.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I thought Crawford really solidly took over the fight after having a dicey opening. Round 6 and on, Crawford was in control. Maybe each round wasn’t emphatic but I felt like he was getting Porter’s timing down and shutting the door as it went on and I don’t really think there was much Porter could do to reverse that. From there it was just a matter of time until he broke through and as we all know, Crawford is a great finisher.

Porter didn’t seem like he was out on his feet but I think the stoppage timing was decent. His dad throwing him under the bus like that in the post fight interview sucked though.

I think Crawford is the best welterweight in the world right now. Spence fight is a toss up but I’m never ever betting against Crawford.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
https://twitter.com/MichaelBensonn/status/1462293756770664453

Not sure why Weisfeld's card is cut off-seems to be same for every other version of this Tweet I see-but it's 86-85 Crawford.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Cigar Aficionado posted:

I had Porter up 2 points on the cards going into the 10th.
lmao

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Porter announced his retirement and Crawford announced he's parting ways with Top Rank. Both pretty significant for the division. It's about time Crawford got away from Top Rank, hopefully he signs a deal with a PBC friendly promotion.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Upcoming significant fights for the rest of the year and some brief thoughts on some of them:

Teofimo Lopez vs George Kambosos Jr, Nov. 27: Lopez will not have fought in over a year by the time this fight happens, essentially squandering the momentum he captured from his win over Lomachenko. Hopefully Lopez can make a statement in this fight and then move on to bigger and better things next year.

Stephen Fulton Jr vs Brandon Figueroa, Nov. 27: This is for title unification at junior featherweight that is a sneaky can't miss fight. Both guys are undefeated, and while Fulton is the betting favourite, Figueroa is a fellow titlist and as live an underdog as they come; coming off a knockout of the undefeated Luis Nery in his last fight. Try to catch this one live.

Devin Haney vs Joseph Diaz Jr, Dec. 4: Diaz is a good fighter but Haney is almost certainly too good for him. I'd expect this fight to be similar to Diaz' 117-111 type of loss to Gary Russell Jr, maybe even a bit wider than that.

Gervonta Davis vs Isaac Cruz, Dec. 5: Back to lightweight for Davis after securing a minor "title" at 140 pounds. Cruz is fairly unheralded despite his only loss coming early in his career. I would expect Davis to roll here.

Conor Benn vs Chris Algieri, Dec. 11: Algieri is probably better known as a sports nutritionist than a boxer these days. I'm not sure how good Benn is, but if he can't win at least a lopsided decision here, it will be telling.

Vasyl Lomachenko vs Richard Commey, Dec. 11: Lomachenko is almost 34 years old and fighting above his natural weight. Commey, a titlist level talent in his own right, will be a great barometer of how much Loma really has left. I expect a good fight now that Loma is slightly shopworn.

Nonito Donaire vs Reymart Gaballo, Dec. 11: Gaballo is 24-0 with 20 KOs and Donaire is a 40 year old bantamweight, so really anything could happen here, depending on how much Donaire has left.

Artur Beterbiev vs Marcus Browne, Dec. 17: Beterbiev looked a bit off in his last fight, and is almost 37 years old, whereas Browne is only 31 and a slick, world class level operator. He was dropped multiple times against Jean Pascal a couple of years ago though, so he's potentially vulnerable. This is an intriguing fight to me, and Browne is a live dog if Beterbiev has actually lost a step.

Joseph Parker vs Derek Chisora 2, Dec. 18: I thought Chisora probably won their first encounter, but you know, boxing. Chisora runs out of gas in the second half of fights these days, but Parker is completely unremarkable as a fighter. I expect another close fight with Parker getting the (potentially dubious) decision. Parker to me is a future divisional gatekeeper and not much more than that.

Gennady Golovkin vs Ryota Murata, Dec. 29: Golovkin's almost 40 years old and hasn't done much since "losing" to Canelo in their second fight, but he should still have enough in the tank to beat Murata. I'm not interested in GGG-Canelo 3, but wouldn't mind seeing Golovkin against either Jermall Charlo or Demetrius Andrade in 2022, assuming he beats Murata here.

Naoya Inoue is also fighting on December 14th in a stay busy fight. 2020 and 2021 will basically be write-offs for him, hopefully he can get some bigger fights going next year. Same story for Dmitry Bivol and his stay busy fight on December 11th.

Cigar Aficionado fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Nov 23, 2021

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Nice write up. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing Lopez, Loma, Haney and Davis back in action, hopefully we'll see some movement among those fighters toward facing each other. I'm also looking forward to Beterbiev vs Browne, which I expect to be entertaining and competitive. 2021 has all in all been a pretty good year for fights even if we had a lot of bullshit getting in the way of the bigger events we expected.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I’m considering going to see Beterbiev vs Browne live

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Triller's weird thing is tonight, featuring a fighting surface stolen entirely from combat sports pioneer, Dada5000

I guess I am looking forward to Frank Mir throwing his One Combo and seeing if that still works in this, the year of our lord, 2021

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
This Teo fight is spicy as hell

Troxartas
Jan 13, 2007

The Old Warhorse

blue footed boobie posted:

This Teo fight is spicy as hell

big time

Backdoor Delivery
Nov 15, 2004

one cool dude

2 Time TRP Sack Race Champion
This fight rules

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005
When a man lies he murders some part of the world. These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives. All this I cannot bear to witness any longer. Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?

Well that was a hell of a fight.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I have some bad news,

I'm afraid the Australian Boxing Hype Machine will now begin to hype this lad as better than god.

Clevername Lookhere
Jan 9, 2006
Wow I still think the Aussie fight was better so far but Figueroa Fulton giving it a run for its money

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Lol at Figueroa's response to that decision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clevername Lookhere
Jan 9, 2006
Deja vu

https://twitter.com/DAZNBoxing/status/1464821733639299074