Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Schubalts posted:

Isn't that exactly what sturdy work gloves are for.

Just strapping on my work caestus before my shift starts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Cleretic posted:

With dubs generally now being as accurate and faithful as possible, I want a sub group to do the opposite, and brutally Americanize stories as much as possible. Fansubs that revive the 'Jelly Donuts' era of anime.

I think I'd like to see subs that brutalise american shows to make them french or korean or something.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

The Lone Badger posted:

I think I'd like to see subs that brutalise american shows to make them french or korean or something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JH4YIXfNeA

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

This is excellent, thank you

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Hel posted:

Wasn't that what the Squid Game dubtitles were?

They kept most of the Korean stuff in, they just had really bad actors and dubbing over live action Asian media is distracting in general because the mouth movements aren’t even close.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Henchman of Santa posted:

They kept most of the Korean stuff in, they just had really bad actors and dubbing over live action Asian media is distracting in general because the mouth movements aren’t even close.

I think they're referencing the bad subtitles which left some key words out and didn't translate idioms properly which changed a character's motivation and backstory pretty significantly.

Like, instead of "I couldn't afford to go to a fancy university like you but..." it was translated as "I'm not very smart but..." iirc.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

They also used 'babe' as a translation of 'oppa' which is... interesting, but kinda suited what they were looking for with that particular character? So hey.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
I think it wasn't the subtitles that were bad, it was the closed captioning that was done as you watched it. Like 2 people on 2 different devices each getting different text.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Obvious bullshit and factual errors aside, I have concerns for the safety of anyone who sees synthwave neckbeard mohawk Ken here and thinks "BADASS" but they were probably gonna get their head dunked in a toilet regardless

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

pretty soft girl posted:

Obvious bullshit and factual errors aside, I have concerns for the safety of anyone who sees synthwave neckbeard mohawk Ken here and thinks "BADASS" but they were probably gonna get their head dunked in a toilet regardless

That's Kevin Smith. Clerks 3 gonna be weird.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

pretty soft girl posted:

I refuse to believe this isn't parody.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
Seems like a Tim and Eric skit

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

One of the podcasts I listen to has had this company advertising on it lately and it loving sucks

Improbable Lobster has a new favorite as of 01:41 on Nov 19, 2021

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

Improbable Lobster posted:

One of the podcasts I listen to has had this company advertising on it lately and it loving sucks

Listen to better podcasts

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Hokkaido Anxiety posted:

Listen to better podcasts

no

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Don't listen to podcasts

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

ContinuityNewTimes posted:

Don't listen to podcasts

But they're my surrogate friends

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Don't listen to podcasts

but i like my serialized fiction

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Don't listen to podcasts

Heynong man

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I like those cool rings that are, like, woven or have wood in them. I also love toxic masculinity. I use dude wipes.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Don't listen to podcasts

No, they're the only place I can hear someone actually do the numbers on how strong the narration in Jojo's Bizarre Adventure says the characters are.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

pretty soft girl posted:

I'm pretty sure getting hit by that pudgy fist is actually going to be comfortable.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

pretty soft girl posted:

I'm really glad that I scrolled slowly enough that I didn't see the image until after I'd finished reading the obviously bullshit text

because it's just :discourse: and I actually cackled out loud

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Roblo posted:

I'm pretty sure getting hit by that pudgy fist is actually going to be comfortable.

This motherfucker throws pillows, he'll put you to sleep. Nighty-night, bitch.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
He holds the forbidden knowledge of the Five Finger Clit/Brown/Taint-area Punch

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Grumio posted:

Not a dumb marketing move per se, but whenever I see Sherwin Williams' logo it reminds me of some kind of supervillain league:

I remember exactly where the sign was when I was a kid, and I thought exactly the same thing. Supervillain league. I didn't remember that the paint is actually blood red. Now it looks like a lazy political cartoon to me. I bet somebody's done one where they just change the paint can to say "SJW."

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

pretty soft girl posted:

It actually is traditional in America to learn your martial arts from a guy with weird hair and a made up backstory. See "Count Dante" who advertised in comic books that he could teach you the touch of death.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
It worked in Kung Fu Hustle.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Mescal posted:

I remember exactly where the sign was when I was a kid, and I thought exactly the same thing. Supervillain league. I didn't remember that the paint is actually blood red. Now it looks like a lazy political cartoon to me. I bet somebody's done one where they just change the paint can to say "SJW."
The bad guys are very good at politically cartooning themselves.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

muscles like this! posted:

It actually is traditional in America to learn your martial arts from a guy with weird hair and a made up backstory. See "Count Dante" who advertised in comic books that he could teach you the touch of death.

I mean yeah but I don't think anyone's seriously bought into mail order kung fu in decades so it was surprising to see this in the modern day form

The guy in the picture isn't even the instructor, me and my JKD buddies think the guy contracted with an ad agency who said "this is all bullshit so let's make the ad as dumb as possible to troll martial arts nerds into clicking it to make our hit rate seem real good" (in fairness it worked for me)

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

peopleonstreets

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

mactheknife posted:

peopleonstreets

Deedee Megadoodoo

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

mactheknife posted:

peopleonstreets

Sir Lemming posted:

Deedee Megadoodoo

Not sure if these are names of podcasts, a hard to parse "Under Pressure" joke, or both (neither?).

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

zedprime posted:

The bad guys are very good at politically cartooning themselves.

Meh, this one is just copying/alluding to a bunch of much older poltical cartoons
1888:

1904:

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Grumio posted:

Not a dumb marketing move per se, but whenever I see Sherwin Williams' logo it reminds me of some kind of supervillain league:

Sherwin Williams used the song "Weakest Shade of Blue" by the Pernice Brothers in an ad (in 2009, apparently), which is a weird choice for a paint company. Good song though. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRlEd7ZrTG8

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

muscles like this! posted:

Let's not forget Frank Dux, who managed to get his made up backstory portrayed by JCVD himself

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Qylvaran posted:

Not sure if these are names of podcasts, a hard to parse "Under Pressure" joke, or both (neither?).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Of_Apo0hcik
I don't get the jokes, I just wanted an excuse to post this in remembrance

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Hector Delgado posted:

I think it wasn't the subtitles that were bad, it was the closed captioning that was done as you watched it. Like 2 people on 2 different devices each getting different text.

Yeah, I got informed of it while watching myself and looked into the differences. Netflix will default to the Korean language audio, but with the subtitles coming from the English dub's closed captioning that reworks the dialogue to fit the mouth movements. If you change from "English [CC]" to just "English" subtitles, you'll get as close as they could to a direct translation of the Korean.

There's still stuff that isn't fully translated. Ali calls Sang-woo "Sang-hyung" at one point, which would mean viewing him as a sort of older brother figure as Sang-woo encourages him to for their partnership. Gganbu is potentially not a real word and left untranslated because it's a plot point when it appears.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

pretty soft girl posted:

I mean yeah but I don't think anyone's seriously bought into mail order kung fu in decades so it was surprising to see this in the modern day form

The guy in the picture isn't even the instructor, me and my JKD buddies think the guy contracted with an ad agency who said "this is all bullshit so let's make the ad as dumb as possible to troll martial arts nerds into clicking it to make our hit rate seem real good" (in fairness it worked for me)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Meh, this one is just copying/alluding to a bunch of much older poltical cartoons
1888:

1904:

It apparently started as an inside joke about how a component nicknamed 'the octopus' was taking over the satellite development project.