Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

BioEnchanted posted:

Dragon Quest 11's early game can feel a bit frustrating, like you aren't really accomplishing anything, because all you are doing for the most part is chasing the Rainbough across the entire world so that you can finally find out what the actual plot is. I'm hoping I'm nearly done with this bit as I'm now at Gondolia

Keep in mind that the game has 3 acts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I only played the first SMT but the plot was wild even for a JRPG. Dug it though.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

sephiRoth IRA posted:

No

I say this as someone who gave them money

Lets see you stay on your high horse when they re-release heroin in 4k or whatever

They released an old version of heroin. Like, heroin has gone through way more iterations and gotten progressively better, and here they are saying "hey remember this good stuff from decades ago?" Nah grandpa, new heroin takes you to space this old poo poo just makes things look pretty or whatever. Sure you put it in a shiny new bag but it's still the regular stuff.

Forgot what I was talking about but anyway I am genuinely curious what kinds of sales D2 is seeing from people who weren't around to play the original.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Cleretic posted:

Your player character does start with a weakness to one of them, though.

I actually don't see any slowdown in SMTV or anything, so I don't know what you're all talking about. It's a deliberately slow-paced game, are you somehow mistaking that for running slow?

The game literally locks up for a second when you transition in between menus, everything just freezes. I don't think it's meant to be that way because it doesn't happen all the time just really often

Putting that aside in the overworld I'm constantly hitting 20 frames per second or less, especially if I'm panning around. It's not unmanageable but things get kind of slideshowy if you move the camera a lot

Everything is also just kind of blurry but I think things probably need to get blurrier for the switch to run this at a steady 30 FPS. At least that's what the first patch did and it's supposedly helped performance ( definitely not getting steady 30 FPS on the overworld though)

It runs not great but personally, it's not impacting my experience that much. I definitely notice it but the game is still amazing and I usually adjust/get over the performance after a minute or two of running around

KingSlime has a new favorite as of 04:44 on Nov 16, 2021

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

repeating this because it's important to avoid bouncing off of nioh 2. Just equip whatever gear has the most attack and defense after each level as long as you stay under 70% equip weight. Sell or dismantle or donate everything else. You don't have the options to put together a coherent build from your equipment at that point and you'll be replacing gear so often that it's mostly a waste of time anyway. you'll go insane if you try to read through the endless affixes for "+0.3% money gained from killing poisoned enemies with a grapple in the dark realm"

NG+ (or the DLCs in NG) is around where it's worth the trouble to put a set together.

Try barrier talismans from onmyo magic if the dark zone phases on bosses are giving you grief. they massively boost your stamina regen so they completely undo that dark zone debuff (as a bonus, they also make you destroy yokai realm pools just by touching them so you can choo choo through them to delete them or prevent them from appearing entirely if you're standing next to the boss when they create one). If you won't use barrier talismans then you need to keep sacred water on your hotbar, and get the passive buffs to it from the onmyo tree.
I'd like to not bounce off of it,because I enjoy the gameplay, but I just can't beat this boss. Nothing works. The fight just goes on way, way too long. As soon as I get his snake arms off, he regens new ones and you have to start the fight all over again. His arms grew back 3 god drat times before I gave up and uninstalled. I've watched all the YouTube tutorials, nothing works. After losing 25 fights in a row they should just give you a " kill this boss" option.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Morpheus posted:

They released an old version of heroin. Like, heroin has gone through way more iterations and gotten progressively better, and here they are saying "hey remember this good stuff from decades ago?" Nah grandpa, new heroin takes you to space this old poo poo just makes things look pretty or whatever. Sure you put it in a shiny new bag but it's still the regular stuff.

Forgot what I was talking about but anyway I am genuinely curious what kinds of sales D2 is seeing from people who weren't around to play the original.

Nah og heroin is tip top. Not trolling, I've not found anything that scratches the itch like d2. I'm also 35 and ancient so take that for what it's worth

I'm open to suggestions bit poe is too dense and everything else lacks the dopamine cycle of baal runs

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
The thing that occasionally happens in 3d platformers were you are being chased by something and the camera is in front, looking at both the player character and what you are being chased by; it is often hard too see things that are important in front of you.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Mamkute posted:

The thing that occasionally happens in 3d platformers were you are being chased by something and the camera is in front, looking at both the player character and what you are being chased by; it is often hard too see things that are important in front of you.

how can you call this gameplay bad?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iK9IizQMWoY&t=1369s

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Started playing Vampyr last night.

Games that don't have a manual save of any sort at all can gently caress off, honestly.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

What ever happened to that group? Just grew up and stopped posting?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Probably, it also doesn’t help that some LPers left when Lowtax was a massive prick to VoidBurger.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Far as I know they all still roll in the same general online circle, but haven't done anything together for a long time.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Last Celebration posted:

when Lowtax was a massive prick to VoidBurger.

While I didn't know that happened, I am not remotely surprised.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I'd like to not bounce off of it,because I enjoy the gameplay, but I just can't beat this boss. Nothing works. The fight just goes on way, way too long. As soon as I get his snake arms off, he regens new ones and you have to start the fight all over again. His arms grew back 3 god drat times before I gave up and uninstalled. I've watched all the YouTube tutorials, nothing works. After losing 25 fights in a row they should just give you a " kill this boss" option.

Fights in Nioh only last a long time if you are doing something fundamentally wrong, like ignoring your Yokai Shift form, never using a Burst Counter when the boss flashes red or using your items/spells and buffs/debuffs.

Nioh is Diablo wearing a Dark Souls suit, it's all about the stats.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

marshmallow creep posted:

While I didn't know that happened, I am not remotely surprised.

Half remembering the story but I think Lowtax had his kid on a gaming garbage video and they were making fun of Shmorky and Voidburger, Psychedelic Eyeball and more people I'm sure we're on Twitter talking about it.

No one tagged Lowtax and all the comments boiled down to 'man, having your kid involved with this seems really loving weird' and they ended up getting shadow banned or probated for like 10 years or something. I'm pretty sure that got rescinded when the site ownership swapped over.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
That sucks, Voidburger always seemed fun in the stuff I watched. :(

But I guess she had the last laugh!!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Hedgehog Pie posted:

That sucks, Voidburger always seemed fun in the stuff I watched. :(

But I guess she had the last laugh!!

She works for Giant Bomb now, so yeah, she's doing really well!

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

RareAcumen posted:

Half remembering the story but I think Lowtax had his kid on a gaming garbage video and they were making fun of Shmorky and Voidburger, Psychedelic Eyeball and more people I'm sure we're on Twitter talking about it.

No one tagged Lowtax and all the comments boiled down to 'man, having your kid involved with this seems really loving weird' and they ended up getting shadow banned or probated for like 10 years or something. I'm pretty sure that got rescinded when the site ownership swapped over.

IIRC it went further than that and people accused Lowtax of explicitly putting his kids in danger, and I think this was after the Shmorky stuff came out

"I put your dick in my mouth and do a very good job in that aspect of the scenario"

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
One of void's friends went after lowtax saying he was exploiting his children in making a video where they talk about how weird shmorky made them feel and then after banning that person a few other goons started yelling at lowtax with their twitter accounts that had their SA name so lowtax banned them as well.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

The Lone Badger posted:

IIRC it's about using computers to summon demons in order to kill God.

pretty sure they’re based off of an old horror/sci fi novel where a would-be school shooter is in Japan without access to guns so he kills off his entire high school by programming qabbalistic demon summoning rites into the schools’ lab computers

E: I’ve never actually finished one all the way through because jrpgs are long as hell but I’ve always found the mainline SMT games’ structure of “some idiot somewhere did something they really shouldn’t have, enjoy the post apocalyptic world, it’s much weirder and more surreal and fluid than you could imagine, and you play a major role in reshaping it whether you want to or not” really cool and compelling

Rockman Reserve has a new favorite as of 01:35 on Nov 17, 2021

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Forza Horizon 5 has some of the most extensive interface accessibility options I've seen, which is great, but one thing they forgot (as far as I can tell) is to include a darker background option for text outside of subtitles. A lot of mission-critical details and waypoints are essentially just white text at the top of the screen, meaning I've spent a whole lot of time driving through missions with them being essentially unreadable against the daytime sky.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

Captain Hygiene posted:

Forza Horizon 5 has some of the most extensive interface accessibility options I've seen, which is great, but one thing they forgot (as far as I can tell) is to include a darker background option for text outside of subtitles. A lot of mission-critical details and waypoints are essentially just white text at the top of the screen, meaning I've spent a whole lot of time driving through missions with them being essentially unreadable against the daytime sky.

You just reminded me of a thing that's been bugging me in Death Stranding, which I picked up recently and have been really enjoying. The compass overlay is in white (or possibly a very light blue). It's always daytime. This isn't much of a problem in areas where the background terrain is mud or grass or rocks (though sometimes the markers you can set can be hard to notice, but that might just be me). However, I recently got into the mountains, with snow as the new environmental condition. Navigating with the compass is difficult but not impossible, because bringing up the compass hud also pops up any objectives or markers you have, and objectives are easy to see. But trying to stay oriented when you can't see the compass directions is annoying and I should be able to color the hud bright purple like I can with my hat and backpack.

Also, every boss fight is another low point, mostly because it breaks up the chill The Postman homage/literal walking simulator to make me fight lovecraftian tar monsters (or soldier skeletons, and that one is my least favorite of all).

Fifty Farts has a new favorite as of 03:00 on Nov 17, 2021

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Rockman Reserve posted:

pretty sure they’re based off of an old horror/sci fi novel where a would-be school shooter is in Japan without access to guns so he kills off his entire high school by programming qabbalistic demon summoning rites into the schools’ lab computers

Wasn't the novel series named Digital Devil Story Megami Tensei? All I really remeber hearing about them was that they were where Digital Devil Saga got its English name from.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's what the original two Megami tensei games were based off of, as well as the Nineties ova. Words cannot describe what an absolute Elliot Rodgers Nakajima is in that book

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
JFC dragon age inquisition. You did not need jumping puzzles. The jumping controls are crap at best and there’s nothing to indicate whether a slope is climbable or not. Invisible walls everywhere. Just ugh. You’re not a platformer! Why?

Also I wish there was a way to make the 3 characters you’re not controlling do nothing unless you specifically tell them to. Micromanaging the big dragon fights is loving hellish when you turn around and suddenly your mage is sprinting towards the dragon’s gaping maw for no reason.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Frank Frank posted:

JFC dragon age inquisition. You did not need jumping puzzles. The jumping controls are crap at best and there’s nothing to indicate whether a slope is climbable or not. Invisible walls everywhere. Just ugh. You’re not a platformer! Why?

Also I wish there was a way to make the 3 characters you’re not controlling do nothing unless you specifically tell them to. Micromanaging the big dragon fights is loving hellish when you turn around and suddenly your mage is sprinting towards the dragon’s gaping maw for no reason.

IIRC, you can turn off things in the party tactics screen and that should keep them from doing most things. I don't exactly remember if you can completely turn off auto-attacking, though.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Suleman posted:

IIRC, you can turn off things in the party tactics screen and that should keep them from doing most things. I don't exactly remember if you can completely turn off auto-attacking, though.

I’ll look again but the only options I saw were behaviors to have each individual character either attack your target or defend the character you are controlling.

I gotta say though - the dragon encounters are as perfect as I’ve ever seen in a video game. Everything from the sense of scale, to their behavior to the way they move just feels perfect. They feel like D&D battles come to life. I don’t think I’ve ever had the urge to take screenshots while playing a game before.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I know most 4X games fall apart in the late game but I’m really struggling to see my Endless Space 2 game through.

My giant alliance is at war with their giant alliance so 90% of my actions are either sieging down their planets (which takes a long time even with specialized siege ships) or chasing around the dozens of two ship fleets that are wandering around our space.

Late game buildings are either not interesting, incredibly niche, or prohibitively expensive so I just have most of my planets on the ‘indefinitely make science’ order or building ships.

My allies, despite having huge empires themselves, don’t seem to have any navies that I can see, so it feels very 1v3.

Quick repairing your ships in a space dock is incredibly expensive and passive healing at the space dock is super slow. It feels like it’s a better plan to just sell the damaged ship and rebuild a new one in two turns as opposed to waiting six for the ship to heal.

The game has a mechanic called Dust Inflation which, as far as I can tell, is just a penalty to your income that grows as the game goes on. I can see why this mechanic exists but it feels really bad when you’re only making a 20 dust profit and when you check your finances you realize you’re losing 400 a turn to the inflation.

All of my planets are at max population and are taking some happiness penalties as a result, but there isn’t anything I can do to address the problem. I could convert one population into 300 manpower but I’m sitting at over 2k so that’s not worth it and I can’t colonize new planets because I’m at my planet cap.

Game is still real fun though, just has some issues.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Captain Hygiene posted:

I know someone who works on the Forza social media team and you might be able to get the feedback to the devs through @forza_support on Twitter.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Shiroc posted:

I know someone who works on the Forza social media team and you might be able to get the feedback to the devs through @forza_support on Twitter.

Oh thanks, I was trying to figure out which account to make a suggestion to last night, but got tired and forgot about it. Looks like this looks to their support site, I'll try to figure out how to report something on there.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Captain Hygiene posted:

Oh thanks, I was trying to figure out which account to make a suggestion to last night, but got tired and forgot about it. Looks like this looks to their support site, I'll try to figure out how to report something on there.

It looks like this page has the 'submit a ticket' link https://support.forzamotorsport.net/hc/en-us/articles/360007687533-How-do-I-report-a-bug-. A human will eventually look at the ticket and if you write up the issue clearly and as an accessibility thing like your post, its more likely to get turned into a bug for the team.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

The new Pathfinder game is way too drat fond of putting random enemy patrols every-loving-where. I'm not even through the first act and I'm already kinda getting sick of crushing random pointless groups of cultists. Right now I'm in the middle of what should be a cinematic assault against a demon-held fortress, but in practice it's a drawn-out slog because every single hallway and closet contains a couple of cultists or demons. Killing them is completely trivial and uninteresting, it's just a waste of time.

It's doubly weird/funny because it hews so closely to the tabletop game, and one of the most basic and commonly repeated mantras for running good tabletop sessions is "don't throw pointless combat encounters at your players when they don't serve any purpose".

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I picked up Celeste again and I'm actually really far into the game this time. Like, way, way farther than I'd ever thought I'd get. All the strawberries and I've finished the first C-side and I made it past the first heart of the DLC where before I couldn't even finish Core.

So now I'm introduced to wavedashing and goddamn it's starting to hurt my fingers. I just can't get the timing right. I'm sure I'll manage eventually because it was exactly the same with those upward ledge dashjumps (?) but right now it's frustrating as gently caress. Once is okay, but now I have to chain two of them into an upward ledge dash jump (dunno if those ever get a name) and pfffff.

(This is not a slight on the game at all, by the way. Celeste is literally one of the best games I've ever played. I'm just venting a bit.)

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm at a point in Dragon Quest 11 where I feel I have to grind a bit now because the boss fight with the giant octopus is ruining my day badly. I've already got some new spells that will be quite nice for the fight that I didn't have before, but I hate when games let me get away with not grinding too much and then throw a really hard fight all of a sudden. My main problem is that he does a chunk of damage to multiple characters at a time and that's hard to recover from in this game.

Eels
Jul 28, 2003

Shootenanny

BioEnchanted posted:

I'm at a point in Dragon Quest 11 where I feel I have to grind a bit now because the boss fight with the giant octopus is ruining my day badly. I've already got some new spells that will be quite nice for the fight that I didn't have before, but I hate when games let me get away with not grinding too much and then throw a really hard fight all of a sudden. My main problem is that he does a chunk of damage to multiple characters at a time and that's hard to recover from in this game.

Without giving you spoilers, some of those fights are much more manageable with early unlockable multi-heals on specific characters. Because respecing is so easy, you might wanna play with your character builds to unlock some of those abilities.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

BioEnchanted posted:

It’s not outstandingly conveyed, but that fight has a trick where you can get an NPC to subdue him for a bunch of turns iirc. Also, are you using Sylvando? He gets a party heal that’s pretty op until like halfway through the postgame.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Last Celebration posted:

It’s not outstandingly conveyed, but that fight has a trick where you can get an NPC to subdue him for a bunch of turns iirc. Also, are you using Sylvando? He gets a party heal that’s pretty op until like halfway through the postgame.

I'd already read about Sylvando's move and specifically respecced him, then swapped out the party so it was the MC, Jade, Sylvando and Serena. That pretty much carried me through the fight, but grinding a bit had helped as I had some good moves to use that I wouldn't have had, so I'm past that bit.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

The Moon Monster posted:

Correct, every person who plays SMT knows this, it's still a poo poo mechanic.

I'm still glad it's there. I came into SMT fairly late by way of Persona and having every enemy be a legitimate threat is the perfect antidote to more grindy RPGs where winning is just about having bigger numbers.

I'm slowly working my way through Nocturne and while I don't mind the PS2-era jank, the manual analyze system is painful compared to later titles that have real-time pop-ups.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

The Moon Monster posted:

Correct, every person who plays SMT knows this, it's still a poo poo mechanic.

I thought the other SMT just had those be instant death weak or not? They either killed or didn't with no damage dealt?

SMT V gives them damage but if something is weak there's a chance it'll instant gib them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

norton I
May 1, 2008

His Imperial Majesty Emperor Norton I

Emperor of these United States

Protector of Mexico
One thing that bugs me about forza is the tons of race cars in the catalog with not much in the way of description.

You think there would be a short blurb of text, [Car] was built between [year] and [year], and competed in [race series]. [Auto journalist/YouTube personality] said car was [good/bad] because of [unique quirk]. Car would be great for [type of event].

I have to get out my phone and check Wikipedia.