Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
No you can totally do that. Don't forget about us when you make it to the top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Crypto is, truly, a city of thieves. There is nobody at any level of the crypto world who will make real money except by scamming people or by simply finding a greater fool. That’s it. That’s the grift. Scams and hot potato.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Main Paineframe posted:

The stock market is pretty bad right now, but during the height of the Albanian Ponzi craze, the rates of return were in a whole different world. Part of the problem is that the different Ponzis started competing against each other, promising more and more unrealistic rates of return in an effort to win customers from each other. By the time of the collapse, Sude was offering to double your money in two months, and Xhaferri was offering to triple your initial investment in three months. Interest rates of 30+% every month are straight-up absurd.

I can start to see how this turned into a civil war. I wonder how many scammers managed to get out of the country before they were strung up.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

https://twitter.com/inputmag/status/1461081346957324289

it's literally like starting a social club but with extra steps of having to be on the blockchain.

the article is good, if only that it at least considers the part where it's a complete scam.

but also, jfc, jimmy fallon, steph curry, etc all bought one of these stupid things.

quote:

Now that we’ve all survived a near-death experience together — and truly, for the first time this week, I feel WAGMI deep inside my bones — I decide to broach the grift question: What do you say to the people who call BAYC a scam?

The bus, until now filled with the sound of ape chatter, goes silent.

Ong pauses before answering. “I understand that people have doubts and reservations about the world of NFTs,” he says. “My goal is to build a community so strong that it’s a compelling argument to help people understand why NFTs are the bridge into persistent digital ownership that can take us into the future, which will be immersive digital worlds, which I call the metaverse.”

He pauses again. “That’s all.”

quote:

To Digging4Doge, NFTs like BAYC “even the playing field.” He adds, “All these big companies and celebrities entering the space, they have real-world clout, but they’re clueless here. Some big hotshot comes to talk to me about NFTs, it shrinks them down to size. Because they don’t know what they’re talking about, and I do.”

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
I'm actually really mad I didn't think to auction off the internet one hyperlink at a time first

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Where does your NFT go if the website breaks, is there a backup copy?

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
Why is everything so loving stupid?

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

keep punching joe posted:

Where does your NFT go if the website breaks, is there a backup copy?

of the content itself? yes because an nft is not actual content
of the reciept "proving" you own it? lol no get hosed. people would just have to trust your receipt connects to content and without that linkage there is no way so your worthless link is now actually worthless even to idiots.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
So the NFT is just the address of the lovely monkey jpg, not the jpg itself.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

keep punching joe posted:

So the NFT is just the address of the lovely monkey jpg, not the jpg itself.

One possible address as the file can be copied infinitely

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Hmm seems like a bad investment if you ask me.

Justa Dandelion
Nov 27, 2020

[sobbing] Look at the circles under my eyes. I haven't slept in weeks!

The ~68% was inclusive of payment gateway and taxes but I'll concede the point. I don't really understand how nfts work.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Justa Dandelion posted:

The ~68% was inclusive of payment gateway and taxes but I'll concede the point. I don't really understand how nfts work.

Yeah and that's the problem, right there. To be clear, I'm not blaming you, it's not your fault. The way crypto and NFTs are being talked about in the media and online obfuscates everything about how they actually function and is intended to draw in as many people as possible with the implication that the technology can solve all sorts of problems. But it can't. It's just adding another middleman layer and/or turning your product into a speculative commodity, that's it.

Hungry fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Nov 18, 2021

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
NFTs: The commodity where the people who know what they are buying, know that they are buying nothing.

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Strong Sauce posted:

https://twitter.com/inputmag/status/1461081346957324289

it's literally like starting a social club but with extra steps of having to be on the blockchain.

the article is good, if only that it at least considers the part where it's a complete scam.

but also, jfc, jimmy fallon, steph curry, etc all bought one of these stupid things.

How long until BAYC transforms into a proud boys esque right wing militia?

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

Illuminti posted:

How long until BAYC transforms into a proud boys esque right wing militia?

Yeah I'm super-curious about the Venn diagram between those guys, vapers, and Trump people.

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

Salt Fish posted:

You have to pay fees for every one you mint, so the NFT community of scammers who are washing their money with etherium would appreciate your contribution to the price of eth.

Brilliant.

It's a money filter at every step. You just have to have enough cash in reserve to climb the steep, 3-sided slope of the NFT structure. Then after reaching the top you cash out quickly before sliding back down the other side.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

LordArgh posted:

Why is everything so loving stupid?

I think this so many times a day now.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Ok, so I don't know if you know this but minted NFTs go on this public blockchain, but that's too visible and open for security minded people like myself. So I am going to create a new kind of NFT. A private NFT on a block chain of one. Visible only to the select people you want. Come at me, right clickers, as I take any image and run it through our propritary algorithm to encrypt your image making it indecipherable to the outside world. Currently no art is safe from these childish theives but by encrypting the image we will only all for them to download static. Our methodology also doubles your investment immediately on its face: You will be minted not one, but TWO Tokens. One, a smaller, easily transmittable NFT so that a select group of people of your choosing can view your art, and a private Grandiose NFT for just yourself proving ownership.
To summarize:
NFTs:
Public, for everyone to see
Easily Right-Clicked Images
Only links go on public block chain
Only of ugly images
Old, Tired

Hoot Tokens (HooTs)
Private, for your exclusive use.
Completley RSA encrypted save proof
Private, Single-owner personal block chain
Any digital asset
Double your value with two Tokens per
New, Wired

Get on the ground floor now!

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

HootTheOwl posted:

Ok, so I don't know if you know this but minted NFTs go on this public blockchain, but that's too visible and open for security minded people like myself. So I am going to create a new kind of NFT. A private NFT on a block chain of one. Visible only to the select people you want. Come at me, right clickers, as I take any image and run it through our propritary algorithm to encrypt your image making it indecipherable to the outside world. Currently no art is safe from these childish theives but by encrypting the image we will only all for them to download static. Our methodology also doubles your investment immediately on its face: You will be minted not one, but TWO Tokens. One, a smaller, easily transmittable NFT so that a select group of people of your choosing can view your art, and a private Grandiose NFT for just yourself proving ownership.
To summarize:
NFTs:
Only of ugly images
Old, Tired

Hoot Tokens (HooTs)
Any digital asset
New, Wired

I appreciate how this is so stupid it makes me dissociate.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/CoinersTakingLs/status/1461197386294853638

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
i too steal from his wife

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

What do you want to do? Who do you want to be?

HootTheOwl posted:

To summarize:
NFTs:
Only of ugly images
Old, Tired

Hoot Tokens (HooTs)
Any digital asset
New, Wired

Right now someone is trying to sell this to their boss in between snorting coke which they are also trying to sell to their boss

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I appreciate how this is so stupid it makes me dissociate.

HFSP
Meanwhile I'm getting rich marketing PKIs as the next big thing in crypto.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I think this crypto poo poo should be a sobering reminder of how loving stupid and greedy people are, and to steel your own resolve against the greed and stupidity endemic to all of us. Top to bottom it’s just greed and stupidity. If trump gets re-elected and does a kristallnacht to redistribute all the wealth of prominent democrats and political rivals, these exact same people will be doing mental hurdles to praise it because of greed and stupidity. They know they’re stealing each other’s money, that’s a feature not a big of their system

busalover posted:

Yeah I'm super-curious about the Venn diagram between those guys, vapers, and Trump people.

It’s a circle, but it’s on the block chain

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
https://twitter.com/geoffreyhuntley/status/1461322836165885954?s=21

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the bitcoin bubble is gonna collapse and take down global capitalism lol

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I guess it would be pretty funny if blockchain poo poo finally goes away before burning the planet but at the same time it causes a global economic collapse and nuclear war

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

ErrorInvalidUser posted:

the bitcoin bubble is gonna collapse and take down global capitalism lol

All of crypto is worth less than apple. It would probably effect the stock market but it wouldn't come close to collapse, or even a recession.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

The .NFO is a nice authentic touch.

How long before ISPs block access to illegitimate hyperlinks???

You wouldn't steal a link :smith:

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

For all of how incredibly stupid NFTs are, them being "only" a URL is the wrong thing to latch on to. That specific piece of the puzzle is actually fine-ish. The URLs in :airquote: legit :airquote: NFTs are more like a torrent magnet link. As long as whoever owns that NFT keeps doing the ipfs equivalent of seeding, it'll stay online.

Obviously, this only works if the people buying the NFTs are aware of it and are willing to effectively pay for hosting the image out of their own pocket. NFT sellers are trustworthy people after all. They would never fail to mention that there is an expected responsibility on the part of owners :rolleyes:.

Aramis fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Nov 18, 2021

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

It's fine in the sense that that's what it is and it'd be theoretically functional if you needed an extremely expensive way to log URLs, but the whole selling point of NFTs is that they're actually some kind of "decentralized" contract giving you an enforceable copyright to a monkey jpg that somehow doesn't depend on Big Government the way a real copyright would, because of the blockchain. Nobody wants to buy a loving URL.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Mega Comrade posted:

All of crypto is worth less than apple. It would probably effect the stock market but it wouldn't come close to collapse, or even a recession.

Also importantly it isn’t institutional money, it’s mostly dumbfucks in the tech industry.

Also also an (old, old) family friend was upset because I cautioned him and told him not to invest in cryptocurrency and he thinks I don’t know what I’m talking about (I work in finance) because Bitcoin has doubled since then.

I hate everything

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

If NFTs were marketed as the world's most expensive URL shortener, then no one would care. But its proponents are saying stuff like "decentralize" ownership and other gibberish when it's tinyurl with a 1000000000000000000000000000000% markup. And of course it's literally, LITERALLY in some cases, selling the Brooklyn Bridge since the NFT minter doesn't have to prove pesky things like "provenance" or even "ownership of the underlying asset."

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Those sorts of concepts only get in the way of the blockchain improving society.

Bridgecoin coming soon

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Does anyone remember that torrent on the pirate bay called "EVERY IPv4 ADDRESS EVER txt [hacking tool]"?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

This reminds me of some artist that DLed millions of $$$$ of pirated stuff and displayed the HDD at a musuem.

Also reminds me of other gimmick torrents / files that have 10 or 100 K$s worth of fonts.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Aramis posted:

For all of how incredibly stupid NFTs are, them being "only" a URL is the wrong thing to latch on to. That specific piece of the puzzle is actually fine-ish. The URLs in :airquote: legit :airquote: NFTs are more like a torrent magnet link. As long as whoever owns that NFT keeps doing the ipfs equivalent of seeding, it'll stay online.

Obviously, this only works if the people buying the NFTs are aware of it and are willing to effectively pay for hosting the image out of their own pocket. NFT sellers are trustworthy people after all. They would never fail to mention that there is an expected responsibility on the part of owners :rolleyes:.
The funny part is the non fungible token is the database entry. The link itself is fungible as gently caress as evidenced by all the right clickers or the guy who served different content to different people ignoring the token.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
pretty sure most Bros think fungible is another synonym for physical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Words have no meaning in the crypto space, except for whatever makes number go up.